Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Suggestions of things to do for my first time to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Suggestions of things to do for my first time to Clemson

Aug 14, 2019, 12:05 PM

I am a big College Football fan. I plan to visit every worthy stadium in my life time. I moved to Georgia a few years ago from Ohio. I have attended a game at every stadium in the Big Ten and a game at Notre Dame.

I am starting Graduate school this week at Georgia Tech. I saw that they play Clemson first so what better way to start off my southern tour than starting with the National Champions. My Dad and father inlaw will also be coming down from Ohio to go with me. I just have a few questions.

1. Campus. I plan to get to the campus 3 hours before kick off to take in the sights. What are the cant miss pregame stuff (besides the obvious Tiger Walk)? Ware are the not so cant miss things to do that we should check out?

2. Tickets. My student tickets are $90 each through GT. They said they will be upper deck. I see on stubhub upper deck is going for around $35. We dont want upper deck but nor do we want to wait for scalper prices to drop and miss pregame activities. What is the best way to get tickets but not over pay to watch a beat down?

3. Tailgating. I have never been to a game in the south (besides bowl games). In the Midwest I could pretty much walk my way into a good tailgate and get nothing but welcomes even though I was wearing other teams colors. What is the best way to get into a good tailgate down here?

Thanks for the help and any other pointers that you could give me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WelCome to Death Valley #1 KEVIN..

Aug 14, 2019, 12:33 PM

And I'll let the others on here give you good advice.

But, Tiger Band cranks out Tiger Rag at top of outer hill leading down to stadium 1 hr b/4 gametime which is fun & you can peel in at the end and walk down with them.

Since you're be at top of "that" hill..go into John C Calhoun's Fort Hill Plantation home (free) just few feet away to see lots of history. He, Patrick Henry & Daniel Webster (all visitors) were 6'6" tall. Mr Calhoun, the F-I-L of Thomas Green Clemson (from Philly!) was VP & Sec of State & Treasurer of the US and probably helped start the Civil War.

Then there's the famous ESSO Club filling station bar 2 blocks on western side of stadium where Brent Mustberger likes to grab a cold beer.

OK, that's it! LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WelCome to Death Valley #1 KEVIN..

Aug 14, 2019, 1:27 PM

Thanks. Ill make sure to do all of that.
It looks like Game Day will be there also but that is usually a cluster##$@.

Do you guys do anything like Ohio State's TBDBITL skull session? At the old basketball stadium TBDBITL performs a concert. The team walks through the concert and the football coach will give a speech.

Tiger Band performs a short concert 90 minutes before

Aug 14, 2019, 1:33 PM

kick-off (so 6:30 PM concert for 8 PM Georgia Tech game).

It takes place in the amphitheatre in front of the Cooper Library reflection pond (in the middle of campus). Then you can follow the band down Fort Hill Street to the stadium.

The team does not attend and there will be no speech from Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suggestions of things to do for my first time to Clemson

Aug 14, 2019, 1:23 PM

1. If you plan to check out Tiger Walk, check out parts of campus, walk around downtown, and get to experience tailgating in Clemson then 3 hours is not enough.

Parking lots usually open very early in the morning. I haven't seen a specific time for the GT game but do yourself a favor and get there early so you can take your time. I would suggest a lunch time arrival if this is your one time to visit Clemson.

Also make sure to be in your seats ahead of time to see the Tigers run down The Hill. I will shoot for about 30-45 before the game to make sure I don't get stuck in the entry lines. It's always an amazing experience, but add to that the first game of the season and that fact that it's a night game and it's certainly a part of the experience that you need to see!

2. The lower portions of the upper deck are good for being able to see the game but you do lose some of the atmosphere and crowd noise up there. Whatever you decide about where to sit, my advice would be purchase your tickets before you get to Clemson. I have almost always found them around the stadium when I have to but it adds a lot more frustration to your day.

3. There will be tailgating everywhere. Walk up, introduce yourself, and enjoy!

Aug 14, 2019, 1:35 PM

Ideal gameday for a first timer.

1. Parking Lots open at 8 am. If you plan to be on campus 3 hours before the game, you'll be late to the game. Plan to be in Clemson around 1 and eat lunch in the area. Smokin Pig would be great for this, or make a reservation at Sardis Den.

2. From there get on campus/downtown area and just walk around and see the spectacle that is Clemson tailgating. Most any tailgate around will welcome you with open arms. Head over to Littlejohn and watch the pregame radio show that'll be there all day.

3. 90 minutes before the game make your way to the amphitheatre on campus and watch Tiger Band. Follow them from there to the stadium and get inside to watch the best tradition in college football.

Most importantly, enjoy!

Aug 14, 2019, 2:53 PM

"Follow them from there to the stadium and get inside to watch the best tradition in college football."

They are going to ###### Ohio? ;)

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Aug 14, 2019, 2:56 PM

I guess I cant edit. Now its straight up funny because you can do anything to Ohio lol like 31-0 Ohio.

Scr!ptOhio is what I was trying to say, but go ahead and have fun.

Welcome to Clemson. Hope you have a great time. 1. Downtown

Aug 14, 2019, 3:16 PM

is close so walk up there and get a half-price Clemson shirt down from the Subway and cheer for the right team. It'll be a hit back in Ohio too!

2. Security is really amped up now, so don't try to bring a pocket protector in loaded with fancy electrical gadgets.

3. Whatever you do, and I mean no matter how much you want to to join. DO NOT WOHOOO!

HTH

Re: Welcome to Clemson. Hope you have a great time. 1. Downtown

Aug 14, 2019, 4:00 PM

I plan on cheering for Clemson to get more of the experience.

I dont see anyway physically that Georgia Tech can make this a close game.

Aug 14, 2019, 4:43 PM

kevinc21ox said:

I am a big College Football fan. I plan to visit every worthy stadium in my life time. I moved to Georgia a few years ago from Ohio. I have attended a game at every stadium in the Big Ten and a game at Notre Dame.

I am starting Graduate school this week at Georgia Tech. I saw that they play Clemson first so what better way to start off my southern tour than starting with the National Champions. My Dad and father inlaw will also be coming down from Ohio to go with me. I just have a few questions.

1. Campus. I plan to get to the campus 3 hours before kick off to take in the sights. What are the cant miss pregame stuff (besides the obvious Tiger Walk)? Ware are the not so cant miss things to do that we should check out?

2. Tickets. My student tickets are $90 each through GT. They said they will be upper deck. I see on stubhub upper deck is going for around $35. We dont want upper deck but nor do we want to wait for scalper prices to drop and miss pregame activities. What is the best way to get tickets but not over pay to watch a beat down?

3. Tailgating. I have never been to a game in the south (besides bowl games). In the Midwest I could pretty much walk my way into a good tailgate and get nothing but welcomes even though I was wearing other teams colors. What is the best way to get into a good tailgate down here?

If you plan to arrive 5 p.m. I think you will sit in traffic for an obscene amount of time...nor will you have enough time to enjoy campus.

Aug 14, 2019, 4:43 PM

kevinc21ox said:

If you plan to arrive 5 p.m. I think you will sit in traffic for an obscene amount of time...nor will you have enough time to enjoy campus.

Aug 14, 2019, 4:54 PM

You are fortunate that this is our first night game ever in Aug/Sep ever. It boggles my mind that we play at noon during the hot months and night during the cold months. You are unfortunate that this is the first game with metal detectors at all gates. The lines into the stadium will be long.

As others have said, do yourself a favor and get here early, have lunch at an icon like Smoking Pig, Sardi's, or the Esso Club, go downtown and grab something orange to wear to the game. You will be welcomed at most tailgates and offered food and an adult beverage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 14, 2019, 7:42 PM

This is not Clemson’s first night game in Aug/Sept. We played FSU a few years back in the first game I believe on Labor Day night

Aug 14, 2019, 8:15 PM

BSTiger13 said:

This is not Clemson’s first night game in Aug/Sept. We played FSU a few years back in the first game I believe on Labor Day night

BSTiger13 said:

That was many, many moons ago. 1992 if I remember correctly. The first time the Noles returned to Death Valley since the Puntrooskie in ‘88. I was going to school in Chicago that year and I was pizzed that ABC was going to carry Michigan - Notre Dame for everyone in Chicagoland for that 3:30 time slot.

But then my grandfather passed away and suddenly we were flying home for that weekend. I would get to see the game after all as our return flight didn’t leave until 7:30 pm.

......But at the last minute ABC decided to make it the prime time game broadcast for everyone in America. ......Everyone except those of us on a flight back to Chicago.......

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2019, 8:24 PM

Nope, it was 2007, and was indeed on Labor Day.

Good guys won, 24-18. We were up 24-3 at half though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Suggestions of things to do for my first time to Clemson ]

Thanks, I forgot. I was there, but alcohol was involved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Be sure to get a couple of sets of those antennae to go

Aug 14, 2019, 5:12 PM

on your head while you walk around...

Message was edited by: Spud®

Re: Be sure to get a couple of sets of those antennae to go

Aug 14, 2019, 6:47 PM

Seriously guys, don't you think they will be greeted and welcomed into a tailgate with either GT or Ohio State just as well or maybe better?

Tailgate in or near the cemetery

Aug 14, 2019, 6:57 PM

just off the edge of south stands on the west end. Or at least walk and visit through there. This is the edge of a very large cemetery where many Clemson greats and other South Carolinians of historical note are buried. It's pretty interesting that it reaches down into tailgating territory, only about fifty yards from the stadium, with very little fencing there either. I have an old professor friend buried there. Tailigating goes in in and around the graves, which is pretty unusual, but shows how it's a sprawling activity that goes about everywhere.

There is no tailgating in the actual cemetery...the cemetery

Aug 15, 2019, 11:00 AM

lot is right outside and down the hill toward Williamson Rd...I park there...no way to get in that lot or anywhere close without a pass

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old saying about GaTech

Aug 14, 2019, 7:25 PM

that only applies if you're female:

"the odds are good but the goods are odd"

My daughter heard that when planning her tour for undergrad at GaTech. She ended up at Clemson - Thank God! Pretty girl that didn't need the extra odds :)

And before others ask - no, I'm not posting any pics :)

Aug 14, 2019, 7:55 PM

Kevin, those who caution you to arrive waaaay early ain’t kidding. If you showed up 3 hours before kick off, you might still be trying to find parking when kick off goes down. There’s a lot to see and experience and in my experience I think you likely won’t get far from your parking place before someone corrals you into their tailgate party.

Keep this in mind as well, when the game is over we’ve got the Hotel California effect going on. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Be prepared to do some post-game tailgating too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2019, 9:14 PM

Get some ice cream from the exchange. It’s really good.

If you like blue cheese. Get some Clemson Blue Cheese to take home. It is considered some of the finest in the world. Really!

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Aug 15, 2019, 9:04 AM

Thanks for the help. I will get there much earlier than 5.

Thank you everyone for the advice and good luck this season to the Tigers.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:19 AM

Three hours before the game may not be good enough. If one of the gentlemen going with you has a handicapped mirror placard, bring it so you can park behind Sikes Hall. Otherwise, you may be parking up by the water tower. If you have a cooler in your vehicle, go by Station 55 in Hendricks hall and get some Clemson Bleu Cheese. Bring a clear gallon zip lock bag with any Tylenol and throat lozenges for each of you. traffic will be heavy and there are limited ways to campus. This is not downtown OSU. You could probably get here early to walk around but after the game things will heavy. I do not think that people will stay as long as the Cards game three years ago. The game will finish up around midnight. It is a long trip to Atlanta. Be careful and enjoy. By the way, do not wear OSU colors if
you want to part of the crowd. This is a small town with a university. Imagine Lebanon, Ohio with a 24,000 student body. And every thing is up or down hill.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:07 AM

Its good that you're a big college football fan in case your tickets are in the visitors section. You'll need to be able to explain to many around you the basics of the game.

Good luck, enjoy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 11:20 AM

Yeah, GT fans still think they are supposed to running from a single wing.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic