Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year

Sep 17, 2018, 8:08 AM

Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year

A top-five Clemson team defeated Georgia Southern 38-7 Saturday afternoon in Death Valley, needing two late touchdowns to make the final score seem more “appropriate” to those who follow betting lines. Let's face it, in today’s world many fans like pretty wins more than they like a 38-7 victory in which a ton of freshmen and sophomores saw significant snaps early in the game. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah....The Process

Sep 17, 2018, 8:12 AM

Tell me about it.

R.I.P.

Sep 17, 2018, 8:19 AM

Rest in (the) Process

;(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

POTW . . . . commie bastages are grinding your face in it BP***

Sep 17, 2018, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Yeah....The Process ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year

Sep 17, 2018, 8:26 AM

Very good article David, but you will always have two sides of the coin.
The "fans" want to see big scores.
The pollsters look for style points; ie which team appeared to be more dominant.
I like the way Dabo runs the program. How could you not?
But Georgia jumped us because they have appeared to be more dominant.
So which one would you rather have? Big scores, and blowouts, or a building process?
Why not both?
Why is it Georgia seems to come out of the gate strong, while we struggle?
I have a thought.
Dabo's philosophy has always been;
1)Win the opener.
2)Win the division.
3)win the conference.
4)Beat your rival.
5)Win your bowl game.
Maybe he needs to add a 6th; Score a touchdown on every opening drive.
Maybe then the fans would trust the process.

The pollsters mean nothing

Sep 17, 2018, 8:52 AM

only the committee does, and they don't vote for over a month. No one on that committee is going to be looking at how bad we beat Georgia Southern or Georgia beat Middle Tenn

Re: The pollsters mean nothing

Sep 17, 2018, 9:08 AM

All we have to be is Top 4. Win and we're in.

If Alabama and Georgia remain unbeaten, they'll play each other in the SECCG.

I disagree, we should strive for as high a ranking as we

Sep 17, 2018, 10:54 AM

can get. I would like to at least be #3. Doesn't it make sense to not play the #1 team (assuming it's not us) until we have to?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I disagree, we should strive for as high a ranking as we

Sep 17, 2018, 11:55 AM

We were #1 last year. How did that work out for us playing the #4 team?

We will be at our best by the end of the

Sep 17, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to I disagree, we should strive for as high a ranking as we ]

season. Dont need to sweat it in September. By January, we're either good enough to win it all or we're not. Doesnt matter one bit if we're 4th or 1st.

Re: I disagree, we should strive for as high a ranking as we

Sep 18, 2018, 2:23 PM [ in reply to I disagree, we should strive for as high a ranking as we ]

The rankings don't mean beans until the Playoff Committee sets them late in the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One comment on "the top four"

Sep 17, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: The pollsters mean nothing ]

I agree with the way Dabo gets all the guys involved. He also needs to keep an eye on "the eye test." If you listen to all the talking heads-- and make no mistake, the Committee does-- three of the four playoff spots are virtual locks: Bama, Georgia, and Ohio State. That means that only one is up for grabs. Given our relatively lackluster schedule this year, a couple of "sexy" wins wouldn't hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One comment on "the top four"

Sep 17, 2018, 12:24 PM

If we win 13 and half of them aren’t “sexy,” do you think we make it to the playoffs?

Re: One comment on "the top four"

Sep 17, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to One comment on "the top four" ]

If we win 13 and half of them aren’t “sexy,” do you think we make it to the playoffs?

It blows my mind that so many people

Sep 17, 2018, 8:27 AM

still haven’t figured this out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It blows my mind that so many people

Sep 17, 2018, 8:40 AM

And unfortunately they probably never will.

Great explanation, David. Mixing in the 2nd and 3rd team guys will pay huge dividends later and also limits the opportunity for injuries to starters. Dabo said we will do what we need to do to win. After that IMO the player development is a great strategy.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

A large segment of the fanbase is spoiled...

Sep 17, 2018, 8:57 AM [ in reply to It blows my mind that so many people ]

They expect perfection and big one-sided blow-out victories week in and week out.

They lose sight of the fact that we are dealing with 18 to 22 year old kids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

David ... David ..... David.....

Sep 17, 2018, 8:39 AM

There are some " fans " on TNet that couldn't unclench even if they used a hydraulic jack for the job .
Some of us ... I think more than half , understand football and the intricacies of it's ebbs and flows . Especially with young guys like these .
The process is the process whether or not these uptights choose to accept that . Which they won't , because they can't relax the potty topper.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year

Sep 17, 2018, 8:39 AM

I wanted to see 63-17 just for old times sake....

Sep 17, 2018, 8:42 AM

I think we all want to see it.... but I’m ok with waiting and doing that to O310 State in the playoffs.....

Sep 17, 2018, 8:44 AM

Depth wins national championships. It takes more than 22 players.

Pleasing pollsters and unknowledgable fans are not as important as winning the conference.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 AM

That is a good post right there !

You should post more , more good.postings needed .
+1

DB23

Sep 17, 2018, 8:48 AM

Good point, you can't just have the 2s only playing with 2s, and 3s with 3s. They need quality snaps with the 1s.

For your inbox

Sep 17, 2018, 8:59 AM

Get a really good 'spam filtering' program! Otherwise, those emails of 'tears' and 'spit from gnashing of teeth' is gonna short your laptop. That's no bueno! Safety first! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 8:57 AM

Thanks so much for your perspective. Dabo and the coaching staff are great teachers. It’s just like when teaching art, or young students, most of the time the process of the learning and doing is more important than the final product. I know we want to win, and I believe we will continue to, however, Dabo is right in his process of player development. I look forward to watching and waiting for the final product. Go Tigers!

Sep 17, 2018, 9:03 AM

Alabama has a stellar QB and fully loaded team, their best in many years. We can't hang with them right now at 3-0 but hope we can get better as season progresses, especially offense. We have to play better period. Syracuse will be an interesting game for us. As always, Go Tigers!

Sep 17, 2018, 9:19 AM

Bama hasn't played anybody yet.

Louisville barely got by WKU, Arkansas State is G5, and Ole Miss is awful.

Their first string was playing well into the 3rd quarter, except with Jalen instead of Tua.

We'll see how good Bama really is when they play TAMU.

Sep 17, 2018, 10:18 AM

Bama should beat Texas A&M by two possessions easy. We had opportunities to beat A&M and put the game away but we didn't. Hat's off to A&M but BAMA will show everyone why they are #1.

Sep 17, 2018, 10:48 AM

If the game were in College Station, I'd give TAMU a better chance.

But who knows? Kellen Mond has the wheels and the arm to pull a Johnny Football. And there's no denying that A&M's got talent: Per ESPN recruiting rankings -- 2014 # 4; 2015 #12; 2016 #20; 2017 #11; 2018 #16; more talent than they had when Manziel beat Bama at Bama.

As long as we are winning I’d rather not peak til end of the season anyway***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:04 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: As long as we are winning I’d rather not peak til end of the season anyway***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 AM

Do you think Bama or GA has peaked? Asking for a friend.

Because if not, This Bama team will be one of the best college teams to ever play the game. JMO

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As long as we are winning I’d rather not peak til end of the season anyway***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:17 AM

God I hope Alabama has peaked. But let's not pretend the teams they've played could realistically compete with them.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: As long as we are winning I’d rather not peak til end of the season anyway*** ]

Bama's defense doesn't look as good and their kicker sucks, but Bama with a good QB just isn't fair.

Then again, people said that when Jalen took over, too.

UGA's year is 2019 or 2020. Still have to play Auburn and at LSU. My guess is 11-2 and a trip to a New Year's Six.

Sep 18, 2018, 7:54 PM

I agree with that but LSU? That game is already getting too much hype. I don't believe they've somehow become way better than they have been under that cajun dude. I think last week's Auburn-LSU game showed more about Auburn than LSU.

Message was edited by: Fridge_Perry®

And I want to see the backups and reserves play

Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 AM [ in reply to As long as we are winning I’d rather not peak til end of the season anyway*** ]

I enjoy that as much as anything. We all follow them from the minute they get an offer. Why not enjoy watching them play and see how they develop? Jmo

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Sep 17, 2018, 9:08 AM

The main thing is a lot of early substitutions on offense with the skill players....nothing else. Defense is a dif story, it doesn't require a rhythm that you need on offense. You can get away with those early and constant subs against Furman and GA So. But the inefficiency on offense almost bit us against A&M and showed early this past weekend. I would just rather see the starting skill position guys see majority of the snaps in the first half at least to provide some type of rhythm in the offense....that goes with a starting QB too! I like spreading the ball around to dif guys, but a dozen Wr's and 3 RB's in the 1st qtr is a bit much. I mean, you got ETN out there busting 9 ypc and then sits for 3 possessions. I'm sure its something that could pay off getting the young guys valuable PT, but I think that's the main problem with the efficiency in the offense. I think it may be more starters in the bigger games tho.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:16 AM

What about potential injuries ETN and others in a garbage game? Is that worth the risk just to run up the numbers and the score. Patience grasshopper, patience!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 9:34 AM

Not saying in garbage time, EARLY SUBS....in the 1st qtr. ETN ended up playing in the 4th qtr anyway when he busted the 40 yrd TD because we're only up 17. I guess it doesn't matter one way or another, but the multiple early subs on offense is my opinion on why the offense struggles to get it going in the 1st qtr.

Sep 17, 2018, 12:03 PM

Yes, I agree it has affected rhythm early on but the point of the article and Dabo’s clearly stated goal is to get the backups MEANINGFUL playing time. It’s harder to do that when you’re up by 40, the opposing team is already deflated and you’re playing with 2-4th string players. I’m confident we won’t see as much substitution against BC, NC State, and a few others.

Sep 17, 2018, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year ]

Justyn Ross says hey. He's one of those skill players you want to sit until the game is pretty much over. I don't see a skills player on the team in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams that do not deserve a chance to play with the first team. Look at Braden Galloway. He may be our best TE and he's the 4th string. I'd say let Dabo continue to do what he does best and develop depth and competitiveness in a team that is made for Championship football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would we NOT.....

Sep 17, 2018, 9:10 AM

...play our freshmen?

Just my opinion:

- the better QB is a freshman
- our next defensive front are mostly freshman (and almost as good)
- we have a STELLAR running back in freshman, Lyn-J Dixon (more talented than Etienne, IMO)
- we have a TOP receiver (Justyn Ross = freshman)

NOT playing our freshman would be a freaking crime. We have an EASY schedule which gives the freshman time to learn and play before they get tossed into starting positions next year.

Trusting the process? It involves the understanding that the coaches know what they're doing - and until we take an "L", anyone else's opinions really little to no baring.

Re: Why would we NOT.....

Sep 18, 2018, 11:59 AM

It also really helps to recruit. High school players see all of the early playing time freshmen get and want o get the same.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:15 AM

Good article. Coach Swinney and staff have proven their system works, be happy with the results. Players that work their butts off all week should get playing time. The staff has done a good job of rewarding those that deserve to play, all will not be super stars but still deserve playing time. Keep up the great work Coach and Staff!!!! Go Tigers!!!!

Sep 17, 2018, 9:22 AM

You fail to appreciate the fact that the system is also positioning us well for next year. There is a reason we now “reload” as opposed to having to rebuild. Recruiting is vitally important. But if the underclass men aren’t getting a reasonable amount of meaningful snaps before they are depended on, they won’t be ready to maintain the winning tradition. These are the golden days of Clemson football in large part because of “the system.” I trust it and am grateful for it. Go Tigers!

While there ARE complainers, many of us are NOT complainers.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:24 AM

Just want to point that out. I hate to see the Clemson fan-base painted with a broad brush.

I am happy as hell with where Clemson football is right now (everything about it--not just the wins, but the whole of the culture and the program), and I'm certain tens of thousands feel exactly the same way.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:27 AM

I understand playing players that deserve to play
build depth
What I do not understand why put on the brakes
call junk plays no matter if 1st--2nd--3rd teams
or even the Tiger is in the game
Not every player can run the same play
Call a play that who ever is in the game has
at least an 80% chance of getting positive play out
of the play called

If I never see another play called that everyone knows
has been called "screen play in the flat" rather see
the QB just take a knee than see that play
Maybe set it up to look like it has been called
and run a rope-a-dope play (FAKE)
After the A & M game Dabo said the play of the OL
and coaches had to improve
Last years L at home less that 50 yards running all game
When the game depended on the play called the most
What the Coaches call 3 run plays
OC after the Bama L last year stated we knew they were going to
load the box to stop the run
1st play called run behind the center

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 9:39 AM

I love all Tiger fans, but if you find yourself upset that we didn’t win by enough - if that’s your biggest problem life is pretty darn good. I think some folks need to take a step back and look at the big picture. Dabo has built a freakin monster. Look back at 1992 to about 2013. Pretty sure Dabo and company have earned my respect. Now if we lose 3 straight and people are being arrested, that is legit to complain about. We can’t turn into a spoiled fan base.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year ]

There is no doubt that Dabo's teams have gotten better as the year goes on. Of course there is a fly in the ointment of that process this year. A&M. But we survived and it will pay off again. There is no better example of the process than watching TL develop gradually. He will be something by play-off time.

Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:45 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:56 AM

This has been going on since Dabo and the Tigers lost his first ACC Championship in Tampa. I had to walk away from punching a "loyal" Tiger fan already starting to run down how things were going without believing. Some of the Tiger fans are never satisfied and never will be. There is some truth about substituting offensive players and breaking the rythym but if you substitute often enough, you will eventually find the combinations and then the top 20 to 25 Offensive players will find the rhythm no matter which 11 are on the field at any one time. I believe the biggest thing now is for the coaches to figure out which plays to call and when. Just keep winning and things will work out. Go Tigers!

It’s not about the final score to me...

Sep 17, 2018, 9:58 AM

But rather the fact that our offensive line can’t blow Furman and GS off the ball and get 1 yard. Let alone Texas and M. We will probably cruise to the acc championship and be tested by Virginia Tech. But we will be dominated at the offensive los if we don’t drastically improve.

We should be able to run iso down GS and Furman throats.

Same. Final score isn't the issue. Personnel isn't the issue

Sep 17, 2018, 11:11 AM

But when you're so predictable that GSu can jump a WR screen for the interception, something is wrong.

We should be able to beat GSU & Furman running a very basic

Sep 17, 2018, 11:25 AM

offensive package... and we did. Easily.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: We should be able to beat GSU & Furman running a very basic

Sep 17, 2018, 12:10 PM

??????

Wouldn't say there is a disconnect...

Sep 17, 2018, 10:26 AM

between what fans think of Bama. They have been the measuring stick the past three years and they will be again this year. Agreed that there is plenty of time to go but there are some concerns with this offense.

Bama almost didn't make the playoffs because

Sep 17, 2018, 10:34 AM

they didn't look good at the end of the year, despite winning. Saban now sees he has to destroy every team so there's no doubt how good his team is.

Clemson

Sep 17, 2018, 10:36 AM

Don't peak too early! (Good philosophy in more than just football!)

Sep 17, 2018, 10:53 AM

Could someone with a better memory than mine go back to 2016 and remind us how that team started the year? I know the first game was not the expected blowout. Cain dropped the ball before running into the end zone and the offense was somewhat out of sink, so the Tiger faithful were concerned. The team peaked at the right time. We might also remember that we have been in the playoffs 3 of the 4 years it has existed. Only Alabama has been there all 4. I guess Dabo know a little about what he's doing. Right? Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 11:09 AM

I can remember when the coaches finally had our Tigers winning and playing in the CFP. Towards the end of each season the media and other fan bases would talk about how many players we was going to lose and how much we would struggle the next year. Thanks to the approach our coaches use we had players ready to step in and play as those players graduated or left for the NFL. This year we truly lose a great many seniors and juniors and we will be depending on little drop off. We also recognize great or potentially great talent and want those guys getting in school early and playing early.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Can we call it something besides "the process" - that's a Bama term.***

Sep 17, 2018, 11:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 11:19 AM

Great points in here - Dabo does it the right way for so many reasons. As many of you pointe out polls are not particularly important and have no meaning at all at this point in the season. Keep playing everyone you can. It builds quality depth and is a huge recruiting benefit to boot. Forget about what Bamma is doing at this point. We know we can play with and beat them if we play well (which we did not last year) - we'll worry about them later.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 11:30 AM

First of all, from 'inside the locker room', Dabo is doing it right. I was on a Tiger team that was highly ranked way back in the late 70's and early 80's. I was a walk-on and was totally invested -- I worked as hard as my fellow starting team members and expended as much blood and sweat ... definitely more tears.

The attitude of the day back then was to win big -- developing players was important, but generally an afterthought. Recruiting high profile players year after year generally took the place of developing players. Information about the process was virtually non-existent. I was redshirted, but didn't know what that meant as I didn't grow up around college sports. A player on an opposing college team that I went to high school with for a year asked me why I wasn't playing, I told him I thought I had been 'suspended or something.' :)

I had the skills, but not the experience. After 6 months of practicing with the team, I gained some good experience - the game slowed down, I was making good decisions. During spring practice of my freshman redshirt year, I was on fire and scored the equivalent of 7 touchdowns in 5 scrimmages. My confidence soared, and it showed in my play. I figured I would be first or second guy off the bench my sophomore (RS Freshman) year. A mid-year freshman that had just joined the team told me later he thought I was a starter.

But the opportunity never came. The same high profile players played all game - even when the score was WAY out of reach. There were no meetings to discuss the player's development roadmap. Growing up, my parents told me not to question authority. I remained silent. I dropped my head and lost my confidence.

While I dressed for a few home games, the fruits of my labors went unrewarded. Three years of getting to practice early, leaving late, morning runs, getting stronger, staying fit. I tried to remain engaged, but I kept seeing new players come in and get playing time - I felt like the forgotten player, my heart sunk. Players that I played with in high school were playing and starting at other schools. I thought about transferring, but never did.

After 3 years, I made the hardest decision of my life at that point. I quit the team and concentrated on earning my degree the next year - successfully. Little did I know I would - and will - regret that decision to quit for the rest of my life.

That's why Albert Huggins and other players like him are my heroes. I TOTALLY understand what he, and others, have gone through. He could have transferred and played - A LOT - but he stuck it out, and now is reaping the rewards. I'm SO happy for him! He will look back on his time at Clemson with fond memories and the lessons he learned about perseverance, and not quitting. Playing time erases some of the pain of the journey.

I love Clemson and come back often for football games and games for my sport. I always have a great time in TigerTown and it feels like home, and as much as I try to avoid it, there's always a brief moment that "what if?" pops into my mind. I'll never know what it would have felt like to represent MY university, MY family. There will always be something missing because this was something that I put so much time and effort into, with no answers. Even an answer that "you've reached your pinnacle " is better than not knowing.

DABO DEFINITELY GETS IT!!! His strategy is to develop players both on AND off the field and keep ALL players focused, hungry, and confident. The players will get playing time when the situation warrants it. But in the meantime, he's keeping all the players informed and moving forward. He's getting players time with starters because he knows the players will get more out of it by playing beside the top players. And the cherry on top, is the top players get to revel in the success of their fellow teammates!

I sure am happy for those players that the attitude of the coaches has changed, and I'm so happy for ALL the players. So don't begrudge the coaches for building up the WHOLE Team, the WHOLE Family, and letting the chips fall where they may. Winning is foremost and I have no doubt that the coaches calculate the risks very precisely, but they also know that winning with the WHOLE TEAM pays dividends way down the line!

Developing the players on and off the field does EVERYBODY good, and it also brings a huge smile to the faces of some of us that never got to experience it. GO TIGERS!

Sep 17, 2018, 11:43 AM

If you bring top notch talent into your program and develop them by allowing them to play meaningful minutes in games early in their career you lessen the chance of transfers. When you lose a big time player to transfer you really wasted a talent that you wanted. As a coach, you seldom win when your guys transfer away for lack of playing time. Eventually that will catch up with you. Dabo is doing the right thing with these young play

Sep 17, 2018, 11:44 AM

Players. They will be the guys you cheer for the next two or three years.

Sep 17, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Monday morning thoughts: Trusting the process not always easy this time of year ]

I like your post too. But don't be too hard on yourself about quitting. I quit decades ago, too after many years of football. I can understand the Buffalo Bills player who quit at half time. There comes a point where the exhausting practices are just too much if you're not playing. It happens to everyone sooner or later at some level. Your other point about the way Dabo plays many and develops them is accurate.

Sep 17, 2018, 11:38 AM

Bullseye.

Great points! However...

Sep 17, 2018, 11:57 AM

I don't think some of our issues right now are solely due to playing more players, many of whom are young and inexperienced. Building depth is a great thing, even though it means we might not score 60 points and shut teams out.

We clearly have issues on the offensive line, which should not be occurring given our veteran starters. Why couldn't they get short yardage needed against the likes of Furman and Georgia Southern? Is this a recruiting issue, a player development issue, or a schematic issue? Or a combination of the above?

We also have issues with play calling, which is probably partly due to the offensive line's struggles. Why do we get overly conservative when we have a lead? Why do we keep calling plays that rarely work? Why aren't we getting more players involved? Thankfully, this seemed much better against Georgia Southern, but still needs addressing.

It's easy to say, "We're winning, who cares?" or "Our coaches have proven themselves, don't question them." But there are bona fide issues that need addressing. The coaches obviously know that, but there is nothing wrong with fans discussing it on a message board as well.

I agree about the ridiculousness of fans who obsess over the final score, and what Alabama and Georgia are doing. We don't need to worry about them at this point. We won't play them until the playoffs, assuming they make it that far. ;)

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sounds stupid that people think you care what they think

Sep 17, 2018, 12:01 PM

about something you have no control over. Strange world these days!

Sep 17, 2018, 12:45 PM

Excellent article David and one of the best threads ever on TNET. Excellent responses that remain on topic. I have not read all of the posts but those I did read did not touch on one point I consider extremely important. Some coaches tell a recruit he will get early playing time just to get his commitment even though the prospect is no where ready for early playing time. Dabo can honestly tell a prospect that if he works hard and has the talent, he will get early playing time, and not just in mop-up duty. We have seen evidence of this in our first three games. The best experience is gained when a freshman plays during the early part of the game when our opponent has their first string in the game.

Louisville appears to be a good example of a coach not planning for the future. Playing a QB most of a game to accumulate favorable stats for national recognition and not giving a back-up adequate playing time to develop his skills, can come home to haunt you.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 1:38 PM

The people complaining about the scores are the same ones that derisively called Dabo a cheerleader. Who cares what they think.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw the morons who would contest Dabo's strategy.

Sep 17, 2018, 1:52 PM

That includes bandwagon fans, Vegas betting junkies and other cynical old fart like me. This place is nearly unbearable sometimes even after a blowout which displayed Clemson talent which other teams' coaches would give their firstborn to have.

PSA, if you're going to bet the spread then check Dabo's history and take the points against Clemson through the season until we play USuCk and the ACCCCG. Then you can give the points and take Clemson.

And for heaven sake, if you can't afford to lose don't bet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 6:12 PM

I really enjoy seeing the younger players on the field, knowing that they are the players of the future. I agree that the early experience for them will pay dividends when they are needed.

I have no problem emptying the bench, I just want us to keep

Sep 18, 2018, 8:17 PM

our foot on the gas pedal when we do it...Putting in the backups and then running the dive 3 times does nothing for building quality depth

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic