Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Strength of schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,272

Strength of schedule

Dec 21, 2019, 8:15 AM

It seems like all year we kept hearing about strength of schedule and how the rankings changed based on who a team plays. It seems this year with the current committee it was a bigger part of the equation than in the past. It doesn't make sense to me to measure a team based on what team they are playing. There were many examples but lets take the championship weekend games since they are the most recent.

(3) Clemson 62 - (23) UVA 17
(1) Ohio State 34 - (8) Wisconsin 21
(2) LSU 37 - (4) Georgia 10

How do you determine that one of these teams is better than the other based on who they played? Clemson beat their ranked opponent by 45 points. Ohio state beat theirs by 13. LSU beat theirs by 27. So is Clemson's 45 point win less impressive than OSU's win by 13 just because the ranking of their opponent? I know that the only important thing is to be in the top 4 and I'm ok with that. It just seems Clemson was penalized all year based on who they played. Clemson beat their opponents by an average of over 30 points this year but they were dropped in the rankings because of who they played which to me in a P5 conference is ridiculous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strength of schedule

Dec 21, 2019, 9:49 AM

Frebreeze it as much as you'd like but your schedule was garbage relative to Ohio State and LSU. What are you proposing to differentiate the 3 undefeated teams in the final rankings?

CFB will regress into the elite teams playing cupcakes like Wofford and Charlotte every year if we don't reward teams in the rankings for beating ranked opponents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 9:50 AM

Terrier--you need to adjust your clock. I am reading your 9:49 am post at 9:47 am!!??

Dec 21, 2019, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure where you're seeing the timestamp. Posting from mobile device so might be an issue.

Dec 21, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Strength of schedule ]

And you are on a Clemson board...why exactly?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 10:10 AM

I started lurking the board mid-season when it became apparent we were on a collision course. I played for Wofford and have lived in the Carolinas for most of my adult life. I've loosely followed Clemson/USC football for over a decade. In fact, was able to attend the SC all-state banquet and listen to Dank as the keynote speaker days after he was announced as the new head coach. So I'm hear for many reasons, but must importantly, I can't wait for this matchup.

When O310 Can Beat Clemson Even Once or Perhaps Even Score a

Dec 21, 2019, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Strength of schedule ]

Point then you can come sit at the big people table. Now run along Timmy, your chicken nuggets are getting cold.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When O310 Can Beat Clemson Even Once or Perhaps Even Score a

Dec 21, 2019, 10:12 AM

Ok, guess we'll find out again 12/28 daddy.

So it's okay for O31O to schedule ZERO Power 5 out of

Dec 21, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Strength of schedule ]

conference games this season while Clemson scheduled two, against 'it just means more' SEC schools. And we are the problem with CFB?

Gotcha, and thanks for playing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So it's okay for O31O to schedule ZERO Power 5 out of

Dec 21, 2019, 10:14 AM

Touché. If the B1G was down this year as bad as the ACC, the shoe would be on the other foot only worse because Ohio State didn't schedule P5 OOC.

Which teams played more bowl teams

Dec 21, 2019, 10:22 AM

than Clemson?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2019, 11:44 AM

My issue with strength of schedule is that it all starts with preseason expectations of talking heads and sports writers who mostly pay more attention to their regional competition. Teams losing to over rated competitors don’t drop enough and teams winning against under rated competition don’t rise quickly enough. The Big 10 with 8 in the top 25 early was ridiculous and helped to keep teams like Minnesota and Penn State artificially high. Wisconsin was good but not top 10. They have no passing game.

Pre-Season Rankings!

Dec 21, 2019, 12:08 PM

Ranking teams pre-season to increase interest in football games is the problem. After the long lay off people will watch a couple of nobody teams play. You don't need to hype the dang teams pre-season. But, year after year, it happens.
Traditional power schools get the benefit of the doubt and everybody else kind of falls in place where there is room: "if they have a decent roster returning"!

FAU
Cincinnati
Indiana
Penn St
Wisconsin
Michigan St
Michigan
Miami(OH)
Rutgers
Nebraska
Maryland
Northwestern

The last four didn't make a bowl game I don't believe. The rest of those teams did not exactly light it up. None of the rest of the teams that did become bowl eligible is going to blow you away with their personnel. Ohio State may find a way to beat us and their schedule like our could have prepared them. But, from the outside looking in, I don't think so. They are getting a ton of mileage for beating Penn St, Michigan and Wisconsin. I know Indiana had a solid year but come on - the Hoosiers may get a top 30 class every 5 years? Same with Cincy, FAU, Michigan St, Miami.
Stop the Badgers from rushing and force them to throw it and you pretty much can beat them.
Penn St. meh, what area do they excel in? Tell me? Look at their stats or look at the Pittsburgh game they played at "HOME". Michigan - has been getting overrated for a long time this year is no exception. They looked horrible at times this season on offense. So - no kidding they would lose when playing a very talented Ohio St. team. Ohio St. is talented beyond belief - but have not been physically challenged athletically all season. FSU, UNC, NCST, UVA, MIami and VT have at least all had good recruiting classes over the last 5 years. FACT Check.
The teams may not do well; but those teams have done pretty well in the recruiting end! Better than Wisconsin, Indiana, FAU, Rutgers, etc. Not all - Penn St and Michigan get their fair share. But, that's about it.

Whatever! Spot the ball and let what will happen happen. You have to be able to assess a team based on "performance"! Like an Olympic judge who goes off of execution of "how it is supposed to look and how it is supposed to have been executed"! Many Olympic sports aren't direct competition. So, judging a team when they are playing what is supposed to be inferior competition has to be graded differently. I will say - Ohio St. handled their business against less talented teams. Clemson did as well with the exception 1 game. (Would love to know the cumulative UNC recruting rank for this years team; Fedora use to bring in some talent).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,272
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic