Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney, Saban, Meyer - arguably the 3 greatest coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,196

Swinney, Saban, Meyer - arguably the 3 greatest coaches

May 5, 2019, 3:20 AM

of a generation.

The last time Clemson played each team, 1 was shut out for the first time in his career and the other received the worst beatdown since he was a GA at Kent State.

Who is the greatest? I think it's pretty clear.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: Swinney, Saban, Meyer - arguably the 3 greatest coaches

May 5, 2019, 6:43 AM

It’s all about the hardware and Nick leads 6 to 3 to 2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 5, 2019, 7:21 AM

I’ve changed my mind on meyer. He really never built a program from scratch. He merely took programs that were already built and happened to win a championship. Really can’t put him in the same conversation as Dabo and Nick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 5, 2019, 7:40 AM

Meyer is 187-32 as a head coach at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State.

Ohio State, Utah, and Bowling Green all had losing seasons right BEFORE Meyer took over. Florida was 7-5 the year before Meyer was named head coach. Pretty much turned all the programs around immediately but you are entitled to your opinion even if it is not supportable by facts.

May 5, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney, Saban, Meyer - arguably the 3 greatest coaches ]

I’ve changed my mind on meyer. He really never built a program from scratch. He merely took programs that were already built and happened to win a championship. Really can’t put him in the same conversation as Dabo and Nick.

Apparently you are new to football but you don’t just happen to win three championships.

May 5, 2019, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney, Saban, Meyer - arguably the 3 greatest coaches ]

Meyer took over for the college football legends Ron Zook and Luke Fickell and UF and OSU respectively and just lucked into winning three championships???

Was there satire in this post which I missed?

May 5, 2019, 10:57 AM

I think it is more than all of his championships happened within a few years of another coach winning a NC at the same school. Basically both UF and 31-0SU... even the Utes had a top 10 finish. It isnt like the kids that Urban recruited didn't have childhood memories of that team winning a Natty.

UF won a Natty in 96, #2 in 95, 9+ win seasons in 12 years and never below 9 wins. Zook, while under performed, he recruited nearly all of Urban's kids. Something ridiculous like all but 1 or 2 starters were recruited by Zook. Dig around, I even this Urban noted this. Zook was a good Asst. coach, just not a good HC... but was surprisingly at recruiting.

Next, if you think that 31-0SU was Fickell's team, you are dead wrong. A "interim" coach. That Tressel resigned on the last day of May 31-0SU just tagged Fickell while they did a coaching search. Heck Utah even had a top 10 finish under McBride who what a bit of an up and down coach. Good just not consistent.

Really, Urban's best attribute is to ride a hot QB. Alex Smith (Utes) Tebow, or whatever the washed up backup happened to be for 31-0.

That being said, if I had to pick a coach: Urban or Spurrier, I would pick Spurrier 11 times out of 10.

Plus, if Urban was so good, how come he got blown out by Dabo?

That's pretty far off base

May 5, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney, Saban, Meyer - arguably the 3 greatest coaches ]

Bowling Green - Inherited a 2-9 team and immediately turned it around going 8-3 and 9-3 in his two seasons.

Utah - Took over a 5-6 team and then went 10-2 in his first season and 12-0 in his second winning a BCS bowl.

Florida - Took over a 5-7 Gators squad that had quickly declined under Ron Zook. He went 9-3 in his first season before winning national titles in his 2nd and 4th.

Ohio State - Inherited a 6-7 team that was on probation. He won his first 24 games as HC before losing to MSU and Clemson to close out 2013. He won the national title in 2014.

Honestly, I would say Meyer.

May 5, 2019, 8:11 AM

Flame away! You can call me a secret buckeye but please don’t really insult me by calling me a coot.

Meyer took multiple programs and immediately had huge impacts on them. If you look into; you’ll see the winning percentages of his before and after and it’s staggering.
He won 3 national championships and had a year where Ohio St won every game but wasn’t eligible for post season play.

Swinney is AMAZING! It took him time but he has built a winning culture here. I believe within a very short amount of time; he’ll add a third national championship to his name.

So to debate between the three is meh. They all are amazing and you could say that each one deserves to be considered among the best to ever coach the game.

Re: Honestly, I would say Meyer.

May 5, 2019, 10:48 AM

How much time did it take him really? In his fourth year he won 10 games and has never looked back. He wasn't a title contender for the next 4 years, but I think 10 wins is the measuring stick for a 'great' year. Few teams reach that in any given year -- if you did you're almost certainly a top 10 team.

This isn't as true as it used to be with expanded schedules, but my point is. Turning around a team that loses to Wake Forest into a 10-win juggernaut in 4 years didn't take him too much time at all. It's hard to recall just how fickle we were. I'm just glad we didn't play App State during that time, I think they probably would have beat us like they did Michigan in 2007 - they were 11-2 in 2006, 904 in 2007 -- not great, but certainly better than we were.

In any case - back to my main point above -- Yes I have to agree with the person who stated 6 - 3 - 2. For lifetime achievement, Nick and Urban are greater. But they are inescapably on the back side of their careers (you never know with Urban do you?) and Dabo has a great deal in front of him.

But head to head - he's gotten the better of them both so far and that carries a lot of weight in the argument.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

May 5, 2019, 10:25 AM

I agree. I think if all things were equal I would take Dabo and staff over the others. Keep in mind that Meyer went 12-0 and couldn't go bowling at tOSU due to a ban that Tressel got.

One thing that frustrates me is a lot of people keep calling Nick the GOAT when Swinney and Meyer could easily surpass him. Both are much younger, with Dabo being younger and very well established. Honestly it's not impossible for Dabo to get 2+ just while Trevor is here. That would leave him 2 decades of coaching to get 2 more nattys. IMO if you tie the all time wins of a coach at Bama while at Clemson you pulled off a greater accomplishment. Dabo is an onside kick and/or kick return away from having 3 and only being 2 behind Saban.

Meyer could land at the real USC and do the same.

Also when Saban leaves, who's gonna stop Dabo from winning them all???? He's potentially been the only thing in they way of 4 straight. Saban got his chance to win some before Dabo was established, Dabo gets the chance to do the same.

May 5, 2019, 11:39 AM

It depends on how you define 'greatest'. If it's just numbers, Dabo just needs more time to surpass both ( I believe he will). If HOW you do it counts, he's already head and shoulders above both.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,196
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic