Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gurly and Marshall are quite a load
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Gurly and Marshall are quite a load

Aug 21, 2014, 8:15 PM

I believe we will see a steady dose of that .

What do you think ?

I think we handle it, facing an unproven QB on their side .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marshall won't play. He's still banged up and the best case

Aug 21, 2014, 8:27 PM

scenario ive heard out of georgia is he will get around 10 carries but last I heard he wasn't supposed to be good to play until mid season if that. I think we can contain Gurley to an extent but once we start hitting him he will slow down a lot, he showed that will happen last year. He will get his you just have to contain him and not let him run away with it but I'm not worried about that in the least bit with our line and linebackers.

Re: Marshall won't play. He's still banged up and the best case

Aug 21, 2014, 8:30 PM

Marshall is good to go 100%. No limitations at this point.

There's "good to go" and there's good to go

Aug 22, 2014, 1:24 PM

It really depends on which he is. Of course UGA isn't going to say "Yeah, he's still nursing it, he's about 90%. But we are going to play him anyway!"

Re: There's "good to go" and there's good to go

Aug 23, 2014, 8:55 AM

Marshall IS 100%

UGA has a couple of 5 star RB

Aug 21, 2014, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Marshall won't play. He's still banged up and the best case ]

waiting so no shortage for them.

Gurley is much scarier than marshall anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember Gurly from last year

Aug 21, 2014, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Marshall won't play. He's still banged up and the best case ]

He was a beast untill he went out .

I was parked next to an UGA fan and he said that might have been the difference in the game , I just smiled.

Your Intel is of very poor quality

Aug 21, 2014, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Marshall won't play. He's still banged up and the best case ]

Marshall is back without limitation.

That being said Gurley will get the bulk of the work in a similar manner as the USCjr game last year. Gurley got 30 carries and Marshall 7.

Re: Your Intel is of very poor quality

Aug 21, 2014, 9:20 PM

That is Gurley's career high carry mark. Gurley has carried for 25+ in 2 out of his 24 games played. In the games in which he has carried 20+ his average ypc dips to 4.89. Roderick McDowell carried for 5.64 ypc in games where he went over 20 carries last year.

Gurley went for a career high in yards, long run and ypc average against what I would have called one of the better run defenses in the country last year. Don't expect that lightning to strike twice.

Aug 21, 2014, 9:50 PM

I was more referring to the ratio than predicting specific numbers of carries. Gurley should get the bulk of the carries in the big games as he's one of the most dangerous players in all of college football.

Aug 22, 2014, 4:31 AM

Also, if you consider the reason why his numbers were lower, it sort of makes sense. Playing the teams that gave us the most trouble, our offense relied on its most trusted weapons. Gurley not only breaks long runs and delivers on big plays, but he can also play a long hard short gaining football game. He steadily pounds the rock until something opens up, sort of like he did for us in the 2012 SEC championship game. He will definitely be forced to share a lot of carries with our other backs though, because your defense will give them all their fair share of hits.

He still may be affected

Aug 22, 2014, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Your Intel is of very poor quality ]

We've had RBs come back 100% but still being nagged by various things that really impacted their performance.

It remains to be seen whether this will be the case with Marshall.

"Back without limitations" doesn't mean "will perform at the highest level".

Fair enough ...

Aug 22, 2014, 1:31 PM

That being said, while Marshall is a very good RB it's Gurley that is the star of this running game. Every carry that goes to Marshall, Douglas, Michel, or Chubb is a carry taken away from one of the best RBs in the NCAA. The coaching staff knows that, so look for the ratio of carries to fall heavily in Gurley's favor in this game. Marshall and the rest of the backups are just fighting for Gurley's scraps.

I'm sure this will be the case. Just don't let Gurley

Aug 22, 2014, 1:32 PM

get near Boulware or Gore. They have awfully unpleasant dispositions on the field.

Funny enough, there exists many a defender ..

Aug 22, 2014, 1:38 PM

that want no part of Gurley's bruising style after sampling it first hand. I doubt either Gurley, or the Clemson D will be intimidated by a little contact.

It's not a "little" contact, Boulware likes a lot of contact

Aug 22, 2014, 5:29 PM

I don't think you understand this guy. He's not right. I expect him to seek out Gurley like he does with our own.

Re: It's not a "little" contact, Boulware likes a lot of contact

Aug 22, 2014, 10:42 PM

I've seen his high school highlights. Reminds me somewhat of Jeff Luc. Highly ranked due to highlight reel hits, but too stiff overall to make the required lateral movements on a consistent basis.

Stack the box with 8-9, dare their QB and WR's to beat us

Aug 21, 2014, 8:30 PM

I like our chances if that happens

Re: Stack the box with 8-9, dare their QB and WR's to beat us

Aug 21, 2014, 8:34 PM

they will try to dink and dunk us

they will not let their QB stand back there in the pocket for too long

screens, screens, dumps dumps

quick slants et al

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Stack the box with 8-9, dare their QB and WR's to beat us ]

> I like our chances if that happens
But they have the best WR corps in the SEC, have to respect that.

Aug 21, 2014, 8:47 PM

Best WR corps in the SEC ? Is that a threat or something ( lol )? I think BV is gonna force the pass by loading up front , we have the defensive front seven to contain Gurshall and to go upfield against that OLine.
It is our D against their O , that is where this game is decided folks.
On the road in a hostile you must bring the pain defensively , last year they could not and it ended up costing them the opener.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 22, 2014, 9:24 AM

I think if you play physical on the defensive side and hit their receivers in the mouth early and often contain the run and pressure the QB we win this one. If HM has time their wide receivers are good enough to get some separation against our db's.

Aug 22, 2014, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Stack the box with 8-9, dare their QB and WR's to beat us ]

That was the strategy against SC. Hope Mason cant run or pass.

Aug 22, 2014, 9:55 AM

And the strategy would have worked fine if not for turning the ball over 6 times.

Can't put Shaw and Mason in the same sentence

Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Stack the box with 8-9, dare their QB and WR's to beat us ]

Mason doesn't have those wheels that give us trouble.

They'll run it at us till we stop them.***

Aug 21, 2014, 9:07 PM

The problem will not be stopping the run

Aug 21, 2014, 10:08 PM

Bit if we can stop it without having to completely selling out and stacking the box causing us to get burned down field.

We don't want to see anything similar to the coot game last year where we completely stop the RB but got burned down field and ran on by the QB. I don't know how much mason can run but I'm sure he could pick up some yards on a wide open side of the field.

If we can stop gurshall without stacking the box then we will be achieving something and it will be a long night for the dawgs.

This man knows football

Aug 22, 2014, 9:17 AM

Stop the run with base D not 8 in the box.

Maybe not "in the box", but a safety needs to be watching

Aug 22, 2014, 9:29 AM

for the screens and QB scrambles... I think we'll do well against the run, but my question is more about the play action options....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shaw was a slimey scrambler

Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM [ in reply to The problem will not be stopping the run ]

Mason can't do what he did.

I am looking forward to the challenge

Aug 21, 2014, 10:12 PM

I can't wait to see what our defense is going to do this year.

Re: Gurly and Marshall are quite a load

Aug 22, 2014, 12:34 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Brendan Douglas RB at UGA. I think he's better than Marshall, plus he will be the #2 Rb behind Gurley in our game. I hope our D respects him as much as I do. Otherwise, the dawgs will wear us out on D with that RUN game. I hope I'm wrong.

As for the initial question - Yes - if UGA is to win this game, they MUST run, run, and run some more. I doubt they hurt us very much thru the air. We must contain those 2 RB's. PERIOD.

Aug 22, 2014, 7:25 AM

Thru the air I guess is semantics. We can hurt you thru the air throwing 5 to 10 yard wheel/swing routes. That will probably be what we try to do with Marshall.

Aug 22, 2014, 8:27 AM

The problem for Marshall is - he might not be 100% ready for our game - and probably won't be a real problem after a few hits. I disagree on Marshall - as he will be a non-factor in OUR game. Maybe he will be more effective later in the season when he has some PT behind him. But that's JMO.

Aug 22, 2014, 9:52 AM

Honestly dont know what to expect from Marshall until we see him suit up. He has said to be 100% since the summer and from all reports is in great shape.

Douglas, Michel, and Chubb could all contribute as well if Marshall isnt 100%...not lacking at RB this year if we stay healthy.

Aug 23, 2014, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Gurly and Marshall are quite a load ]

Maybe he will be more effective later in the season when he has some PT behind him. But that's JMO.

Exactly how i feel about clemson's offense

Aug 22, 2014, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Gurly and Marshall are quite a load ]

Alexander and Tankersley are both rookies.....not skeered.

You're right... They're not.***

Aug 22, 2014, 9:30 AM

Everyone will know M. Alexander's name after this game

Aug 22, 2014, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Gurly and Marshall are quite a load ]

Enjoy facing him. That redshirt year did him a lot of good.

Re: Everyone will know M. Alexander's name after this game

Aug 23, 2014, 8:54 AM

neither has ever started a college game......Tankersley did play 21 snaps on special teams last year. our vets at WR should dominate.

Gurley and Marshall Can Take Quite A Load***

Aug 22, 2014, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Gurly and Marshall are quite a load ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Aug 22, 2014, 7:52 AM

Nobody is as big a load as Peters though.

Here's the way I see it.

Aug 22, 2014, 12:25 PM

According to everyone including me, our defense is one of the best. With our strengths being our line and linebackers I just can't see UGA just running over us.

Does anyone thing their defense will hold our offense as well as our defense will hold their offense?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's the way I see it.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:00 PM

>
> Does anyone thing their defense will hold our offense
> as well as our defense will hold their offense?

Yes. Both defenses have veteran, athletic front sevens with questionable secondaries. Both offenses have new but veteran starting QBs with good WRs returning. The main difference is the running game. UGA returns a formidable one, and Clemson's is a question mark.

Grady Jarrett is quite a load too***

Aug 22, 2014, 7:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic