Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Strange thing about attending the Natty
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Strange thing about attending the Natty

Jan 19, 2019, 8:40 AM

While Bama fans made up just a tad half of the attendance at the game itself and Official Fanfest functions, I saw VERY few of them around town in the days leading up to the game and or the day following the game. I'm not sure if they were collectively being held hostage in their hotel or what. But there were very few around. Pretty odd.

BTW the pregame Fanfest thing was stellar. I'm not a huge Keith Urban fan but he was really good. The crowd at the stage was not so big where you could not see him. You felt connected to the concert. Overall I'd rate the entire trip at 9. It would have been a 10 had the weather on Sunday not been so rainy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strange thing about attending the Natty

Jan 19, 2019, 8:45 AM

Tampa was very similar. It was like most of the AL fans showed up just for the game and left. You didn’t see a huge presence in the days leading up to the game then either.

Same for Sugar Bowl. That game they could easily drive to.***

Jan 19, 2019, 8:49 AM

Jan 19, 2019, 8:50 AM

Similar in Tampa. 90% of cars with flags headed down I-75 between Ocala and Tampa were Clemson people, 80% of people tailgating on the day of the game were Clemson people, then the game starts and the stadium is split 55/45 slightly in favor of Clemson. A lot of Bama fans somehow sneak into and out of town on game day without being seen.

Jan 19, 2019, 8:53 AM

Tampa was exactly the same. We didn't see any pregame, and then boom, stadium full of Bammers. Their crowd was very organized with the cheering. Kind of robotic.

Jan 19, 2019, 12:18 PM

Our hotel manager in Tampa said their reservations were about 60/40 Clemson, but all the Clemson people had checked in between 1-3 pm Sunday and most of the Bama fans showed up after 8 pm. The ratio at Tuesday breakfast was about 95-5 Clemson. :)

Jan 19, 2019, 8:53 AM

Guess it really does go back to bama expects to be there and they follow their head coach that it’s all business. Like it’s just another road game.

Just hope we don’t get that way after we get our 4th or 5th natty in the next several years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2019, 12:08 PM

I was thinking the same. There’s no fun in that. Complacency may be somewhat natural for all their success so like you, I hope I never feel that way knowing we are going to have continued success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard some of them on Finebaum. They were probably

Jan 19, 2019, 8:55 AM

scared to leave their room in "liberal, commie California". I swear the comments some of them made because the event was even held there. That's what the United States has come to. Honestly, the most back woods, tin foil hat wearing, redneck comments you've ever heard.

I hear there's a movement afoot in Bama

Jan 19, 2019, 9:23 AM

for tin foil helmets and Mylar jerseys. And for Nick to start limboing in the locker room after a win.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over the last few years, being a Clemson or Bama fan...

Jan 19, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to I've heard some of them on Finebaum. They were probably ]

has gotten rather pricey.

For Clemson, in addition to IPTAY, season ticket costs, regular season road games to Boston, Syracuse, Louisville, and Texas A&M, the added cost of conference championship games, we've also had CFP trips to Miami twice, New Orleans, Dallas, Arizona twice and now San Francisco.

Bama is in that same boat and on that basis, I suspect many of them flew out on the day of the game and flew back home the very next day. I know a lot of Clemson fans who did the same thing to make the cost of the trip a little more manageable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I've heard some of them on Finebaum. They were probably

Jan 19, 2019, 12:02 PM [ in reply to I've heard some of them on Finebaum. They were probably ]

So basically no different than some vical fans on TigerNet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We arrived on Thursday and left on Tuesday...

Jan 19, 2019, 11:47 AM

and it rained literally every day we were there except for the day of the game.

We did get a brief break from the rain the day we visited Battery Spencer and Muir Woods.

Like you, I couldn't help but notice that in the days leading up to the game, Clemson fans in and around the city vastly outnumbered the Bama fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was stadium “loud”?

Jan 19, 2019, 11:53 AM

Just curious about crowd intensity. If you went to Tampa, compare?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clemson fans certainly were...

Jan 19, 2019, 11:59 AM

Bama fans, on the other hand, didn't have a whole lot to cheer about.

Jan 19, 2019, 12:05 PM

Phoenix was like that. It was probably 80/20 Clemson/bama fans leading up to the game. I was astonished when the game was about 50/50. I remember wondering where the heck they all came from

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic