Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The 2014 "What If" rundown (a bit long) ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

The 2014 "What If" rundown (a bit long) ...

Mar 5, 2014, 10:18 AM

Now that hope is springing eternal in basketball again ...

As we all know, there's only one thing Clemson can do on its own to have a shot at the Dance: beat Pitt. But that feat alone won't get the Tigers onto the Dance Card. By beating Pitt, the RPI Wizard still has us at 58.

Sure, winning a couple of ACC tourney games would likely get us there, but it would help if a handful of folks (like 10 of them) above us could stumble a bit as well.

So, with the help of RPI Wizard and a little too much spare time, here is what happens if 10 teams in our path can lose one more game than expected:

1. Dayton (with expected loss to St. Louis and a tossup loss to Richmond) The Flyers are currently in the upper 40s RPI. A loss to the Billikens (NCAA lock) is expected, but Richmond (another bubble team) could put a serious crimp in Dayton's hopes. End result: Dayton 20-11 (8-8 A10, RPI of 58)

2. Richmond (with expected loss to VCU and win over Dayton) VCU is a lock, but a Richmond win over Dayton wouldn't get them above Clemson in RPI. They'd by 19-12 (9-7 A10) with an rpi of 60.

3-4. Nebraska (with losses to Indiana and Wisconsin) and Indiana (with a split to Nebraska and Michigan). The Huskers would still be viable with a split against these teams. But if Indiana can beat NU at home and Wisconsin dispatches Nebraska as expected, a 17-13 RPI below 60 Nebraska would be less palpable than Clemson. An Indiana split (beat Nebraska, lose to Michigan) keeps Indiana in the 70s RPI at 18-13. We can live with that.

5. Arkansas (with a split of Ole Miss and Bama) Remember when folks considered our loss to Arkansas a bad one? Not now. Arkansas is in the mid 50s, and if they sweep Ole Miss and Bama (which is entirely possible), they'd be in the upper 40s RPI. However, if the Hogs lose either game to inferior competition, they tumble into the 60s.

6. Missouri (with losses to Texas A&M and Tennessee) The other Tigers had had a rough stretch lately, with losses to Georgia and Bama. They're expected to lose to Tennessee as well, an if a weak A&M team can knock Mizzou over, their 20-11 RPI in the mid 60s would dump them well below Clemson.

7. Boise St. At 17-10 and two weak foes to go, the Broncs need to win out just to stay in the mid 50s. A loss to either Nevada or Air Force would plummet their hopes.

8. Cal (18-11, 9-7 PAC 12) has two losable games remaining, vs. Utah and Stanford. Utah is out and Stanford is in, with Cal in the middle. If the Bears drop both, they skid to about 60 or so.

9. Florida State (17-11, 8-8 ACC) Perhaps no team besides Pitt threatens our Dance hopes like the Noles. A week ago, I'd have said a split vs. BC and Syracuse would be likely ... but the Cuse are playing like crap lately. We really need Syracuse (or BC, but I'm not holding my breath there) to return to form and take down FSU. If they can, we slip ahead of FSU in RPI, in conference and in head-to-head. In fact, as York noted the other day, if that happens the Noles sole impressive win would be ... Clemson.

10. Georgetown (17-12, 8-9 Big East) We need to watch the Hoyas ... not for what they've done, but what they can do. With a current RPI in the mid 50s, they just beat Creighton, with Villanova to end the season. A win pushes them into the 40s. A loss drops them closer to 60.

A few other teams that are currently above us aren't worth worrying about, because their opponents won't help them move ahead. La. Tech, San Francisco, St. Mary's and Belmont are all stuck in the 60s, unless the teams ahead of them fall. And if they fall, we all rise....Clemson, however, would rise higher with a Pitt win under its belt.

So .... If we get the help described above, Clemson's RPI should pull the Tigers into the Top 50. Even with the loss to Wake Forest, even with the loss at ND and the loss at Auburn. We have a real chance of being where we need to be.

A win over a weak team in the ACC opener wouldn't help, unless other bubble teams fell in the opening round of their respective conference games.

The second round of the tourney, then would either seal the deal or have us sweating bubbles and bullets on Selection Sunday.

But none of it matters if we don't beat Pitt. Make it so, Tigers!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still can't believe FSU is above us. Makes little sense***

Mar 5, 2014, 10:22 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still can't believe FSU is above us. Makes no sense

Mar 5, 2014, 10:24 AM

sounds like something stupid the NCAA would come up with it is so absurd

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still can't believe FSU is above us. Makes no sense

Mar 5, 2014, 10:26 AM

Georgetown beat Creighton last night. FSU should not be ahead of you.

Fixed: A point for the heads-up!***

Mar 5, 2014, 10:30 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at non-conference schedule and results.

Mar 5, 2014, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Still can't believe FSU is above us. Makes little sense*** ]

Then it should make sense.

What?

Mar 5, 2014, 10:41 AM

So you are telling me they're wins over UMASS and VCU in December out-weigh potentially being 9-9 in the 5th best conference??? Also, none of those 9 wins would be against the top 4, or a top 50 RPI opponent.

So those two wins offset all that?

Or are you saying they are getting credit for losing other game?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

FSU is getting credit for losing to some good teams...

Mar 5, 2014, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Still can't believe FSU is above us. Makes little sense*** ]

primarily Michigan and Florida.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree... but if that is going to be the case... teams

Mar 5, 2014, 10:45 AM

should be penalized for "barely beating a bad team"...

Neither should matter... a loss is a loss, whether against BC or Florida.

Same with a win.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I take that back.... I don't think a win is the same

Mar 5, 2014, 10:46 AM

a loss is a loss...

but a win can be better, depending on the team.

The problem is....

Mar 5, 2014, 10:51 AM [ in reply to I agree... but if that is going to be the case... teams ]

in the RPI's current formulation, Strength of Schedule accounts for 75% of the RPI calculation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention Ws over UMass (RPI 13) and VCU (15)

Mar 5, 2014, 11:17 AM [ in reply to FSU is getting credit for losing to some good teams... ]

They've played 8 games against the RPI Top 25 (compared to our 5), and a total of 15 (compared to our 11) against the RPI top 100.

They also don't have 4 games against teams rated above 300 in the RPI - which should NEVER happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so explain this to me...

Mar 5, 2014, 11:57 AM

FSU lost to some good teams, and they beat UMASS and VCU early. So those two things offset the fact that:

They will likely finish 9-9 in a percieved "weak" ACC, without any wins against the top 4 teams, or a top 50 ACC team...

They will finish a full 2 games behind us. We would have split with them.

All this since Jan. 1.

Wow

Mar 5, 2014, 10:50 AM

Bracket Paralysis. You a night watchman? JC Penny or Sears clerk? BOA security guard? I-185 toll booth cashier?

that's good stuff...

Mar 5, 2014, 10:52 AM

I still think we can take care of business without all that having to happen...

If we can finish 11-7, 5th place, and win 2 ACCT games... I think we're in regardless of FSU. I'd like to see the committee explain that away if we're not.

I also tend to think the ACC will get more credit than "talking heads" think. I don't FSU is as high as people think either.

We can potentially finish a full 2 games ahead of them in conference, with a win over them, and better league wins than them. I think that will help things fall in our favor should be take care of business.

Are you suggesting that both FSU and Clemson could get in***

Mar 5, 2014, 10:58 AM

Sure, but FSU would then be that "6th" ACC team...

Mar 5, 2014, 11:07 AM

...having to have a stellar ACC tourney.

Re: The 2014 "What If" rundown (a bit long) ...

Mar 5, 2014, 10:56 AM

Way to break it down, Rev!

I'm impressed with our ability to wear down teams but I just don't see this team having the shooting capacity to win any tournament games. Maybe in the NIT.

Defense is key when you get to the tourney...

Mar 5, 2014, 11:09 AM

...Let's get there and find out.

Re: Defense is key when you get to the tourney...

Mar 5, 2014, 11:14 AM

I wish you gave us as much time during basketball season as football, btw.

One thing I'm happy to see is the ball control Brownell's squad has exhibited this season. Forcing turnovers has been exciting as well. If that trend continues Clemson can certainly beat anyone.

Thanks for the Epistle Rev.....***

Mar 5, 2014, 10:56 AM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic