Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course"

Sep 12, 2018, 7:01 AM

Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course"

Kelly Bryant has been praised and ridiculed and glorified and vilified, so when his veteran presence helped steer No. 2 Clemson to a 28-26 victory at Texas A&M last Saturday night, he could be forgiven if he wanted to thumb his nose at his doubters. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is our T-Net donations now for use as the PR firm for KB?

Sep 12, 2018, 7:12 AM

I like KB but T-Net has been way over the top in trying too convince everyone that KB is the man. He will either prove it or not. The coaches are giving him every chance to lead and succeed. Enough with the slant.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ BOO U “Baltimore”!

Sep 12, 2018, 7:19 AM

1st..KB2 is the QB until proven otherwise..and yes i can’t wait to see TLaw play more but not to the detriment of kicking KB2 under the bus!

Calm down Md Boy! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No personal attacks William!

Sep 12, 2018, 7:33 AM

To Baltimore’s point- the article acts like KB won the job for the year by a dominant performance.

1- He didn’t move ahead in my book (witch doesn’t matter I know)

2- his performance was good. It wasn’t dominant or awesome.

I love KB and this is no slight against him. I’m just calling like I see it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly***

Sep 12, 2018, 7:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No personal attacks William!

Sep 12, 2018, 7:46 AM [ in reply to No personal attacks William! ]

Agreed. No offense Bill, but you are going a bit far in your responses. Go reread the senior bowl article. You do realize that article itself says the scouts saw the same thing people here discussing it saw, right? They did say " that we didn't see in last year's tape". So really, that means what we saw, they saw. So why act like we were wrong. Obviously that says we were correct about last year and what has been seen prior to the season this year. That article also discussed how many still are projecting him not as a QB, as well as mentioned his inaccuracy issues. Wonder why.

In the end, he had a really shaky start to the game, some of the same inaccuracy we have been discussing that was also seen in the Furman game. He did put together a good drive in the first half , and really pulled things together for a complete second half. But the jury is still out of he can do it consistently. A half of a game isn't enough to start crowning him as completely improved, or the best for the whole season. Both will likely still be needed.

Sep 12, 2018, 8:27 AM

Without KB we lose Saturday night !!!

Sep 12, 2018, 9:30 AM

lol...without TL and Tee's TD, we lose Saturday night!! Your point is?? Kelly didn't score enough on his own to win without TL's TD while he was having fun overthrowing guys in the first half.. Fact.

Sep 12, 2018, 9:56 AM

Sorry my friend but no one has way of knowing that simply because of the multiple series that KB sat out. However, im still of the opinion that TL takes over the starting position at some point. He needs to settle in. TAMU is tough place for a true freshman to play. This is what I know for sure and that is we cannot continue to allow teams to stack the box against us and have success. I believe TL, once he gets used to the college game, is the best option to stretch the field and make teams pay for loading the box. Patience my friend. I could tell Saturday night that it’s not quite his time and without KB there is no doubt in my mind we would’ve lost but again I have no way of knowing that for sure either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: No personal attacks William! ]

KB may have scored that drive or the first drive of the second half. Who knows. I'm glad we have both and can go with the hot hand. Just hope we become more aggressive when up 2 scores.

Sep 12, 2018, 10:30 AM

But he didn't. Don't play what if's...we could say, what if TL's was opened up on the playcalling 2nd half, went out there and threw 4 TD's, put the game away in the 3rd quarter...There's a what if in any scenario.

Just plain and simple, take away TL's 1 play TD off the final score, Clemson loses. KB's scores were not enough alone. That simple.

Sep 12, 2018, 2:05 PM

That’s just dumb. Ok take away KBs scores and we get blown out

Sep 12, 2018, 2:13 PM

That would also be correct. Still didn't change that Kelly didn't do it all, man. Took both QB's, like it or not. Can't wait to see your lack of response when Trevor does the same in a different game. Welcome to the 2... Count it 2...QB system.

Sep 13, 2018, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: No personal attacks William! ]

Take away TL's TD pass, and we lose, too. I would say both are pretty good QB's, and play calling makes a huge difference in who looks best. KB looks better when he runs, provided the right plays are called and there is blocking. TL looks great when he throws, provided the right play is called and there is blocking and the receiver actually catches the ball. It really doesn't matter what we say. It seems KB has the nod, for now. It will take a major fail/injury, etc. to KB for TL to take over for good. I worry about our one dimensional offense and the under-utilization of our stellar receivers, but I am going to pull for us, no matter who is in the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: No personal attacks William! ]

True!

Waiting to see consistency? the guy is 14 - 2 as a starter. That is consistent! Stop hating for a minute and look at his record!

Sep 12, 2018, 2:16 PM

"his"???? Um, that's a team record, unless he was fielded 11 times on both sides of the ball. Last I recall, we won several last year with him not being the main scoring guy, and due to the defense. Stop over stating what he did for a minute and give credit to the rest of his team that bailed him out of a few of those wins. Even Herbie has stated that.

Sep 12, 2018, 4:00 PM

Not overstating anything. You act like he is the only QB that Wins and loss don't apply... QBs are team leaders. Have you ever been part of an organization where the leader is responsible for the good and the bad of a team. Just stop hating.

The coaches are confident in him to get the job done. But I'm sure you know more than the coaches...

Sep 12, 2018, 4:17 PM

I'm not hating....I'm stating the reality. Sorry some of you are blind to it.

Fact, KB overthrew guys in the first series of the game...that can be seen on film.
Fact, his issues caused the coaches to put Trevor in for 6 out of 9 of the first series. Series went KB, KB, TL, TL, TL, KB, TL...half...TL, TL...Kelly rest of the game.
Fact, they BOTH scored 1 time in the first half...only one of them did it with a pass and one down.
Fact, Kelly played more in the second half of the game...one quarter is where all the plays were done. he scored nothing and struggled himself in the entire 4th quarter, so it's not hating to say that he ALSO struggled in the game when 2 of 4 quarters show that. Check the game stats, check the game log, check anything...that's fact.
Fact, TL's passing game was MUCH better than Bryant's in the Furman game...the running game also was just as good with him in the game (with the RB's doing the running), as it was with Kelly in the game (and Kelly doing most of the running). TL posted a better QB RAT by nearly 50 points and a much better QBR, while playing the exact same amount of playing time as Kelly. He didn't play the same amount of playing time in the Texas A&M game.

Here's what's funny...how exactly did the Texas A&M game show Kelly should be the STARTER?? He started shaky....several missed passes, throwing accuracy was all over the place...scored once, with a rushing TD. Trevor's first play, he nailed a long ball pass to Tee Higgins that went for a TD. Kelly came alive in the 3rd quarter, then fizzled in the 4th, scoring nothing in that quarter. If you ask me, that actually leans more that Trevor should be the one beginning the games, Kelly playing a little, Kelly be the guy to put them away in the second half. That's exactly what happened in that game. Don't see where he was the stronger guy at the START....or technically the end either. How is saying that hating. That's how it went...period.

Sep 13, 2018, 12:44 AM [ in reply to Re: No personal attacks William! ]

While we are extrapolating, TL might just be 14-0 were he the guy. Who really knows. One thing I do know, and I sat through it in New Orleans, is when the box is loaded against a great team, KB had no clue. He looked as lost as any QB I ever saw. Granted the OL looked very weak, but everybody and his brother knew we were mostly going to have to run it, because KB was not a good passer. Alabama dared us to throw it, and we couldn't do it.

Sep 12, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: No personal attacks William! ]

If I just read most of the comments I would think we lost.

Sep 12, 2018, 3:12 PM

Hint, we almost did. It has yet to be seen how good Texas A&M is...you just have this game, and their cupcake game to base on. How would you feel about that win if they lose their next 6 games, get blown out by Bama as well??

Yes, we won....but it wasn't pretty, there were major issues..offensively, defensively, and play calling and they do need to address them, as Swinney himself said. And people are discussing those things....why, because some of us see a loss coming if they aren't fixed. Oh and let me clue everyone in on something....our SOS won't look as good this year as it did when we played 3-4 ranked teams in a season. Right now, we have 0 on our record, or future schedule. 1 loss, and we'll possibly be out, ACC-CG or not, as any team with 1 loss and a conference championship with a stronger SOS will get the vote. Oh, and if you look at teamrankings future SOS as of today, that would be every single team in the top 20 except #17 Boise St, #13 VT (who may be who we face for the ACC-CG if both do well, so one would get cancelled out due to head to head win), #20 Oregon and #18 UCF. You banking on #17, #18, or #20 making the final 5?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/future-sos-by-other
Bama #5
CU #35
UGA #16
OH St #2
OU #11
Wisc #12
AU #1
ND #26
Stan #15
Wash #31
Penn St #7
LSU #3
VT #45
WVU #14
TCU #8
Miss St #4
Boise St #63
UCF #71
MI #6
Oreg #47

Sep 12, 2018, 7:46 AM [ in reply to No personal attacks William! ]

Nm. Sorry, double post

Sep 12, 2018, 3:38 PM [ in reply to No personal attacks William! ]

You must be missing something, because KB brings something to this team right now that TL doesn't ....experience. I would bet that even TL understands that and realizes that they are at a little different level when Kelly is in the game. TL may pass him this year, but not right now.

Sep 12, 2018, 3:57 PM

yes, they are...TL was better in one full game, KB was better for a quarter and equal in another quarter in the other that was played on the road in the rain and was full of golden horseshoe completions for the opposing team.

LOL...sorry, but that's reality. Everyone else is blowing it way out of proportion. I'm going to laugh my tail off if TL is why we win NC State, FSU, or GT in 2 weeks (in Atlanta, a venue we've only won in once in the last 14 years, 6 games worth). GT is usually beat in the air, and Kelly has hardly any experience playing them in Atlanta....3 rush attempts in 2015, for -1 yard, that's all he has.

Sep 12, 2018, 4:06 PM

You really don't like KB huh? He beat all those teams last year. How many rushing yards did TL have against Furman??? 1 yard for 3 attempts. How much experience does TL have against the Jackets...Let me guess. Zero.. Keep laughing..

Sep 12, 2018, 4:30 PM

"he beat all those teams"....

OK, so how many passing TD's did he have vs FSU?? How many TD's did he have rushing vs the RB's or the defense? Yes, I said defense....oh, "he" wonm that game...I see. lol

How about VT? How many did "he" have, that weren't run 60 yards by a running back after a throw?? How many rushing did he have vs the RB's...or the defense?

yeah, that's what I thought. "He" was a part of a team that won those games...he's hardly the guy responsible for every single win. The defense and RB's bailed him out of several games he only made 1 TD in with his own rushing and his WR's.

Sep 12, 2018, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: No personal attacks William! ]

And ah, so you are saying neither QB has any experience advantage playing GT in Atlanta...now you are getting somewhere. Sounds a bit better than acting like he's ever won in a venue where Clemson has won only once in 14 years. Well, isn't that interesting.

So in the last 2 years, how has GT been beaten? Passing or rushing?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937505
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869446

Who has more passing TD's so far this season 4 to 2, TL, or KB??

Sep 12, 2018, 10:23 PM [ in reply to No personal attacks William! ]

KB led the offense on 2 TD drives but then failed to do anything in the fourth quarter. He is who he is and that's not a QB who will win a national championship. He's a decent runner and poor thrower surrounded by filthy offensive talent.

Drunk this early Bill? :)***

Sep 12, 2018, 7:39 AM [ in reply to ^ BOO U “Baltimore”! ]

Re: Drunk this early Bill? :)- Hey the man has a hurricane

Sep 12, 2018, 8:09 AM

bearing down on him. If he isnt drunk with that stress he should be by now. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course"

Sep 12, 2018, 7:19 AM

fortunately he is much more composed in games than some of the fan base

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 7:36 AM

Then, Dabo needs to end this experiment and go with Bryant exclusively. There will be a point of diminished returns the longer this competition goes on. Go ahead and redshirt Lawrence, go with the sentimental favorite, Bryant, and make Brice our back up. We are in week three and it’s still the main topic of conversation. I’m exhausted over the banter back and forth and I can only assume it has some effect on the team. For Goodness sakes, just make a decision.

Sep 12, 2018, 7:48 AM

I dont think it is an experiment. He's trying to get TL some experience in case we have to use him full time due to injury or to develop him for next year. The guys involved have a handle on this. Only the fan base doesnt

Sep 12, 2018, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

Dumbest comment seen yet. Lawrence won't be redshirting. And one good half of football doesn't just end all.

Sep 12, 2018, 8:04 AM

I've been wowed and underwhelmed by both QBs and it's not all on them. Just let them play!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

One good half? Huh

Sep 12, 2018, 9:05 AM

I still have my doubts !!!!

Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong:

Sep 12, 2018, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

Yes, one good half of FB. First half, Trevor played 4 drives (one only 1 down to end the half), Kelly played 3...each only scored 1 time, and Kelly DID in fact start the game overthrowing and under-throwing guys...went 3 and out first drive. He was eventually replaced by Trevor for the last drive of the half, then the next 2 ensuing drives after the half.

Kelly played a decent second quarter and a great 3rd quarter, wasnt great in the 1st and 4th. That's 1/2 of good FB.

Guess you must have put on your blinders during that.

You seem to hurl insults effortlessly..

Sep 12, 2018, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

However, in this instance I’ll take it as a compliment coming from the you, the definitive epitome of all things ignorant. Not stupidity, that’s for those that know better but still do. The ignorant just don’t know better. Thanks for setting me straight.

Re: You seem to hurl insults effortlessly..

Sep 12, 2018, 8:59 AM

Don’t worry about him just consider the source

Re: You seem to hurl insults effortlessly..

Sep 12, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to You seem to hurl insults effortlessly.. ]

Sorry, it is dumb to think they have any plans to redshirt Lawrence when they've already said they won't be and do plan to play both QB's ALL SEASON. Only dimwits like you and armsBryant over here think that one RAINY game (where the run game is usually favored, btw...Kelly, hello), would have them redshirt a guy, who if you missed it, had the ACC Play OF THE WEEK in that game:
https://www.tigernet.com/update/WATCH-Lawrence-to-Higgins-ranked-No-1-ACC-play-of-the-week-30778

Guess you must have missed how Deshaun looked in a rainy game vs Notre Dame. It wasn't all that good either.

Sep 12, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

Not sure I watched the same game as you guys:

Clemson hung 28 points on a tough defense, and played a really clean game.

I thought I saw the front four bust Mond's chops at least 17 times by my count, all while dragging the A&M offensive line all the way to the quarterback. In a tightly refed game Clemson would have beat A&M on offensive holding penalties alone. Clemson got a few no calls themselves, but it just seemed a little lopsided to me on the holding calls. If the refs don't call it tightly from the start holding can get out of hand. Maybe the back field refs need a little coaching on missing their assignments.

Secondly, Yes our secondary looked bad. You can't leave guys wide open against a Mond type QB. Looked more like poor execution than talent to my untrained eye.

Third, TL has a long way to go to match KB in pocket elusiveness.

Lastly the catch by Renfrow was a thing of beauty. He looks like a fine machine when he just curls it in.

OK, a ps: Maybe watching TL get stuffed on a couple drives had to give KB some assurance in his job security. He really seemed to stop thinking and just play afterward.

Sep 12, 2018, 9:28 AM

I think that the play calling when TL was in had a lot to do with his lack of success!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

I agree with you- the secondary play and the lack of holding penalties (and Mond's exceptional throwing) were the bulk of what went wrong. All pretty easily fixable, in my opinion. I would like to see Tony Elliot open up the offense, but I am sure he knows what is best, being only this far into the season, I can see him wanting to be conservative at this stage. The newer guys will benefit from playing time and need a chance to learn the system. I am optimistic they will get the kinks worked out.

Sep 12, 2018, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant proves doubters wrong: "I just stayed the course" ]

and can take criticism without crapping all over himself and calling everyone a coot, imagine that

My obervations on the QB situation

Sep 12, 2018, 11:57 AM

I haven't gotten too involved in this QB discussion, but what the heck. So far we're 2 games into the season, having played one easy team and possibly one of the hardest teams we'll play all season (time will tell on this one).

Game 1 showed us nothing other than what we already knew, KB can run really well and TL can pass really well. We also observed that KB appears to be proficient at passing.

Game 2 showed us that at worst KB is a good game manager, and TL cracked a little bit under pressure. KB didn't light it up when he was in there most of the time and he had the costly fumble, but he also managed the game well when it mattered. TL had the awesome TD pass to Higgins although that was mostly Higgins that made that play look so good, and then the rest of the time looked a little lost more like a typical freshman. That's ok though because very few QBs look really good in their freshman year. He's clearly going to be phenomenal at some point, but he needs some experience.

I think what has impressed me most about KB is how he has handled the situation with TL being put in games early. I would venture to say that most starting QBs from the previous year would not take well to this. Personally I'm not advocating for KB over TL or TL over KB, but all I can say is that I was leaning towards the TL camp before the season started and now KB is starting to win me over.

Re: My obervations on the QB situation

Sep 12, 2018, 12:05 PM

I love how everyone here would credit Deshaun and Williams both for this TD (Deshaun for the throw only Williams could get to, Williams or the jump catch):
http://www.secsports.com/video/18144004/clemson-williams-makes-incredible-catch-early-td

Yet say "it was mostly Higgins" like Trevor didn't throw it exactly in the same place Watson did in that. *smdh,

Sep 12, 2018, 12:15 PM

If you are referring to my statement that Higgins mostly made that play, I will clarify. The throw was nice and put to where only Higgins had the opportunity to catch it by high pointing it, so I would call the throw and the catch about 50/50 as far TL gets 50% credit for the throw and Higgins gets 50% credit for the catch. Now after Higgins came down with the catch, it was all Higgins effort to score the TD. So that's why I said it was "mostly Higgins" because I was referring to the whole play.

Sep 12, 2018, 12:30 PM

That I will agree on...about the same as Bryant's only TD score vs VT last year that he threw 12 yards and Feaster mostly ran.

Just pointing out how people are flip-flopping stances (mainly to try their hardest to discredit Trevor) saying Bryant played good vs VT last year (with that as his only pass TD that Feaster is mostly responsible for), then turn around and act like Trevor threw a bad pass and Tee "saved it", which is how several on here have been spinning it. To me, that pass is exactly like that Watson/Williams pass above....a perfect thrown high point ball, which actually helped Tee to get in position for the play after the catch. If it was "too high" and Tee had to overstretch and "save it", that after-the-catch play wouldn't have been possible.

It's like you are slightly "discrediting" Trevor after he is part of the ACC play of the game, and saying he looked lost afterwards...when that was actually more the play-calling going conservative afterwards, which was bad for both QB's. Can't act like Bryant looked good with it the entire 4th quarter, because he didn't either. I personally put some of the blame on the playcalling for both QB's, and most of that was likely due to the one factor the majority of people are not even mentioning...the rain. Crazy things happen in rain games.

Sep 12, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: My obervations on the QB situation ]

Allow me to present this reality. If multiple power five programs can prepare true freshmen to start, why can't we? Just asking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 1:54 PM

I think they will. So next year they will have this "Phenom" to prepare..

https://www.tigernet.com/recruit/Taisun-Phommachanh-3234

Sep 12, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: My obervations on the QB situation ]

Who are these schools ?

USC started a true freshman QB, Hurts started as a true Fr,***

Sep 12, 2018, 2:23 PM

Sep 12, 2018, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: My obervations on the QB situation ]

UGA (Fromm)... You know, last year's SEC champion and National championship runner up... That'd be one of them. Clemson in 2014, Deshaun Watson... That'd be another.

Peyton Manning...RG3....Jamelle Holloway...Jarrett Stidham (w/ Baylor),....

In what way did he prove anybody wrong? We went scoreless

Sep 12, 2018, 2:28 PM

in the 4th and had to hold on and hope the D didn't give up the winning score...Taking the ball down the field and scoring to put the game away instead of holding our breath and hoping the D saved the day might be staying the course, but it hardy hurt the doubters case and it certainly didn't prove them wrong.

Re: In what way did he prove anybody wrong? We went scoreless

Sep 12, 2018, 2:51 PM

That's what I'm trying to get. He started shaky in the game, went 3 and out after showing the exact inaccuracies in his passing with his over throws and under throws that every discussed pre-season (though the writers here seem to discard it as much as the KB pumpers that are knocking every little move Trevor makes). Ended up playing only 3 of the first 9 drives of the game (scoring one of them...by a rush play) and was shown on the sidelines looking "concerned" not being called out there when Trevor went out on his 3rd drive. Came in, after Trevor started the first 2 drives of the 2nd half, had a good 3rd quarter, then fizzled again in the 4th and the game came to the wire. In the end, his 3rd quarter efforts were enough to put the game away, but he sure didn't exactly finish strong not scoring one single time in the 4th quarter (play calling has some to do with that). In the end, he had 2 good quarters out of 4. Not enough to silence doubters or "prove" anyone wrong.

He did show some glimpses of improvement on the deep ball, I'll give him that....but he also showed the exact things in passing inaccuracy people have addressed as a concern as well...for the second game in a row. Hasn't yet proven that his passing is much more consistently accurate than last year as far as I've seen so far.

Sep 12, 2018, 5:33 PM

I’m convinced you have an agenda. You mentions KBs sole 3 and out at the start of the game and in your other 90 posts never recognize TL’s ?? THREE STRAIGHT 3 and OUTS. Is it play calling when it happens ?? THREE TIMES IN A ROW?

KB has had more explosive plays, led more TD drives, and willed the team to victory. Even when we got conservative he flipped the field on a long run, answered a momentum-swinging TD with a crowd quieting TD all when we went conservative. To say that TL’s sole pass caused us to win is disingenuous. If KB went 3 and out 3 times in a row you’d never let us forget it because you stated it for the one time he did to open the game and that’s why we know you have an agenda.

Sep 12, 2018, 6:30 PM

An agenda?? If that's what you call actually telling the reality, not the twisted versions, is an agenda, then you guys are really warped. I mention Kelly's 3 and out because HE'S THE STARTER AND THAT WAS HIS STARTING DRIVE, DA. What was Trevor's first starting drive for the game.??...1 pass...TD. You want to mention Trevor's couple of 3 and outs, like that makes him so much worse than Kelly...how about Kelly's entire 4th quarter of no points, several stalled drives? That really much different?? No.

I don't know either guy, don't care which one plays as long as the BETTER one plays and the guy that gives us the best chance. BOTH have shown they are winners...Both have a game each they did better than the other...BOTH have shown mistakes. It's only this board that wants to run around acting like KB doesn't make any mistakes...doesn't have any issues...didn't overthrow guys in the last 2 games, like he did all last season. That's just lying to yourselves because you are all about not having a freshman beat a senior out. If he does, so be it....why do half of you have such a problem with it?

Sep 12, 2018, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: In what way did he prove anybody wrong? We went scoreless ]

And for the record, I never said Trevor's pass IS why the game was won...I said, and listen close....WITHOUT Trevor's TD, Clemson still loses with only the points scored by Kelly's drives.

If you want to prove that wrong, tell me how 28-7= 21...Clemson 21 - Texas A&M 26 wouldn't be a loss....please, would love to see that warped math you got going on that makes Kelly Bryant the only guy that should be credited for the final score or the win. Both were needed.. Not one... Both.

I had no doubt that...

Sep 12, 2018, 3:20 PM

KB couldn't be the same QB we had last year, and could continue to beat unranked teams....

Re: I had no doubt that...

Sep 12, 2018, 7:41 PM

TL looked quite lost at times the other night . Personally I think Swinney was trying to prove a point . That's why he left him in so long .In addition I keep hearing all this coachspeak about TL's running ability I just don't see it . He certainly does not know how to run the read option yet . KB outplayed him for sure . That being said playing on the road in front of that crowd in your first real game had to be tough . The kid has all the tools to be great and eventually will surpass KB . Also I always see posts on here about how we won because of our D last year . Well let me tell ya that was not the case the other night . KB came through .

Our fourth quarter point total of 0 says hi.

Sep 12, 2018, 10:03 PM

KB definitely stepped up at times during the A&M game, but we didn't get key fourth quarter scores when we needed them most.

I mostly blame our OCs for this though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

But the other team was packing the box and daring us to

Sep 13, 2018, 12:45 AM

throw deep...There's virtually no adjustment for that...Oh wait

Sep 12, 2018, 10:21 PM

Some would consider me a hater. In reality I'm just a realist. And KB hasn't proved me wrong. He's reinforced it.

KB is the same QB he was last year. A game manager who can put up mediocre to decent performance against 90% of teams. But he's not an accurate thrower and handcuffs the offense because the opposing D can crowd the line. Like last year, if he's the QB against a top defense, we won't score many if any points.

KB is still KB. Y1>=Y2

Sep 12, 2018, 11:59 PM

The QB job is Lawrence’s job. He just doesn’t have the grasp, control, ability to read the defenses quite good enough to take over yet. So, Dabo is using him as motivation for Bryant. Why else would TL be forced to open the 2nd half with such a run heavy offense?! He was cooling Lawrence off, to cool the controversy a bit. To give time for the Freshman to grow. Meanwhile, KB is on the sideline breathing fire. He’s inserted and has the two best drives of the year. Then, went back to being just KB! I see where everyone says Bryant played a perfect 2nd half. What?! All those : 3 & outs were perfect?! I’m dumfounded. Perfect in my eyes would have been a 21-28pt cushion with 3-4th stringers gettin playing time. Lawrence will be QB1. Trust the coaching staff to make the decision at the right time.

To address KB’s growth: I have seen little growth. I don’t see true growth in his progressions. His patience as a passer. Extending plays, while keeping eyes downfield. Second read, if it isn’t there, pull it, run. See last year: Syracuse, Alabama, Furman, NC State, and this year: TAMU 2nd half. They loaded the box. Dared KB to throw the ball. Single coverage with a single safety high and the linebackers shallow. As soon as Bryant pulls it to run, all those teams crashed the “box”. Knowing the cover men only had to hold a short count, they effectively took KB’s game away from him. Those games controlled him.

KB netted les points per play in every game this year than Lawrence. Let me remind you, Lawrence is, a green eared, rosy faced freshman fresh out of High School. Bryant, a 5th year senior. Bryant has gifts that most of us would only dream about. But, to say he has grown so much is very cheer leader like. The numbers don’t lie. Against an FBS school, and an unranked TAMU with a new head coach, Bryant has a QBR under 75! Against FURMAN + TAMU!!! Lawrence on the other hand....has a almost 2x advantage there!! So, he’s slowly groomed by the coaches. We have to trust them to know best. Bryant has the cool hand. He’s going to get you a grind it out, wear them out type win. But, it won’t fly against the elite teams. Which Furman & TAMU are not! Jimbo hasn’t walked on water down there yet! I love KB & what he’s accomplished for us as much as anyone. I’d love to see him as a slot receiver if TL does take over. My opinion may be wrong. But, it’s kinda like falling out of a boat on Lake Hartwell. You’re going to hit water at some point..
Go Tigers!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB is still KB. Y1>=Y2

Sep 13, 2018, 1:14 AM

Bryant’s cumulative QBR is 52.8 according to ESPN. Just to put the numbers out there. I realize my views are my opinion. We all have opinions. They all won’t be he same. The ability to discuss differences in opinions is what makes us great, and diverse! Just because one guy feels Bryant should start or Lawrence should start doesn’t give anyone the right to berate someone. Let’s try to treat one another the way we treat visitors at Death Valley. With kindness. We celebrate our differences! We just can’t offer the cold beer & chicken wings! Hahahaha! And hopefully, we will celebrate: Another Clemson Championship!
Go Tigers!!

Real world stats. Not ESPN fluff

Sep 13, 2018, 12:57 AM

Ok. I’ll do the math. Let the numbers speak for themselves. This is the NCAA passer rating metric. Not the “hocus pocus” our formula is too complicated to explain it fully, or don’t pull the curtain back!! No rushing stats added. No mystery defense algorithm inserted to elevate a SEC QB to elite status!

Kelly Bryant QB
22/34 337 2TD 0int giving him: 64.71% completion rate 9.91yards per attempt 5.88% TD% 0% int rate 167.37 NCAA passer rating

Trevor Lawrence QB
14/23 230 4TD 0int giving him: 60.87% comp rate 10 yards per attempt!!! 17.39TD%!!!!!! 0% int rate 202.26 NCAA QB RATING!!!!!

Who doesn’t want two cats slinging it like that?! The raw data. Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: OneJedi

Re: Real world stats. Not ESPN fluff

Sep 13, 2018, 6:37 AM

When Coach Elliot says we have to do something to make other teams stop stacking the box against us, I'd think hard about the need to improve the passing game.

Sep 13, 2018, 10:09 AM

Oh, I think that’s exactly what they’re trying to do as OneJedi pointed out in the posts above. Trying to bring Trevor along as well as motivation for kb. Which, fortunately for us we have a few games to continue that strategy.

I’d posted after Saturday that I hope we get to play this game this weekend and I’d have both sides play the 18 class to get them some valuable PT and experience so we’d have more backup for the corners. Also get some backup for safety too.

Perhaps we could use the same motivation for the safeties as we’re doing in the qb’s. Even though we were getting held, we do need to keep our eyes in the right place as cbv says.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Real world stats. Not ESPN fluff ]

If you go back and watch the playcalling for Lawrence in the Furman game, he was able to push the defenders out of the box. Which, allowed the running game to explode. NFL teams can’t run against a stacked box. We have to prove we can throw it, which I think is your point as well. Which, I think both young men are capable of. I feel almost like Rob Spence is in the booth calling plays at times. Stacked box? Hey! Power dive! Didn’t work? Try it again! It gets almost monotonous. Or, we run he zone read and most of the time the wrong read is made. End crashes, and we give it to the dive back. Or, vice versa. Usually in the second half. Playing to not lose. Foot off the gas. Giving the other team hope. Momentum. I ant to see that killer instinct. Put them away. Pull away from everyone. Especially when we are the superior team. Granted, Kyle Field is a tough as it gets. A&M has great personnel as well. Cupboard was fully stocked. I don’t think Jimbo is a great head coach overall, but he is a great playcaller, and adjustment maker. He really dialed in on us. But, hey! What a great time to be a Tiger?! We’re in the golden age for sure!

The Bridge

Sep 13, 2018, 1:32 PM

KB2 has had a tough job all along bridging the gap between two legends potentially and he has done nothing but been rock solid. He doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.

Bunch of Girl Scouts

Sep 13, 2018, 5:54 PM

So Sick of hearing Grown*** Men arguing about this. Let it play out and stop Whining! Do you guys have jobs, wives, lives, or do you just b***** about decisions you don’t control all day. Move Past this argument SHEESH!!

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic