Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school

Dec 11, 2018, 7:01 AM

It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school

Cooper Dawson’s recruitment just got a lot more complicated as he tries to decide between his dream position and his dream school. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny Story..

Dec 11, 2018, 7:36 AM

In 2008, my son and I attended the NFL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. I remember Gary Zimmerman (inducted as offensive tackle) talking about his recruitment. He was highly coveted as an OL, but Oregon was the only major school that told him that he could play linebacker, his dream position. He turned down Southern Cal, UCLA, and several other power schools of the day who wanted him to play OL to go play linebacker at Oregon. He said that when he arrived for his first practice at Oregon, the jersey hanging in his locker was #75. He ended up all Pac 10 at Tackle in 1983, played 12 years at tackle in the NFL, 169 consecutive starts and 7 Pro-Bowls. I had a chance to speak to him and asked if he was bitter about the fact that the coaches had lied to him. He said it was tough at first, but that he wouldn't be wearing that Hall of Fame Jacket if he followed his dream. Sometimes you gotta trust your coach

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

Syracuse??

Dec 11, 2018, 8:35 AM

I'm sure it is great for now but Babers will be gone in 2 years or less.
Follow your dream... Be a Tiger.

Re: Syracuse??

Dec 11, 2018, 9:18 AM

You can be at your dream school. Is position that big a deal then?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It probably would be to me...

Dec 11, 2018, 11:20 AM

But I’m sure it’s different for different folks...

Plus Syracuse is an armpit

Dec 11, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Syracuse?? ]

Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school

Dec 11, 2018, 8:51 AM

Wasn't Hunter Renfrow a QB...who Dabo turned into a game changing RB? And what can you say about Christian Wilkins Pink Ranger/Man of Mystery...he does it all. Either you go where you're happy, or you have regrets. Trust me on that one. My main question is why Clemson is even hot on this kid. He's a 3-star, and has already torn his ACL? I'd want my players at 100% from jump street.

Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school

Dec 11, 2018, 9:04 AM

You obviously know your football.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

Renfrow is a WR at Clemson, and has always been, not a RB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

Pretty sure Renfrow is a wideout lol. OL aren’t always ranked as high as skill guys. This guy needs to look at Gage Cervenka came in as a DL now a starter on OL. Our coaches know what they are doing!

Go Tigers!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

Wasn't Hunter Renfrow a QB...who Dabo turned into a game changing RB? And what can you say about Christian Wilkins Pink Ranger/Man of Mystery...he does it all. Either you go where you're happy, or you have regrets. Trust me on that one. My main question is why Clemson is even hot on this kid. He's a 3-star, and has already torn his ACL? I'd want my players at 100% from jump street.

You are completely lost--- Hunter is not a running back and Christian plays where he was recruited. Lineman typically do not become the player that they end up being until they spend time with the coaches and hit the weight room.Let the coaches coach and don't bring crap light this to TNET---We trust our coaches here.

AND Christian Wilkins is NOT the pink power ranger.

Dec 12, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

Not sure we have a real Tiger fan here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 9:28 AM

Our interest probably increased when Webb committed to UGA.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:41 AM

I know this fellow here and his family. Class A people. Wish him nothing but the best. Really hope he chooses our Tigers.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:43 AM

If y’all could see him on the sidelines. Players gravitate towards him.....always encouraging his teammates. Just as awesome to watching him do that as it is watching him play. Motor never stops.

Dec 11, 2018, 10:49 AM

Love it... He very much sounds like a Clemson Man!! Dream school should win out over position every time for a wise young fella! Just look at Vic Beasley...they tried him at numerous positions before they found the best place for him to maximize his talents! Clemson specializes in doing that for young players & has been doing it for years! Clemson is where it’s at, period!!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

I know the family and the kid as well. Everything you said is true!

One Interaction with the player and dad

Dec 11, 2018, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

in an odd situation. A playoff baseball game. His dad was an upfront, nice dad and bigger than his son - so there is room to grow. Not sure, but I believe his dad played tackle for Appy State.

Cooper is an athletic first baseman.

Cooper has some fire and was actually thrown out of the game (a hollering match with the opposing pitcher) - and should not have been ejected. The umpire was much too quick on the call.

He was more concerned about hurting his team than himself.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 11, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: It's Complicated: Lineman choosing between dream position and dream school ]

He has a big decision to make. Obviously, if the coaches want him, I hope he chooses his dream school.

His school choice will be much more permanent than his position. As I recall, Vic Beasley came in as a RB or TE and makes $$ as a DE. Patrick Sapp came in as a QB and ended up as a LB in the NFL. Dexter McClean: QB to NFL DB. My point is, your position may change over the years, your school probably will not. Chase Brice chose Clemson b/c he would have come here regardless of football. He seems happy Choose wisely!

Dec 11, 2018, 2:18 PM

Same with Andy Headen in the early 80’s. Came in as a skinny QB but was such a good athlete they bulked him up and he ended up winning Super Bowls as a starting LB for the NY Giants.

CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!***

Dec 11, 2018, 2:41 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 5:11 PM

OL ain't glamorous, but a big fella with a rebuilt ACL is more likely to succeed there. Not everyone can be J.J. Watt, and NFL OL make bank too.

Dec 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

Coop is a great Kid. Dad played at Georgia Southern and won a National Championship there. He and the family are great people. Cooper exhibits all the qualities that you would find in a Clemson gentleman. Have know the kids since pee-wee football. Have seen him participate in a pretty cool FCA lesson this year. Praying that he makes the best decision for Cooper.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:28 PM

Sounds like the kind of kid we are looking for and need.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic