Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously

Apr 26, 2019, 1:50 PM

Found a hater

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/04/26/dabo-swinneys-stance-paying-players-cant-taken-seriously-after-contract/3588590002/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously

Apr 26, 2019, 2:34 PM

Some players got paid (or will get paid) handsomely last night, and more to come.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes $6mill/yr - can be taken seriously; makes

Apr 26, 2019, 2:37 PM

$9mill/yr - can't be taken seriously. Ok, got it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Makes $6mill/yr - can be taken seriously; makes

Apr 27, 2019, 8:15 AM

Exactly. Cause he was barely getting by and considered poor only making 6mil yr. But now he’s rich at 9 mil. He can finally afford to buy his kids some shoes now. I guess he was supposed to turn down the money if they offered it?

Apr 26, 2019, 2:50 PM

If only Dabo knew what it was to be a college student without much money.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I know. he's such a spoiled brat that never had to work for

Apr 26, 2019, 2:53 PM

Anything

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He basically had the gig handed to him without deserving it.

Apr 26, 2019, 3:26 PM

So spoiled.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Apr 27, 2019, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously ]

If only Dabo knew what it was to be a college student without much money.

I'm hoping that comment was a joke and if not you know nothing about Dabo's background and definitely shouldn't be on this site.

Here's one for everyone. Ok let's pay college athletes $50,000 per year. From that $50,000, deduct tuition, books, housing, food, utilities, laundry, and other life/educational costs. Playing sports in college is then like they're just working for their pay. In addition, rather than have all that taken care of them by the universities, they can pay for everything themselves and be given the opportunity to learn how to manage money and responsibility.

Who knows, they may not like it and long for the good old days!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2019, 2:51 PM

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.

That guy's opinion is as irrelevant as the USA Today is.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2019, 3:23 PM

I’m of the opinion that college students should receive fair compensation based on their name. This won’t be applicable for vast majority of college students but for a select few why can’t they earn comp off autographs, jersey sales, etc? Why are the schools, coaches and ncaa the only ones making millions off the athletes? Someone like a Trevor Lawrence, deshaun Watson, Johnny manziel, etc should be able to earn income based on their name. How many millions of dollars would Clemson and Nike make if they sold Trevor Lawrence Clemson jerseys?

The big question though is how that would be regulated. I don’t know if it’s possible or will ever happen.

I think it would be extremely easy to implement and regulate

Apr 26, 2019, 3:28 PM

But the NCAA would find a way to screw it up.

Snowflake Basher........Out

A few things:

Apr 26, 2019, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously ]

1) the rule is thee for a reason. If you allow players to make money off of their name, it is an instant free-for-all.
2). I though the school couldn’t make money off of a player’s name? Like, no names on the back of jerseys they sell?
3) the point here isn’t really about how we feel about it, it’s about if Dabo’s opinion is invalidated by his large salary. Of course it is not, but these morons need to write about something I guess.

null

Apr 27, 2019, 6:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously ]

That's an interesting proposal.

I still don't like the idea of college athletes that are on full-scholarships getting paid (I sense a slippery slope of unintended consequences).

One compromise might be to let players like Watson, Lawrence, Watkins, etc.... profit off their namesake, but 100% of their profits get funnelled to a trust until they are drafted, graduate, or turn 21.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 7:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously ]

they do earn comp offer their name. There were a couple of Tigers last night who will be millionares without ever playing a down, from bonuses, mostly because they got massive television exposure of them playing a game that in itself got them a free ride for four, or three, years--something which most of the draftees last night assuredly did not get for their active life of the mind.

Apr 26, 2019, 4:15 PM

I'll weigh in here...and I actually have a horse in the race.

My son is a potential D1 prospect...don't trouble asking yourself "which one" - I won't say, and he's not a Clemson prospect anyhow.

Whatever...I am not made of money. Most writers don't make much and I'm no exception. I've been an occasional businessman when opportunity presented...but that cuts both ways. My family got wiped out by a shady investor in a failed software start-up a few years back and I've had some massive medical bills since. Immediate college for my son was...assuredly not in the cards. He was thinking Marines and GI bill after high school until the recruiters started happening.

Now owing to football, he's potentially got the chance to go to college and potentially emerge from that college debt-free.

Chances like that are just not easily come by, in this world. If that transpires, and my son is able to emerge from that college with a chance at a much better life...I could care less if the University likewise profits off him, or if the coach makes $10 million a year.

There are a lot of exploitative rackets in this world, but anybody who regards college football as anything but a priceless opportunity for the players involved simply doesn't know what it means to be broke.

Just my own .02 worth...as the parent of a recruit. Others may have a differing opinion.

It’s a tough discussion. I appreciate your inputs. I think if anyone can understand it’s Dabo. He

Apr 26, 2019, 4:31 PM

Walked in with nothing and worked his but off to be where he is. A lot of the players have the opportunity to get paid if they have the abilities and are “interesting” to the nfl. I think the free market has decided he is worth 9 million and that has nothing to do with the issue of paying players. Now on that issue there is part of me who thinks there are players breaking themselves, getting injuries etc for teams and making tv stations and universities money. But I’m return they do have the opportunity for education. If you pay, I think it would have to be a relatively small amount and be equal. If you pay more to people at schools like Alabama and Michigan that have money then you are going to be left with a few dominant programs and the scales will be hugely tipped. Also you will have players getting money and some getting little and causing a lot of hostilities on the team. If there were payment, I think their should be insurance on players and then having them do some sort of 401k type program where they get paid an amount and have opportunity to be matched and get a lump sum when they move on. But I think it would break college football as we know it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney's stance on paying players can't be take seriously ]

I’ve long since agreed with your exact scenario Q. Football offers kids opportunities most would never have. The smart ones take advantage of it and brand themselves which is way more valuable than any stipend. Tajh is the best example. A great QB and person who branded himself while at Clemson. Never made a penny in the NFL but that scholarship to Clemson has him set up for life with job opportunities around the area. The smart football players know this.

Dabo has stated he's in favor of a minor league

Apr 27, 2019, 7:12 AM

for those who don't want to go to college. This article fails to mention that.

He just doesn't want college Athletics to become a free for all, which makes sense.

He's not against paying players.

Players should be Compensated

Apr 27, 2019, 7:26 AM

They risk injury. Most wont go to the NFL. Most wont last long in the NFL if they do get drafted. All of them should get a weekly salary. Spending money at least

Apr 27, 2019, 7:51 AM

I believe it’s possible for both of these statements to be true...

1) Dabo has earned every penny of his new contract

2) players should be paid

While i disagree with the article, i also disagree with Dabo’s Stance. I believe that college football and basketball for a long time have been professional sports. In football in particular, the ncaa and NFL have worked together to provide a free minor league system by requiring players spend 3 years in college before entering the draft. While this rule is working out great for Clemson, it is not fair to the elite college player.

TL16 would have been the number 1 pick in the draft this year but he has to play for us for 2 more years. Great for Clemson, but not fair to Lawrence. Why should he be required to spend 2 more years at Clemson if he can go to the NFL now? Again, before I get a bunch of thumbs down, it’s great for us. We are likely to win 1 or 2 more natty’s bc of this rule.

If college football is truly amateur, why are we paying more money for season tickets than many professional teams? The costs for fans has surpassed professional sports.

Just my 0.02

Message was edited by: casperasop1

Apr 27, 2019, 8:26 AM

The players get a free ride to college. Pretty much everything paid for rooms probably even meals. And then there off to NFL. Clemson is doing everything right don’t change a thing any college kid is lucky to be a Clemson

Apr 27, 2019, 8:47 AM

Even if they aren't off to the NFL, they have received a $100K+ education, as well as, the experience and should have no debt to begin their lives in "the real world". Thousands of college football players that won't get that NFL call each year but the ones that were on scholarship and took advantage to graduate have a leg up on thousands of people their age that never had the opportunity to even go to college.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 9:11 AM

He makes some good points that aren’t really unique to Dabo, but a general trend in the industry. Renegotiating long term contracts every 2 years for a 30-40% increase is kind of ridiculous. I get if there is a coach that is going to be poached and you need to pay up to keep him, but what is the point to having a 10 year contract that is likely to get renegotiated in 2021? The incentives for great seasons and hitting measurables is already there with the bonuses, that is the reward for what he has done, and the built in raises each year, what is the point of the large raise?

Even with the extra buyout, the 6 million isn’t much if Dabo REALLY wanted to go to Bama. Bama could easily pay that off. On the other hand Clemson would owe 93 million if they (for some insane reason) decided to fire Dabo. That is very one sided, and certainly not unique to Clemson or Dabo.

My post certainly isn’t a slam on Dabo or Clemson, but more commentary on how ridiculous the industry has become in the last 15 years. Steve Spurrier was the first coach to hit the 1 million dollar mark in 1996 and then a year later was the first to hit the 2 million dollar mark. We are now 10x that amount which far exceeds inflation. The 1 million 23 years ago is 1.6 million today, and the 2 million is 3.2 million today.

If the trend of renegotiating every other year with a 12% raise each year, Dabo’s salary in 2029 would be about 26.5 million per year.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic