Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

YOUR BALANCE
Still hurts to say it. Special teams cost us
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Still hurts to say it. Special teams cost us

Feb 18, 2016, 5:02 PM

a National Friggin Championship!!! Special Teams!!! I mean, r u kiddin me? Ugh. Hurts.

The busted defensive coverages hurt as well, but take that kick return away and we win.

Ok. I'm done cryin. Flame away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still hurts to say it. Special teams cost us

Feb 14, 2018, 8:30 AM

My roomate and I talked about that last night. He's still sore from it.
But you live and you learn. We will be back. Soon.

Feb 18, 2016, 6:40 PM

> My roomate and I talked about that last night. He's
> still sore from it.
> But you live and you learn. We will be back. Soon.

I hope for soon but lets face it we took 35 years to get back to it. I think we are close but also know that it is one tough deal to win. You take away Bama and there are not any teams that seem to win it more than once every few years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2016, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Still hurts to say it. Special teams cost us ]

I hope we do learn from it. Up until that game, we were able and had the talent to overcome the Special Teams deficiencies. AL had studied them, and they got lucky and exposed them that night. It is best if we fix that for good and make Special Teams a strength, rather than an "Achilles Heel".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct ... there are 3 equally important phases to football

Feb 18, 2016, 5:13 PM

We did good enough on offense and defense to be national champs ... we were as good or better than Alabama in those two facets of the game, but the other crucial leg of that "3-legged stool" was weak and it finally broke off and dumped us on our butts.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like this...?

Feb 18, 2016, 5:21 PM

I hear ya brotha. You must be having one of those days too:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19042288

It was bound to bite us eventually...

Feb 18, 2016, 5:29 PM

Sit in the barber shop long enough....you're gonna get a haircut!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2016, 5:32 PM

actually not as much as two busted coverages by our safety and the ball strip in the end zone

Feb 18, 2016, 5:42 PM

I totally agree with you. The "back end" of our defense hurt us big time. The big bust plays that hurt us many times during the season just never got fixed. You rarely see guys running as open as they do in our secondary and we were supposedly ranked second in pass defense. Laughable.

Naw ... Alabama could complain just as much about how they

Feb 18, 2016, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Still hurts to say it. Special teams cost us ]

could not contain Watson in the pocket to save their lives and how their 5* defensive back let a walk-on WR get behind him twice in critical situations.

We played well enough to win on offense and defense. We lost it on special teams.

I still haven't watched the replay. Can't bring myself to do it.***

Feb 18, 2016, 5:33 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still haven't watched the replay. Can't bring myself to do it.***

Feb 18, 2016, 5:41 PM

Me too. Too painful.

We were down by 4 when they returned the kick, but who

Feb 18, 2016, 5:39 PM

knows?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were down by 4 when they returned the kick, but who

Feb 18, 2016, 7:35 PM

We did score again in just a few seconds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You win as a team and you lose as a team!!!

Feb 18, 2016, 6:06 PM

Clemson Football is one team not three!! The entire team made mistakes, the offense left points on the field, the interception that gave them great field position and Bama tie the score. The defense gave way too many big plays and let the TE run wild. The coaches didn't get the kick return team on position to handle the onside kick. So all phases of the game made mistakes and contributed to the loss. The Clemson Tigers lost by 5 and this year they'll win it as a team!!!

Feb 18, 2016, 6:17 PM

If it hurts don't say it! Keep moving forward! Life is Good!!!

Let it go, homie.....***

Feb 18, 2016, 6:19 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let it go, homie.....***

Feb 19, 2016, 6:56 AM

Special teams cost us the NATTY

Feb 18, 2016, 6:32 PM

And what hurts most of all, Dabo had to know we were bad. We have been saying it and calling out Pearman and whoever else couldn't coach them for YEARS. Dabo is not that blind--maybe he was hoping that we would somehow skate by again. Pretty bad plan for a guy with as much vision as he has had to bring in the Chad, Brent Venables, Streeter, improve our facilities, et al. No excuses! We all knew that it would one day bite us in the butt, and it did at the worst possible moment!

By the way, I love Dabo and what he has done for CU football, but I cannot give him a pass on Special Teams...

Re: Special teams cost us the NATTY

Feb 18, 2016, 7:12 PM

Sure thing Cocklover - citadel still stings huh? Or is it 2016 in dv where you lose again? Or the overall state of the usuck program or lack thereof? We should fire Dabo huh?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Feb 18, 2016, 6:46 PM

Who cares at this point . It was a great season as it stands alone .
Let it go man , its on to try again !

DB23

It still hurts to hear or read it.

Feb 18, 2016, 7:03 PM

Stop saying it so one of us can get some relief.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the onside kick...: (***

Feb 18, 2016, 7:12 PM

Re: and the onside kick...: (***

Feb 18, 2016, 7:41 PM

That was a lucky bounce, and had not been executed in practice after many attempts, and probablt couldn't be duplicated to that degree of success in 100 more attempts, but it accidentally worked then. You can't fight luck. The return is just executing assignments, and we failed miserably (actually several times last year), but the return was what beat us. That was inexcusable.

no bounce. just took advantage of our being out of position.***

Feb 18, 2016, 8:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Was not a lucky bounce. Just a great kick.

Feb 19, 2016, 7:05 AM [ in reply to Re: and the onside kick...: (*** ]

Took advantage of us being out of position. Nothing lucky about it.

Feb 18, 2016, 7:30 PM

No flaming here. You are 100% spot on!

Feb 18, 2016, 7:50 PM

Think we all know this and knew it could bite us in the ### against an equally talented team. Let's be proud of what we did and let the coaches handle it. Hopefully they do - I trust them.

I haven't been able to watch the replay, but take solace in knowing we beat Bama in the trenches and Saban had to resort to trickery to beat us.

Next

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Feb 18, 2016, 8:14 PM

I had a guy come to my door tonight selling something. I stared at a big elephant on his crimson shirt. I asked you wouldn't happen to be a bama fan would you? He nodded his yes. At that point i proudly said Go Tigers! For me it was a small victory.

so it was really a coot fan, right?***

Feb 18, 2016, 8:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

ST were an issue against App St.. never got fixed.***

Feb 18, 2016, 8:29 PM

null

Re: Still hurts to say it. Special teams cost us-Disagree

Feb 18, 2016, 9:04 PM

The defense gave up FIVE touchdowns. Special teams gave up one and allowed Alabama to keep possession on the perfectly executed onsides kick. I won't mention names. One safety allowed Henry's first TD run by playing too close to the line of scrimmage, not as a safety. One safety had two blown pass coverages that led directly to TDs. In fact, he kept lining up in the wrong position throughout the game (watch the replay). I can't figure that out. He should have known by now. This allowed big plays even when he wasn't directly responsible because he couldn't recover in time as a safety. The other safety never helped correct those with communication. This safety was not running at full speed not only in that game but for many since the Louisville game. It's a shame when 8-9 players play great and still so many points are scored because of 2-3. This same safety not playing at full speed on defense was playing on special teams, also not playing at full speed. I would say that if those two guys were replaced, we would have won the game easily by 2-3 touchdowns. I am only repeating what actually happened. Watch the game again...you will see it.

Neither defense contained the other offense ... thus 45-40

Feb 18, 2016, 9:36 PM

Bama had just as many places where they could say their defense let them down as Clemson did.

You don't have a 45-40 score if defenses are playing up to total effectiveness.

The one glaring difference between the two otherwise evenly matched teams was kick-off coverage.

No - coaching cost us that game. ST was an

Feb 18, 2016, 10:24 PM

issue against App St. Good coaching would have repaired that weakness. And others.... The kick recovery for bama was there all night. It was just a matter of when? That's coaching. The secondary problems were there.

Feb 18, 2016, 10:25 PM

> a National Friggin Championship!!! Special Teams!!! I
> mean, r u kiddin me? Ugh. Hurts.
>
> The busted defensive coverages hurt as well, but take
> that kick return away and we win.
>
> special teams gave up 7 points. D gave up 38 yet you blame ST? Wondering is you are a usuc grad based on your logic
> Ok. I'm done cryin. Flame away.

blown coverages hurt just as much***

Feb 18, 2016, 10:29 PM

I know this- WE had 2 elementary snafus and 1 of the

Feb 18, 2016, 10:43 PM

all-time ballziest trick plays in a Natty title game pulled on us and we still were in the game. 3 mental snafus on us to be truthful...

One thing everyone can be sure of is WE belong. 1st time since Ford I've felt that but I've felt we have been right at the precipice since 2013. Now everyone saw the proof (even many bama folks...) and we should expect and be comfy at the top level. I hate we did lose that one but considering our mindset previously, we now can no longer doubt or question do we truly belong. We do. The unknowns are known now which is half the fight...

My only Clemson concern is what is Dabo's intentions for his future almost to a fault. Everything I've tried to read from things is he wants to be here for a long time. We're the friggin most fortunate football program in the country. One of you guys must be livin' right

Feb 19, 2016, 12:21 AM

I was so close to watching it the other day, couldn't bring myself to do it. Reading some of these comments has my heart feeling some type of way, seriously...

It does not matter now, they will fix it

Feb 19, 2016, 12:23 AM

and they will fix it big time

Feb 19, 2016, 12:36 AM

Special teams did finally catch up with us but there were about ten or so other plays that if they go differently we pull it out. I still say the injury to Alexander was the biggest break that went Bama's way. If he's in the game in the second half we win the natty. But hey we had a great year and we will be back! Let's get behind the team again this year and make a run at Tampa!

I've been thinking, do you think it's possible the biggest

Feb 19, 2016, 12:55 AM

loss of the team, that was leaving early for the draft last year May be Pinion ( I mean that only in regards to the NCG)? He handed kickoff's correct? It just seems like I remember a lot less returnable punts last year, but maybe I'm wrong....and wayyyy too lazy to look up kick off return %tage in comparison. Just seems if we could've put that one or two kicks out of play, it would've taken return team coverage out of the equation.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic