Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Season outlook: Clemson faces QB question as Playoff favorite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

TNET: Season outlook: Clemson faces QB question as Playoff favorite

Jun 26, 2018, 8:17 AM

Season outlook: Clemson faces QB question as Playoff favorite

What's the next step Kelly Bryant and the Clemson offense? What kind of freshman debut does Trevor Lawrence make? Breaking down the Clemson QB position. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigernet stirring the pot ... I thought we weren't supposed

Jun 26, 2018, 8:29 AM

to discuss this and trust Dabo.

At least that's what the board told me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigernet stirring the pot ... I thought we weren't supposed

Jun 28, 2018, 1:43 PM

Why shouldn't we discuss this----we do it for free! And, who pays the bills??

This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:02 AM

And the only reason that is true will be because of fans on the internet and a minority of gross people in the stands.

No matter what happens, it is 100% certain that Kelly Bryant will be mistreated by hundreds (or thousands) of Clemson fans. Most people have already made up their minds, and hardworking college athletes are usually mistreated when this happens.

I want the QB who gives us the best chance to win to play, but I am not going to behave like a trashy NFL fan if the coaches don't agree with me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:06 AM

You can bet that ESPN will do nothing but feed it. No matter who is playing QB, they will be talking about the other QB on the sideline...waiting to come in... after each punt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN has already fed it, but I noticed fans

Jun 26, 2018, 9:10 AM

were going to scream for it as soon as...

1. We signed a hugely hyped 5 star sky
2. Our offense was totally ineffective vs Bama (Not KB's fault but has been interpreted that way by many)
3. Bama pulled their starter for an untested fresh at half during the championship game.

Now local and national media have a recipe for a controversy frenzy and lost of grown adults don't know how to handle it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I work with a bama guy.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:50 AM

Last year I told him the difference between bama fans and Clemson fans.

Saban brings in a true freshman in the NC game to win and his fan base calls him a genius.

Dabo brings in a true freshman in the NC game to win and his fan base would scream...why haven't you played him all year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I work with a bama guy.

Jun 26, 2018, 6:42 PM

Ummm...Bama people were screaming for Tua basically all season.

Maybe not the one guy you work with, but by and large they were.

Re: ESPN has already fed it, but I noticed fans

Jun 26, 2018, 8:47 PM [ in reply to ESPN has already fed it, but I noticed fans ]

I like that you say it's NOT KB's fault that the offense was ineffective when I beg to differ, you didn't see Bama bringing the house every play against Deshaun because he would throw a dump over the middle for 10-15 yards. KB would try to run and it would deem ineffective and when he did throw it was either slow giving the defense time or slightly off target putting a WR who in 1 case (Cain) should've caught it but didn't which doesn't break the entire game just that series. The entire defensive scheme was based on pressuring the QB and daring him to use his arm and it worked to perfection, UGA did the same against Hurts and he was ineffective. Putting in the freshman forced UGA to respect his arm after just 1 series when he showed he can hit the short passes over the rush and they cooled off the pass rush opening up the run more as Bama loves forcing UGA to pick their poison. If losing that game isn't on KB then is it on KB at all for winning the other 12 when he wasn't very effective in most games especially late in the season? Would like to know because this has been something I've seen being brought up and wondering how you figure one way and not the other.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season. ]

If “fans” weren’t interested then ESPN wouldn’t show it. They are in the business of generating ratings and controversy whether real or manufactured delivers clicks and eyeballs.

Jun 26, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season. ]

Not if Clemson is beating the snot out of the opposing team. ;)

I duuno. ..went through the same last year with hunter johnson***

Jun 26, 2018, 9:27 AM [ in reply to This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

multiply that X 10***

Jun 26, 2018, 9:48 AM

I fear the truth.

Jun 26, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season. ]

Some folks can't defend their opinion without becoming emotional and going overboard. Talking one player up doesn't have to include talking another person down. It's emotional and lack civility and politeness. It ruins a discussion because it too often brings out the emotional worst of other.

KB is a faithful, diligent worker dedicated to always doing his best. Anyone who stoops to make their point by unduly criticizing KB is a blight on our fan base.

Obviously TL has a higher ceiling than KB. Obviously KB has experience going for him.

The simplest way to evaluate them comes down to this. Who is most likely to beat Bama in the NC game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season. ]

Kelly Bryant has the misfortune of playing between Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. There's a lot of guys playing on Sunday who look bad compared to Watson and, when all is said and done, Lawrence might be even better.

But let's not forget that KB2 has exceeded ALL expectations and is one of the top QBs in the country. He's one of the best QBs Clemson has ever had. (Looks a lot like Woodrow Dantzler 2.0.)

Unless someone just jumped on the Clemson bandwagon and doesn't know any better, 12-1 when healthy, an ACC Championship, and making the playoffs with a #1 seed during a rebuilding year on offense is a pretty good season.

If TL is the best QB we have—and he might be—then, obviously, he should be the starter. But KB2 has set a very high standard that TL must prove to the coaches that he can exceed.

Jun 28, 2018, 1:57 PM [ in reply to This QB controversy is going to stain this upcoming season. ]

I really haven't noticed anyone "mistreating," Kelly Bryant. My god, what?? Should he not expect competition at one of the premier football programs in the country?? And competition from the number-one player in the nation??? I don't have a dog in this race, but only say play the best we have. Based on what I've seen this far, TL is the best QB we have on the roster, but let them sort it out in fall practice. Either we are playing "big-boy" football or not. If it's "cub-scout" time again, then change the channel.

Re: TNET: Season outlook: Clemson faces QB question as Playoff favorite

Jun 26, 2018, 9:06 AM

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.....according to Dabo the best guy starts. Is TNET trying to say otherwise?

Screw Calford.

No, that's a fairly radical view.

Jun 26, 2018, 10:12 AM

The writers noted the difference between the talent and ceiling of each player. They asked the question who do we believe can win the last game. They gave their opinions and views to support it in a circumspect and objective way.

No one challenged the coaches' decision on who starts. That would be impossible because the coaches haven't spoken about starter yet.

I see both sides. While I believe that TL is going to finish this season as the starter I understand the two ways of seeing this. Either we throw him in the fire early with Furman so he can get his first start at home and play while the score is tied 0-0. That prevents the necessity of putting him in the job on the road in a very tough place to play and expecting him to win.

I also understand the opposite. Working him in slowly to gauge his ability to deal with pressure and slowly acclimating him to NCAA football.

If you want my opinion you can find it in just about any discussion here on who should be our starting quarterback.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, that's a fairly radical view.

Jun 28, 2018, 2:05 PM

Good points. I can only go on his personal history when in the spring game he went up against what is reportedly one of the best defenses (ours), and lit it up. KB fell flat. I'm not citing opinion here, just fact. I'm not sure where I stand, but feel we should just let the best player play, whoever it is. Too logical??

Jun 26, 2018, 9:10 AM

Concerning the accolades in the last section. Now that's what I consider putting pressure on the young man!
It's somewhat obvious Bryant will start the first two games. His performance against Texas A&M will dictate every game beyond that(assuming Lawrence is executing well)!
I'm extremely excited about all the possibilities. Also, good luck to Brice.
I'm hoping he can apply some pressure of his own! Just my two cents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 9:23 AM

Seems like David may have selected the order of response.

Nikki Hood:

"David and Brandon hit on all of the stats and the obvious"

"David pretty much summed up everything I would've said"

Well played Sir

null

Jun 26, 2018, 10:05 AM

Keep in mind that TL isn't scared of becoming the starter on a big time college program, and that is why he signed with Clemson. TL will fight tooth and nail to become the starter at Clemson bc becoming the starter on a top college team is what he has been groomed to do all through HS career. He come to Clemson expecting to beat out who ever the starter was, and give the best 3 years of college FB as he can muster, and then move on the Pros and play NFL FB. His heart and ability is to big to settle for 2nd place, and he won't be happy until he is named the best QB in college FB, and not bc of what he done in HS, it will be bc of what he done in college FB. IMO, TL is the type of kid that will never settle as #2 with a #1 heart, talent, and ability. KB's talent and skills is no where close to being good enough to get in TL's way!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 10:27 AM

Hit the nail on the head!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

If Furman is supposed to be the practice game, then let TL and Chase Brice play. Since Kelly Bryant played all last season, there should be no down side to him sitting out the first game. Doing this provides critical game experience to two inexperienced players who might have to be pressed into service early in the season if something happens to KB.

Jun 26, 2018, 11:22 AM

All this talk by the tnet experts is great regarding the skill of the two quarterbacks but one of the MOST important things go unmentioned.... having time to throw the ball in the various pass routes. Last year Bryant suffered at throwing the deep ball because his blocking was especially bad much of the time. We all saw Etienne benched because of his inability to block adequately. I can think of several times last year where his poor blocking caused us problems. None more apparent than the one that occurred in the championship game when the Tigers were about to score when the game was 10 -6. The turning point in that game for sure and it was not Bryant’s fault!

The pass protection will have to improve for Bryant to be successful and I believe it will with Williams back in the lineup and, hopefully, better play from ETN. I have not seen enough of Lawrence to know how he will adjust to the blocking but I bet the coaches know.

There are some conveniently overlooked

Jun 26, 2018, 12:09 PM

Points all around, regarding last year's team:
1. KB was always the gap between DW4 and TL. Clemson modified its' whole offensive approach to
accommodate his strengths and his experience. It was NOT the proto-typical Tiger scheme.
2. KB
a. Held the ball too long (correctable)
b. Did not really run the RPO, unless him keeping most all the time is considered
an option (correctable)
c. Passes to the flats were floaters, or inaccurate, or both, all too often (correctable)
d. He's not a true passing QB...he's a runner who can throw a bit...a shorter, more accurate
Logan Thomas. ;) (correctable...except height)
3. ETN arrived with unexpected talent, talent so eye-popping
a. The staff chose to RISK living with his deficiencies to capitalize on his talent.
b. He had not even been through a college weight program
c. Essentially, ETN was an amazingly strong (lower body), fast, and very raw talent
d. Yes, he missed some blocks, but pretending his cost the Bama game is laughable and worthy
of creating a 'comedy board' as mentioned in other threads. If Saban is being credited
with exploiting weaknesses, then credit him with the belief that KB couldn't throw against
his defense. He proved it.
e. It was ETN's presence that took the load OFF of KB at times...his threat was that real.
4. TL is every bit the talent DW4 was... coming in. He's
a. Confident
b. Fearless
c. Smart
d. Fast
e. Accurate
f. Every bit the player Dilfer and others think he is. TL hasn't opened his mouth...he's
simply performed...week after week...year after year...and he didn't blink when he stepped
on campus.
g. The the very definition of the type QB that Clemson seeks for its' offense.
5. Clemson is poised to win another Natty. KB can, if the improvement is there. TL can, if he's
what history has shown to date.

TL owes no apology for the attention he and the Tiger program are receiving. KB has to deal with that...it was always going to be there. TL garnering attention is not bashing KB. I wish KB all the success in the world with his 'correctables'...I wish TL all the success in the world with learning. Neither are bigger than the success I want to see this Tiger team achieve. One of them will take the keys and get the team there.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are some conveniently overlooked

Jun 26, 2018, 4:29 PM

I agree with what you say but believe me, Saban knew that pressure on Bryant was going to upset the entire Tiger offense. And it did. Rewatch the play I mentioned and tell me the missed block by ETN wasn’t a big play. We never recovered from that one play. Instead of a 13 - 10 game we ended up with 6 points and an embarrassing offense performance.

Don’t think for a moment that every opponent this year hasn’t dissected that game play by play. Fortunately Coach Swinney will put a different team on the field in 2018 .... and I can’t wait to see it! Go Tigers

Jun 28, 2018, 2:20 PM

They knew they could load the LOS with no fear downfield. Game over.

Jun 26, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to There are some conveniently overlooked ]

TL;DR....

Just kidding!!!! All Great points!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Season outlook: Clemson faces QB question as Playoff favorite ]

Did you notice his over-throws and other misses?

We need Bryant at QB for depth but I think he could be a possible

Jun 26, 2018, 11:31 AM

NFL prospect at WR,TE, Safety, & even LB if he had been at those positions earlier in his career. To be as big and agile as he is I’m afraid he might have missed his calling at one of those other positions. Way too much talent & intelligence to not be on the field.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Like the two OSU QB's who switched and made it to the NFL

Jun 26, 2018, 12:26 PM

as receivers...

Yep and Patrick Sapp made it as a LB. Dexter McCleon made it

Jun 26, 2018, 4:03 PM

as a CB. Brian Urlacher was a S in college then made it as a LB. I think Ray Ray might have been better at CB also.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Real news

Jun 26, 2018, 6:27 PM

Credit to Nikki, David and Rink for keeping it real. Hard to do in these PC times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Real news

Jun 26, 2018, 6:27 PM

Credit to Nikki, David and Rink for keeping it real. Hard to do in these PC times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another BS propaganda piece.

Jun 26, 2018, 6:33 PM

The most senior QB will start regardless of skill. That's how Dabo does it. He don't care what we think.

I didn’t know DW4 never started until 2015. Like I said your posts are so diverse and enlightening***

Jun 26, 2018, 6:42 PM

Jun 26, 2018, 9:21 PM

So I was right Cain dropped those passes to make Lawrence the starter this year. Bottom line Kelly made some awesome throws last year too bad 90% weren't to Hunter Tee or Rodgers or we'd all be seeing him in a different light.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2018, 2:14 PM

Well, all those he threw in the stands don't count. Now this can't be fair!

Jun 26, 2018, 9:21 PM

So I was right Cain dropped those passes to make Lawrence the starter this year. Bottom line Kelly made some awesome throws last year too bad 90% weren't to Hunter Tee or Rodgers or we'd all be seeing him in a different light.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2018, 2:22 PM

Jun 28, 2018, 8:06 PM

Bryant should be able to catch passes out of the backfield

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic