Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TIPS FOR NEW ORLEANS...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TIPS FOR NEW ORLEANS...

Dec 26, 2017, 5:12 PM

I've never been and assume I85-I65-I10. Any pointers for the drive, places to stay away from, places to go for New Years Eve, etc. appreciated. TIA. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TIPS FOR NEW ORLEANS...

Dec 26, 2017, 5:36 PM

I've been there but not driven. I-10 used to be a bad speed trap. You may want to check regarding that aspect

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 5:41 PM

I always stay in the double tree which is walking distance to the french quarter, lots of speed traps around Slidell.. Drive as fast as you like on the 10 causeway heading into NO.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 5:42 PM

You want to go party on Rampart street by yourself on New Year’s Eve around 2 am.

Dec 26, 2017, 5:42 PM

You want to go party on Rampart street by yourself on New Year’s Eve around 2 am.

Pickpockets plentiful in the French Qtr this weekend***

Dec 26, 2017, 5:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pickpockets plentiful in the French Qtr this weekend***

Dec 26, 2017, 6:10 PM

Yes. Cell phones are a favorite target - will take them right out of your hand.

Re: Pickpockets plentiful in the French Qtr this weekend***

Dec 26, 2017, 9:19 PM

One tried to take my friend's watch off his wrist last time I was NO. Thing is a $15,000 watch is not one that just slides off or snatched off, for that matter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do not---under any circumstances---give the cops

Dec 26, 2017, 6:28 PM

a hard time or try to be drunkenly humorous....they do a remarkable job handling the besotted masses during holidays. During those high stress times, they are very professional but very short of a sense of humour.

Don't approach their horses even if you've "been around them your whole life".

Don't get caught whizzing in public...there won't even be a discussion. It's a major no-no and you WILL go to jail

If for some reason a fight breaks out near you, move calmly but rapidly away from the vicinity. If they show up to break up an altercation, everybody's heading to the Paddy wagon

I've never had an issue with constabulary in the Big Sleazy, and I've been a regular visitor to my favorite city in the country since the late 60's....following a few simple rules may be why

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and DO NOT touch the horses.

Dec 26, 2017, 7:05 PM

worst assbeating I ever saw was a drunk who though to would be "funny" to mess with one of the police horses patrolling Bourbon Street. That poor guy was immediately turned into a grease stain by about 8 cops.

Re: Do not---under any circumstances---give the cops

Dec 26, 2017, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Do not---under any circumstances---give the cops ]

So what are some things we should do?

been awhile (pre-Katrina) so not sure the status anymore

Dec 26, 2017, 8:40 PM

but once I went to the Old US Mint (as in where they made money), located on Esplanade Street (can never forget that name). It was renovated and turned into a museum. I always thought old coins were interesting, so I enjoyed it alot. They made Confederate money and US money there.

Not sure if it survived Katrina intact or not.

Things to do

Dec 26, 2017, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Do not---under any circumstances---give the cops ]

Obviously - eat and drink. Try some places outside the quarter in the CBD or garden districts
Paddle boats are pretty cool
Cable cars are clean and give you a nice tour - esp the St Charles line
Audubon Park and City Park are very nice
WWII museum is very interesting.

Dec 26, 2017, 8:02 PM

Avoid bourbon and do yourself a favor and go to Frenchman Street to drink instead, better yet, head uptown.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 8:10 PM

This is what I'm hearing...so if I'm staying at the Hyatt by the Superdome, would that be considered uptown?

Dec 26, 2017, 10:47 PM

No. Hyatt is in the Central Business District. Uptown is about 3 miles away - up St Charles. Uptown and the French Qtr are on opposite sides of the CBD.

You’ll be fine at the Hyatt. Stay with the masses back/forth from the Hyatt to the French Qtr.

Take a cab up to Cooter Browns in the Uptown Area where’s St Charles meets the levee. Work your way back toward the CBD down St Charles by streetcar. The streetcars run up/down St Charles.

All the advice about the cops is dead-on. They are polite and efficient and DO NOT mess around. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone be given 1 chance by a cop to change a behavior ex: “lose the can” and if you don’t comply, they are incredibly deft at having you in the paddy wagon before you can even blink your eyes.

Ex: Cop- “lose the can” guy - “hold on, I’ll finish it” - boom before he knows it he’s stuffed and cuffed - and on the bus. Next stop Central Lockup Tent City

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 8:53 PM

Watch out for the pretty girls, they may not be a girl, and they'll take all ur crap. Happened to buddy while we were working down there. Found him in doorway about 5 am passed out and no money

Ah, but do they IDENTIFY as girls? That's all that matters

Dec 27, 2017, 7:49 AM

according to the gubmint. :)

Message was edited by: 76er®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 10:39 PM

My wife and I just went for the first time in September. We had a great time! We stayed at Hotel Modern right near the Superdome. The rail cars are pretty cool and cheap if you buy a day pass it cost like $3 dollars and last 24 hours. Do yourself a favor and if you have a chance walk through the Garden District, huge old million dollar houses. A lot of history there. Also, Cafe Du Monde is really crowded and doesn’t have the best beignets. Go to Cafe Beignet the French Quarter on Royal St. best we had there and we made frequent trips. Some restaurants that a great at Court of Two Sisters, Stanley, Mr B’s, New Orleans Steak and Seafood, The Rum House(they have $3 taco Tuesday), and Walk-ons. We also did a lunch cruise on the Mississippi River and it was really relaxing and informative. Sorry this is so long but thought you should know.

Dec 27, 2017, 12:40 AM

Eat:
Peche
Cochon Butcher
Emerils
Stanley

Drink:
Lucy's
Rusty Nail
Ernsts Cafe

Dec 27, 2017, 7:07 AM

Go to breakfast at Brennan's, check out the Bourbon House for dinner. hit a couple of music clubs, they are everywhere. I like to get off Bourbon Street and find a hole in the wall for good live music. If you have time check out the WW2 museum, it's great . If you want high end brunch, go to Commanders Palace, excellent. Definitely contribute to the street performers, they make NO what it is

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic