Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Students organizing Silence before game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Students organizing Silence before game

Oct 10, 2018, 12:20 PM

The student body is trying to organize a silence before the cannon goes off down the hill. I personally think this is a terrible idea. What is this Utah state basketball??? Bring the noise vs NC State!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thoughts?***

Oct 10, 2018, 12:21 PM

Re: Thoughts?***

Oct 10, 2018, 12:27 PM

I don’t think it can be organized again personally. But even though we lost, the stories of the silent treatment for 1977 Notre Dame are the stuff of legend...

“THE SILENT TREATMENT

Two weeks before Clemson was set to play the Irish in Death Valley, Notre Dame head coach Dan Devine privately called the head of officials of the ACC and asked if the game officials would take notice of the stories that Clemson’s Death Valley was too loud when the opposing team had the ball. He was worried his team might get called for a couple of delay of game penalties while trying to get plays in from the sideline or change things up at the line of scrimmage. Instead, he wanted the officials to penalize Clemson for too much fan noise.

Somehow word leaked back to Clemson of Devine’s plan and the Clemson fan base—without the services of a thing called the Internet—got a little creative. During pregame warm ups, no one in the stadium made a sound. They did not scream or yell until the Tigers’ finally came charging down the Hill just minutes before kickoff.

“Even the band cooperated,” Blackman said. “They acted like they were playing their instruments, but there was no music. They were just pretending like they were playing. They did that all throughout the pregame.”

From that point on they were loud the entire game and it did cause some communication issues for the Irish.

But the fans wanted Devine to think he got to them and they were going to be on their best behavior. But they gave it to him and every time he stepped out onto the field that afternoon to complain to the officials he was booed and jeered.

“What he did was just add fuel to the fire,” Blackman said. “I tell you what. That was the loudest I ever heard Memorial Stadium. It was obviously smaller than the crowds we have today, but in my opinion, that stadium has never been louder than it was on that afternoon.

“That was the loudest noise I think I have ever heard in my life.”“

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2015/10/02/all-it-cost-was-50-cents-silent-treatment/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2018, 1:46 PM

Was there, thanks for reminding me. I mostly remember driving all over the country for white painters overalls and orange ritz dye. Was this the game where the officials warned the fans about the noise as a delay of game ? 60,000 fans 'shhhhsssshhhh' is dang loud. Devine tried to protest this as well, the officials thru up their hands and told them to hike the ball.

We also did it at a BB game. I was reminded, we all brought the newspaper to read while the other team warmed up. It was very cool and a blast.

I was, too

Oct 10, 2018, 2:24 PM

In the student section. Most fun I've ever had making noise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I was, too

Oct 10, 2018, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts?*** ]

In the student section. Most fun I've ever had making noise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oct 10, 2018, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts?*** ]

During my years at Clemson, this is one game I remember. I remember the band coming out and holding their instruments and not a sound. What a great memory!

My thought is that this is made up.***

Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Thoughts?*** ]

Re: Students organizing Silence before game

Oct 10, 2018, 12:23 PM

That's a REALLY bad idea. Unless it's total silence when the opponent comes on the field.

Oct 10, 2018, 12:26 PM

They tried to do the same thing for 2014 Louisville game, it didn’t happen

Me no likey

Oct 10, 2018, 12:45 PM

Too much noise for the snowflakes, should we just

Oct 10, 2018, 12:48 PM

call it quiet time?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

It was awesome at the Duke basketball game.....AWESOME.***

Oct 10, 2018, 12:49 PM

Re: It was awesome at the Duke basketball game.....AWESOME.***

Oct 10, 2018, 1:48 PM

thanks, I remember it but couldn't remember who we played.

How will we know if they are silent or not

Oct 10, 2018, 1:01 PM

Most of them don't come

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aren't the students silent EVERY game?

Oct 10, 2018, 1:21 PM

I mean come on :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Could be a lot worse

Oct 10, 2018, 1:37 PM

The ‘77 ND game was epic with the silence. It can’t be done with this generation unfortunately.***

Oct 10, 2018, 1:32 PM

Too many "independent thinkers" who will want to do their

Oct 10, 2018, 10:41 PM

own thing to pull something like that off again. Those days the student body was a lot more cohesive.

Oct 10, 2018, 1:32 PM

I'm a student and haven't heard this nonsense. The vibe around campus is mainly focused around if GameDay is coming or not. (We all want Gameday)

Oct 10, 2018, 2:13 PM

being silent before the game is good practice when we are silent the entire game when finley throws for 400 and 3 tds

Do what now?***

Oct 10, 2018, 2:14 PM

Oh you, so silly

Oct 10, 2018, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Students organizing Silence before game ]

He could throw for 600 yards and you will still lose. Deep in your heart you know you will lose this game. You just can't seem to get past Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh you, so silly

Oct 10, 2018, 2:22 PM

you boys are worried, we have nothing to lose. it will be a close game, see you there

No worries, but you're right, it is usually a pretty good

Oct 10, 2018, 10:44 PM

game. Unless Etienne runs all over y'all like Woodrow Danzler did. That was not close. But it usually is a good one. Good luck.

This seems Whoo Hoo ish to.me...

Oct 10, 2018, 10:24 PM

Just be loud***

Oct 10, 2018, 10:52 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic