Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Dabo Replace Saban?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Will Dabo Replace Saban?

Jul 7, 2013, 8:35 PM

What do you folks think about the possibility that Dabo will replace Saban at Alabama when Saban leaves there (for whatever reason)?

Dabo is doing an awesome job coaching at Clemson and he is the best recruiter around. Dabo's style would thrive at Alabama.

Alabama could pay Dabo 2-3 times the amount that he is getting at Clemson.

Do you think that Dabo is so loyal to Clemson that he would refuse an offer of much higher pay to go to Alabama?
Or do you think that he is, much like most coaches, available to the highest bidder (or, in Alabama's case, the much higher bidder)?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

probably can do a search on here. That ??? has been asked

Jul 7, 2013, 8:38 PM

at least a dozen times.

I'm sure you can get a large pool of different opinions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

IF...Dabo were to go to Bama it would be because it's his

Jul 7, 2013, 8:39 PM

alma mater and he was a Bama boy first. I still think he feels like hes built something here and thats better than taking over an established program. I don't know Dabo personally but this is my take from what I do know.

Re: Will Dabo Replace Saban?

Jul 7, 2013, 8:40 PM

If he does, I don't think anyone could be mad at him. He's from bama, went to bama, played at bama. I think he loves CU, but Alabama would be a hard job to turn down. The only down side to coaching there is that the bar is set so high. Win a national championship every year, or you catch heat. I hope he stays and retires from CU.

Jul 7, 2013, 8:51 PM

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a joke?***

Jul 7, 2013, 8:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I smell chicken !***

Jul 7, 2013, 8:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban has quit?

Jul 7, 2013, 8:58 PM

wow----you got it before bottom line....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

god willing***

IMO, that would be the only job Dabo would leave Clemson for, and I couldn't blame him. Not because they are AL, secheat, or whatever, but because that is his Alma Mater, where he bled, and his childhood dream school. Now, I suspect Clemson has filled a big hole in his heart, too. We gave him his 1st chance at greatness, and that may trump the other things. I do believe Dabo loves Clemson, and he should. There is no better place. If he continues to build this program with his philosophy, his coaches, his morals, he may see that this can't be replaced anywhere else, and I really doubt Dabo makes any decision based solely on money. He will be successful no matter where, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think he would get an offer.

Jul 7, 2013, 9:10 PM

Gonna have to win a BCS bowl and a few more ACC championships before that discussion begins.

Re: Don't think he would get an offer.

Jul 7, 2013, 9:30 PM

I think that Dabo is the logical replacement for Nick Saban at Alabama.

I think he's also a good fit for Clemson and will focus on doing his best at Clemson.

I can pretty much see any big-time winning coach east of the

Jul 7, 2013, 10:25 PM

Mississippi as the logical replacement to Saban.

Tell 'em coot***

Jul 8, 2013, 11:52 AM

Zing!!! Got 'em!

Jul 8, 2013, 6:27 PM

Took you a little while, but I'm glad to see you are still hanging around contributing nothing to the conversation.

For Bama to be interested in Dabo he will have to have

Jul 7, 2013, 9:26 PM

multiple victories over SEC schools, win the ACC multiple times, win soe big big bowl games and make it o the NC playoffs........i hope we have to worry about this

You guys have changed your mind about Dabo?***

Jul 7, 2013, 9:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so many contradictions by you haters...LOL***

Jul 7, 2013, 9:35 PM

Re: so many contradictions by you haters...LOL***

Jul 7, 2013, 9:49 PM

I can state with unequivocal certainty, that Dabo Swinney will be offered the head football coaching job at Alabama at about the same time that Jack Leggett is hired to manage the Yankees, Brownell is hired by the Lakers, and Spurrier is hired by the Packers. That is way too funny!

Tell 'em coot***

Jul 7, 2013, 9:54 PM

Re: Tell 'em coot***

Jul 7, 2013, 10:10 PM

So glad you agree with me, 80tigger!

You have issues tigerstripe.***

Jul 8, 2013, 11:58 AM

5% Probability-about what our Tigers are to win Natl Title

Jul 7, 2013, 10:13 PM

Post is getting ahead of itself a few years ... and a few Dabo accomplishments need to occur

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After a Natty or two over the next five years, I see

Jul 7, 2013, 10:37 PM

Dabo retiring from coaching while at the pinnacle of his profession and going into ministry full time, seeing it as an opportunity to touch far more lives than he can now considering how much time being a head coach demands.

With impeccable credentials and star power behind his name, he'll be a global brand name for Christ. No FBS school could match the compensation plan he would be tapped into, either literally or figuratively.

So no, he will not replace Saban. That's my take on it anyway.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After a Natty or two over the next five years, I see

Jul 8, 2013, 9:04 AM

Dabo is not the minister type. It takes more than being a good person and well liked.

Bobby Johnson seems like the ministry type. He did have a no cussing rule on his team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After a Natty or two over the next five years, I see

Jul 8, 2013, 9:25 PM [ in reply to After a Natty or two over the next five years, I see ]

And since he's been mentored by the best, he could rake in a lot more cash by being a TV preacher than he ever could coaching at Clemson. Maybe even start a church youth camp in Guyana?

Jul 7, 2013, 11:53 PM

Saban might leave for Texas after Mack Brown gets the can.

Jul 8, 2013, 9:42 AM

I don't see Saban leaving Bama for UT. Sure, they can throw money at him.....so can Bama. My guess is he will coach another 3-5 yrs and then just retire. They might go after Dabo, but he's going to have to beef up the resume considerably to get serious consideration. Win the ACC 3 or 4 times, win a couple BCS bowls and be in the MNC talk. All of that is good for us. Win-win, any way you look at it. This is all ridiculously premature...

Jul 8, 2013, 12:14 AM

I believe that Dabo will be as Clemson as Danny was/is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO way. I think Dabo is a lot smarter than that. You

Jul 8, 2013, 8:05 AM

never want to be the coach that follows a legend, because it is almost impossible to live up to their perceived memory of the fans. Even if Dabo went there and won a NC, everyone will say "well, Saban won three".

Eerily similar to Clemson

Jul 8, 2013, 10:19 AM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Bama does not want a delegator.

Jul 8, 2013, 9:02 AM

They want someone just like Saben. A coach who will coach and call all the shots. Almost like a dictator. Dabo is more like a CEO. Dabo's best quality is recruiting and Bama sells itself. You could put Friedgen at Bama and he could get 5 stars. I'd look for a chris Peterson or Gary Patterson to take over at Bama after Saben leaves.

Dabo will be at clemson till he retires or we can him for losing to Spurrier too much. And if we do have to can him, he will find it hard to find employment at anything above recruiting coordinator.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama does not want a delegator.

Jul 8, 2013, 9:28 AM

whenibleedibleedorange is correct. Dabo is a completely different coach than Saban. and last time Bama when for the alumus, it didn't work out so well (Shula). also, i do think Dabo is well respected in the YellowHammer State by fan. Finebaum destroys Dabo every chance he gets. but winning a BCS can change a lot of people's opinion.

right now, kirby smart is the leading candidate.

I think Napier will replace Saban***

Jul 8, 2013, 9:44 AM

Nay!***

Jul 8, 2013, 10:11 AM

No***

Jul 8, 2013, 10:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Not a concern. Bama wouldn't be interested in Dabo unless

Jul 8, 2013, 10:21 AM

he's won big-time at Clemson...maybe even a NC. If he's a NC winner at Clemson, we have the resources to pay him whatever he needs. He's clearly not looking for top dollar as he has pushed a portion of his current salary to his assistants.

If he's that successful at Clemson, I think he'd be nuts to go to Bama. He would be a hero to Clemson fans and he would leave that to be the potential "big let down" following a coaching legend? Unlikely. To put up with the pressures at Bama? I don't think so.

All I can say is that I hope we are successful to the point that it is a question worth asking over the next few years.

null

Re: Not a concern. Bama wouldn't be interested in Dabo unless

Jul 8, 2013, 11:34 AM

Ask that question on the BAMA boards!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swinney just finished his 4th full year of head coaching and

Jul 8, 2013, 11:47 AM

has been pretty doggone successful so far. Is he ready for Alabama today? Perhaps not, but if he continues to grow at the high rate he has, and continue finishing in the top 10 etc., then he'll most definitely get a look from his alma mater.

Wanna ask an even funnier question? Ask the Bama boards if they would want the (literally) Ol' Ball Sack to replace Saban. Now that would be funny. Heck, Spurrier can't even win a conference title let alone the MNC.

On another note, why do you even try? Whether you realize it or not, all you do is embarrass yourself.

Re: Swinney just finished his 4th full year of head coaching and

Jul 8, 2013, 12:48 PM

Bama took a run at SOS once before. They got Saban instead.
Scary to think how badly that would have turned out if SOS
took their bag-o-cash offer. Old dude can't win big games
and clearly can't best his rivals.

Re: Swinney just finished his 4th full year of head coaching and

Jul 8, 2013, 5:19 PM

I remember Bama came after SOS before Saban and he turned them down. I'm also pretty sure SOS beat Saban the last time they played each other. Why the comparison between SOS and Dabo all the time? SOS has won a Heisman Trophy and ACC Championship at Duke, many SEC Championships and a National Championship. He is also second on the all time wins list in the SEC! Dabo can not come close to that and never can.

funny i don't remember that. after the 'skins debacle

Jul 8, 2013, 6:50 PM

the 'ol sack wasn't that hot a commode-ity (yep). he went to usuc with the promise of playing at augusta national, and that is the only reason he stays, because he will never be allowed to become a member at the club.

Is there any particular reason you're using the past

Jul 8, 2013, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney just finished his 4th full year of head coaching and ]

accomplishments of a coach who's had 3 good seasons out of 8 at your school? At South Carolina, Spurrier ain't doing none of that stuff you mentioned.

And what do you mean by Dabo can never come close? At their current schools, it can be argued that Dabo has done more than Spurrier at our respective schools, and Dabo's only been a head coach for 4 years. Dabo will be winning championships for a long time after Spurrier is peeing on the golf courses as a full time habit.

"Old dude can't win big games and clearly can't best..."

Jul 8, 2013, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney just finished his 4th full year of head coaching and ]

"Old dude can't win big games and clearly can't best his rivals."

Spurrier's biggest accomplishments at South Carolina are:

1) Getting beat by 39 points in a "championship" game.

2) Being 5-3 against Clemson.

What else?

He Beat LSU....***

Jul 8, 2013, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Not a concern. Bama wouldn't be interested in Dabo unless ]

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Good input. Thank you. ******

Jul 8, 2013, 12:11 PM

null

Re: Not a concern. Bama wouldn't be interested in Dabo unless

Jul 8, 2013, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Not a concern. Bama wouldn't be interested in Dabo unless ]

Excellent point, Wookie! Why would anyone want Bama and live in the shadows of Bryant and Saban. Yes, Danny cast a pretty long shadow, but that was almost 25 years ago.

The variety of answers here speaks to the respect...

Jul 8, 2013, 4:07 PM

each of us has for Dabo.

If Dabo began his HCing career with someone believing he isn't fit to be a HC, attributing his success to stumbling into a great hire and the HUNH offense which has so impressed football fans, they are likely to take this opportunity to continue to insult Dabo by either wishing he'd leave so they'll be found correct in their original argument "He isn't fit for the Clemson head coaching job," or saying that Bama feels the same way about Dabo as they.

Others who've concluded that perhaps they underestimated Dabo's ability, not admitting anything past that but still recognizing that our football hasn't seen seasons with this much success in decades, will wonder whether or not Bama will even want Dabo.

My worst fear for our program is that Bama, like AU, will see the writing on the wall concerning the HUNH offense and seek a replacement for Saban who runs the HUNH system well. I'll admit we rolled the dice when we hired an unproven and inexperience HC. There are many to choose from who know this scheme but not all of them are Bama grads and Dabo seems to be the only one who has played on a Bama NC team.

Truthfully, who knows?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question Coot.

Jul 8, 2013, 6:31 PM

Dabo has never been about the money, and he has orange in his blood. He sacrificed part of his salary to beef up his staff. I believe he will retire from Clemson as long as we take care of him and his staff, which we are prepared to do. The question is, who will come to the armpit of South Carolina to replace Spurrier?

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

"who will come to the armpit of South Carolina to replace.."

Jul 8, 2013, 8:26 PM

"..who will come to the armpit of South Carolina to replace Spurrier?"

Haven't you heard, the chickens are an established program now ;)

Re: Good question Coot.

Jul 8, 2013, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Good question Coot. ]

And........who else really wants Dabo? NOBODY!!!!

Re: Good question Coot.

Jul 8, 2013, 9:42 PM

What I mean in the previous post is this: If Dabo is such a hot, young, energetic, up-and-comer of a coach, who has worked all kinds of miracles at Clemson, then why hasn't even one of the 200+ football playing colleges and universities tried to buy him away from Clemson? In this day of instant information, it would be public knowledge if anyone was interested. And please don't even start with that "Dabo's blood now runs orange, and he wouldn't leave for any amount of money or prestige, because he is true to his school" bulldookie. Why doesn't the rest of the nation recognize Dabo's genius like Pickens County does? Hmmmmm???

Have you been asleep the last 4 years tigerstripe?

Jul 9, 2013, 1:02 PM

Or just not all that smart? Based on your posts here, I think the latter is obvious.

BCS bowls, conference championships, finishing in the top 10 et al with an obviously growing program... who would want that?

Ever hear of "Google"? Try it sometime. One example of many:

http://voices.yahoo.com/from-hot-seat-hot-commodity-rise-clemson-10300061.html

Swinney is obviously doing a TREMENDOUS job even without considering he just finished only hos 4th season as head coach.

Bama fans would never accept

Jul 8, 2013, 8:26 PM

Dabo's offensive philoshy. I am not sure if Dabo thinks he can only compete with our type of offense or if he truly likes it being that he is an offensive guy. Don't get me wrong, I love the way we have been playing and I think Dabo has done an awesome job. I just do not think the diehards in Bama would accept his offensive philoshy.

And let's be real about something...With a halfway competent coach, Alabama can recruit itself. Dabo is earning legendary status as a recruiter because he is out recruiting the SEC with lesser funds in their own backyard.

Jul 8, 2013, 9:35 PM

No offense meant. But to the world outside of Clemson SC, most people see the resurgence of Clemson football having more to do with Chad Morris than Dabo.

Jul 10, 2013, 3:36 PM

No offense meant, but most people people outside of Cooterville see then recent success of USuC football as an annoying scab that rides the coat tails of the SEC and thinks they are as relevent as Alabama. In other words, they all laugh at you.

Dabo Swinney

Jul 8, 2013, 9:43 PM

Hired Chad Morris. After this year everyone will know how good the Brent Venabkes hire was ( also by Dabo).
Clemson is akready very good , but Dabo Swinney is making then elite.

DB23

Motor Mouth Bunghole

Jul 8, 2013, 9:46 PM

doesn't recognize anything but his reflection in a puddle... always looking down that one is.

DB23

Re: Motor Mouth Bunghole

Jul 8, 2013, 11:11 PM

sticks and stones......well, you know the rest. But you can't really answer my question, can you? If Dabo is all that, why hasn't some powerhouse, without a coach (there have been plenty in the past 2-3 years) tried to woo him away from the Tigers? I think we all know the honest answer, don't we?

You don't know that answer..........

Jul 9, 2013, 1:08 PM

You can pretend just like your multiple fake handles here, but in actuality for all you know Dabo has been contacted by numerous schools. At the impressive rate he's going, and as he continues to prove his abilities, there will be more.

A couple things are inarguable - Dabo has done as much or more in his first 4 years of than any coach you can find. Not only that, he's reached accomplishments in 4 years at Clemson that your coach hasn't achieved in 8 years at South Carolina. And he never will either.

So honestly, what are you even talking about?

Please don't bite. He is fishing for delusional statements.***

Jul 9, 2013, 12:21 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please don't bite. He is fishing for delusional statements.***

Jul 9, 2013, 7:57 PM

Nobody is after Dabo, get it? The big question is why?

Jul 10, 2013, 1:14 PM

The Bama job will not be open for a while so its hard to tell who Bama would go after. Coach Saban is not one to retire and live the rest of his life playing golf and hanging out on the lake. He is a workaholic and anyone who has worked around him will tell you that. He will be the Bama coach until his health won't allow it anymore just like Coach Bryant and when he does retire he will recommend his replacement just like Bryant and Stallings. But the Bama AD will make the best hire in the interest of the program once that time comes and if Dabo is the best available coach he will get a call.

My personal feeling from speaking with Coach Saban, Kirby Smart and other around the program is that Kirby Smart is Saban's understudy and is learning the Bama program inside and out as well as running and maintaing the program. Smart has been offered several head coaching positions such as Auburn and UNC but what I have been told by Kirby himself is that he enjoys running the defense at Bama and he and his family loves Tuscaloosa. He wants to stay in Tuscaloosa as long as he can doesn't want to move his family unless he has to. I personally am a little bit skeptical about hiring assistants to take over after head coaches (see Mike Dubose) but if Saban were to leave the program today I feel like the best man to continue running the program would be Kirby Smart.

But I do know that Dabo is a Bama boy and I would love for one to come to Bama once Saban is done and if Dabo is the best available option once Saban retires then I want Dabo.

Hope this helped. Thanks for beating LSU.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic