Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swift , Taylor and Dobbins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,796

Swift , Taylor and Dobbins

Jan 3, 2020, 8:13 PM

All declared for the Draft ,I’m being selfish and hoping this makes ETN stay one more year. Even though I would have him over the other 3 on my NFL team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swift , Taylor and Dobbins

Jan 3, 2020, 8:16 PM

I'm not going to knock Taylor or Dobbins. Both are incredibly talented backs as well. Taylor being even more impressive when you know he was a one man show for 3 years. Swift I have not seen much of so cant comment on him. Still love ETN, but all are super talented.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:29 PM

Also have Hubbard, Najeh, and Cam Akers - it's a loaded rb class

Imagine if Etienne and Tee returned....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2020, 7:39 AM

This has to be one of the most loaded rb classes ever if you add ETN in there.

Jan 4, 2020, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Swift , Taylor and Dobbins ]

Along with Dillon from BC which might have the best NFL career due to his size and durability. Taylor is the real deal and as much as he is handed the rock he is obviously pretty durable.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:37 PM

EtN should go, I love the kid but too much risk at that position. Go make yours and come back to us after you do like spiller. Thank you for everything you’ve done.

When was the last Clemson RB that had a career ending

Jan 4, 2020, 7:44 AM

injury. He can get an insurance policy paid by Clemson and has more chance of getting hurt in the NFL than he does Clemson. I agree, go make your money, but it's not so cut and dry these days unless you are getting first or maybe second round bonus money. If you go too early, you don't make it. If you get better, then you have a better chance. No where else would he be able to only carry the ball 15-20 times a game and take care of his body than Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 10:13 PM

ETN should join those guys and go. He has nothing more to prove in college.

The problem for all 3 is the NFL looks at RBs like they are toasters (easily replaceable). Earliest any would be drafted is late 1st round.

Jan 3, 2020, 10:18 PM

I may be biased but I think there is a significant dropoff after Etienne and Dobbins.

Jan 4, 2020, 7:44 AM

This is how this sire rates the draft. Not that it matters. I have never even heard of Moss.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020RB.php

Jan 4, 2020, 7:57 AM

He’s coming back, confidence is very high on that.

Jan 4, 2020, 7:59 AM

Why so confident?

Jan 4, 2020, 8:03 AM

Not like I have inside info, it’s just his style. I just have a gut feeling about it.

A lot of folks seem to think Etienne should go ahead to the

Jan 4, 2020, 9:20 AM

NFL and get paid - as if he is guaranteed to be a top draft pick in this years draft. All those saying that are ignoring the depth/talent of this years running back NFL draft class and the history of NFL running back draft averages. Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Akers, and AJ Dillon have all already declared for this years draft. We will see what Chuba Hubbard decides in the near future - but this years draft class from the known backs is a very good class. And what we have not taken into consideration is the relatively unknown running backs (less publicized running backs from middle of the pack schools) that always seem to find their way into the draft competition picture as well.

Etienne is a very good running back and I would not trade him for any other running back in the country, but this thought that the NFL values Etienne over all these other backs that have already declared (particularly Dobbins, Taylor and Dillon) is our orange blooded blinders talking. This is not a good running back year to declare EARLY for the NFL draft if you are aiming to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Here are some numbers over the last 10 years that the Etienne family should be thinking about:

Number of 1st Round RB NFL draft picks since 2010: 16
Number of 2nd Round RB NFL draft picks since 2010: 27

That averages to just 1.6 running backs being selected each year in the first round and a total of 4.3 running backs being selected each year in the first two rounds of the NFL draft. These are not great individual odds if you are in a heavy competition draft class of which this years running back class is shaping up to be.

I really think there is a greater chance Etienne comes back for another year of college football to compete in the 2021 draft where he will be the premiere running back with lesser competition for an early round draft pick.

Unless his family is wondering where their next meal is coming from (all indications are that they are doing OK), Etienne should not feel the pressure to declare early for the NFL draft as there is more money to be made in the 2021 draft by showing some strategic patience.

And to those who worry about injury - I'm quite sure Clemson already has insurance on Etienne to provide him a comfortable lifestyle if something bad were to happen...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of folks seem to think Etienne should go ahead to the

Jan 4, 2020, 10:01 AM

There is no guarantee (or even likelihood) ETN would be drafted higher next year. Other great running backs will emerge. It is also unlikely his stats would improve.

His pass catching potential was on full display against Ohio State.

He should go and will go.

Re: A lot of folks seem to think Etienne should go ahead to the

Jan 4, 2020, 10:40 AM

MoCity said:

There is no guarantee (or even likelihood) ETN would be drafted higher next year. Other great running backs will emerge. It is also unlikely his stats would improve.

His pass catching potential was on full display against Ohio State.

He should go and will go.

Overall, we will have to agree to disagree. You are correct in that there are no guarantees in the NFL draft especially in a heavy competition class such as this year, but the draft odds look far more to Etienne's favor in 2021 than in 2020.

Most on this board thought CJ Spiller should have and was sure to go pro after his junior year (same comments as being posted regarding Etienne) but CJ was smart enough to play to better draft odds in 2010 than 2009 and returned for his senior year. His strategic patience and reward: getting his degree and being the premiere running back in the 2010 NFL draft (first running back taken in the first round). One could have argued that CJ's family situation was a little more "needy" than Etienne's as well.

Regardless, I will wish Etienne much success and great luck either way - but I gotta feeling he is coming back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The thing about RB is that teams don't really reach for

Jan 4, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to A lot of folks seem to think Etienne should go ahead to the ]

them if they need one. It's not like QB where even the top QB in a poor draft class will still go top ~3 just because he's the top QB and teams are desperate for them. If there's a truly elite RB prospect he might go top ~15, but if there isn't one you might not see the first RB go until the very end of the 1st or early in the 2nd round. Nobody is reaching up to #10 or #15 to grab a RB with a late 1st / early 2nd round grade just because they need one.

So while i do agree that the really deep running back class could have negative impact on where Etienne is drafted, I really don't think it's going to be the difference between him being drafted in the 1st round and the 2nd or 3rd round because i haven't heard anyone put a 1st round grade on him. It could push him from mid or late 2nd back into the 3rd round though.

Re: The thing about RB is that teams don't really reach for

Jan 4, 2020, 1:34 PM

He should go pro and start the clock for his 2nd contract ASAP.

Jan 4, 2020, 1:18 PM

not to belittle your post but sure would have been funny if you're title was Taylor Swift and Dobbins ...

what’s that about Taylor Swift?

Jan 4, 2020, 2:29 PM

??

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,796
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic