Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TL;DR, if you do don't complain cause you've been warned.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

TL;DR, if you do don't complain cause you've been warned.

Feb 22, 2019, 8:06 AM

In 2000 I had three bypasses done at G'vile Memorial. It was my second open heart and the damage dropped my heart below normal function. It left me with two arteries blocked and a significant portion of worthless muscle. You're probably noticed that my reports on the project car I'm restoring have become few and far between. I've been sick.

Tuesday evening I was near not being able to walk. My chest hurt from shoulder to shoulder with the pain originating in the center. I ate a couple big aspirin and tried to sit through it remembering that the doctors had told me in 2000 after the last surgery that they couldn't open my chest again without killing me.

Somewhere late evening or early morning I asked my son to take me to the hospital. It's a little blurry since then. I was immediately taken to a bed in the ER and within an hour told that I was being admitted. A cardiologist from the Carolina Cardiology group came by early and talked with me about several issues from my previous visit there. They asked a lot of questions about my long history of heart disease and the assistant researched the information online while we talked. They listed the information on every event from the last two decades with focus on the testing and evaluations that were made during that time.

Within an hour they had every record from all three different heart groups that had tested me including the cath lab reports. Due some confusion (obstinate old men do this sometimes) I'd not scheduled one as directed by Dr George a couple months ago. They scheduled one for around 2 PM Wed.

I spoke to my children about several things which people fact when they reach the end of life. My two sons didn't want to look there but their elder sister said she wasn't leaving the hospital because she wanted to be the first to know if I died so she could be the first to get to my house and 'get all my good stuff.' My laugh took me near to death.

So the plan was to do the cath, make an evaluation and do what they 'could with stints to try and keep the old buzzard kicking.' None of us expected a lot but I don't actually believe any of us gave up the first bit of hope. I had been moved from ER to the 3rd floor sometimes early Wed morning and from there to another room close to the cath lab around 10am on the same floor.

Time seemed to move slowly but when you think death is lurking just beyond the next door that's not something that bothers you. So they put me on the slab in the lab which I'd experienced couple times and then they went to work. Details upon request.

I described the ins and outs of having wires push a variety of things through the femoral artery into the heart as having Transformers changing from cars/trucks to monster machines of destruction in your chest. It turned out they were poking around my heart for a couple hours. The kids said four hours from entering the lab until they brought me out.

Dr Patel came to my room and talked to the family while standing over my bed. Since my being had been introduced to a couple milligrams of medical fentanyl (not the salts on the street that's killing people) I wasn't quite comprehending the full scope of the work done and didn't catch the results. I kinda got stuck on the part where he said I two of my last bypasses were 100% blocked and the last remaining open artery was 85% blocked.

I was confused by remembering the warnings that the Dr who did the last cath a few years back gave me. 'One artery was 100% blocked and there was no way to fix it. The blockage was old, hard packed and couldn't be opened. All I knew what that my chest wasn't hurting and the only confusion was why I felt like I could work 12 hrs then pisz over a 10' pole. Drugs huh?

So last yesterday after noon I was home. My son picked me up and we talked for a while about the previous couple days, the past few years and the last three or four months that I sat without doing much and the repercussions on the mind and body from being so sick. I was kinda proud that I hadn't complained about being so messed up and my attitude had been fairly mild considering the circumstances. Having nearly no blood supply to the heart takes it's toll. I'm not going to show my ignorance now by giving an estimate of what percentage loss of oxygen my heart was suffering. I'll leave that to those with better imaginations.

I struggled to comprehend what my boy was telling me. It came in waves, was more than a normal person could comprehend after the dope had worn off completely and the caution of being so restricted for so long was fighting with the truth with all it was worth to survive.

My heart function is normal. I hadn't heart that since 1982 just after my first by-pass surgery. While one portion of the muscle was lost in 2000 by the massive heart attack I suffered, my hear function was normal. I had two arteries blocked which had been blocked since before the 2000 surgery but one of them had fed the muscle which was lost and the other was in an area which was too damaged to deal with.

Somehow Dr Patel had done what I believed was impossible. He had opened two blockages which were 100% blocked and opened the one 85% blocked. Maybe medicine has changed that much in these few years since my last cath or maybe the doctor who did that last cath was a quack or just didn't think I was worth the effort. Maybe this Patel guy has the inside scoop with God or perhaps he's a time traveler from the far future who brought his matter transfer pen with him. I'll have to leave that to the reader to figure out.

For me, I'm thinking back to the time when my pentacostal friends tried to name it and claim it with miracle from God on my behalf. I didn't believe in magic wands or genies then and nothing has changed my mind. That doesn't mean I don't recall a promise from God when He told me the healing was going to be a process and how He put me on hold about it nearly two decades ago.

Now I'm sitting here sober and thinking sobering thoughts about whether or not I'm dreaming and if I'll wake up or how or whether or not I'll just face the reality that my life is fixing to get a lot better.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't have a puter in the hospital and could show 7spots some old school drunk posting while I was doing that medical dope. It might change his mind about wasting money on beer and the delusion that he's living the good life.

I fault none of you who don't believe this chit. I'm constantly posting stuff that normal people don't believe. It's not my fault I've live such an extraordinary life. I feel no guilt.

I'm not spell checking this or trying to act like it's a polished piece fit for publication. I'm just going to hit the post message feature and let it happen naturally like I've done everything else in life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to hear you made it through.***

Feb 22, 2019, 8:10 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TL;DR, if you do don't complain cause you've been warned.

Feb 22, 2019, 8:13 AM

Glad you're alive you eccentric SOB!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just happen to know what eccentric means.

Feb 22, 2019, 8:25 AM

I'm satisfied my photo photo should be right there within the descriptions of the connotations of the word.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great news!

Feb 22, 2019, 8:13 AM

Tell your daughter she’ll have to return that U-Haul unused.

Feb 22, 2019, 8:18 AM

Nice work fella. Nice work. Miracles can happen and you got one on your side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tmell, 88***

Feb 22, 2019, 8:23 AM

Re: Tmell, 88***

Feb 22, 2019, 8:27 AM

Yep, there was work to do inside me on about every level. Thanks for the sentiments, my friend.

Good news!***

Feb 22, 2019, 8:23 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was not TL; and I Did R,

Feb 22, 2019, 8:45 AM

Great news and T's and P's for continued recovery.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did the doc let you keep the blockage?

Feb 22, 2019, 8:58 AM

I always assumed that stuff was like bong resin, like super-potent highly concentrated bacon, and if you smoked it, you would truly understand everything worth knowing.

Anyway, glad you're still kicking. Stick around for a bit, place is better with you here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't entertain my delusion.***

Feb 22, 2019, 10:43 AM

Was TL, Did read anyways.

Feb 22, 2019, 9:17 AM

my Dad had a long history of bypasses, caths, stents, the whole boat. The last time, years ago, it didn't work out. Glad this one worked out for you, heart stuff has indeed come a long way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

glad to hear the success! Lets keep you kickin

Feb 22, 2019, 9:23 AM

for another 20 on tnet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations. Twice. First for getting the ticker

Feb 22, 2019, 9:33 AM

working well again.

Second, thanks for making my TLDNR posts seem short!!

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good on ya '88. Just like a Timex

Feb 22, 2019, 9:39 AM

"takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"

Glad to hear the good news!***

Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

glad dr patel had time to leave 7-11 long enough to do this

Feb 22, 2019, 10:06 AM

curiosity-what are your triglycerides cholesterol and a1c #'s like

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: glad dr patel had time to leave 7-11 long enough to do this

Feb 22, 2019, 11:00 AM

Over the last 20 or so years I'v had one report of a slight elevation of my sugar. It was probably due to a bowl of hightest icecream the night before the test.

Cholesterol hasn't been higher than a total of 140 mg/dl since I started taking medications but the last couple of years the good has been much less than the bad. Standards for good health have been lowered several times over the past 40 years from 150 plus your age to lower than many can do without chemical assistance.

At last count it was somewhere around 140 but I kept it below 125 for nearly a decade and most of the last 20 or so years. My first test was just before my first surgery in 1982 which indicated my total number at 425. After the surgery, without medication and after a month long diet of rabbit food I got it down to 325 mg/dl.

Don't let the magic potions passed out by doctors fool you. Lower cholesterol levels aren't the magic cure all for this type heart disease. That's not to say that I would have survived half this long without the assistance of crestor, liptor and the other things I've had prescribed for this.

Im confused...

Feb 22, 2019, 10:16 AM

Was this your eulogy? Are you dead or not?

I'm not qualified to address your concern.***

Feb 22, 2019, 11:01 AM

Wait, so now your an even healthier and stronger old codger.

Feb 22, 2019, 10:27 AM

I’m happy to hear it.

And what is this delusion you speak of? Time to celebrate your health.
https://youtu.be/XNtTEibFvlQ

Chits bout to get real up in here!***

Feb 22, 2019, 11:02 AM

Having just received 2 brand new stents myself...

Feb 22, 2019, 11:19 AM

congrats!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought about you and what you shared with us...

Feb 22, 2019, 1:23 PM

just a short time ago. I appreciate your candor in bring this to everyone's attention. It's important that a man begins to consider being frail in such matters after the age of 40. The quicker it's uncovered the better. It also has great effect to the overall health condition for the rest of one's life.

I'm delighted you caught this soon enough to not have suffered the potential damage that would have happened had you tried to ignore it. Good on you.

Cool story bro. Glad you’re more better.***

Feb 22, 2019, 1:39 PM

Feb 22, 2019, 2:09 PM

best wishes!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2019, 6:05 PM

Prayers for you and your family

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2019, 6:56 PM

Thank you.

Feb 22, 2019, 11:18 PM

So happy for you and your family

??

Feb 23, 2019, 1:05 AM

Awesome news! Glad you’re still around, bruh.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic