Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Monday thoughts: A perfect day in Doak Campbell ends with interesting walk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

TNET: Monday thoughts: A perfect day in Doak Campbell ends with interesting walk

Oct 29, 2018, 7:01 AM

Monday thoughts: A perfect day in Doak Campbell ends with interesting walk

The grounds surrounding Doak Campbell Stadium were uncharacteristically quiet Saturday afternoon. The early autumn sun was starting to dip below the horizon and the only people left were workers and support personnel – and one small group of dazed Seminole fans still sitting at a tailgate. Photo by Glenn Bell / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good story on GAS (gas fires, stomach gas & Tigers stepping on the gas throttle!).

Oct 29, 2018, 7:11 AM

Love the analogy (by David Hood).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ ditto this ^^^

Oct 29, 2018, 7:32 AM

Good perspectives; nice read, David!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: TNET: Monday thoughts: A perfect day in Doak Campbell ends with interesting walk

Oct 29, 2018, 7:32 AM

The sod referenced made me think..Who would have thought that we could beat the BUT(T) off of the Seminoles and not get a Tombstone for "The Garden".?...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Monday thoughts: A perfect day in Doak Campbell ends with interesting walk

Oct 29, 2018, 7:45 AM

Great reflection to start the week and the drive to the NATTY!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 8:13 AM

Very nice read. Thank you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 8:35 AM

nice story and couldnt happen to a more deserving group. targeting last year and this year and other personal fouls. it is a culture of unrepentant criminoles who need an occasional beat down. I have a feeling Taggart will be doing some roster pruning in the coming months.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 9:01 AM

:)

Excellent writing and pub. in USA Today, congratulations

Oct 29, 2018, 9:18 AM

David Hood!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU may indeed 'be back' at some point but it isn't going

Oct 29, 2018, 9:26 AM

to be anytime soon, and I'm talking years. The current players quit on Jimbo Fisher, and Willie Taggart isn't coach enough to right the ship. Losing to better teams is one thing, you can recruit your way out of it if you're any kind of coach. But once quitting permeates a program, it's like an aggressive malignancy. FSU is living proof you can have all the 4 and 5* players you can hold but you still have to coach 'em because 80% of football is played from the neck up.

Speaking of recruiting, FSU is about to take a hit in that area, too. They may get back to being good again, but it won't be under this coach and admin.

Re: FSU may indeed 'be back' at some point but it isn't going

Oct 29, 2018, 9:41 AM

Darn it, I should have posted faster...please revise the next headline to "You heard it here second..."

I'm surprised the Turnover Backpack didn't do the trick!***

Oct 29, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to FSU may indeed 'be back' at some point but it isn't going ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You heard it hear first...

Oct 29, 2018, 9:39 AM

The Seminoles are NOT coming back. They had the fairest of fairweather fans back when they were good (you could hear crickets in that stadium if momentum was not 100% on their side) and they have an empty stadium now that the dumpster is beginning to smolder.

They have been bad for two years and have another year or two before their vaunted recruiting evaporates down to half a day's drive from Tallawhacky. High school kids have no memory. They will hit "used to be good" before you know it,

Jimbo was their Ken Hatfield and they are heading into the dark ages.

Say, "hi" to Miami when you see them, boys.

Clemson didn't win a Natty

Oct 29, 2018, 9:45 AM

When Hatfield was here and, to my knowledge, there was no place to buy crab legs...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson didn't win a Natty

Oct 29, 2018, 9:59 AM

No but for the first couple of years it looked great. That's exactly how FSU was. Hatfield didn't have the talent that FSU had when they won a NC but you could see the momentum going down each year. The real difference is under Jimbo FSU self-destructed with many troubled players at a win at all cost mentality. Well that is only going to work for so long when many of his players are getting into trouble. Parents will start to question their sons decision on going to a school like that. If he had been able to stay at the top the entire time like Satan then the parents may have turned the other cheek but Jimbo is not the coach that Satan is and it was destined to fail. His time at TAMU will only be a few short years because of this mentality. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield didn't have a Jameis Winston either but he

Oct 29, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Clemson didn't win a Natty ]

still could've/should've won the NC with the 1990 team. They were loaded top to bottom. Jimbo Fisher would never have sniffed a NC had he not had Chief Criminole Winston. Same w/ Mac Brown at Texas being fortunate enough to get Vince Young. Otherwise he recruited like crazy and always underachieved. Fisher is Mac Brown 2.0.

FSU's players quit on Fisher for reasons we may never know, but quit they did and the results are the nastiest I've ever seen in my 45 years of paying attention to this sport. FSU has a proud heritage but the farther removed they become from that, the harder it will be to climb that mountain. Willie Taggart has shown me no reason to think he's the personality or coach to get them out of this. If anything, they're worse than they were under Fisher and I never thought we'd see that.

Re: Hatfield didn't have a Jameis Winston either but he

Oct 29, 2018, 11:02 AM

And let's give some credit to Dabo and company for FSPU's downfall. ;)

Oct 29, 2018, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Hatfield didn't have a Jameis Winston either but he ]

Sort of a silly argument to say a coach would not have won a championship without his best player. Jimbo needed Winston. Brown needed Young.

Guess what, Dabo would have not won a championship (yet) without Watson. Saban doesn’t win last year without Tua.

And on and on.

Point is, Jimbo is a good coach. Questionable discipline, yes. But the 2013 team was fully his team. Seems disingenuous to not give the man credit for doing something only 4 active coaches have done.

It's not a silly argument. Look at what has happened to

Oct 29, 2018, 1:57 PM

FSU since then, and you still think Fisher is a good coach? He's an underachiever just like Brown was. And just like Mark Richt, for that matter.

You're going to compare those guys to what Dabo has done? That's a silly argument. My point is Fisher and Brown were blind squirrels finding a nut. Taggart is reaping what Fisher sowed. Dabo may not have won the NC w/out Watson, but it's obvious he's built a perpetual 13/14 game winner. Fisher did just the opposite.

Oct 31, 2018, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Hatfield didn't have a Jameis Winston either but he ]

I agree Taggart is not the guy to heal their ailments...If players did just quit as he said...you don't say it to a National media. You address it to the players behind closed doors, not in public...ever!!! In addition to that, these highly recruited players went to FSU in order to get to the next level, and be prepared for the NFL. FSU has for whatever reason failed these kids, if there were quitters on the team, it is the coaches job to weed them out. That is what they pay the coach 5 million dollars a year to do. You don't however throw the whole team under the bus saying there are some quitters, and leave it to the public to guess who. That might lead to the very players that can help fix it, and are all in, being shamed.

Very nice!***

Oct 29, 2018, 11:19 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 11:30 AM

David - thank you for another wonderful article. I love reading your work because you describe the reflection and nostalgia so perfectly its like I'm taking the walk myself. Kudos to you and thank you for a great read! Looking forward to more!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 2:23 PM

This is far and away the best work of yours I have every read! Bravo!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.mtv.com/onair/two_a_days/assets/season_2/images/flipbooks/episodes/finale/fb_10.jpg

Well done David

Oct 29, 2018, 6:12 PM

You sure Nikki didn't write this?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 11:08 PM

Very nice piece David.
You know, a preacher could take that fungus in the grass part and make a very good spiritual example with it.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic