Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson: The more things change, the more they stay the same
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson: The more things change, the more they stay the same

Sep 6, 2018, 8:01 AM

Clemson: The more things change, the more they stay the same

A ride and walk around campus last Friday provided several of those special moments that once again allow us to catch a glimpse of why this place is so special. It also made me realize that the more things change around campus, the more they stay the same. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Good Stuff David..

Sep 6, 2018, 8:20 AM

Very Good! ThX

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice read...like a breath of fresh air

Sep 6, 2018, 8:27 AM

Thanks. Good thoughts to start the day!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice read...like a breath of fresh air

Sep 6, 2018, 10:28 AM

And we Needed a breath of fresh air!

The more things change, the more they stay the same, except:

Sep 6, 2018, 8:27 AM

-Johnstone
-Clemson House
-The quaintness of downtown (Thanks Tom Winkopp!)
-Having most town businesses be locally owned
-Affordable Clemson real estate
-Affordable Clemson tuition

Other than that, exactly the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The more things change, the more they stay the same, except:

Sep 6, 2018, 9:17 AM

You made me think about tuition in fall of 1976, which was as I recall about $1,400 per semester full load. Books were $12-$30 bucks each.

way to go

Sep 6, 2018, 9:21 AM [ in reply to The more things change, the more they stay the same, except: ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: TNET: Clemson: The more things change, the more they stay the same

Sep 6, 2018, 8:30 AM

:) :) :)

Sep 6, 2018, 8:36 AM

One of the best articles you're written. I think we all have some terrific memories of football games and fall Saturdays, but if I'm honest with myself some of my best memories are not football related at all. The smell of a thursday evening downtown, an early morning walk to my first class as a freshman or the feeling of being one of the few on campus over a clemson summer. I feel blessed to have some of these experiences.

^ your post cutig1 reminded me of..

Sep 6, 2018, 8:52 AM

my walk to classes from our prefab home (located “above” current baseball stadium entry & parking lot of athletic offices) past LJ coliseum being built, past DV, uP the hill past the Calhoun Mansion to the old history bldg.

Had 2 beat-up british cars to my disposal but loved that walk so to suck in the cool fresh air & light, watch others scramble, take in the sights of our campus. Oh, the good old days!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imagine if part of that story had been written at USuCk:

Sep 6, 2018, 8:46 AM

Allow me, if you will, to steer away from sports and the game where Georgia is gonna give us the whupass this weekend. I like to think that part of my job is to tell stories of what we see and hear, and a lot of times that gets lost in the noise of interviews and our loser coach speak.

Former USuCk quarterback Stephen Garcia and his parole officer Butch (congrats guys!) wanted some help with mugshot photos, so we drove over to campus to help out. Even as we drove in, I could tell it was one of those special evenings. Driving past a run-down industrial park, I caught that unique, sweet scent that you only find in Columbia - the smell of the sewage treatment plant over by I-77. That smell is at its best in the summer when the sewage is baking in the sun, and as we drove, I rolled the window down and started gagging.

We started in the middle of some crack houses and, as I frequently do, I ran for my own safety. I walked across the street next to a dumpster and glimpsed a couple people sharing needles, drunk students playing hide the banana in the tailgate lots and impromptu games of dice rolling for cigarettes. It's a scene that's been carried out for decades near the dead cockroach, and it was a gentle reminder that even though the views from the broken down train that people tailgate in are changing, the people aren't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Imagine if part of that story had been written at USuCk:

Sep 6, 2018, 8:07 PM

Now THAT was awesome! I had a good belly laugh with your narrative!

GWP, we need to let the Prophet know

Sep 6, 2018, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Imagine if part of that story had been written at USuCk: ]

That whenever he’s too busy doing some lousy job somewhere in the area and too busy to send out a quick prediction, you’re more than capable of backing him up while he’s on assignment. Great job! ...”drunk students playing hide the banana...”, that’s an instant classic among other great lines

^^ that was a whole new level of coot ripping funny***

Sep 6, 2018, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Imagine if part of that story had been written at USuCk: ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agrre. im exactly one year older than this time last year

Sep 6, 2018, 8:55 AM

but the Clemson girls are the same age.
https://goo.gl/images/sxKFOV

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 6, 2018, 8:56 AM

Thanks David

I’m sitting on a boat over in Mykonos and I just smelled the air in Clemson. Sweet memories!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2018, 9:03 AM

Thanks for the article David. I’ve onky been gone a few years, but you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone. It really hit me the day I packed my things up to move after graduation and as I hit 85 I realized I wouldn’t be heading back later that night, or after the weekend was over. Definitely had a lump in my throat on that drive.

With that said, my S/O and I are working hard with the intent to be able to retire around Keowee. There’s an agreement that if I die, I would like to be buried in the Clemson area. Most peaceful place on Earth as far as I’m concerned...except on Saturdays ??

Sep 6, 2018, 8:10 PM

That’s so sweet. It brought a tear to my eye. I have requested in my will that part of my ashes be sprinkled on the field of Deat Valley. Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way.

There is NO better place than Clemson!

Sep 6, 2018, 9:34 AM

My days there are some of the best days of my life, in no small part simply due to the beauty and diversity of the campus. Resting between classes at the amphitheater, frisbee golf all over campus (before there was a formal course!), checking out the botanical gardens the time I stayed on campus over Thanksgiving holiday, the beauty of the campus in all 4 seasons, even in the snow. Then there are the people - the students, the faculty, the grads and visitors that pour through. The diversity of activities on Bowman Field, the proud military history of our school, I could go on and on.

There is NO better place than Clemson.

Sep 6, 2018, 9:47 AM
IMG_E0602[1].JPG(162.6 K)

Past 4 years I have been traveling up from Florida for opening weekend to enjoy the game and the extra day the Labor Day holiday affords us. Have had the privilege of showing off Clemson to a number of friends who had never been to Death Valley and experienced our version of football Saturday. We have stayed up on Lake Keowee previously but found an AirBNB on Hartwell this year. I spent many, many hours on the lake as a student and can 2nd David's mantra in this piece that "the more things change, the more they stay the same". Sunday's weather was beautiful albeit periodically a little overcast especially after the brutal heat during the game the day before. Hitting all the old lake spots brought back a ton of nostalgia and saying that seeing Death Valley from the water again was awesome is an understatement. I recommend to anyone traveling back home to Clemson to try and schedule some lake time. Soak it in. What a time to be a Tiger.

And THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Sep 6, 2018, 6:55 PM

is why, despite a career that took us all over the southeast, Mrs. Tigerhawk and I decided to retire here in God's Country. Just the ability to take a short drive to the Esso for lunch, to the Walker Course for a game of golf, to the shops downtown for a new shirt, to drive through the campus and invoke the memories of decades ago. Not to mention the 13 minute drive to our parking spot in Lot 2 on football Saturdays... It doesn't get any better than this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 6, 2018, 8:01 PM

That was beautiful. I live in NJ and get there as much as I can, which is not enough. Looking forward to Homecoming! Nice pic - prize winner.

Sep 6, 2018, 8:55 PM

Reading this, in my minds eye I saw Buddha Rat throwing that frisbee on the Quad, in his pith helmet and cape! Some things do change, David, but they only get better.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic