Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Charlie Whitehurst unfiltered: 'Clipboard Jesus' reflects on Clemson career
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TNET: Charlie Whitehurst unfiltered: 'Clipboard Jesus' reflects on Clemson career

Jun 24, 2020, 8:01 AM

Charlie Whitehurst unfiltered: 'Clipboard Jesus' reflects on Clemson career

We reached out to Whitehurst to hear him speak on many of his memories and honestly, it’s an interview for the ages as Whitehurst leaves nothing unsaid. It’s Charlie unfiltered, and that’s the best kind of Charlie you can have. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clip deserves a rest

Jun 24, 2020, 8:27 AM

He does a great job when he's on WCCP too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: The Clip deserves a rest

Jun 24, 2020, 3:43 PM

‘Charlie the Gamecock Killer’
His Dad, David, was a great Furman QB In the late ‘70’s.

Re: The Clip deserves a rest

Jun 25, 2020, 6:12 AM

And a decent QB with Green Bay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

46 picks ? Ouch

Jun 24, 2020, 8:34 AM

Don’t remember that many

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His JR year he had 7 TDs and 17 INTs

Jun 24, 2020, 8:59 AM

We had some major WR turnover that year (Hamilton went pro and Youngblood graduated), but his 2004 season was really terrible. 50.7% completions and 5.9 yards per attempt in addition to the TD/INT ratio.

Re: TNET: Charlie Whitehurst unfiltered: 'Clipboard Jesus' reflects on Clemson career

Jun 24, 2020, 8:40 AM

Charlie was tough too. I remember screaming at the TV as Bowden left Charlie in the bowl game against Texas Tech when it was long over and Charlie was getting absolutely racked on virtually every play. I guess Tommy was too busy chewing grass to notice.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Charlie Whitehurst unfiltered: 'Clipboard Jesus' reflects on Clemson career

Jun 24, 2020, 8:58 PM

Yep that’s the one I remember most. And why I will always have the utmost respect for the dude. He stood there in the pocket looking for a receiver and never backed up or down. And time and time again. Just nailed. It was hard to watch but he stood in there and took it play after play when as you say all was lost. I did not love the Bowden years even though there were some great moments. Kind of like a slot machine - just feeds you enough to keep your ups up then ultimately zilch.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:31 PM

That was one of the worst beatings I ever saw a Clemson QB take. That and Brandon Streeter at Virginia Tech on a Thursday night up in Blacksburg. Tommy has athletic 260lb lineman that just didn’t hold up against elite competition. Before Watson and Lawrence, Whitehurst, Fuller, and Streeter were my favorites that I watched play live. Watson has a magic you just couldn’t quantify. But, Lawrence is on his own level. I’ve watched many legendary QB’s sling the football, Lawrence reminds me of Elway or Marino. No one else has that kind of power behind their throws. I’ll never forget the first time I watched Lawrence throw live as a true freshman. I knew he was going to be the best to suit up as QB at Clemson.
I digress, Whitehurst was one of those guys that 3rd and 18 didn’t scare me. That’s what we have in Lawrence, had with Watson and Streeter. The ability to overcome any down and distance if they have a split second to work. I always pulled for Charlie. I felt pride swing him hold the clipboard for so many years. Heck, any young man would take that job!! I’m just glad he decided to be a Tiger! Great memories.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Charlie Whitehurst unfiltered: 'Clipboard Jesus' reflects on Clemson career ]

I remember that clearly. Charlie took a serious beating. I felt for him and embarrassed for our team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2020, 8:45 AM

:)

Jun 24, 2020, 8:56 AM

I never heard much about Whitehurst's ties to Clemson after he left. I didn't know if he moved on and forgot about Little Ole Clemson or not. Glad to hear he is still 'All In'. He played a big part in helping this program change into what it is today.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:16 AM

I loved watching him play!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back after the UNC game last year somebody posted a link on

Jun 24, 2020, 10:03 AM

TigerNet to a radio show that did about an hour long interview with Charlie. He was great on that show - maybe someone can re-link it if they know where it is...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back after the UNC game last year somebody posted a link on

Jun 24, 2020, 10:25 AM

I think we all really liked Charlie. He gave it all he had every game. I wonder if he would even make the team today! Not certain he would fit into Dabos system. Charlie had some success in the NFL and yet guys like Boyd never got to play a snap. Football is a crazy game and you have to be in the right place at the right time. Thanks for that interview-

Jun 24, 2020, 10:28 AM

Charlie had the dream backup position in the NFL. Hopefully he put back some of those millions to go along with that NFL retirement check. If he would have got a chance to start right away in the NFL I believe he would have been a good starting QB in the NFL.

Trevor would have looked bad his junior year, he had no weapons to utilize. I loved watching him play because you always had a chance no matter who you played.

My favorite game is the FSU game but 63-17 was my second favorite game he played.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 24, 2020, 10:59 AM

Glad to hear his administration for James Davis, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for him. I'd love to see another article on Charlie and I assume from this article that he's no longer with his old girlfriend, Jewel. It's been fun seeing him on the sidelines more in recent years.

Jun 25, 2020, 6:33 AM

Dang autocorrect! His *Admiration* for James Davis!

If Charlie Whitehurst isn't one of your personal heroes...

Jun 24, 2020, 11:43 AM

you're doing it wrong.

Everyone should be a lucky as this dude.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um....how on earth has it been so long?

Jun 24, 2020, 11:50 AM

Time flies!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what an incredible read. Now I have to go back and look at

Jun 24, 2020, 1:09 PM

Those instances he was referring too. Those were crazy times and remember watching all of them. Would love to sit down with him and split a 12 pack. What a trip.

The Original Coot Killa

Jun 24, 2020, 7:25 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Charlie ever get married? Any family?

Jun 24, 2020, 7:38 PM

he mainly speaks of hanging out w/ friends. Good to read he is doing well and is happy.

David, why no audio? Would rather listen...

Jun 24, 2020, 9:14 PM

...to the interview than read it. But thanks for doing it and posting it for us.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jun 24, 2020, 9:41 PM

He is missing out on the true Jesus.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:41 PM

He is missing out on the true Jesus.

Jun 24, 2020, 10:59 PM

He’s a good dude and still very loyal to the program.

The Coot Killer. Legend in my book.

Sorry. The subject line must have disappeared when I attached the pic

Jun 24, 2020, 11:03 PM

But that’s him in the Superdome at the natty. He was sitting right behind us.

Jun 25, 2020, 2:00 PM

He may be one of those folks that remember when they were BORN!!! You go Charlie...

Must not be dating Jewel anymore

Jun 25, 2020, 2:46 PM

Re: Must not be dating Jewel anymore

Jun 25, 2020, 3:16 PM

She'll never be fit for a normal man....

probably not..***

Jun 25, 2020, 3:23 PM

Jun 27, 2020, 9:46 AM

Larry Williams interview Charlie on the Clemson Dubcast not too long ago. This is a great podcast if you haven't subscribed, I would highly recommend it.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic