Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TCI reporting Xavier Thomas may opt out of the season.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

TCI reporting Xavier Thomas may opt out of the season.

Aug 5, 2020, 10:42 PM

Supposedly, he wasn’t at the weigh in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TCI reporting Xavier Thomas may opt out of the season.

Aug 5, 2020, 10:48 PM

Hope not, he needs a stand out season

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2020, 10:52 PM

Can't really blame anyone for opting out if they have health concerns but he better plan on playing next year if he ever hopes to get drafted. Life in the NFL is tough for UDFAs.

Aug 5, 2020, 10:55 PM

TCI is hot garbage.

But is their methane lit and burning or just stinking...?***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2020, 11:07 PM

Don’t really understand the reasoning. Could be a big money year for him. I think he may have a kid so maybe that is playing a role. Or maybe he thinks it’s the best decision for him. Either way best of luck. Next man up

Aug 5, 2020, 11:25 PM

Would not be surprised if XT opted out and tried to get drafted. IMO he never seemed to be ALL IN and 100% committed. He had his shot last year to have a break out season and for one reason or another it never happened. Good luck to the young man but at this level it’s Next MAN UP!

The reason: 3-man line. Pay attention.***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The reason: 3-man line. Pay attention.***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:38 PM

I agree to some extent but Clemson played plenty of snaps with a 4 man line as well. Only two sacks I think

people - fans - only look at stats which is wrong

Aug 5, 2020, 11:46 PM [ in reply to The reason: 3-man line. Pay attention.*** ]

Kid had at least 1 or 2 hustle plays on the back side every game. Those are the plays that solidify a defense and keep them off the field for too long. But they won't get the headlines because it's just a tackle in the stats, not a flashy sack of TFL.

Case in point was Dobbins' 1st TD run in the SFG against the Buckholes. XT had outside contain on the QB and had to wait that extra moment that allowed Dobbins to get a hole. The rest of the line got washed way left and Dobbins cut it back. XT almost got back but Dobbins was too quick. XT played his position though, played contain, and gave the rest of Defense a chance by pushing the runner back to the middle of the D. No one picked him up though.

I wonder if XT isn't going to have the bad luck of being a physical tweeter. He seems to lack the length of the great rushing ends, and it seems that Tackles with long arms can hold him at bay on straight rushes. So I don't know if he fits the mold of the classic NFL 4-3 DE.

Regardless, I love the kid, am super-glad he's at Clemson, think all-in-all he's a great player on a great D-team, and really hope we get to see him in action winning another Natty.

#give'emhellXT

He won’t be the only one.***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: He won’t be the only one.***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:15 PM

What are you hearing judge

Re: He won’t be the only one.***

Aug 6, 2020, 1:08 AM [ in reply to He won’t be the only one.*** ]

I am hearing the same, unfortunately.

We lose a few every year

Aug 6, 2020, 4:32 AM [ in reply to He won’t be the only one.*** ]

might be more this year. It just feels different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2020, 11:21 PM

For his sake i hope not. He needs all the game film he can produce. Very underachieving so far it seems. Sorry if that isn't a popular statement. Its just true. His production has been a big disappointment so far campared to the hype he had coming in. He showed flashes as a freshman but, took a step back last year it appeared. Hope this opt out isn't true.

Did you watch the games? He was playing DE in a 3-man line.

That's an entirely different role from what he was recruited for and projected as... A 4-man line is a different story.

Aug 5, 2020, 11:24 PM

He’s getting bad advice if he opts out and enters the draft. Like previous poster said he needs a monster year. His tape doesn’t exactly scream game changer. Late rounds at best without a bang up swan song

Hope he plays. I think it would benefit home to play. Best of luck to him no matter what he decides.

Aug 5, 2020, 11:29 PM

Someone earlier posted that he was at the weigh in and weighed in at 272 pounds.

Aug 5, 2020, 11:32 PM

Yup, just checked. He was there and weighed in at 276, up from last years 265.

Did you see the * by his weight...?***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:38 PM

Re: Did you see the * by his weight...?***

Aug 5, 2020, 11:50 PM

Ok. My bad.

What report are you seeing? Everything I read says...

Aug 5, 2020, 11:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TCI reporting Xavier Thomas may opt out of the season. ]

...he wasn't there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: What report are you seeing? Everything I read says...

Aug 5, 2020, 11:55 PM

It was in the Clemson sports updates. “Clemson announces big weigh in results”. He was listed but there was a footnote that said he was a no show. Sorry for the fake news stuff.

That would be a disaster for his career. He has spom

Aug 5, 2020, 11:37 PM

Proving left to do

Unfortunately, He has not been fully committed

Aug 5, 2020, 11:51 PM

I realize he was injured for part of last year, but appears to be in the “Coaches Doghouse” quite a bit. He was suspended for the 1st half of the LSU game. In the Spring, he seemed upbeat and stated he had a lot to prove. I hope he rebounds, but, his situation reminds me of the Warden’s phrase in the classic movie “Cool Hand Luke”. - - “Some Men, You Just Can’t Reach”.

It was only a matter of time before the opt our hit here. I

Aug 6, 2020, 12:47 AM

imagine there will be many more.

I know the word on XT from non-Clemson social media people is that he never has lived up to his hype, but I disagree. I think he has been an excellent player and I have always felt better with him on the field. I don't feel let down by his performance since he's been here one single bit.

I hope he plays this year. That's another bad thing is that some of our greatest recruiting classes ever, evern during these glory years, may only play not three, but two years. That is really disruptive, but I guess everyone else is going through it too.

It would be sad to not see him play...

Aug 6, 2020, 2:41 AM

But, there are many people who have real concerns about their health and the health of the people they love. I happen to be one....I am extra careful because of the people I love. Caution for me seems wise.

It does not matter if people think those fears are unfounded.

If opting out for any other reason....it is disappointing. I really hoped for a amazing year for him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2020, 3:35 AM

Can you provide the link??

Here’s a copy and paste:

Aug 6, 2020, 7:12 AM

We are reporting that one of our reporters is taking a wild guess about why a 20-year-old kid missed a meaningless ceremonial team function.

Just in case he has quit the team, we want to be the first ones to report the news.

More to come hopefully. (fingers crossed!)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2020, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: TCI reporting Xavier Thomas may opt out of the season. ]

Owner, Publisher

Default Will Xavier Thomas play this season?
Earlier this afternoon we reported that defensive end Xavier Thomas was one of the players who did participate in Clemson's annual weigh-in.

Clemson football spokesperson Ross Taylor told The Clemson Insider, when it reached out for the reasons on why the players did not participate in the weigh-ins, that we “would need to defer to Coach [Dabo] Swinney” when he meets with the media after Thursday’s first practice.

Sources told The Clemson Insider Wednesday evening that Thomas was "on the verge sitting out" the season. We were also told that Thomas is likely not the only Clemson player that will opt out this season.

We should hear the official word from head coach Dabo Swinney after Thursday's practice.
Last edited by Will Vandervort; Yesterday at 08:51 PM.

I may be in the minority here, but it opens a DE spot

Aug 6, 2020, 6:14 AM

for the rambling' road show of Korey Foreman. I know he's left on a sour note, but the dude can play.

Aug 6, 2020, 7:56 AM

Ajou Ajou also a no show. is he opting out as well?

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Aug 6, 2020, 8:09 AM

He's coming in from Canada so I wondered if that had any impact however I don't remember reading that he failed to report for camp. I think that news would have gotten out somewhere if true. Perhaps he's actually sick?

Is it possible that the guys who were not at the weigh-in

Aug 6, 2020, 8:07 AM

are quarantined? We know we have had some players exposed to COVID-19 - maybe these guys are missing due to that??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it possible that the guys who were not at the weigh-in

Aug 6, 2020, 8:23 AM

That makes sense and I doubt that the university or Dabo will comment on that. If they are actually sitting out then he probably will answer the question when asked. XT is an excellent player and I think his sacks did hurt because of the defense we played (like Beasley a few years ago in Atl). But football is a team sport and we have plenty of players that would like to take his spot, so there is no room for individuals that care more about themselves than than teammate. I am not talking about Covid concerns which may or may not be the real concern but rather an excuse.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic