Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Analysis: Tigers offer top in-state forward
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: Analysis: Tigers offer top in-state forward

Feb 19, 2020, 1:21 PM

Analysis: Tigers offer top in-state forward

One of the state’s top basketball prospects for the 2021 recruiting cycle visited Clemson for the win over Louisville last weekend and received an offer from head coach Brownell. (Photo courtesy of @phenom_hoops)
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Analysis: Tigers offer top in-state forward

Feb 19, 2020, 1:31 PM

If Brad told this young man what a great school Clemson is, and how happy he would be at Clemson and offer him, that is about all he can do as the HC besides staying in touch with him constantly!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 1:34 PM

make his sales pitch and hope it's bought.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of Donte Grantham***

Feb 19, 2020, 2:11 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Reminds me of Grant Hill***********

Feb 19, 2020, 2:16 PM

Except Grant Hill couldn't shoot worth a lick

Feb 19, 2020, 2:52 PM

until his latter years as a professional.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I was TDed by a Grant Hill fan.

Feb 19, 2020, 4:00 PM

His career 31% three point shooting speaks for itself though. His first 12 seasons in the league he shot below 25% on threes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Woooww.... that statement was so opposite of

Feb 19, 2020, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Except Grant Hill couldn't shoot worth a lick ]

recollection of Grant Hill as a player, that I had to find his numbers... they don't bear out that he "couldn't shoot a lick"...

even at Duke, he was nearly a 50% shooter as a wing player. His game wasn't limited to being from 10ft to the basket, but he was truly a midrange player with the ability to create off the dribble to get to the basket. Hill was a much better jump shooter than most players today, even though he was as athletic as a Jordan, Pippen or Drexler. He was only a decent 3pt shooter, but he was not just a dribble drive guy but one of the most versatile players ever...

c'mon Judge, is it the Duke affiliation that skews that view?

Are we talking about the same Grant Hill?

Feb 19, 2020, 4:48 PM

He shot 37% from three at Duke, which certainly isn't bad. It's interesting to look at his development during college as an outside shooter. He didn't shoot many threes his first few years at Duke, going 5 for 17 (.294). As a senior, he took 100 threes and made 39 of them (.390).

I agree that he was a good mid-range shooter though.

My recollection of his poor outside shooting is as an NBA player. During his first six years in the NBA with the Pistons, when he was at his best as a player, he shot just .256 on three pointers. In the following six years when he was with the Magic, he shot even worse (.225). It wasn't until the latter part of his career with the Suns that he became a weapon from beyond the arc. During those five seasons, he shot .354.

I actually really like Grant Hill as a player and a person. I don't have the hatred for Duke that many here do. Coach K is the best in the business if you ask me.

You focused on 3pt shooting to say he couldn't shoot

Feb 25, 2020, 12:41 AM

Shooting 3ptrs is not an indication of how well you shoot, it only means that your range is limited. Take 3ptrs out and his overall percentage would probably be over 50% for his career. 3pt shooting is great when you hit them but detrimental when you miss them and Grant was a much better player than to rely on 3's

He still made 39% of his 3s his senior year at Duke.

Feb 19, 2020, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Woooww.... that statement was so opposite of ]

He wasn't the best shooter coming out of college but he was definitely better than "couldn't shoot a lick." He basically scored at will his junior and senior year, especially in the tournaments. What I remember most about him in college was his defense and shutting down Glenn Robinson in the NCAA Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Except Grant Hill couldn't shoot worth a lick

Feb 19, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Except Grant Hill couldn't shoot worth a lick ]

His FG shooting percentage was 53% over his entire career at duke. If he was so bad behind the arc like you say he was money inside the arc. Also 70% free throws while at Duke.

Feb 19, 2020, 2:30 PM

Looks like he would be a great pick up.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 3:00 PM

I hope we get him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 3:29 PM

We don’t get much basketball recruiting news so thank you. Terrence Oglesby has a very good write up at the 3nd of the article. I hope we can see more of that and urge you basketball fans to follow Oglesby as he giv es some great insight into Clemson basketball.

Feb 19, 2020, 3:37 PM

This kid looks like exciting prospect.

Recruiting is one of those areas that's either win or lose: second out of 20 interested schools is no better than 20th. Let's hope Coach B is able to continue the momentum.

Feb 19, 2020, 4:00 PM

So who is #1 for the kid if Clemson is #2.

Who are the top 3 kids in S.C.? Has Clemson gotten the top 3 from the State at any time in the last 10 years?

Will Clemson recruit the small forward at Dorman, the kid can play. Every time I see a replay of Dorman he's doing a lot of the scoring.

Why did Clemson not go after the PG at Dorman along with Hall. He's going to Butler and Butler would not have offer him if he can't play.

Answers to your questions.

Feb 19, 2020, 4:20 PM

1. The article didn't say we are #2. It says we are in the top two, with Xavier. Direct quote in the article from Edwards's coach, regarding Clemson: "They are in the top two with Xavier."

2. I'm not sure which year you are referring to, but the top 3 in SC this year (2020 class) are P.J. Hall, Myles Tate, and Patrick Iriel. Link:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=SC

We signed Hall, who is a high 4 star and top 40 prospect nationally. Tate is going to Butler, as you mentioned. Iriel signed with the Gamecocks, and I don't believe we offered him.

The top 3 in SC for the 2021 class according to 247Sports are Bryce McGowens, John Butler, and Korey Richardson. Link:

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=SC

McGowens has verbally committed to FSU. We offered him, and so did Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Pitt, South Carolina, Maryland, LSU, and a bunch of others. We have also offered Butler, who has offers from a lot of other schools as well. We have also offered Richardson.

3. I don't recall Clemson signing all three of the top players in South Carolina within a given year.

4. I'm not sure who the small forward at Dorman is. Do you know his name and which recruiting class he is in?

5. I assume the Dorman PG you are referring to is Myles Tate. We recruited him and offered him a scholarship, along with South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, and about a dozen others. He ultimately chose Butler.

Your post seems to imply that we don't recognize or go after good players. Hopefully I'm reading it wrong.

Re: Answers to your questions.

Feb 19, 2020, 7:56 PM

Yes you read it wrong which is ok, it's the internet.

I was basically taking the article and asking questions from it. I took it as Clemson is #2, you're right it didn't say that but you would think with those offers now Clemson would be #1.

I think the article said something on lines if Clemson got the top 3 recruits from this State two years in a row the recruiting momentum would be readily evident. I was questing when has Clemson or BB ever got the top 3 from this State. I took it the article felt like Clemson might get them.

I had read that Clemson did not offer Tate and that is the reason he went to Butler.

The other kid from Dorman is Justin Amadi, he is just a go getter all game long. Someone Clemson could use and he can score.

Thanks for the links on those other kids. I'm going to go look them up.

I would love to see BB get one or two HS kids from the State if they are ACC kids. I'm over these transfer kids who are here for a year and gone.

Re: Answers to your questions.

Feb 25, 2020, 7:52 AM

The good news for you then is that we are "full up" on scholarships for next year, meaning we won't take any transfers this offseason, assuming we don't lose any of our current players to that route.

13 Scholarships
Nick Honor
Al-Amir Dawes
Clyde Trapp
Chase Hunter
Alex Hemenway
John Newman
Khavon Moore
Olivier-Maxence Prosper
Aamir Simms
Hunter Tyson
PJ Hall
Jonathan Baerhe
Trey Jemison

All will be eligible to play as well.

I do think that the graduate transfer route is a viable option if you must resort to it, due to late holes appearing in your roster. Often it's a choice of taking the graduate transfer or not filling the scholarship. We've had guys play fairly important roles as graduate transfers for us (Mark Donnal, Tevin Mack, Javan White, Curran Scott). Ideally, you don't have to go this route, but some of the most successful programs out there use this, because it's so plentiful in today's world of college athletics (700+ transfers per year).

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic