Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TAMU Positives & Negatives - Somewhere in Between (TLDR)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,524

TAMU Positives & Negatives - Somewhere in Between (TLDR)

Sep 10, 2018, 3:09 PM

I posted my initial thoughts of the TAMU game immediately after it was over, but, as with most things, I like to give myself sometime to calm down, think, and process everything before I come back around to give more detailed and rational thoughts.

So, for the TAMU game, I figured I'd give a view of the game through both a positive and negative lens; because, as with games against similar competition, there's a lot of both to walk away with. Plus, it seems that posters on this board are taking either extreme of viewing the game exclusively through a positive or negative lens. Thus, I’ll give a look from both…at least in my view.

POSITIVE :)

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

- It was the second game of the season, thus (as we’ve experience with previous Clemson teams) we tend to improve as the season progresses.
- Not only was it the second game, it was an away game against a tough, talented, and (seemingly) well-coached SEC West team, in one of the most hostile environments in the nation.
- A WIN IS A WIN! No matter how you slice it…
- Clemson is fantastic in single-digit games (14-3 since 2015)

OFFENSE:

- Big plays are back!
- Our WRs impressed again. We’re very deep and talented here.
- While you can debate whether the two-QB system effected either QB’s rhythm, we still passed for almost 300 yds on a solid defensive back-field.
- While not as efficient as you’d like, the offense made the necessary plays to win the game.
- With it being the second game of the season and the game taking place in a hostile environment, it is natural that the play-calling was conservative at times. As our offense gains it’s footing and certain players garner more trust, watch out!

DEFFENSE/SPECIAL TEAMS:

- Our DL played well and pressured Mond all night. Despite the Refs missing MANY holding calls, we still had 10 tkls for loss, 4 sacks, and held TAMU to 32 yds rushing.
- While our secondary struggled overall and consistently lacked eye discipline, there were numerous “lucky plays” where our DBs either slipped, dropped an interception, tipped the ball into a TAMU player’s hands, or were in position and Mond just threw a PERFECT ball.
- While Jimbo knew exactly the type of offense and defense we would be running, our coaching staff had more unknowns with Jimbo running a new system and Mond being a question mark overall. Thus, Jimbo and Mond "shocked us" with their game plan, formations, plays, and just amazing/lucky execution.
- A blocked field goal attempted and more touch backs on kick-offs, yay! And, TAMU’s punter competed with Mond for MVP of the game; not much you can do when a punter punts the ball over your returner's head. How do we always face amazing punters?

NEGATIVE :(

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

- This is supposedly Clemson’s greatest team, player wise, with supposedly little-to-no question marks overall. So, where’s the “greatest team ever” execution and domination?
- While Clemson has been fantastic in single-digit games recently, why is it that we can’t dominate opponents like we’re set up or supposed to?
- In crucial situations or plays where we could of taken control of the game, in what is a discouraging trend, we failed to do so.

OFFENSE:

- The middle of the OL (especially Falcinelli) struggled. This made running the ball difficult and put our QB’s (especially TLaw) under pressure all game.
- While the passing game had big-play success, the running game was completely abandoned. Can we get Etienne closer to 20 carries in a game please?
- Speaking of running the ball, the play calling was seemingly not great overall. What is our offensive identity? We’re trying to turn KB into a pocket passer and TLaw into a zone-read QB. We keep throwing terrible screen passes with poor blocking on the edge. We don’t try to exploit the middle of the field at all. We don’t use our TEs in the passing game. We run predictable plays in crucial situations. We weren’t efficient and had multiple three-and-outs. And, worst of all, we “turtled up” in the fourth quarter and asked our already gassed defense to stay on the field. We need to figure things out!

DEFFENSE/SPECIAL TEAMS:

- While the DL played well overall, their over aggressiveness led to successful screens and RB flare passes.
- While Simmons made some great plays and gave high effort, he was out of position multiple times and gave up many big plays. DOD will be missed…
- This was Kendal Joseph and Tre Lamar’s worst game as a pair. Both looked slow and were out of position on some plays. Was it me or did it seem like the LBs weren’t really in the game at all?
- Outside of Trayvon (and Wallace’s occasional big plays), the secondary played very poorly. The lack of discipline, bad eyes, losing receivers and TEs, and inconsistency were concerning. Not to mention the lack of depth. Hopefully these things are correctable.
- That last punt by Spiers was atrocious. Punting is the only thing holding our Special Teams back from being one of the nation’s best.

Ultimately, as most people would admit, there’s truth to both the positive and negative views of the TAMU game; and, ultimately, that’s where I land: somewhere in the middle. I’m not freaking out like some are, nor am I ignoring the flaws. I’m just trying to remain objective and see things for how they are on the surface.

Now, if you were to ask me if I’m worried or if my outlook on the season has changed, I would tell you “no, not at all.” Nor has my trust in this team or our coaching staff changed in anyway. This game reminds me a lot of the Auburn game last year (and that game was at home), it wasn’t pretty and there were a lot of negatives to draw from the game, but we won; and won against what ended up being a top 10 team (and, by the look of it, TAMU may end up being a top 10 team too). So, all is well!

This game was a great learning experience and I believe our coaching staff will have this team ready. Not to mention, as it stands, we currently don’t have another game on our schedule that looks to be as difficult as the game against TAMU. Thus, we will have time on our side to fix things player-wise, schematically, or play-calling wise.

Keep your chin up Tiger Nation, things will be okay…and this is coming from a pessimist.

Go Tigers and God Bless,

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A agree that we failed to use the TEs or exploit the middle

Sep 10, 2018, 3:20 PM

of the field. Would also like to see a run to the outside to use Eteinne and Feaster's speed.

On the defense it seemed that Venables was struggling as well with lack of speed with Lamar and Muse. Played Johnson and Turner a lot at safety, either trying to spell them or find a quicker player.

Overall the guys fought and played hard, and on lots of occasions you saw the effort out there like the Wallace tackle after he was blocked (although they scored later) and the strip-touchback.

We came away with a great road win in rough conditions and my group had a great trip. Would definitely go back and look forward to seeing them in DV next year!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TAMU Positives & Negatives - Somewhere in Between (TLDR)

Sep 10, 2018, 4:12 PM

Offense: Cade Stewart blocks air on 90% of the plays he's in. He spent his time Saturday night jogging around waving his arms at people. Not sure why he split time with Pollard.

If we can get better RG play it will help Falcinelli out tremendously.

I'm not a fan of the play calling while Trevor was in. There is no sense in running 5 man patterns. 1) He's a freshman and he's not going to go through 4 progressions to find the 5th option and 2) no chance in he!! he's going to have enough time. Max protect and give him some time. With his arm strength he can fit it into tight windows if he has time. Also, zone read should be a change up pace while he's in - not a go to play.

Defense: Dline dominated most of the game. Mond was running for his life. Ended up having a few blown overages and then Mond just straight up made some plays. Not mad at it.

Message was edited by: TigersBall®

Sep 10, 2018, 4:38 PM

Great post, I could not have said it any better. I agree with just about everything you said.

The only thing I don't agree with is our projected ceiling vs. our likely ceiling. Like you, before the season started I thought this was Clemson's National CHampionship to lose.

After the A&M game I'm not sure this team can win a National Championship. The OL, and the secondary changed it for me.

Our secondary is mostly young, inexpereinced, thin, but talented. They will get better as the season progresses, but the pass coverage was the worst I've seen in years.

OL, we have seen this before and we are who we are. The OL continues to the weak-link. We have mostly upper-class Jr's. Sr's, and 5th year grad students starting on the OL. They've all been starters, started a bunch of games in the past, and/or played ton as backups at Clemson. They may improve a little as the seaason prgresses, but at this point in their careers they are who they are. Our OL is hot-garbage and we still can't run the ball against a decent defense. IMOP, this will not change much as the season progresses.

I think CLemson has a good chance to win the ACC, but it's not the guarantee as it was a few weeks ago. We can still make the playoffs. CLemson typically gets a LOT better as the season prgresses, so I'm still optomisitic. But, I'm pretty certain that Clemson's OL will hold us back from winning a NC, and maybe even a playoff game. Our OL looks just as bad as last year's.

Before the 2018 season started I thought the ceiling for this team was 15-0 and National Champs., 13-2 was worst case. Today, I feel like 13-2 is the ceiling. I think we might get blown out in the playoffs, if we make it that far.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 5:23 PM

I appreciate your thoughtful response and your brutal honesty. I'm glad you feel like you can say that, especially on a board like this!

I don't necessarily disagree with anything that you said. Our OL isn't the strength we thought it would be (so far) given all that we brought back and it's experience level/leadership. You're right, OL has always been our weakness and something that definitely needs to change (and it starts with recruiting).

Well, given we can't bring in new OL recruits or OL transfers in the middle of the season, we're stuck with the OL we have. So, that's the bad news. But, the good news is that it's still early in the season, so you don't have to jump of the ledge just yet!

With new starters, position changes, and new back-ups (not to mention Cade Stewart got his first start over Pollard at RG), one can expect the OL play early in the season will be inconsistent; especially for a team like Clemson.

Over the season, we can hope that the OL play will improve with more continuity and consistency as they continue to play together. Also, given the competition we'll face throughout the rest of the season, our OL won't be challenged as much as the were at TAMU; so they'll have time to iron out their weaknesses and deficiencies over the rest of the regular season. Thus, by the post season (assuming we're still in the playoff picture), hopefully our OL won't be the weakness that it is now.

The last thing I'll say in regards to our OL is also the fact that our offensive system (being a spread/RPO offense) can mitigate the issues of a weak OL (just like a triple option offensive system can do the same). All the things I've mentioned give me hope that our OL won't screw our season as you've said.

I understand your reservations, as I certainly have mine, but I'm trying not to overreact or declare our season over after the 2nd game of the season, against a great opponent, away from home, and given our propensity to have a bad game a couple times a year.

So, don't count out the Tigers just yet!

Sep 11, 2018, 9:01 AM

It's hard to argue with what you said, so I won't bother.

It's just baffling that the OL is always a weak link, since the early the late 90's really. For anybody else who's paying attention, if you don't think coaching has something to do with it I give them exhibit a) FSU. Their OL is filled with 4* recruits and they're laughably bad. Two words, Rick Trickett.

The scenario I don't want to see is the one where we coast the an ACC Championship because out talent everybody and our OL never gets truly tested by an elite DL. BC may give us a run for our money though. Then we win the ACC, make the playoffs, and our OL is the reason we completely exposed in another playoff game, again. Right now our OL would get eaten up by and elite DL. A&M has a pretty good DL, they may not be elite, but they look like a legit top 15 DL to me. Our OL isn't even Top 30, not even close.

Auburn in 2016, Louisville, etc...those were also games that come to mind where I questioned how good we could be. The 2016 OL turned out to be "solid". In 2018 I think it's still possible they end up being "solid", but it's ceiling, and I have my doubts.

If we fail to live up to expectations because of the OL this season, I predict Dabo will address it in the offseason. You can tell he expects greatness out of the OL, and he's gone on the record as saying they should be a stength of this year's team. He didn't make that statement public by accident.

Go Tigers!

Sep 11, 2018, 9:03 AM

"....since the late 90's really".

Typo's...everywhere...not enough time to spell check!

i'm lifelong tiger, but mond deserves national pubs

Sep 10, 2018, 6:01 PM

for that second half..it was an amazing performance from a young man who simply "refused to lose"..my hat's off to him and his teammates and fans..it was a classic that we won!.'tsall good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Good post

Sep 11, 2018, 10:03 AM

I like how you pumped and dumped all in the same post thus evening things out in your evaluation :)

Now that it's been a few days the couple of things that make me feel better about that game are that a lot of the issues on D are correctable. Also, I felt like Mond and his WRs were having one of those special nights, and we were still able to escape with the W.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,524
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic