Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get

Jan 16, 2020, 10:28 PM

awarded national championships?

Besides the game results, my experience at the Mercedes Benz Superdome was disappointing. Top row (29) in Section 155 in the Clemson end zone. The deck overhang obstructed the view. I could not see the video board/replays, could not see the scoreboard, could not see the game clock or 25/40 second clock (delay of game). When teams attempted a field goal, had to bend down to see when the ball came back into view to see if it was good or not. There was a small TV attached to the underside of the second deck designed to somewhat compensate for the obstructed view, but it left a lot to be desired.

Seats were very narrow and very little legroom (especially compared to State Farm Stadium in Arizona). The man on row in front of me was 6'4" and eating his knees when he tried to set down. No cupholders like every other pro stadium I have been too.

The concourse areas were narrow and cramped -- very claustrophobic. We parked in garage 6. The good was it was connected and very close to the stadium; the bad was it was so dark, dingy, and dank that it reminded me of what a third world prisons must be like.

I hope this post does not come across as whining; really just wanted to relay my experience. I know there are better sections and seats, but when the face value of ticket is $575 a seat, a better experience should be provided. This site does not meet the standards that should exist for a stadium to be awarded such a prestigious event as the national championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get

Jan 16, 2020, 10:35 PM

We were in 156 and I agree with everything you said. Hated we couldn’t see the jumbo tron. So outdated. They are doing a half billion dollar upgrade now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 7:03 PM

Let’s see now. Since we puffed-up Clemson fans have a 1 billion dollar state of the art dome sitting over Death Valley, what else can we find to complain about?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 10:36 PM

I thought they bulldozed that dump after Katrina.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 10:55 PM

They should have but didn't. We played there in the 1981 national championship season and it's still being used for marquee events unfortunately.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 10:38 PM

Agree 100%- not only were there a huge number of trashy, foul mouthed LSU fans but the stadium is the pits- dirty, smelly,etc. I parked in deck 6 also and not only dark and dirty but poorly marked when leaving. NOT of natty caliber!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the CFP/Bowl tie-in is causing this issue...

IMO, it is a poor attempt to move into the future while trying to hold onto tradition.

More importantly, it's all driven by $$$$.

We need to get bowl tie-in out of the playoffs. I agree with your point. I think the playoff games, the semis and the final, should be bid on like all other major sporting championships.

I'm not one for expanding the playoffs primarily because it puts too much burden on the truly deserving teams to play more games. We have seen that most of the time in these playoffs, there are usually 1 or 2 teams that are head-and-shoulders above the others. This year we actually had 3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have to disagree. I’ve been to all the CFP venues we’ve been in, including this years Superdome. I think it was on par with all but Gerrydome. Easy access to food and beverage and fans were great. Not the best, but as good as Tampa, and Santa Clara in my book. No complaints

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 10:54 PM

Thanks for another point of view. It's like we were in different venues. I have been to every CFP playoff game Clemson has participated in. In my opinion, Superdome is way inferior to all the other stadiums. The Georgia Dome they tore down in Atlanta was a way better stadium than the Superdome.

I'd say Tampa was the next to last most impressive stadium, but was fine and light years ahead of the Superdome. No problem with any other of the venues.

Super cramp ...and outdated

Jan 17, 2020, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get ]

I don't know how you could think this was better than Phoenix or tampa

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 16, 2020, 10:39 PM

I was in 346. Not the same line of sight issues but agree with the seating. Narrow, inadequate legroom, no cup holders, and steps that seemed to be two feet tall to me. I’m 61 so not a spry individual and my knees just don’t work like they used to but those steps up and down were like cliffs to me. Bathrooms were small and long lines. Food choices were bad. In fact several ran out of many types of food At halftime. Just wasn’t a great experience for $575 a ticket. I’ve been to all the CFP games with Clemson and this was the worst facility. FYI the roof looks to have dozens of holes ripped through the inner metal skin too.

Miami is my favorite

Jan 16, 2020, 11:17 PM

It’s the only one I’ve been to ?????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 11:57 PM

If you’re under 6 feet plus and even then it’s horrible. They shouldn’t be allowed to sell those seats at anything close to $500 and without a disclaimer. Attached was taken standing in the isle because I couldn’t see anything from my seat. This was from the semifinal 2 years ago.

Jan 17, 2020, 12:23 AM

1. Superdome is dated and needs to go. Why doesn’t New Orleans just have an outdoor stadium? Dumb.

2. You can walk to the venue. That’s the best.

3. New Orleans is awesome.

Overall, yeah, the place isn’t great but I’ll deal with it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 12:39 AM

Because it’s on the Gulf and it rains about 270 days a year there.

Jan 17, 2020, 3:29 PM

Who cares? We're playing football there, not patty cake.

Jan 17, 2020, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get ]

I hate the city. Its a dump that smell like urine.

I keep hoping they will give Vegas a shot at the playoff games soon

Jan 17, 2020, 1:17 AM

Stadium looks really cool. I know it is far away bit flights should be less expensive than AZ.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 9:10 AM

In a way the Superdome reminds me of the old Orange Bowl. Lots of great history that you’d love to hold on to, but well past is lifetime. It needS to be redone or playoff games need to go somewhere else.

I had hoped they would have made some improvements since we were there 2 years ago.

$$$$$$

Jan 17, 2020, 10:17 AM

The venues for the championship games are selected based on bids submitted by cities, similar to the Super Bowl or NCAA Final Four.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The NC is bid.. but I thought the playoff games

Jan 17, 2020, 10:26 AM

Were on rotation..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I believe you are correct.***

Jan 17, 2020, 10:27 AM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 17, 2020, 11:55 AM

Besides getting drunk, eating gumbo and acting like a fool...the stadium is all there is in NO...like you are going to go swimming in Lake Pounceatrain or the mighty Mississippi...go do a little gambling and watch other idiots! No it's really one of the garden spots for run down hotels but I still say the food is good! Oysters grilled on the half shell at Dragos!

Jan 17, 2020, 6:04 PM

I live in NO for two years. Trust me, that city has, or at least had, as much as you could want in a city.

Jan 17, 2020, 6:58 PM

Yeah. I guess it does if you want dope, hookers, pimps, drunks, vagrants, and enjoy smelling urine.

Don't forget getting robbed. There's plenty of that there

Jan 17, 2020, 7:09 PM

too. lol

Jan 17, 2020, 12:11 PM

I posted about this earlier this week.

We had possibly the best seats that are in the Superdome which were first row of section 203. Very close to the field and on top of the action Even though they were in the end zone.Outside of that positive, I have nothing good to say about that venue. Cramped and outdated are the biggest complaints. My lasting take away from that particular day is that they ran out of concessions by the start of the third quarter! They couldn’t possibly do that during a Saints game. You would think that for that face value of the ticket, you would be able to buy at least a couple of bottles of water..

I don’t understand how that place and that city can compete with the likes of Tampa, Miami, Dallas, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Phoenix, or pretty much any other stadium in America (Outside of camping world stadium and the Boston College POS)!

Jan 17, 2020, 1:01 PM

Here's the deal with the Dome and why it gets these big events. Everything you could possibly want to do is within a 10-15 minute walk. Not an uber or lyft..... a walk. The Championship weekend festivities were held along the riverfront and you could walk right down Decatur and do all of it in a few hours then walk back to your hotel room.

As for the venue itself. I hate it for football games. There are so many bad sightlines and the concourses are terrible for the most part. After Katrina they sunk a ton of money in to it and made it better but that was going on 14 years ago now. They are starting $450 million worth of renovations this spring and the renderings posted look really nice and seem to address most of the gripes.

Jan 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

My biggest gripe is not being able to see due to the deck overhang. I don't see any way they can make that better with a renovation. It's a structural design defect that does not seem like it could be overcome easily.

Simple

Jan 17, 2020, 12:49 PM

Because everything is in walking distance to the stadium and the food/music.

Jan 17, 2020, 2:27 PM

I sat in the same 100 level seats 2 years ago and had the same experience. This time I went for 200 level and was pleased other than legroom.

Nola knows how to produce big events. They’ve got the Super Bowl and final four coming soon. Lots of hotel rooms, convention center and restaurants within walking distance. They’re about to spend $450 more on renovations but I agree it would be best to knock it down and start over.

Jan 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

Well, you boys can actually buy better tickets and stop expecting the cheapest tickets in the Dome to be 50 yard line seats.

I have never seen a bigger bunch of crybabies than SOME OF YOU Clemson fans. Sorry you came and got your ##### kicked but deal with it.

Man, you guys complain about the fans, seating, the Dome itself, or people were rude to you, etc.
Louisiana is not South Carolina with all your genteel, Sweet Tea, ########. Louisiana (particularly South Louisiana) is heavily industrialized with many Refineries, Chemical Plants, and Offshore Drilling, heavy construction, and Pipeline work.
Then there is the Cajun Culture itself which is lively to say the least. They play HARD. The people here reflect that and are not apologetic about it.

If you are unfamiliar with the Culture in Louisiana I understand the possibility of hurt feelings but 99% of the time it is just banter and most LSU fans would gladly have you join their tailgate party and drink a few with them.

I have noticed that complaints like these seem to be a lot higher after a loss than after a win.

Jan 17, 2020, 5:53 PM

None of what you said changes the fact that the security setup was atrocious, the concourses are ridiculously narrow, the restroom situation sucked, concessions ran out of pretty much everything before the 3rd qtr, the video screens sucked and they didn’t bother trying to get a decent replay shown.

The Superdome is a dump. Reminds me of how crappy the Orange Bowl was before they tore it down. Every single other pro stadium (and most college) I’ve been to is exponentially better.

The only good part is it’s walking distance to most everything. Oh, I thought the seats were ok too.

Now go away corndog.

Jan 17, 2020, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get ]

I actually support Clemson University and Clemson Athletics with annual contributions. As a member of our booster club (IPTAY), I don't select my seats. Clemson/IPTAY assigns them. I have never been in a stadium where I could not see the video board, scoreboard, game clock, 25/40 second clock, field goals, punts, etc. Had I known this I likely would have purchased different seats on the secondary market. The tickets came with no warning about obstructed views.

I have been to every CFP game Clemson has participated in. We are not a 1-year wonder; we've been in the playoffs for the last 5 years. This covers stadiums in Dallas, Arizona (3 times), Miami, Santa Clara/San Francisco, Tampa, and New Orleans (twice). The Superdome is exponentially inferior to all the other stadiums. No comparison. It has nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Thanks for reinforcing the poor LSU fan behavior we all witnessed in person.

Hmm. LSU fans still lurking. Grabbing every morsel and

Jan 17, 2020, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get ]

running back to their butt-buddies on Tigersh!t.com. Creepy indeed.

Mar 7, 2020, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Superdome ... why does this subpar stadium continue to get ]

Well you igits eat rats so there’s that......

Jan 17, 2020, 3:22 PM

The ONLY good thing about this site is the short walking distance to the hotels. 2nd time there for football. Sat in top level. Building is awful.

Jan 17, 2020, 7:05 PM

Weather maybe.

Jan 17, 2020, 7:58 PM

Weather has not been good when Clemson has been in town. Against Bama in the Sugar Bowl, it was freezing. Against LSU in National Championship it was rainy and foggy.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic