Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
lock This topic is locked - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 185
| visibility 51

TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina

Nov 25, 2018, 6:02 PM

Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney couldn’t wait to speak his mind on Sunday’s ACC Championship Game teleconference, and when he spoke he went scorched earth. Photo by Joshua S. Kelly / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em Dabo!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:08 PM

It's all a matter of perspective. I suffered through the lean years with our team and cherish every single win. And Dabo has brought us wins in boatloads. Nothing but respect for him and the team. And I get chills every time they play that 4th quarter video.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Tell 'em Dabo!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:21 PM

We get this from him. He was coaching like we were down by 14 and we were up by 21. Its a culture that he has created. That's not a bad thing. As for the "I should go somewhere else" comment, welcome to coaching a top 5 program. We are looking down the road to what is coming. When you become satisfied you become the South Carolina Gamecocks!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:26 PM

He’s doing his job. Our job as fans is to support the team...and coaches.

Clearly he’s never going to Alabama.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:36 PM

“I just want to win by one more point. If that ever gets to where that is not enough. It is time for me to move on to somewhere else… I’m definitely not going to be disappointed over a 21-point win over a state rival, ever.”

That somewhere else could be Cootlumbia. Those fans are happy with a 21 point loss. They are the greatest fans in the world, and dang proud of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly..if he thinks this is bad

Nov 25, 2018, 7:04 PM

good god he would be whining every week about the fans if he was at bama.

Re: exactly..if he thinks this is bad

Nov 25, 2018, 9:32 PM

good god he would be whining every week about the fans if he was at bama.

Perhaps that is indicative of what he knows Clemson was before Bowden came to Clemson. Some Clemson people are forgetting themselves a lot. Before Dabo, Clemson was a mediocre to a little above average program for 20 years. Think about that. 20 years. The things that Dabo has done at Clemson has surpassed anything any coach has ever done at Clemson. He is better than Ford. He is better than Frank Howard. No head coach at Clemson ever, remotely, had a program like this. Ever. The glorious 1980s produced one National Title (And probation) one perfect record (and probation) and five conference titles. An overall record of 87-25-4. A .750 winning percentage. Before that, with the exception of 1978, what had Clemson really accomplished since the 1966? Nothing.
The 1990s produced a whopping 69 wins for a 69-52-1 record. One conference title. One. A winning percentage of .565. What a powerhouse. Oh, and let’s not forget the multiple humiliations at the hands of FSU, and the multiple beat downs from the likes of NC State and UNC.
The 2000s were a mixture of hope and having that hope dashed. Repeatedly. Zero conference titles. One division title, and a record of 79-47 (Dabo’s Record was 13-8 with one division title during that time). That’s a winning percentage of .626. That’s not bad, but it isn’t great.
The 2010s have been unprecedented. Period. Through last night, there is a record of 100-22. That’s a percentage of almost .820. There have been four conference titles, two 12-0 seasons, five division titles, three straight football equivalents of the Final Four) and a possible additional conference title and fourth Final Four. That’s elite. That’s bordering of dynastic. Dabo is right. It is a sad commentary when people are disgruntled beating the Shamecocks 56-35 and for the fifth straight time. I hope Dabo doesn’t leave anytime soon because the level of winning culture that has transpired at Clemson is all him. If he gets disgruntled and leaves, I fear Clemson will return to what it was before: mediocre to a little above average. Sure, it would happen immediately, but I’d say it would begin to die within three to five years. Just like last time. I’ve never seen Clemson win like this, and I’m thankful I’ve been able to see it.

Re: exactly..if he thinks this is bad

Nov 25, 2018, 11:24 PM

Amen!! Our Seniors and our entire team and coaches deserve better than this from the fans. I would hope that he knows the true fans that support this team regardless are not running their mouth about the coaching or the score. These idiots need to stay off of the players social media pages. It was a great win and I hope that we have 3 more wins!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 25, 2018, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell 'em Dabo! ]

This is a B###S### comment here. Dabo is completely right. If you as a fan cannot be satisfied with a 12-0 record then beating our rival by 21, maybe you need to find another school to be apart of. This response makes me sick. His job is to coach until the season is over. It don’t matter if they’re winning by six touchdowns Dabo is gonna coach hard, it’s his d### job, and he’s one of the best. Yea the secondary looked awful last night, but hopefully that’s what brings them back down to earth. And I’m sure it is because of Dabo and his coaching ability. Hopefully one day Dabo doesn’t just say to heck with Clemson because of fans like you.

GoTigers
#muchrespectforDABO

Nov 26, 2018, 6:23 PM

I don’t really think anyone isn’t happy with the win. I feel like fans are concerned. The officiating was poor in the game, secondary played poorly, and then leaving upwards of 14 (probably more) points on the field are what people are looking at. Need to be at the top of our game from here on out. This will help motivate the guys and I feel like this weekend might be the best game of the year on all sides of the ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em Dabo! ]

“It’s hard to win”. #### right it is!!!!
I must admit I was a little disheveled by the defensive play last night, but then I thought back to the 2012 win against LSU and the utter elation I felt when we won that game and all the HUGE wins between then and now. I realized, I had no business feeling upset about a 21 point win against The coots. From now on, I will cherish every win and never take for granted the effort this team puts forth every day!!!!

Go Tigers!!!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 7:28 PM

Amen

Nov 27, 2018, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Tell 'em Dabo! ]

The D backs have been the concern all year....just cringing every game before being exposed. Really thought it would have been covered down on about week 4 or 5 but it hasn't. It took USC throwing there best game to pull back the covers. Now the World knows. D line will bust through and Tua will throw for the fences every time and will strike. After that being said I would rather play bama than Uga. The semi is going to be TOUGH! period, don't care who it will be. The coaches this weekend looked as if this was something new but the insiders have been concerned about it all year. Thanks To USC for pulling back the sheet early....Need special attention over the next 2-3 weeks. They need help! I think everyone's focus has been up front and not watching the backfield scramble. Look at Bama D backfield....very little shouting, shifting and adjusting. They will cover like pros if we cant bust that running attack. Georgia complete opposite with harder hitters in the front and middle.....will see hope the both lose out hahahahaha

1 Point is Worth A Million; 1 Second is Worth A Lifetime...

Nov 25, 2018, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em Dabo! ]

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!

Just ask LSU, Kentucky, and Missouri

Nov 25, 2018, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em Dabo! ]

I hope you read this TNet and all you naysayers. Dabo's dead right and those that suggested different are wrong. Great win with great effort. D needs coaching, but the O was there. Be supportive even if we lose down the line. Will you admit where we were 10 years ago. Give me a break.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em Dabo! ]

Two issues here: The offense----great!!! The performance of our defense----poor. Todeny this is to believe in the tooth fairy. Sorry, Dabo truth huts sometimes. Live with it, They crushed our defense, which looked totally inept at time. Coach Venables has expressed this view in very strong terms.Do you disagree?? You suggest that those of us fans who express misgivings about our defensive performance in this game as somehow being disloyal. Really?? You are making the millions, but does that mean that we don't have a right to our opinions?? Our defense played way,way below their abiliiies in the Carolina game. That observation is not a criticism, but a fact, one acknowledged by our outstanding defensive non-show.,

Nov 27, 2018, 12:09 AM [ in reply to Tell 'em Dabo! ]

ALL BS aside......who heard this? Did it even happen? The Columbia toilet paper has been straight up viral like their "moral Victory" in pushing this teleconference out but all I have seen are the 2 post game interviews. Someone drop a link so we can hear and comprehend what was really said, Man this crap sucks!

Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina

Nov 25, 2018, 6:09 PM

Good for Dabo! What he said needed to be said!!
Y’all keep it up and run him off!!
Good night 12-0.

“Those people” will never run him off.***

Nov 25, 2018, 6:13 PM

Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina

Nov 25, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

I totally agree! I have been coming to games since the early 60's. You savor the wins!! We need to be All In! Dabo and all the coaches also deserve our full support!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:10 PM

No one’s complaining about the win.. it’s the yards given up and missed assignments on D... if he’s blasting the fans, he’s gotta look at his D coordinator, too.. BV said he was disgusted with the D’s performance.. I love CDS.. but if “best is the standard”.. then don’t get mad when we expect our program to live up to their own standard.. and the D didn’t do that, Saturday night..

You seem to have the roles of coach and fan confused

Nov 25, 2018, 6:21 PM

The coach can be "disgusted" or "embarrassed" or whatever else because he may see the defense as a reflection of himself or his effort or leadership...

But "Best is the Standard" is not, and was never, intended to be a mantra for fans to bark and moan after games where their team beat their rival by 3 touchdowns to go perfect on the regular season.

Of course Dabo would acknowledge it wasn't a great defensive performance, but for a fan to walk away from that game with anything other than joy at winning and at having seen one of the singularly best offensive performances in Clemson History is a symptom of simply being spoiled by success.

Talking about what could be done better is normal. That's being a fan. Being exasperated in the moment is normal. That's being a fan. But to find anything other than simple joy in where we are now? That seems simply crazy to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No a$$hat it is perfectly ok to question giving up 500 yards

Nov 25, 2018, 6:56 PM

And yes best is standard Venables knows this cds should know it too

Nice, thanks for the namecalling

Nov 25, 2018, 7:02 PM

I stand by my statement that "Best is the Standard" is not intended to be a tool to backup griping about something after a 3 score win over your chief rival.

"Best is the Standard" is about always pushing YOURSELF forward. Be a better coach, be a better player, be a better fan. Be the best of whatever role you are playing that you can be.

Venables earned, with his relationship, his leadership, and his effort the right to criticize (and then coach up) the performance of the defense. That is his role, and per "Best is the Standard" he will be pushing himself to be as good as he can be.

It is not the role of the fan to walk away from that game griping. Sure, plenty to discuss (and to be honest most folks were doing just that, simple discussion), but some folks took it to a level that reflects they are simply spoiled by success and have confused the roles of coaches and fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thom +1 to you and Sparkle As$hat

Nov 25, 2018, 8:10 PM

The alum and/or fan can speak his mind as he sees fit. Right or wrong. If Dabo is taking umbrage and planning an exit strategy that is his prerogative. Sounds like Dabo is bristling which is not his nature. Enjoy those well-earned millions & millions coach and just win baby.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

He said we were probably as bad on the back end as he had seen. What more do you want him to say? The overall result is still positive. Dabo is a great motivator and coach. I know I trust him to do his job without my input. Or anyone else’s who isn’t paid to give it to him.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

gotigrz said:

No one’s complaining about the win.. it’s the yards given up and missed assignments on D... if he’s blasting the fans, he’s gotta look at his D coordinator, too.. BV said he was disgusted with the D’s performance.. I love CDS.. but if “best is the standard”.. then don’t get mad when we expect our program to live up to their own standard.. and the D didn’t do that, Saturday night..

Or you could appreciate the 700+ yards gained by the offense which was the most ever gained against a coot team

Nov 25, 2018, 7:12 PM

i hope the morons will be happy when dabo bolts after hearing enough of this trash. got to really love the entitlement generation. imagine the coaches saw what you morons did and will work hard to fix it

I’ve yet to see who these unhappy fans were

Nov 25, 2018, 7:17 PM

Re: I’ve yet to see who these unhappy fans were

Nov 25, 2018, 7:29 PM

There were many on here last night.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

People were b1tching during the game

Nov 25, 2018, 8:14 PM

Nov 25, 2018, 7:38 PM [ in reply to I’ve yet to see who these unhappy fans were ]

Most of which are bandwagon jumpers anyway. Dabo is smarter than that and he is also good at using the media to get his point across. That comment was directed at someone or some group in particular

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2018, 7:18 PM

It seems like he gained very little for the negative attention to program / fan base. He seemed to try and walk back some but still makes no sense. If he can explain why coach V was embarrassed and that is OK I would love to hear that speech. Maybe he's feeling a little entitled these days.

DE - if Dabo can find a fan base with no criticism

Nov 25, 2018, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

of coaching staff and play on the field, he will be the first. Clemson fan base has nothing to be ashamed of ...

Nov 26, 2018, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

It wouldn't be any different wherever Dabo went. Fans will be fans and will complain here and there. Also, if Dabo left because of an article that would be pretty weak. He s a loved coach and he knows that. I believe he is Allin. It's just talk. If he ever leaves, it won't be because of something like this.

Nov 25, 2018, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Pardon me... but the quote that started this was "When a win feels like a loss". Kindly stick to the heart of the matter and not your thoughts on defensive lapses or how they should be handled.

Dabo was right on target.

Nov 26, 2018, 1:35 PM

Wow! From Dabo's reaction you'd think the article represented a majority of the fan base. Was there more than one author? Doesn't he realize that you can't please all the people all the time? Every fan base will include a few idiots but don't tar us all with the same brush, Dabo.

Nov 25, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

exactly, i guess Coach V needs to go find another program. I disagreed from beginning it felt like a loss, it definitely felt like a win, since it was one. But really with the ra ra ####, our secondary was horrible and "embarrassing". I guess only coaches can look for something to improve, fans just accept it as a win?

Nov 25, 2018, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

gotigrz said:

My thoughts exactly

I've been with Clemson since '77 and have experienced the highs and lows. I love the success we've had but my dissatisfaction from last night comes from last night and last night alone. If I, as a lifelong fan, can't express frustration about the myriad of mistakes the D made that allowed the coots to stay in the game, then I should be free to express that.

But, don't ever question my loyalty to the team, ever.

You are who he is talking about - congrats.***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:09 PM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

How do 9 knuckleheads give this garbage a TU ???***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 26, 2018, 3:08 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Go find yourself another winner.

AMEN AND AMEN !!!!***

Nov 25, 2018, 6:11 PM

How’s that crow taste?***

Nov 25, 2018, 6:11 PM

The "it's time to seek other places"

Nov 25, 2018, 6:12 PM

comment is scary. This is the greatest coach we've ever had and the thought of him leaving because of an entitled fan base is unnerving. Y'all need to quit with the nonsense and keep the ridiculous comments (and articles) to yourselves.

Re: The "it's time to seek other places"

Nov 25, 2018, 6:14 PM

If entitled fans are his kryptonite at least he won't be at Bama!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:15 PM [ in reply to The "it's time to seek other places" ]

I believe he was referring to those fans finding other places.

No, he clearly said “it would be time for me to

Nov 25, 2018, 6:18 PM

Move on to other places.”

Nov 25, 2018, 6:32 PM [ in reply to The "it's time to seek other places" ]

Dabo's been around the block enough to know that you'll have idiots making idiotic comments. The comment was wrong headed and foolish,... AND was responded to with a foolish comment from Dabo.
No doubt he's been our most successful coach. By a long shot. There's also no doubt that Clemson has provided Dabo with a (mostly) superb fan base, best in the country facilities, and the financial backing needed in all areas to be successful.
This is not a one man show, but has been mutually rewarding. Dabo can't be going around threatening to quit when he hears one stupid comment. We expect more of him than that.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:36 PM

It didn’t sound like a threat to me. He’s just saying that is not the way he’s going to run his program. Fans who want to complain need to grow a little thicker skin themselves. It’s a great time to be a Tiger!!!!

LOL, "Threatening to Quit"

Nov 25, 2018, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The "it's time to seek other places" ]

He said nothing even close to that.

He simply said when that sort of reaction becomes the norm he wants no part of it, and will find himself somewhere else to be.

Luckily that sort of reaction is not the norm, and it shouldn't be, because it's patently stupid.

Kind of reminds of Florida fans toward the end of Spurriers

Nov 25, 2018, 6:48 PM [ in reply to The "it's time to seek other places" ]

run at Florida.

if he leaves because fans

Nov 25, 2018, 7:05 PM [ in reply to The "it's time to seek other places" ]

are unhappy with the way they play a game then he was thinking about leaving long before hand.

Is their audio of this? Tone, voice inflection matter. Print

Nov 25, 2018, 8:18 PM [ in reply to The "it's time to seek other places" ]

Can be very deceptive

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is their audio of this? Tone, voice inflection matter. Print

Nov 25, 2018, 9:47 PM

https://clemsonsportstalk.com/s/2956/dabo-swinney-if-12-0-aint-good-enough-its-time-to-seek-other-places?fbclid=IwAR2rS5t0K8fNLFi1EyF6uyUs_X7gif7-8-_-B1OKHVotxi2wozbIJ0zzGB0

Thanks, sounded worse on audio

Nov 26, 2018, 7:21 AM

Sigh. Was hoping it wouldnt be as bad on audio.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give it to them straight. Davo will always support his players and team over media and fans even hometown folk. Enjoy the ride. If you want to feel a loss go to coot town. Love me some Tigers.

Well said Dabo. Best coach in the country!

Projecting?

Nov 25, 2018, 6:13 PM

There were comments about him being hard on players so he might be projecting too.

Much love to the team. Y'all put it in and it shows. Who cares if teams do well when we crush them? Win by 1 every time baby.

Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney couldn’t wait to speak his mind on Sunday’s ACC Championship Game teleconference, and when he spoke he went scorched earth. Photo by Joshua S. Kelly / USATODAY Full Story »

Maybe Dabo should relax. Probably some people trolling us.

An ungrateful, unrealistic fan base will run Dabo off

faster than anything. It won't be Alabama calling him home, although if we end up having Alabama type expectations than there is no reason for him not to go. The reality is we have some idiots among our fan base. They are mostly bandwagon fans that never suffered through Hatfield, West and Bowden. Those of us that did know how special this era is and treasure it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This David Hood person is not a Clemson man, and he does not

Nov 25, 2018, 6:15 PM

represent the thoughts of the Clemson fan-base.

I hope that Coach Swinney understands how grateful the VAST MAJORITY of Clemson fans are for the efforts and accomplishments of Dabo, his coaches, and his players over these many years.

it was fake news - or bad judgment - take your pick

Nov 25, 2018, 6:24 PM

But I agree,the comment (if true) does NOT represent the views of almost all true Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This David Hood person is not a Clemson man, and he does not

Nov 25, 2018, 6:27 PM [ in reply to This David Hood person is not a Clemson man, and he does not ]

I hope that Coach Swinney understands how grateful the VAST MAJORITY of Clemson fans are for the efforts and accomplishments of Dabo, his coaches, and his players over these many years.

Until David Hood's article I thought his blood was orange. "Not so fast my friend" he in my opinion proved that thought to be incorrect.

All I can say is that was the dumbest article I have ever read. He owes Dabo,the coaches and the team an apology for even putting something so stupid in print.

I am one of the vast majority. Love my tigers always!

And DH is precisely who Dabo’s comments were aimed.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:41 PM [ in reply to This David Hood person is not a Clemson man, and he does not ]

To quote a random anonymous source is poor journalism at best. Then to use that to spin it into an article supporting those comments reeks of fake news. I can’t say if it was or not (there are certainly stupid fans at all schools), but to actually write an article on such a pathetic comment and then to essentially say the same thing yourself is sorry. Just say what you want to say if that’s how you feel.

All I know is we are undefeated and still have a shot. I’ve watched the very best team have an off night and lose in playoff games in all sports. Let’s hope we click on all cylinders going forward. But even if we don’t, be thankful for the greatest era of Tiger football ever. And the greatest coach! Go Tigers!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:16 PM

I guess he was blasting Venables too because he said he was disgusted with last night....

Nope. Venables is not a fan.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:22 PM

Stop equating the roles of coaches, players, and fans.

Re: Nope. Venables is not a fan.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:25 PM

Has nothing to do with whether you’re a fan or coach. It’s a mentality.

Yep its a mentality

Nov 25, 2018, 6:31 PM

One which is entirely appropriate for a coach or player whose actual effort goes directly into the outcome. The best in "Best is the Standard" relates to the effort, not the outcome.

And in that way, your (our) job as a fan is to be the best fans we can be. That is where our standard lies, not in moaning about outcomes... ESPECIALLY in a season where we our undefeated.

So yeah, its an attitude, a mentality.

And it sounds to me like you believe somehow as a fan you are entitled to win every game by 50 or else you get to harp on "Best is the Standard".

Nov 25, 2018, 6:18 PM

Sadly it needed to be said, and I'm glad he did. A win is a win. Some fans believe the only measure of a good season is a national championship. SMH

While Dabo is correct about spoiled fans

Nov 25, 2018, 6:19 PM

I guarantee you he is beyond plssed about the very same defensive breakdowns that are the basis of fan comments he refers to. But yes, I am always thrilled to rout our rival and extend win streak to 5. And I doubt any of their little “moral victories” about last night will improve their bowl chances.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:20 PM

Well Dabo I agree with you 100% that a win is a win and being 12-0 you can’t get any better.
But you preach the best is standard and with the talent we have compared to our schedule. There is no excuse not to be 12-0. This late in the season with the experience and talent we have . The team should be clicking on all 8. I know you know that the way we have played the last 3 games is not clicking.
You also know that some adjustments need to be made if we want to win the NC.
I can guarantee you if Bama played like we did last night, Nick would not be celebrating.
You see that’s why he has so many NCs.

Stop confusing the roles/reactions of coaches and fans***

Nov 25, 2018, 6:24 PM

Nov 25, 2018, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Dabo did not say he was happy with the way the defense played. He said he was happy with the win. Who cares how Nick would react!! Do you really want a coach like that old sour puss? Be "all in" out get out and give your seat and support to some other University.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Dabo did not say he was happy with the way the defense played. He said he was happy with the win. Who cares how Nick would react!! Do you really want a coach like that old sour puss? Be "all in" out get out and give your seat and support to some other University.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Nov 25, 2018, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

You are completely wrong. We never want to be like Saban. You need to go be a Bama fan like the rest of the chickens.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Dabo did not say he was happy with the way the defense played. He said he was happy with the win. Who cares how Nick would react!! Do you really want a coach like that old sour puss? Be "all in" out get out and give your seat and support to some other University like the gamecocks and their whining fans.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Dabo did not say he was happy with the way the defense played. He said he was happy with the win. Who cares how Nick would react!! Do you really want a coach like that old sour puss? Be "all in" out get out and give your seat and support to some other University like the gamecocks and their whining fans.

tell em, coot***

Nov 25, 2018, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 6:20 PM

I've been a fan for 60+ years and have never been let down
by a win. Old Danny used to whip teams by 3 points and I loved
it. We should all be proud of Dabo, his staff and his team
because ugly days could come our way.The score should have
been higher for us if not for the noninterference call on
the td and the pi that wasn't called on them before the half.

Message was edited by: irmotig®

No Scorched Earth, just the people he called out

doubling down. Good luck with that.

Yeah. What a crap headline and choice of words.***

Nov 25, 2018, 6:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Dabo and to paraphrase him "it's not about the other team, it is about us and how we play, we play to a standard". Is it not fair to report that the Tigers may not have played to the standard we have set? Brent Venables certainly wasn't pleased. I certainly get what Dabo is saying, but he is taking the comments written by a reporter and said by someone else out of context. BY the way ... a "W" was all I was looking for. I'm delighted!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:33 PM

What an absolutely awesome time to be a Clemson alum and lifelong Tigers fan.... The Best is yet to come.... Love this university.... Love this team.... Love this coach and his staff....

Nov 20, 2020, 12:40 PM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease I suppose. It’s rather shameful that Coach Swinney feels the need to defend his players, his coaches and his program following a three touchdown win. The fifth win in a row over a bitter rival. And, only 23 months removed from a National f$&@ing Championship. And, his program is about to compete for the FOURTH consecutive conference championship. It certainly wasn’t a flawless victory, but a victory nonetheless. I hope the complaints are simply coming from sheep in wolves’ clothing.

Quite possibly the best game to date

Nov 25, 2018, 6:34 PM

The offense went off. Couldnt be stopped. 95, 97 and 98 yard drives. Wow. Best game by T.L.

O.k. so the offense finally carried the day. USuC had a game plan. Officiating sucked a big fat Muscoot cocky to the point that blind man was embarrassed. WE WON. Any fool that says that game felt like a loss, needs to go away. Any dumbazz that feels like that game was a loss, isn't a fan.... A fan is someone who supports through adversity. Anybody here not have a bad day? Anybody here go to work and just not feel right, but you pushed through it? Did the defense drop coverages and miss assignments? Yes!!!!
Thank God it happened vs the #### coots. Venables will runs those guys through the grinder and it will get fixed. Anybody remember the game last week vs Duke? Receivers dropping balls? Does anyone remember receivers dropping balls vs the #### coots? No. It got fixed. That spoiled little brat that said this felt like a loss needs to go sit on bammers stands and moan with them. Hes not a Clemson Man, nor a fan. Hes a whiner and thats not a Clemson Man.

Nov 25, 2018, 6:37 PM

The people complaining about the score are the same ones that called Swinney a cheer leader when he was hired. They need to get a life.

Nov 25, 2018, 7:15 PM

i called him a cheer leader and I am happy with the win

to be honest...i think it's just media folkel causing this stir

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 6:43 PM

It's not the winning by 21 most were mad about, it was giving up 35 pts and 500 yards passing. If we win 40-19 nobody is saying anything. But it was mainly because nobody saw the 35 coming, he's even upset over that or he wouldn't comment about it. Nobody is upset for beating them lol I would hope. This much wasn't brought over 37-32 a few years ago. It is what it is, we'll adjust. Remember Bama gave up 31 to Ark this year.

I think the best thing would be for Tigernet

Nov 25, 2018, 6:45 PM

How many folks have spoken to a Clemson fan that is unhappy

Nov 25, 2018, 6:46 PM

with the 21 point win last night? I have yet to meet a Clemson fan that is unhappy and have certainly not talked to anyone who thinks the game last night "feels like a loss"... Quite frankly, I think this is more of a manufactured issue from an outlier "fan" being given unwarranted press coverage (shame on you Tigernet...).

I imagine if you take a poll of Clemson fans, you will find well over 90% are happy and satisfied with the 21 point beat down of the chickens...

Are you happy with the 21 point Clemson win over USuC?    [Results]

Yes
No
2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 6:53 PM

The real fans have supported Dabo (some of us in near fights to stand up for him in the beginning) and supported the program he was developing and has developed. We love what he is doing to develop young men and the family atmosphere. We were sad at the losses and jubilant with the victories and we continue to support. As far as I know everyone can have an opinion and what people saw last night was a win with a lot of issues and they have the right and can express their options as they see fit. These people help pay all the salaries and etc. Threats are not the answer.

Dabo is 1000% correct!

Nov 25, 2018, 6:56 PM

Some of the so called "fans" make me sick. In what world are people not happy with a 21 pt win?

I think it was a recalibration statement

Nov 25, 2018, 7:00 PM

directed at the clear minority spouting off negativity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, my read as well

Nov 25, 2018, 7:03 PM

I think Dabo knows its a minority of fans (and probably a very small minority), but he's doing his part to nip it in the bud.

This situation needs to defused.

Nov 25, 2018, 7:01 PM

Those fanning the flames need to stop, regardless of who you are.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

dabo is wrong***

Nov 25, 2018, 7:02 PM

About what exactly?***

Nov 25, 2018, 7:04 PM

about fans being unhappy

Nov 25, 2018, 7:12 PM

he sings best is the standard then wants to rage at the fans when the fans adopt the same thing and expect the best every game

Once again, it sounds, to me, like you're misinterpreting

Nov 25, 2018, 7:18 PM

"Best is the Standard".

Dabo is talking only about the fans who somehow walked away from that game last night disgruntled. We all know its a minority. But they exist, some of them were here online last night.

And his point, as I hear it, is that if that sort of thinking becomes the norm he want no part of it. And I couldn't agree with him more.

He can preach “Best is Standard” to his players and coaches

Nov 25, 2018, 8:29 PM [ in reply to about fans being unhappy ]

Because he and the coaches and players have worked for the right.

We as fans have done nothing to earn the right to define the term “Best” ... we’re just along for the ride.

Enjoy the ride.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo, coaching staff, players, fans need to man up.

Nov 25, 2018, 7:36 PM [ in reply to dabo is wrong*** ]

Yep, we want to beat the chickens but we are hunting elephants and what David said is true. Get it fixed quickly or we will be watching others in the NC game.

BEST IS THE STANDARD!

^^ gets it***

Nov 25, 2018, 8:40 PM

Sounds good to me***

Nov 25, 2018, 7:16 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

There is always that one guy

Nov 25, 2018, 7:17 PM

it doesn't matter what sport, politician, competitive basket weaving, whatever you compete in, you always have that one that is never satisfied, the class jerk. that guy that has to take an opposing position on any topic so he can be the center of attention, never satisfied, find fault in breathing guy, so he or she get his 15 minutes of fame (or 15 seconds). Fans were happy with the win, I am ALWAYS happy with a win, esp one of SoCar, I wish we could win 100-0 but always happy to win period, I do believe this was spun to have it appear that fans were not happy, I admit I was very excited for our senior class to get the win, especially since we returned the 5 in a row, beat down, Now did I say I was happy with every phase of the game. no, our pass D looked like a mediocre "SEC East" caliber team (its a joke settle down), and not a championship D, we are human, we do have college kids playing ball, we are not the 85 Chicago Bears, Buddy Ryan led D, oh the horror. But if a real "fan" did make the comment about it feeling like a loss,k please just STHU. and stay off drugs, -Tigersmurf

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is a victim of his own success in this because he has sold us all on the ideals of "all-in" and "best is the standard!" Surely he can not be happy about the despicable defensive performance, and he is naïve if he truly thinks that the fans angst is about the 21 point margin, because it is all about the 600+ yards put up by a very mediocre team over the (cough) #2 defense in the country. Everyone has a right to be concerned about this poor show as we move into the post season where we have such high hopes and expectations. Venables own comments seem to support this.

The fact that Scar was in the game with the types of abuse heaped on our defense takes a little luster off of the braging rights.

Hopefully the noise is not overshadowing that fans are justifiably happy over the offensive fire power that was on display in the course of an almost perfect performance on that side of the ball! Congratulations Tigers!

I wonder if Dabo is not trying a bit of psychology on the fans now to tone things down so Venables isn't tempted to look at other coaching opportunities. (?) I know of no Clemson fan that wishes to see any of our coaches leave the program. But man do I hate veiled threats!

Let's pull together so we don't pull apart, because this is a great time to be a Clemson Tiger!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Dabo is fond of saying “the best is yet to come”

I just don’t see how that is possible. I can’t imagine it getting any better either on the field or off. Really good kids want to come play high level football here and they become even better men through the hard work and great vision of an awful lot of people. The wins and yes the occasional losses pass with each season but the culture continues to entrench itself. Go Tigers

In response to David Hoods "When a win feels like a loss"

Nov 25, 2018, 7:23 PM

We gave USC somewhere around 600 yards of offense - almost completely through the air. In other words, I'm saying exactly what the rest of the country knows: our secondary was incredibly terrible. Aside from that, spending the entire 4th quarter running down the clock made that part of the game seem as if it took several hours to complete. We maintained conservative play calling while they threw everything possible at us....invariably, it seemed to have kept the gamecocks around....gave them hope, if you will.

Mad fans? I left the stadium with 3 mins left, annoyed - why - because we weren't kicking the snot out of USC? Nope. It was because I KNOW we have no shot of winning out if our secondary plays like that again. USC and this state rivalry are trivial when compared to national title hopes.

Happy for Clemson - happy for 12 wins - happy we beat USC. Secondary needs work.

Nothing but love.

I'm stunned...at what point were

Nov 25, 2018, 7:33 PM

The Scoks EVER in the game? Conservative play calling? That's laughable. There was zero point when Clemson wasn't in charge of the game and the outcome wasn't ever remotely in doubt.

Don't kid yourselves, those who justify holding the football's standard against them...yes, against them. That standard is why MANY fans are on board, but that standard ISN'T justification for throwing it their faces. It's reactions and bloviating by fans that send coaches around the bend...their job is very public and the demands on their time never-ending...and then disappointment over a win is not the 'fan standard'?

I'll close with this: Dabo can and will do whatever he chooses to do. When the job isn't fun, he's gone. Fans help insure the job is fun...or it isn't fun. Pick your side and await the 'cause and effect'. It's in the fans' hands...do what you think you should. Don't weep, if you're wrong, though.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm stunned...at what point were

Nov 25, 2018, 8:58 PM

Ask Dabo and Jeff Scott if the Clemson offense was not the best defense on the field last night. Ball control kept the Coot offense off the field. No need to score every 2 minutes and give them the ball back quickly.

Re: In response to David Hoods "When a win feels like a loss"

Nov 26, 2018, 5:18 AM [ in reply to In response to David Hoods "When a win feels like a loss" ]

Your opinion flies in the face of reality. Do you remember that Alabama was tied going into the second half of their game against a 4-6 Citadel team the previous week. Every single team goes through times that not every aspect of their game is going well the whole game. The week before this game the Clemson defense kept Clemson in the game until the offense finally got going.

Seriously who is unhappy?

Nov 25, 2018, 7:38 PM

I would have loved a 70-0 win. But it does seem like people are over reacting. There’s one game every season that the Defense looks exposed. But we know what they have. They will be destructive when we need it. 2016 we couldn’t stop Pitt . But we won a ACC championship and National championship with that same Defense. And Dabo is the best thing to happen to this program in 25 years. Clemson took a leap of faith on him, and he has never given them a reason to regret that decision. I remember getting blown out by NC state and wake Forest. Everyone relax and have faith.
Dabo will make you happy you did.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we only won the natty by 4 points...***

Nov 25, 2018, 7:40 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: we only won the natty by 4 points...***

Nov 25, 2018, 9:27 PM

I'm sorry... I didn't know we were suppose to beat bama by more than 4 pts...

SMH....

& we didn’t win it until the last play of the game. & when

Nov 26, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to we only won the natty by 4 points...*** ]

we got down by 14, tweeter world and MySpace and ALL those places were REALLY angry !!!

And some rando said he was going to write a sternly worded letter to the AD

Nov 25, 2018, 7:46 PM

For all the complainers who think we need to beat everybody by 50 points: there are some of us who can remember the Red Parker years. We went 7-4 and were happy. Then we went 3-8 and 2-9. We’ve got the best coach and the best program in the country. He runs a clean program and wins. So what if the defense has a sub-par game. It’s hard to be at the top of your game every game. I have never met anybody who is at their best all the time. We all have bad days. We still won the game by 3 touchdowns, and the defense made stops when it really counted. Just because everybody didn’t play at their highest level last night doesn’t mean they won’t next time. As for me, I’m thankful for Dabo and what he has done. And I’m thankful for these players and the tremendous effort they have put in to get to this point. I’m going to enjoy the fact that our Tigers have beaten South Carolina for the fifth straight time. Go Tigers!

Nov 25, 2018, 7:53 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Who wrote the headline, Mr. Hood?

Nov 25, 2018, 7:48 PM

You are trying to backpedal from YOUR HEADLINE and blame it on others.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

YES DABO! Mic drop!

Nov 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

Coach Swinney is so correct. I have been a fan since moving to South Carolina in 1963, when I came to this great state I was told I had to either be a tiger fan or a chicken fan. I went to my first game in 1965 I believe it was against Auburn, but we got our butts kicked big time. Since that era the tigers have won a lot and also lost a lot. Coach Dabo has established a wonderful program and a wonderful place for young kids to grow into great young men. My two grandkids that graduated recently from Clemson has shown me what a great school it is. God has Blessed the program because of Coach Swinney's commitment to Christ and the young men who choose to come and coach, play and work in his program. Yes win by one is still a win, win by 50 is still a win. Thank you Coach Swinney and Staff for being the program you are. Go Tigers!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 7:51 PM

1. If Dabo tells me to be happy with dog food for dinner I’m All IN! That man has taken this programs to unreal heights.

2. Emotions run high for coaches and fans alike in the moment. Some fans are able to keep the big picture, some can’t even watch a a game with others.

3. When you give a QB like Jake Bentley 500 yards passing on a defense as loaded as ours I’d expect a decent portion of the media/fan base to raise some criticism.

4. Big picture, Dabos right lets shut up and take the dang undefeated regular season and run!

Re: Everyone has a right

Nov 25, 2018, 7:59 PM

to express their opinion but you can never say a win feels like a loss. That has to be one of the dumbest things a fan can say but then again there are mouths that start running before the brain is engaged. For me anytime you can beat the "lamecocks" the next 365 days are great. Any wins after this becomes icing on the cake. Now lets eat a lot of cake.

Re: Everyone has a right

Nov 26, 2018, 5:02 AM

But it says more about that 1 fan than it does the team. It does provide an area in the game that does need improvement though, as giving up 510 yards passing is not something the team should find acceptable. The fact that Jake Bentley was completing all these passes to wide open receivers gives the team many teachable moments. Normally, a team learns more from what went badly than they do from what went well. Just imagine what the Coots learned from this game...they can throw for 510 yards and 5 touchdowns and still lose by 3 touchdowns...lesson learned!!!

Dabo drops the Mic again!!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 8:05 PM

??>??

Nov 25, 2018, 8:08 PM

We all love and respect dabo but he chose the wrong choice of words. Went to far over 1 fans comments and got the whole fan base talking about his comments and wondering. It wasn't everyone and he needs to have thicker skin for the other 95 percent appreciative fans.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:09 PM

I have been an over the top supporter from day 1. Today is the most disappointed in him as a man I have been. Threaten to leave???get the *** out. Do we play to a standard or not? It is one thing to lie to us about Spier...but dont lie and say it would be good to win by one point. Standard or not Dabo. I for one would say GTFO if you cant admit your D was TORCHED and EMBARRASSED. Along with much of the team. Horrible focus. Grow up Dabo and tell the truth.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:44 PM

919Tiger said:

I have been an over the top supporter from day 1. Today is the most disappointed in him as a man I have been. Threaten to leave???get the *** out. Do we play to a standard or not? It is one thing to lie to us about Spier...but dont lie and say it would be good to win by one point. Standard or not Dabo. I for one would say GTFO if you cant admit your D was TORCHED and EMBARRASSED. Along with much of the team. Horrible focus. Grow up Dabo and tell the truth.

Really? One of the best coaches probably ever in CFB, and certainly at Clemson, and you're saying he should leave? Not just one of the winningest coaches in CFB history, which he is, and not even one of the most sincere and loving coaches, which he is, but all of his qualities combined make him, in my humble opinion, one the greatest to ever coach the game. I remember being so proud of our team to get to a New Years Six bowl over a decade ago. I remember having some rough losses. Heck, I was at the Pitt loss two years ago, but I have always supported our coaching staff and players. If you can't understand that we're living in the Golden years of CU football, and enjoy it, then maybe it's time for you to get out and find a new team to pull for. Dabo is my coach, and I'm thankful for every year he stays and decides to make us better!

Go Tigers!

Ignore her...

Nov 25, 2018, 9:36 PM

She's one of many chickens that pose as tigers...

Nov 26, 2018, 3:37 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

AMEN!

I'll take my medicine! I was in a weird place

Nov 25, 2018, 8:11 PM

we didn't win by 40 points. I was happy we won, but was hoping for more and to stomp them in the ground so hard they would go crawl in a cave all year.

If wishing for a bigger spread is somehow being ungrateful, I can take it.

Dabo is right, never apologize for a win. Especially 21 points over your rival. When they pulled out all kinds of new tricks.

I haven't bashed the program or defense (though I got a little heated at a few breakdowns). But, at the end of the night, our offense was breaking records left and right and going straight steam roller over their Defense. With that, I look forward to more of the same next week and look forward to the defense rebounding.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:15 PM

Dabo ain't leaving because of some loud mouth idiot fans that know nothing about football, like most coaches he will leave when the run is on the back 9.

David Hood needs to understand his value. He has none.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:16 PM

He is a beat writer. If he left Clemson tomorrow, he would be forgotten before he reached I-85.

Dabo is THE transcendent figure in Clemson sports history.

Perhaps the dime-a-dozen beat writer should think before he writes his little "stir it up" pieces.

I’m just thankful that our offense is now elite.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:22 PM

We would’ve been in deep doo doo last night if Kelly Bryant were our QB. We certainly wouldn’t have won by 3 TDs.

Proverbs 16:18

Total negative spin by Tigernet

Nov 25, 2018, 8:22 PM

The "Feels like a loss" sentiment comes from a small minority. I mean we could all see the secondary played like garbage, but "feels like a loss"? Why write that article?

500 yards and 5 TD passes from Jake

Nov 25, 2018, 8:26 PM

I’m happy we won, but that stat line is unacceptable. Brent knows and admits it, so that’s all that matters.

Is this one of those things where the coach creates a

Nov 25, 2018, 8:30 PM

struggle where there really isn't one, just to give the players something to focus on? I feel like we're going to need something like that to be motivated for the ACCCG

TWEET THAT! TNET STAFF!

Nov 25, 2018, 8:50 PM

And I like how you tried to deflect like it wasn't YOU who pinned the article this morning! I have less respect for you now!

Nov 25, 2018, 8:50 PM

I mean ... yeah. If you can’t appreciate what he’s doing find another team to root for. And sorry to say it... but David Hood was just echoing the sentiments of a spoiled fan base. Man are we lucky to have ya Dabo. Hope we continue to stay humble, while hungry to improve on any thing we can. Grateful for the elite program we are and hopeful for lessons learned.

Don't blame the fan base for an article that David had

Nov 25, 2018, 8:55 PM

full control over! That was on HIM and he should OWN it! But instead he comes up with, "We wrote an article where we overheard a fan say the win felt like a loss.." That is David cowering from his own words. Because Dabo came in and set his and every other staffer's ### straight!

Go TIGERS!!! GO DABO!!!!

Re: Don't blame the fan base for an article that David had

Nov 25, 2018, 9:03 PM

I agreed with what you said. David needs to own up, but their IS a small percentage of a spoiled fan base that he was representing. I mean look at some of the garbage posts on the fan board @ the end of the game.

I’ll end on this, yes Hood stepped in Sh*t and tried to blame the smell on the whole, but I was commenting on the small percentage of fans that need to enjoy the win.

I’ve said it before a win is a win is a win is a win is a five peat win over your rival.

In Dabo and Co. I trust. Coach V will definitely bring the hammer down and straighten our D out as he has time and again.

Go Tigers!

Re: Don't blame the fan base for an article that David had

Nov 25, 2018, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Don't blame the fan base for an article that David had ]

#### media is trying to ruin the nation and now Tiger Nation. Fake news.

This was all David Hood

Nov 25, 2018, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

The only "fan" complaining would be a gambler. The original article is pathetic and professionalism should have intervened. Instead, you give a microphone to some phantom fan who does not represent even 0.1% of the fan base. I like TigerNet, but this type of coverage only hurts the team.

why echo some idiot instead of just setting him straight?***

Nov 26, 2018, 3:06 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Scorched Earth: Swinney blasts anyone not happy with 21-point win over South Carolina ]

Nov 25, 2018, 9:03 PM

12-0 is 12-0. No matter how you slice it. Clemson Beat Pitt. Get to Orange Bowl. I will be there to support you. Thanks for a great team and program.

Success does that to fans. I remember

Nov 25, 2018, 9:10 PM

the days of of questioning Danny Fords game plans when we were a top 10 program. But the expectations at Alabama dwarf what we currently have here at Clemson. By these comments from him, I’m not sure he could be comfortable under that pressure. While that’s reassuring that he may prefer to stay at Clemson for the long term, it’s distressing to know Clemson may be getting that Alabama fan mentality. And from what I’ve seen at the two national championships I went to against them, that mentality is obnoxious and arrogant. We do not need that mentality at Clemson. Just remember the Hatfield, West and Bowden years for a dose of how far we have come and hopefully gain some perspective.

Dabo is 100% right but...

Nov 25, 2018, 9:19 PM

This program is amazing.

The season has been amazing.

Beating SC 5 straight for 1st time in 80 years....amazing.

I'm more than satisfied.

As a fan however I am allowed to be Concerned about our pass defense because I hope we get to play Bama in January. And I hope they win. Nothing wrong with concern.

But yes., saying it felt like a loss is absurd.

Re: Dabo is 100% right but...

Nov 25, 2018, 9:22 PM

I agree. But be careful on the “they” in your sentence.... I believe you mean “we” win. ;)

Nov 25, 2018, 9:21 PM

The scorched earth was your two articles. Since when does one fan on the field after the game speak for tiger nation? As a matter of fact, since when do you speak for me? I’d take a 56-35 win over the coots every year.

Nov 25, 2018, 10:23 PM

I’m going to keep it real - how can we not feel like there was at least some type of loss when we allow them to set a record (510yds) against our top rated defense? That is a loss. Maybe it isn’t the loss of a game but it is a loss, nonetheless.

Nov 25, 2018, 10:46 PM

This was completely media driven and as they say fake news. The media was stirring the pot based on some minority opinion "lunatic fringe" fan base. The vast majority, probably 99.9% of the fans love and respect CDS and the program. The media owe him and us an apology for creating some fake news fire storm.

Love Dabo’s fire ! He’s right. ... again

Nov 25, 2018, 11:02 PM

It wasn’t a perfect day but it was a WIN over South Carolina. I’ll take it.

Silver lining: SC exposed an area of weakness that needs to be corrected before Oklahoma and Alabama. ... AND WE STILL WON BY 21 AND SCORED 56 POINTS.

Nov 25, 2018, 11:09 PM

There really are some spoiled Clemson fans out there if they aren't happy with another win over Carolina and another 12-0 season! Wow! That's just ridiculous! Those guys played their butts off and they have put in so much work to get to this point. I'm proud to call myself a faithful Clemson fan and have been for almost 40 years. Great game y'all! Keep up the amazing job Dabo, staff and players! Y'all make us all so proud.

Nov 25, 2018, 11:09 PM

There really are some spoiled Clemson fans out there if they aren't happy with another win over Carolina and another 12-0 season! Wow! That's just ridiculous! Those guys played their butts off and they have put in so much work to get to this point. I'm proud to call myself a faithful Clemson fan and have been for almost 40 years. Great game y'all! Keep up the amazing job Dabo, staff and players! Y'all make us all so proud.

For the first time in a while, I don't like how he handled

Nov 25, 2018, 11:26 PM

this. Comes off as a threatening.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 11:41 PM

Just keep on whining about all of the little negatives you so-called Clemson fans and we will lose the best D1 football coach in the country. The defense had a few hiccups Saturday night and we won by 21! True Clemson fans will talk about the bad and the good but will never downgrade the coaches and players. My how spoiled we have become! GO TIGERS!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 11:41 PM

Just keep on whining about all of the little negatives you so-called Clemson fans and we will lose the best D1 football coach in the country. The defense had a few hiccups Saturday night and we won by 21! True Clemson fans will talk about the bad and the good but will never downgrade the coaches and players. My how spoiled we have become! GO TIGERS!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 11:42 PM

Nov 26, 2018, 3:43 AM

I don't think most of the people whining are Clemson fans and the ones that are I think have been manipulated into it by the people who are really doing it, USC trolls and other jealous people trying to stir up drama and cause as much turmoil as possible over absolutely nothing in hope of weakening our team and program going forward.

As for Clemson fans whining so much that we lose Dabo (even though I don't believe that's what's really going on here since as I said above this is more like 'FAKE NEWS') But...

Having said that, I am pretty sure that Dabo won't be able to resist trying out a promotion to be an NFL coach at some point anyways since he's admitted to fantasizing about it and you just know he's dying to answer that question he has about himself as to if he could really succeed at that level.

My guess is he takes an NFL job either after our next National Championship or whenever Trevor's last year comes anyways and BV takes over the head coach job, as lots of media, talking heads and people in general have been wondering just why in the heck he has decided to stay at Clemson for so long instead of taking a HC job after being showcased as such an elite coaching talent.

And I do believe he is being genuine when he says that he just loves being at Clemson (who doesn't) and that it's the dream job and that he'd rather stay as DC here than a HC at any other school for the foreseeable future. But I also think that he is being groomed to take the mantle from Dabo one day and that the two may even talk quietly about it from time to time and that is also part of why he is so perfectly content on staying exactly where he is at.

Honestly, if Dabo does have to go at some point because he can't resist it being he's a competitor that doesn't like to stand still for too long, then it might just work out as the best possible transition since BV, Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott are so experienced with our school, program, philosophy and have been doing a lot of the recruiting which they have undoubtedly learned a ton from Dabo on since I think that has always been his MAJOR talent - in regards to both the players and the staff that he goes after and how to sell them and make them fall in love with Clemson (the easy part).

Nov 25, 2018, 11:42 PM

Stop disrespecting my coach. Real tigers stand up.

Nov 26, 2018, 1:57 AM

It sure is easy to type in a bunch of disrespectful garbage about the best coach we've ever had. After A WIN. OVER SOUTH CAROLINA. BY 21! I dont like giving up yards. Do you think he does? Do you think Coach V does? These coaches have took us from clemsoning to Being CLEMSON. BACK FROM THE GRAVEYARD. Yall need to chill. Keep that to yourself. Or yall can follow Kelly Bryant. Go TIGERS. ALL IN.

Nov 26, 2018, 3:55 AM

These comments from Dabo just sound "off". Since when does Dabo blow up like this over some silly fans stating the win felt like a loss. He is above that. The fact that an article written here on Tiger Net stated this felt like a loss. That is a pretty poor choice of words. Maybe Dabo was upset about that. But, Dabo is very honest about his feelings and he stated "fans" upset him. Personally, I think the "fans" he is referring to might just "fans" that are higher up the food chain. Perhaps IPTAY or Board members. It has to be someone(s) who really got his attention. Dabo has never dropped the "maybe time for me to leave" line before and to drop that bomb to the media, he was offended at a higher level than just some of us silly fans.

It is fair to call out the defensive performance on Sat as a concern. Dabo himself said it was awful but said he would get it fixed and I believe he will. But for anyone to say this felt like a loss is silly and not even worth a response (ex: The State Paper with this ridiculous article about putting a scare into the Tigers),
unless it was from someone with some power. If there is anyone above Dabo complaining about this win they need to be put in their place and Dabo did that in his statement. And David Hood, Seriously, that was a horrible article here on Tigernet. You're better than that!

Thank you, Dabo for another great season and 5 in a row against the rivals. The major majority love you and appreciate all you have done for us. We look forward to the postseason and won't let one game (win or lose) define who we are or what you have accomplished.

Nov 26, 2018, 4:24 AM

I would hope the coaches are actually never quite satisfied with a game. I hope they study every game film and identify areas that can be improved. Win or not, giving up 510 yards passing is an area of the game that has much room to improve. It is ridiculous for any fan to say it feels like a loss though. I still remember years Clemson was just hoping to be bowl eligible, and this feeling is not like a loss at all. Let's not get too concerned for what this fan said in the stands. If he was in the stands, and bought a ticket to watch the game, he has the right to feel however he chooses in my opinion. I also like that Dabo defends his players to the media though. I strongly suspect the media made much more out of an off hand comment than the fan intended.

Nov 26, 2018, 8:23 AM

You are correct. Whether we beat SC by 21 and have a poor defensive day or win by 60 against Wake with a slow offensive start, the coaches need to stay engaged and find ways to improve. When that stops, the program is in trouble. I don't see that coming anytime soon. NO Complacency!

Nov 26, 2018, 4:18 AM

Maybe, just maybe, because TNET is the voice of Clemson sports from outside media, your article about a win feeling like a loss is responsible for all this ridiculous frenzy and getting Dabo worked up for nothing!!!

Yep, I said it, and I'm an alumni.

Do better.

Nov 26, 2018, 4:42 AM

I would also like to point out that the fan who said this felt like a loss, might have taken the Tigers at -26.5 points. In that case, to this unfortunate fan it might have indeed been a loss. Out of 80000+ fans in the stands, finding a few fans who feel that way should come as no great shock. If Clemson had won 70-3, there would be a few fans who would feel that Clemson should play better. I have more of a problem with some idiot reporter quoting that fan and seeking Dabo's comments on this fan being overheard saying that.

Nov 26, 2018, 4:57 AM

David, I hope you are taking notes!! You are one of the people Coach Swinney is referring to. Clemson Alum - Class of '91

Nov 26, 2018, 4:57 AM

Sounds more like a reporter was mad about it. I never felt like it was a loss. Was this supposed fan 12? It wasn’t a seasoned Tigers fan. Sounds like a reporter wanted a little drama.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 26, 2018, 6:57 AM

While the win isnt the problem, I think its more the hatred for USC and Bentley...It was a 21 pt win, which would be great against every other team but as a Clemson fan we want to win against USC by 50....plus I dont think most people are complaining about the win, they are complaining about the secondary breakdowns, because unlike Dabo fans are looking ahead and understand we wont beat Alabama with those breakdowns, so they do need to get fixed and I am sure they will....either way the win is great..but if you go on USC facebook page the are gloating because they only lost by 21 and feel they hung with Clemson all night and are saying Clemson only won because they were playing 2nd and 3rd team players in defense...normal excuses...

Message was edited by: usarmyshreve®

Nov 26, 2018, 8:33 AM

You have a point. I have to admit that I wanted to see J. B. crushed to the point he couldn't walk off the field (no season ending injury but a beatdown) but the DBs couldn't cover long enough to give the front 4 time to get to him except (I believe) 3 sacks. Either way, the win was great. Go Tigers beat Pitt!

Nov 26, 2018, 7:46 AM

See now there is a problem. I love Dabo and I love my Clemson Tigers. The problem is not that fans are unhappy with a 21 point win. Fans are unhappy because the secondary got torched by a mediocre at best quarterback. Fans are like Coach Venables we expect better from this team and this team is better than that. Me I think it is the best thing that could happen because now Brent can get on them and that won't happen again I promise that. Brent is a great Coach and the secondary WILL be held accountable for that 35 points you can take that to the bank.

B.S. story and bad journalism. sorry, David.***

Nov 26, 2018, 7:49 AM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ironically, Venables said he was embarrassed.

Nov 26, 2018, 8:02 AM

I think everyone is happy with the 21 point victory part. The O was unstoppable. It was about our great D being so awful for a day. Dabo has everyone expecting greatness. Best is the standard. He should understand what part had people concerned for a day.

Stop Defending; You Were Wrong to Criticize

Nov 26, 2018, 8:16 AM

Making yourselves look even worse. We all understand you let your emotions get the best of you. Love the passion nevertheless.
Go Tigers!!!

Nov 26, 2018, 8:22 AM

Whoever created this fake news is disrespecting Clemson with this crap. One person says it’s a loss so Clemson fans must all think it’s a loss? Gd, it’s possible to criticize the performance without going stupid nuclear and saying a win is a loss. Whoever says otherwise isn’t a Clemson fan. Tigernet News looks like they’re turning into Clickbait U and it’s embarassing to me as a Clemson fan.

Nov 26, 2018, 8:27 AM

It's T-Net's fault

Nov 26, 2018, 8:49 AM

Kudos to Dabo! I could not agree more. To some of you older fans, remember the 1972 game at Clemson? It was about 35 degrees and misting. We barely won, 7 - 6. I will take this win over that one any day. I remember years where this game was our bowl game. Success is fleeting, culture lives on. Thanks to Coach Swinney, his great family, and the fantastic coaches, staff, and players associated with Clemson football ?? for building a culture of caring and family at Clemson University.

Nov 26, 2018, 9:58 AM

i think this has blown up way outta proportion. i don't think there is ANY fan out there NOT happy w/ the win and a 12-0 regular season.. we're all thrilled about that.. but.. everyone knows the season isn't over, yet.. and, there's so much more this team can accomplish. and, if "all in" in motto for this program (coaches, players, fans).. then why can't we, as fans, be "all in" mentally, also? now, "when a win feels like a loss" is too much for this past saturday cause the game this past saturday did NOT feel like a loss.. if felt like, a big12 game... i know CDS isn't reading this,... but, there's a difference in a spoiled fan base that isn't happy w/ wins, alone.. they have to be "perfect" wins.. and, a fan base that's very appreciative of where this program is, and is only showing concern to the x's and o'x of the game. to me, an "all in" fan, is gonna be more "all in" than "yay, we won".. or "awww shucks, we loss"...

Nov 26, 2018, 10:00 AM

The only thing scorched is a writer’s rear end.....

Nov 26, 2018, 1:00 PM

SC had a career night from their offense and QB and lost by 21!
Clemson defense had the worst night of the season, and won by 21!
One way to think of this is our worst is 21 points better than their best!
I wish I had thought of this but I read it somewhere...but I use it whenever I here from SC (and UGA) fans! Puts the night in perspective for me!

Go Tigers!

If he thinks our fanbase is bad,

Nov 26, 2018, 4:04 PM

Let him go to somewhere like Bama and drop a game to Vandy. He hasn't seen a rabid fanbase

Nov 26, 2018, 6:29 PM

I have followed Clemson FB sense I was 8. I am now 49 almost 50. The only time I hear this crap is from band wagon jumpers.If you are going to say crap like this go pull for USC gamecocks and shut the hell up!Dabo if he stays will be the best coach we have EVER had! And I hope babies that complain about this game would go on! 99% of us love ya man! Don't worry about those cry baby band wagon jumpers.

Nov 26, 2018, 7:16 PM

Dang, David, bad move.

This coaching staff, mostly intact for years, has changed coaching and probably business management practices in this area. Dabo shows what a strong Christian walk can look like and how much power joyous and abiding love can generate. He remembers all his teachers’ names. He stops mid stride after running down the hill to greet BY NAME a young kid with Down’s syndrome — as though a major college game with a million people watching were no more important than this boy’s feelings because it ain’t. If we had lost the #### game there’s worse. There is Petrino. There’s a Miami program that should have gotten the death penalty and that has a team rap about “busting chicks.” There is all the compromise of Kentucky basketball or academic scandals at UNC.

I am proud of what Clemson is and what Coach Swinney and his staff project and of how they influence our players and all those kids at games and all those wearing orange while playing in their yards at halftimes of games their dads couldn’t afford to take them to. Coach Swinney said he wanted Clemson to be a model program and it is.

I saw Coach Ford start to feel the stale breath of fans after “lackluster” wins and saw the whole exercise become a grim struggle not to lose, to suffer joyless victory. Hell, it was like watching Macbeth in the years after the championship.

Fans themselves better cultivate a little fun in the winning. To do otherwise produces no future at all.

Nov 26, 2018, 7:33 PM

Anyone who can possibly be disappointed by our team and the accomplishments we have made, should cease calling themselves a member of the Tiger Family. It's a #### shame and an embarrassment to our coaching staff, players and school. Be proud and thankful for what has become a consistently top performing group of coaches and young men. We don't need the cynicism, we need and they deserve, praise for a job well done!! Go Tigers!!!

Nov 26, 2018, 8:03 PM

The only problem I saw with the Tigers on Saturday night was the pass defense. Dabo and BV will fix the problem and we will move forward and be even better! GO TIGERS!!

Is This Whole Thing a Giant Straw Man?

Nov 26, 2018, 8:07 PM

So I keep reading about fans complaining, and about Dabo popping off, but despite having tried to find *anything* about this, I can't.

Where are examples of "the fan base complaining," and where is the audio/video of Dabo popping off?

I'm not saying this doesn't exist, but I sure haven't seen it.

I do think Coach is a little thin-skinned, and that's not going to serve him well going forward. Before you light into me for that comment, think about how little it would take for him to take a deep breath, and laugh these things off - at this level, part of his job is being a diplomat (people might think otherwise, but he is the face of Clemson football).

In case anyone is wondering, this isn't a criticism so much as an observation.

Replies: 185
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic