Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stoudt is doing fine......Morris' play calling.........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Stoudt is doing fine......Morris' play calling.........

Oct 18, 2014, 4:56 PM

CM's play calling ....stoudt has to run what is called, when a down field pass is actually called, we have moved the ball. MAYBE CM noticed that and will continue to call passes...DOWN FIELD!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree somewhat but every time he drops back he's running

Oct 18, 2014, 4:59 PM

for his life.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree somewhat but every time he drops back he's running

Oct 18, 2014, 5:03 PM

This is true as well; but, there are three step drops/quick passes that would get the ball out of his hands faster....and there has been a couple of roll outs that have worked nicely.

Go Tigers!!!

We never have any quick routes besides screens so the

Oct 18, 2014, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I agree somewhat but every time he drops back he's running ]

D feels safe bringing pressure. 75% of our plays involve some delay in the backfield or are screens. Morris is helping the opposing pass rush.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do agree with this. Wish we would throw more slants or

Oct 18, 2014, 7:01 PM

slip some TEs over the middle. We haven't worked that area of the field worth a crap since Allen and Jaron Brown were here.

The precise time to call a screen pass is when the defense

Oct 18, 2014, 7:39 PM [ in reply to We never have any quick routes besides screens so the ]

is blitzing the QB. By allowing the blitzers to get free, the QB can throw the ball over them to an open receiver and the free offensive lineman that let the blitzing defenders run by are free to run downfield and block.

Calling a screen pass when your offensive line is having trouble handling the blitz and protecting the QB is exactly when a good coach would call a screen. Calling a screen pass when the O-line is blocking fine would be a terrible play call.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They must time his 40 with an hour glass otherwise he's good***

Oct 18, 2014, 8:03 PM [ in reply to I agree somewhat but every time he drops back he's running ]

Play the same game we play with DW in we'll kick their

Oct 18, 2014, 5:01 PM

####. Looks like they are getting tired of being timid finally

Re: Play the same game we play with DW in we'll kick their

Oct 18, 2014, 5:05 PM

Yep, I hope so as well.

I will say that I cannot STAND the way we run the "read option"....because there seems to be NO read...just a call made prior to the snap WHO is keeping/getting the ball. Except with DeShaun Watson, occasionally there seemed to be an actual "read"...

Go Tigers!!!

Agree. Why are we not throwing ACROSS the line of

Oct 18, 2014, 5:06 PM

scrimmage more, about 10 yards out. High completion rate for Cole. Opens their defense up.

opens run game***

Oct 18, 2014, 5:06 PM

Move Morris to the box!

Oct 18, 2014, 5:09 PM

Maybe seeing wide open WRs will make him throw the ball more.

~JKB

Re: Move Morris to the box!

Oct 18, 2014, 5:13 PM

That is a good point! All I see him do normally is just yell into his headset anyway....he can do that UP TOP!

Go Tigers!!!

Re: Move Morris to the box!

Oct 19, 2014, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Move Morris to the box! ]

If the receivers are wide open it is because Chad called a pass play. Do you see the stupidity of your post?

He is playing to his capability

Oct 18, 2014, 5:22 PM

I have counted 3 Read Option plays where he read it wrong and the DE collapsed on the RB in the backfield. Thats not the OLs fault, the OT is supposed to block in and leave the DE for the QB to read.

Re: He is playing to his capability

Oct 18, 2014, 6:55 PM

Yea, I think that we run a "read option" that really doesn't have a read for the QBs to make...I think who keeps the ball is known in the huddle....either that, or no one besides DeShaun Watson knows how to read the DE (this is including TB for his three years).

Go Tigers!!!

Re: He is playing to his capability

Oct 19, 2014, 9:21 AM [ in reply to He is playing to his capability ]

Bingo. That's the difference, and that's one of the areas where Watson is just much better. Cole is a serviceable QB who plays hard, and he made some VERY nice throws against BC. I think Cole did GREAT, as well as he could play with 100% effort. But Deshaun is the zone read guy. With him, opposing defenses MUST respect the QB run. Given that and the fact that he is a very accurate passer with a great arm, and you just can't help but notice the disparity in talent between the two. That's not Stoudt's fault; Deshaun is just that good .

Disagree. Throwing deep is much more difficult with Cole

Oct 18, 2014, 6:58 PM

in there. OL doesn't protect well enough, Cole can't really escape when the pocket collapses, and I don't think he throws the ball that well beyond 20 or so yards down the field. Cole's sweet spot is 10-15 yard throws and out of his hand pretty quickly.

Re: Disagree. Throwing deep is much more difficult with Cole

Oct 18, 2014, 7:05 PM

I agree somewhat. To me Cole doesn't have the same touch and accuracy that Deshaun has on his deep balls. It also seems to me, although it is counterintuitive, that Deshaun goes through his reads much better than the fifth year Senior in Cole. I see him staring down is primary target and missing check downs quite a bit. He probably should have had at least 2 interceptions today if it were not for receivers making good plays to knock the ball away.

Exactly right***

Oct 19, 2014, 7:26 AM [ in reply to Disagree. Throwing deep is much more difficult with Cole ]

Play calling is fine.***

Oct 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The play calling is far from fine...It isn't as poor as some

Oct 18, 2014, 7:09 PM

of Cole's decisions, but running a draw after you lose yardage on 1st and 2nd? Giving Cole an option to run on 3rd down on our last drive (before the Victory formation)? Play calling isn't our biggest problem, but it certainly is an issue

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The QB has the option to audible into a select group

Oct 18, 2014, 7:46 PM

of plays at any given time depending on the defense. He also has the ability to run a hot route with a specific receiver to the vacated area of an extra blitzer. Cole checked into that running play following the timeout where he kept the ball and was nowhere close to getting the first down.

I actually have no problem running the ball there with the rain and the way our defense was playing, but Cole had no business checking into a QB keeper. And a naked one at that without a lead blocker. It looked like if he had given the ball to the RB on that play going to the right side of the field we may have been able to get that first down.

I love how our defense has been playing, but these past 2 weeks are killing my nerves.

I loved the call for Cole to run there. We have't run that

Oct 18, 2014, 8:48 PM [ in reply to The play calling is far from fine...It isn't as poor as some ]

with him all year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We haven't let him punt yet either, should we give him a

Oct 19, 2014, 12:14 AM

shot at punting next week?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4+ QB runs with a QB with a bad shoulder...

Oct 18, 2014, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Play calling is fine.*** ]

Horrendous first quarter of play calling. He did adjust and improve through the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

agree, thought it was crazy to risk running him***

Oct 18, 2014, 9:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt has the option to check out of the play

Oct 18, 2014, 7:27 PM

Dabo has mentioned Watson making several changes on key plays that lead to touchdowns. So he doesn't have to run what's called, if he sees something better he can call it he's either not seeing anything on the defense or not making the audible. If the line breaks down cole has to have the ability to roll out and throw on the move. Without offense you can not only stand in the pocket or run, you must throw on the move. Cole must improve on these things, luckily the competition should be manageable until DW gets back.

biggest problem is line isn't good at run blocking.***

Oct 18, 2014, 9:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt is doing fine at fast tempo, messes up when Morris

Oct 18, 2014, 9:42 PM

interrupts and changes play - messes with momentum. I think that is because Morris does not trust him! I agree Chad needs to go to box! Unless he learns to trust Chad and allow him to play 2 minute offense without interruption! Did you see interview with Morris after game, the media had a hard time getting him to praise Cole - at first, he was putting Cole down - pure projection of his own negative coach. Venables is making himself a bigger head coaching prospect now.

i point this out and I get called a coot!***

Oct 18, 2014, 9:44 PM

Re: Stoudt is doing fine......Morris' play calling.........

Oct 19, 2014, 2:31 AM

The difference on the deep balls is the arm strength difference between Stoudt and Watson.

Stoudt's deep balls are usually under thrown and that leaves Mike having to fight back through the DB for a chance at the ball.

Watson can throw the same pass to Mike with a very different outcome, because of the distance that Watson can throw the ball, it gives Mike time to get open while the ball is still in the air.

Watch some of the earlier deep balls thrown to Mike, when the ball was released, he was covered and then broke past his DB the last couple of steps.

WE need Cole to play TO free football like he did today, so that we have a chance to win while Mr. Watson is out.

Morris Call Plays

Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 AM

Based on what his offensive players do best. Is he perfect, no. But it's not his fault that you have major comprehension issues and can't recognize this.

But at $1.3mm in salary and this much time

Oct 19, 2014, 8:00 AM

To build his offense, Morris cannot be excused by HIS QB's deficiencies or HIS O line's deficiencies. Ultimately, the results are HIS responsibility.

Plenty of coaches making way less than him are able to field a better offense than this with more inferior talent.

At some point, that is the point and that is why he should be on the hot seat.

Re: But at $1.3mm in salary and this much time

Oct 19, 2014, 8:55 AM

Huffer...you been huffing this morning?

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic