Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
HomeWiringNet
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 401

HomeWiringNet

Aug 15, 2014, 2:21 PM

Can I splice into an existing Cat-5 Internet line and create another outlet on the other side of the wall? Also, has anyone ever converted a Cat-5 line from a phone termination to an internet termination?

I'm building a house. Framing, HVAC, and plumbing are done. Electrician and low voltage go in next week and I need to specify locations for cable, internet, etc. they get $150 for every single low-voltage outlet we add. Trying to figure out how easy it is to put internet lines in certain places and then punch them through the wall. They are installing one free phone line which is Cat5 but they won't convert that to Internet for me but said I could do it easily afterward.

wHaT sAy YoU jOuNgE ???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First off, wire CAT-6 if you can.

Aug 15, 2014, 2:23 PM

Secondly, no, you cannot splice Ethernet wiring and have both jacks work. You will need a switch between them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Probably stuck with Cat5

Aug 15, 2014, 2:29 PM

Because NationalBuilder. The switch is the ~$10 adapter (1 in, 2+ out) that I could hide in the wall, no power required?

THere is ZERO reason to install Cat5 instead of 6

Aug 15, 2014, 2:32 PM

The cost difference is minimal, and the gain to gigabit it worth it (though you can get gigabit with Cat5e).

DOn't pay them 175 an outlet for it, and if you are gonna pay em to do it, don't pay em 175 an outlet for Cat5.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: THere is ZERO reason to install Cat5 instead of 6

Aug 15, 2014, 2:37 PM

Yes I requested to run all my own low voltage but with the national builder it's a no go. One of the downsides to saving bucks vs a more custom or local builder. But my project manager is cool and letting me sneak in some extra stuff. I don't know if I can run extra cable though. We'll see. They may already run Cat6 I don't know.

I know we "tipped" one of the wiring guys

Aug 15, 2014, 2:45 PM

Who, at that point, basically told us to run whatever low voltage we wanted on a Saturday and that he'd check it off on Monday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dead serious, order a 1000ft reel from monoprice, route

Aug 15, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Probably stuck with Cat5 ]

your own:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=8103&seq=1&format=2

Definitely use CAT-6.

Determine what your main computer room will be, preferably a central location, maybe a central closet if you've designed it.

Wire every CAT-6 outlet to that point. Do not put a switch or adapter in the wall or in an outlet, you'll want one powered master switch or even a router at the main computer room/closet. That is where your cable internet will go, with your wireless router, from there, you can use the router to go to different points, or you can use a switch (depends on how you configure your network and what you want).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be sure to order the orange wire, too.***

Aug 15, 2014, 3:28 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

I'd love to do it myself or do it different

Aug 15, 2014, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Dead serious, order a 1000ft reel from monoprice, route ]

But I'm trying to make the most of the fact that I have to let someone else do it. I can sneak in a few speaker wires etc but I need to figure out how to set it up as best I can and allow me to fix it later.

I'll have a central data cabinet in the basement where the other home runs will feed in. Then an office on the first floor where I will probably look to put my wireless router. And a few other computer stations and smart TV locations. Most of the locations will be homerun already.

I think the internet provider is going to want to put their wireless router in the basement but should I buy a powered internet switch for there and put a wireless router somewhere more central? Any experience with 2 routers or another way to extend coverage for iPads etc? It's a big house.

I'll run a chase up to the attic from the basement so I can drop something in the future if needed. And there are a few places I want to splice to the other side of a wall of possible.

Run your own Cat 6

Aug 15, 2014, 2:29 PM

The stuff is cheap to buy, and painfully easy to install jacks. If you're at the point of running them in an unframed house, run tons. And terminate them in a closet, an office, or the attic (as long as there is power).

A buddy and I wired his house while it was being built and for around 125 bucks we wired every room.

It's painfully simple.

And technically you can run connections to 2 jacks with one cable, though I wouldn't suggest it. You'll get tons of cross talk and your speed will suffer greatly. The stuff is so cheap might as well run a line everywhere you want one.

HEY GUISE, THANKS FOR THIS ADVICE 2 WEEKS AGO WHEN

Aug 15, 2014, 3:12 PM

WE WERE WIRING OUR HOUSE. #### ALL YALL. YALL AINT MONICAS NO MO.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know I just wired the entire cabin, and you know I"m

Aug 15, 2014, 3:15 PM

a tech geek...you'd think you would've asked me.

Or me, I just got done building/wiring a home as well.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 PM

And hopefully, I'll be doing another real soon!

what about CAT6a

Aug 15, 2014, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Run your own Cat 6 ]

my IT guy now specs CAT6a, not CAT6....I don't have a clue if there is a diff or not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh, for home-wiring it won't be too much of a difference.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:19 PM

Both are Gigabit rated, CAT-6 will let you run 10Gbps for ~100', CAT-6a will let you run 10Gbps for 300'. CAT-6a has better crosstalk performance mostly through different shielding.

The big reason I would recommend against it is CAT-6a is big and beefy cable compared to standard CAT-6.

It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Aug 15, 2014, 3:08 PM

Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As The Jounge's self-proclaimed anonymous internet

Aug 15, 2014, 3:24 PM

expert on wiring, I will advise that you make sure all red wires are touching each other and probably some exposed metal as well wouldn't hurt.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 cans and string is ALL you will ever need.***

Aug 15, 2014, 3:27 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Replies: 17
| visibility 401
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic