Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swoffie saves the ACC at expense of football schools
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 725

Swoffie saves the ACC at expense of football schools

Sep 13, 2012, 9:05 AM

In the conference upheaval of the last 2 years, Swofford now looks like a reactionary. As some conferences made strategic moves to increase their football footprint and the conference TV money, Swoffie's strategy was to add Pittsburgh and Syracuse? We know those two schools brought nothing to the conference football-wise, but I guess it made Swofford look like he was at least doing something.

So now the ACC is at 14 teams and Swoffie just got a $50 million exit fee passed. How the heck does he get a $50 million exit fee passed when some football schools have been rumored to possibly be contemplating a conference move? Well, I'm sure the carrot of Notre Dame eventually becoming a full member had something to do with it.

Sure, the addition of ND sounds good and looks good on the surface. That game will certainly look good on a lot of future football schedules, but we know that in the end it's all about money. So the positive spin becomes, well Notre Dame will likely become a full member in a few years and bring their TV money with them. Well, according to a recent article on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/1576/nbc-likely-to-hold-on-to-notre-dame), Notre Dame's current contract with NBC only pays $15 million a year.

This is how the math looks to me:
Current ACC payout per school is around $20 million for the 12 schools. I would assume the payout per member will go down at 14 schools, but for the sake of this discussion let's say the 14 members will still get $20 million each. Now we add Notre Dame and let's say in 4 years they become a full member and let's say Notre Dame's contract with NBC will be worth $20 million a season then. So Notre Dame brings their $20 million into the conference which has a net zero effect on member payouts, but now there are 15 teams and a 16th must be added. Well, since there are no more "Notre Dame's" to add to the conference that 16th school will have a negative impact on the payout to each member.

I really think the basketball schools are primarily concerned about preserving the conference - that is their top priority; while the football schools are mostly concerned about increasing revenue to they can compete on a national level. Well, I don't see how revenue is going up anytime soon. Swoffie has saved the ACC as a brand but the football schools still don't get the monetary bump that one would hope by adding Notre Dame.

The ACC's future is a 16 team conference. No other conference is splitting their money 16 ways. The ACC will have to have the nation's largest TV contract just for members to stay even with the other conferences on a per school payout basis. That's not likely to happen in a basketball first conference, and now the football schools are stuck with a $50 million exit fee.

Someone tell me what I am missing here, because right now all I can see is that the ACC has secured it's future existence but it has been done at the expense of the football schools.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

completely agree with you***

Sep 13, 2012, 9:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swoffie - if he could land KY that would be a coup

Sep 13, 2012, 9:12 AM

since it is a basketball strong ACC league see if you can pry them away from the SEC. Even Louisville would help TV footprint and sports wise

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swoffie - if he could land KY that would be a coup

Sep 13, 2012, 9:14 AM

KY was my first choice considering BB but there is no way they abandon the SEC dollars cause that's what they use to play their basketball players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"play"= pay***

Sep 13, 2012, 9:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC presidents and AD's would never vote to add....

Sep 13, 2012, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Swoffie - if he could land KY that would be a coup ]

a school like Louisville IMO primarily because the school is not a good fit academically. If Louisville was added, they would rank dead last among all ACC schools by a distant margin. While I do not necessarily agree with the concept of comingling athletics and academics when it comes to conference expansion (the two are mutually exclusive), this remains a critically important element for the Presidents and AD's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Swoffie saves the ACC at expense of football schools

Sep 13, 2012, 9:26 AM

Not disagreeing with you as I think too think the deal should have envolved Full Membership. However, I believe this is a three legged stool. First leg is ACC, second leg is ND and the third leg is for now NBC.
All legs are greedy for TV revenue and market footprint. I believe the backroom is being filled with smoke as we speak.
I know of no other school in the country that has and can support single handedly a stand alone $15 million dollar TV contract. Can you?
For now at least, 5 ACC schools will get a piece of the action every year.
Let's see how it plays out!

I agree... Dook and UNC need the ACC to remain

Sep 13, 2012, 9:39 AM

a "basketball" conference. Can you imagind Dook or UNC having to deal with the Big East or the SEC in basketball? Everyone in the Big Ten was scared that Penn State would automatically win the conference each year in football. If Dook or UNC would have to play in the SEC, Big East or Big-12 they would still be in the hunt for the conference titles but gone would be the home cooking with the refs and guaranteed games in greensboro

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: Swoffie saves the ACC at expense of football schools

Sep 13, 2012, 10:06 AM

Here's what you are missing! When the NBC contract is up
ESPN will unlock the bank to get NBC out of the picture and secure Notre Dame. Don't be supprised to see the dollar number be astronomical.

Tomcat - what is "astronomical"?

Sep 13, 2012, 10:33 AM

Do you think Notre Dame is worth $40 million to ESPN? $50 million?

The point is that Swoffie has taken the ACC on a path to 16 teams of primarily basketball schools. The total ACC revenue has to be "astronomical" for the payout per school to have any real impact for the football first schools. Even if Notre Dame is worth $50 million, that additional $50 million split 16 ways is only an additional $2.5 million per school.

Replies: 9
| visibility 725
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic