Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stay at home construction industry...???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,496

Stay at home construction industry...???

Apr 4, 2020, 7:02 PM

Guys and gals. I am an engineer and sent all the staff to work from home at the beginning of last week. I still go to the office to work with no one there. I work in the construction industry, and contractors are still going gangbusters regionally. Maybe there are extra bottles of sanitizer in the portolets but with Kids out of school, boat ramps closed, manufacturing shutting down, It seems that more would be done to close it down. Yes I know, most workers wear safety glasses and gloves and are usually not within 6’ of one another.....but how/why is there a huge disconnect between construction and what seems like every other industry? I am glad “they” haven’t shut it down, but it just seems strange....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stay at home construction industry...???

Apr 4, 2020, 7:07 PM

augusta courter, quit lying! I know you've had your girlfriend there

Apr 4, 2020, 7:41 PM

The construction industry was gutted in the last recession. I lost what took me 25 years to build. We were hurt more than any other industry. It took me ten years to build it back to 1/4 of the company I had before.

Now I a getting older and can't do it a third time. They saved the banks the first time. It's our tme to be saved. We are going to keep working until they make us stop.

But with unemployment going to all time highs, it won't be long before the developers shut it down.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 9:32 PM

You guys be safe. Nothing wrong with working especially if outside. Rode by one last week and felt it was fine except 5 were sitting in and around the truck eating lunch. 3 sitting on the tail gate... Be safe!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 6:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Stay at home construction industry...??? ]

They’re not gonna bail us out like they did the banks. Not even close. They made the banks whole..... they’re throwing peanuts at us

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Your story is my story

Apr 6, 2020, 7:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Stay at home construction industry...??? ]

I never hired back after the last recession and the last few years have been good. I'm not going broke and in debt again trying to keep everyone working.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 10:36 PM

I work for a subcontractor and we (office) also have been sent to work from home. I go to the office every day to work. There are about 3 or 4 of us that show up (out of about 25). We wave at one another as we head to our respective offices and shut the door.

I go in to feed the warehouse cat, and mostly hoping the owner will keep the doors open as long as people are going in. I could survive for a while, but 2 of the others showing up are hourly and scared to death of a shut down.

We have job sites in Atlanta, Nashville, FL and DC. Only one site has shut down to date. Workers temps are starting to be scanned as they arrive on site.

I spoke to the owner on Thursday. He hopes the sites will remain open through April, but he said he doesn't see it happening. He thinks if they stay open through April, this thing will either be beginning to turn, or the economic situation will be forced to reopen...or everything will collapse.

I have direct communications with some of the nations largest GC's on a daily basis. This past week, my calls and emails went unanswered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 11:39 PM

4 new houses are being built on my street currently. Workers are there every day.

As for anyone buying these new houses, or the pre-existing houses that often must be sold prior to buying the new one, I have no idea how home sales are going. At some point, the glut of new homes is going to become another crisis.

And landlords are getting squeezed right now, as you cannot evict the tenants, and they can decide to not pay the landlord. The landlord often has a mortgage on the property and might have to keep paying that. The landlord still has to provide upkeep on the property, which can devastate the landlord's finances.

Bottom line: It ain't good, and it's gonna get worse for a long time before it gets better.

Apr 5, 2020, 10:00 PM

Not collecting my rent, not going to do anything for the property.

Apr 5, 2020, 2:30 PM

The most relevant construction question is have the Death Valley upgrades started yet?

Apr 5, 2020, 7:05 PM

These construction projects have been funded either by tax dollars or private equity or by a loan. Stopping them would send a ripple through the economy like few other things would. Stopping hair salons and gyms I doubt impact workers, but not like a construction project that stops. It is as much an economic decision as a health decision. I’m a civil engineer and we are work as usual but we can and do work virtually. We have been doing this or a derivative of this for more than 10 years.

Apr 5, 2020, 7:07 PM

Should say no doubt impact workers.

Apr 5, 2020, 7:28 PM

There’s no stay at home order in SC, so...

Apr 5, 2020, 10:25 PM

Elementary school on US 1 in Lexington Co being constructed had more parked vehicles than any other place I went last week--except Lowes or Walmart.

I would guess they're still on a timetable until school district says otherwise.

I'm an engineer in construction as well

Apr 6, 2020, 7:01 AM

we are still busy, had a few jobs canceled, but still busy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,496
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic