Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week

Jun 8, 2020, 6:41 PM

Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney went on the record late Monday afternoon about events that have swirled over the program over the last week, and he says he would fire any coach that called a player a racial slur. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week

Jun 8, 2020, 6:48 PM

So proud to have this man lead the Clemson football program and represent Clemson University.

To those who have questioned his character, well, I am going to refrain from saying what I'd like too, except shame on you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad Dabo came out and addressed all of this

Jun 8, 2020, 8:16 PM

I think he should've known better than to wear that shirt right now though. I really thought the pic was either old or photoshopped because I just couldn't imagine Dabo wearing that right now with everything going on but I guess he did.

And I 100% believe him that he didnt mean anything by it, but wearing that shirt right now is just asking for more criticism and I'm very surprised he did not realize that.

He said the picture was 3 years old. Do you even read ?***

Jun 8, 2020, 10:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I read that the shirt was 3 years old but not the

Jun 9, 2020, 9:42 AM

picture. I apologize if I misunderstood but I do not remember anything in the article about the photo being 3 years old.

I just read the article again and I still don't see where you are getting that

Jun 9, 2020, 9:48 AM [ in reply to He said the picture was 3 years old. Do you even read ?*** ]

He wasn't trying to mock anything with the "Football Matters" shirt he was pictured in over the weekend. He said anyone saying that he was mocking the “Black Lives Matter” movement with the shirt is attacking his character.

“I had a t-shirt on that someone took a picture of me, that asked to take a picture, and it's a shirt I've had for a couple of years"

---------------

If you saw that somewhere else, please link. Otherwise perhaps it's you that did not read?

Re: I just read the article again and I still don't see where you are getting that

Jun 9, 2020, 10:04 AM

I didn't catch where he (or anyone) gave the timeframe of the photo; but someone mentioned it was an OK or OKST fan so I assume the pic was taken pre-lockdown at least.

David's article literally says "over the weekend"

Jun 9, 2020, 10:10 AM

That is what i am going off of. If that is incorrect the article probably needs to be clarified.

Re: David's article literally says "over the weekend"

Jun 9, 2020, 11:07 AM

I went to the source material - it appears he did wear the shirt this past week at The Reserve (beside the pool maybe). An OK alum took a pic and thanked Coach for being so nice. Poor timing on shirt but still pretty lame to accuse the man and question his character. A lot of college and NFL people have that shirt - have had it for years.

My all time hero, hands down

Jun 8, 2020, 6:59 PM

Super human. Unbelievable. Model for the world. I don't think I'll see another person as pure as CD Swinney in my lifetime.0

I wish more people on this site had his wise, kind, caring thoughtful perspective on things. Including me.

Re: TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week

As always, Dabo was way ahead of his critics....

"I've been living this way for 30 years"
"Jeff Davis and I have been teaching generational change since the day after I was hired"
"Willie McC has been helping me create a program that models racial harmony since December of '08"

As always, Dabo was way ahead of his critics....

"I've been living this way for 30 years"
"Jeff Davis and I have been teaching generational change since the day after I was hired"
"Willie McC has been helping me create a program that models racial harmony since December of '08"

This man is a role model. And, anyone who thinks otherwise

Jun 8, 2020, 7:09 PM

is a fool.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Or lazy.

Jun 8, 2020, 8:04 PM

I don't know that I've ever read a critical column of Dabo following an actual interview. It's mostly been an analysis of a quote or an answer to another reporter's question that have served as fodder.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 7:09 PM

It's sad that the only thing some people have is to tear other people down. I believe that's all they have to be heard. Trying to tear my character down will never get me to believe in your cause. I must see that you believe in it and is willing to win souls by doing the right thing. Then I will be willing to listen and join you to make things better in this crazy world.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without live sports to write about sports journalists are

Jun 8, 2020, 8:06 PM

getting a little desperate for material and clicks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Three reasons I see for tearing someone down:

Jun 9, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week ]

1. They criticize the characteristic in the other person that they don't like in themselves or don't want to admit they have. This is projection.
2. They believe the other person is better than themselves and have to bring them down to their level so that they are "equivalent". This is denigration.
3. Total ignorance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jun 8, 2020, 7:20 PM

I’ve seen pastors go through similar seasons like Coach is in. Can’t recall too many men or women who loved Christ, who were powered by the Holy Spirit, go through this - grateful for his example. As Christ said “the world hated Me and they will hate you.”

Jun 8, 2020, 7:24 PM

The fact that a man of the highest character and values (a true role model in every sense) had to even respond to this rubbish is a sad statement on where we are right now. Proud of our coach. Haters will hate.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As A Black Male

Jun 8, 2020, 7:34 PM

I never needed to hear Coach Swinney say any of these words. I already knew who he was, is, and will hopefully continue to be. I have never seen a better White Football Coach (it’s important in this instance to qualify) for young black men. And he’s from Alabama. (again, that’s an important qualification) And I’ve said to much already. This was Stupid.

Jun 8, 2020, 7:40 PM

Dabo Pls- end comments on this here. No more responses to media hacks trying to stir things up. You've responded. Their satisfaction or lack of it is on them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a Bleeding Heart Liberal

Jun 8, 2020, 7:51 PM

Yes, I am a bleeding heart liberal and left of center and let me just say that what has happened to Coach Swinney and Clemson football this week is reprehensible. None of the critics, including that miscreant Paul Finebaum can hold a candle to Coach Swinney when it comes to character and integrity. It is outrageous that they can get away with what they say under the guise of journalistic freedom. The need for copy, clicks or headlines does not give one the right to attack a man’s soul. Coach Swinney’s players would follow their coach to the ends of the earth and would run through a brick wall for him. The only reason anyone would follow Finebaum is out of morbid curiosity. The man is out of his depth in a parking lot puddle. I think it would be great if Coach and the entire team would boycott speaking to ESPN and its minions for the entire season. There is not enough hand sAnitizer in all of creation to get the stink off of Finebaum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might be a Bleeding Heart Liberal

Jun 8, 2020, 8:00 PM

but lucky for you you aren't a typical liberal.

Re: From a Bleeding Heart Liberal

Jun 8, 2020, 8:41 PM [ in reply to From a Bleeding Heart Liberal ]

I was at a tipping point with this team that I’ve loved for close to 44 years of 53 years on this planet! I know u should never let anything posted on Twitter but seeing a man of good character no great character be taken apart by people who has not spent 1 ###### minute or a ###### second of their time with him impugn his character relentlessly! Really started to have me worrying that this would keep festering until he was relieved of his duties as coach & if that would’ve happened I would’ve not only walked from being a fan of the great sport of college football ?? but my beloved Tigers ?? as well! Thank you Coach Swinney for being the great Man U r! Always Remember he who boasts of his deeds has done no deeds! That saying is the very embodiment of Coach Swinney not once have I ever heard of him boast about all the things he’s done behind the scenes in Clemson! Sure there are things he does for photo ops but that’s required of every coach at this level! I’m talking about the things he’s done behind the scenes in Clemson & the surrounding communities! Actions over words so again thank you Coach Swinney! You have done a remarkable job for someone I didn’t think would last the length of your first contract! Let’s hope for another 10-15 great & exciting years with u at the helm of Clemson Tigers ?? football ?? along with Basketball ?? Coach Brownell!

Jun 8, 2020, 8:22 PM

I’m trying to figure out what being a conservative or liberal has to do with any of this. Which one was Christ? Isn’t he our Christian role model?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 9:03 PM

When someone is not a believer they cannot see past their own imagination of what the world should look like! The Bible speaks of this Romans 1:28 and it’s not going to get better for Christian”s. But the good news is that God promises justice for those who come up against the Saints ( Christians for those who don’t know that term) but it’s his justice not Man’s. The man of Perdition is out to destroy the unity of the Church by dividing each of us especially Christians, with Race and false doctrine that has creeped into most every church and just like he deceived Eve with the questioning of Gods authority and appealing to her senses(for all you feminist out there Adam willfully ate the forbidden fruit). It’s the same plan going on now people are seeking justice from this group or that and if they don’t get it, their feelings are aroused therefore it is their right to protest what I don’t like, and if God is not going to do something I will, kind of attitude. So it is sad that Dabo has to defend himself to Man but it is a sign of the times, because it’s only going to get worse and worse on this earth so I pray thy Kingdom come soon and thy will be done!

Jun 8, 2020, 8:52 PM

Dabo Swinney is a great human being, but I wonder if he is aware of everything Black Lives Matter supports, for example their latest cause: defund the police. While I support the sentiment that black lives matter, I don't support the organization Black Lives Matter.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that's good to know.

Jun 8, 2020, 10:21 PM

Good night!

Jun 9, 2020, 3:02 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week ]

During the part of the video where he states he supports “black lives matter,” when you take into account that he followed that by saying that “black lives EQUALLY matter,” he wasn’t showing support for that group, but saying that black lives matter as much as white lives or as much as all lives. “We’re all 5 stars in the eyes of God.”

Jun 9, 2020, 3:05 AM

Black lives matter doesn’t go far enough

Jun 9, 2020, 3:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney defends himself, says character was under attack over last week ]

Black lives matter doesn’t go far enough

What an inspiration he is to us all. Thank you Dabo!***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:15 AM

Jun 9, 2020, 9:32 AM

Anyone who would even suspect that Dabo ever would say that is so wrong. Also, I am sure the reason that Coach Pearman would have used it with a player would have been to make a point that it shouldn't even be said to friends. A hard point to drive home with today's "Hip Hop music" these kids listen to, non-stop. This entire thing is just some BS some envious wannabe reporter tried to use to build himself up with some of his anti-Clemson fan base who actually, along with him, are completely baseless, but oh so envious of what we have. They feel the need to tear us, or something, down to help them feel better about themselves. What jerks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David, please get on social media.***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:38 AM

Jun 9, 2020, 6:46 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that Dabo loves his black players just as he loves the white ones. Anyone who questions that, simply doesn't know the man. One of my proudest moments while at Clemson was when Harvey Gantt enrolled. I was there, I saw the cars pull up, I saw him get out and enter Tilman Hall to register. I saw him come out and return to his car. Nothing happened-no shouts, no jeers, no nothing. It was beautiful! I roomed in the same dorm and he was welcomed just like every other student, as it should have been. Another of the many reasons that I proudly proclaim myself a Clemson man.

Jun 10, 2020, 5:33 PM

Dabo if you believe what you believe, stand your ground.

Who am I?

I'm an African-American, Coastal Elite, Coastal Fool, former Marine Sgt, Vietnam veteran, USC [Columbia] grad, retired FED [Retired at 55 for those in Fly-Over America].

I am a member of IPTAY.

Clemson was my first choice coming out of high school in 1966. I didn't attend Clemson although being accepted back then cause as a black man, I was too afraid to come to Death Valley. I have a "Ali-Like" personality and I didn't think it would go over big back then.

As a black man I have never ever never said I knew how a woman felt.

I have never ever never said I knew how a gay man felt. When I go in the closet, I'm black, when I come out of the closet I'm black.

As a black man I have never watched Roots or the Roots 2nd series. I have never watched 12 Years A Slave. I have all the roots videos plus 12 Years A Slave. One of my favorite TV series is Jamestown. I watched it religiously up til the episode freaturing slaves in chains marching across a field. I turned the video off and haven't watched since.

I have a fiend people would have reacted negatively about what she said to me several years ago. She is a white female who grew up & was educated in Rhode Island. Theresa is my bestest buddie in all the world. Her husband and her 2 boys are my friends.

Theresa used the term "Colored People". I wasn't shocked cause I knew her so I asked her why? She said "Walter I've heard you say it and I've heard it on TV".

I explained to her she heard "People Of Color" and I explained to her why they weren't the same.

I like Dabo & I will never say a negative word about him.

Why I like him? Not for all the wins. Men [yes men, not players] who go through the Clemson program turn out to be real men, you never hear anything negative about his former players. His players who do get into the NFL, never show up on the "Players Who Are Broke".

He prepares these men for life.

For what I understand about this coach is he heard a statement from a player and he repeated the statement to let that player know we don't use such langage at Clemson.

Okay, here's my position as a black man, never use the statement cause people who are not black may think it's okay. The coach heard you use the statement and if I were a black coach on the Clemson staff I would have done the same thing the coach did. After Player X said "XXXXXX", I would have said to PLayer X, we don't use statements such as "XXXXXX" here at Clemson.

The Asst Coach and Dabo apologized.

I accepted the apology so I've moved on. When George Wallace asked for forgiveness before he passed on, I forgave him.

One more thing, I'm not speaking for Shannon or Skip from FS1.

Jun 10, 2020, 5:52 PM

Please people don't attack people who are critical of Dabo & Clemson.

Say what you have to say to support Dabo & Clemson.

Please don't tell people that after hearing what happen or viewing the tee-shirt that they are silly or stupid to feel what they felt.

You have never walked in their shoes.

Listen!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic