Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Suggested rule change for injured players.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Suggested rule change for injured players.

Nov 1, 2019, 2:24 PM

When a player leaves the game due to injury serious enough that the clock had to stop because he wasn't able to get off the field on his own he cannot return to the filed until there is a change of possession.

Two advantages to this rule:

1. It prioritizes player safety. (And, that is what the NCAA says they are doing with all the other rules changes related to injury - targeting, defenseless player, etc.)

2. It penalizes a team who uses a "psuedo-injury" to slow play down and give their team a chance to rest and substitute.

(GA Southern is just the latest example of many instances where the fake injury has been used.)

Note. Reason 1 above is just PR junk that the NCAA could use to justify the rule change. Reason 2 is the actual reason to change the rule.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suggested rule change for injured players.

Nov 1, 2019, 2:37 PM

My biggest issue with this change would that the bottom of piles would get even nastier with guys trying to figure out ways to make the other team's players have to leave the field for the rest of the drive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly . . . and that alone is reason enough not to

Nov 1, 2019, 2:54 PM

have that rule. Besides, the work-around for this isn't so hard. Staffs will just have someone down the depth chart go in for a play and fake an injury to be the sacrificial lamb - either that or - more likely, assign the task to players who were about to be subbed out anyway (maybe, due to fatigue). This doesn't avoid all complications, but it avoids enough for teams to work around it in large part.

Re: Exactly . . . and that alone is reason enough not to

Nov 1, 2019, 3:00 PM

All good points.

It may also result in actual injured players attempting to play through an injury resulting in a worse injury, knowing that if he comes out, he won't be able to go back in until the next drive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly . . . and that alone is reason enough not to

Nov 2, 2019, 8:08 AM

Exactly. This right here is the main reason this rule will never change.

Good point.

Nov 1, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Suggested rule change for injured players. ]

Perhaps shorten the length of time the player must sit out - say 4 plays or thereabouts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Good point.

Nov 1, 2019, 3:58 PM

Just reading all of your comments, it doesn't appear as though there is a sure fire way of doing this. Either the injured player will keep on getting away with this or the opposing team will make sure someone gets hurt.

Nov 1, 2019, 4:06 PM

Don't need no more steenkin' rules. If a player takes a dive, referee calls unsportsmanlike conduct.

Very good point.

Nov 2, 2019, 7:01 AM

I agree with you. And, this would work except the ref on the field has to err on the side of player safety. One way to do this would be to make it a reviewable play. When a guy goes down on the field the ref may not see him. But, while he is "being attended to by the training staff" the TV shows replays and it is often time obvious that he just took a dive.

Let the replay booth buzz down to the field and tell the refs, "Unsportsmanlike Conduct."

Nov 2, 2019, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Suggested rule change for injured players. ]

The problem is that some of the guys that seem to be trying to slow the offense down actually do have some minor injury. Against a fast paced offense they go down so that they have a chance to get a sub in for them. If they were to limp off the field, someone would likely be out of position with the substitution.

Nov 2, 2019, 8:16 AM

Banning the SEC from playing football would reduce these fake injuries by 90-95%.

Oh no, no, no... We've got to have our whippin' boys.***

Nov 2, 2019, 8:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2019, 10:12 AM

Great points by everyone and valid pros and cons. It seems unfair to keep a dinged up player out for a full possession (I think about XT earlier this year) and I don't think the Refs or instant replay will ever make that decison and penalize a team for it.

IMO, an injured player needs to sit a minimum of 5 plays or until change of possession (which ever is shorter) for evaluation. This would make teams that use this tactic think about it.

Although, if I was a coach and used this tactic, I would just sub a backup for a play to get "injured" and sit out. It will be very difficult to stop this practice no matter what's in place.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you telling me that these injuries are faked?

Nov 2, 2019, 10:19 AM

Doesn't add up.

https://youtu.be/ucZV5CFtncc

Re: Are you telling me that these injuries are faked?

Nov 2, 2019, 10:34 AM

An injured player has to sit out until a possesion change or time out by either team or official. That way a player with a true minor injury can get back in but the team has to use a timeout.

Message was edited by: djones73

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone of those plays could have been reviewed...

Nov 2, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Are you telling me that these injuries are faked? ]

....by the replay official while the "injured player" was being treated. No extra time added to the game.

If a player is actually injured, then the replay official could just not call it unsportsmanlike conduct.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic