Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spring Game Thoughts - Defense (not so long...also late)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Spring Game Thoughts - Defense (not so long...also late)

Apr 13, 2015, 2:49 AM

Took me awhile to get back to this...apologies.

Anyhow, this will be briefer, mostly because I was mostly checking my program watching the D, and they pretty much got owned. They showed enough flickers of life that I remain convinced we will find ourselves a viable starting 11, and pretty soon...but last year's D, with its insane loaded 2-deep depth, is now largely about to be drafted.

So instead of concentrating on the negatives, I figured I'd put it more like: here's what we got...and here's what we're still looking for.

POSITIONS I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT
We're fine - actually a lot better than fine - at strongside end, safety, SAM, and one cornerback spot, that being the spot occupied by Mackenzie Alexander. The last is a leap of faith unsupported by any visible evidence. Truthfully I do not know how good Mackenzie Alexander actually is. I'm told he's a good football player. But ESPN analysts looking for Mackenzie Alexander college football footage to flash to viewers for their future draft-day show are going to have to go back to the FSU game last year...that being the only time I can actually recall anyone throwing a pass at him, or completing one. And he slipped and fell down. Other than that...nada. And that trend continued yesterday. He's basically a black hole on his side of the field; QB's do not even look in that direction anymore. It could be there actually is no Mackenzie Alexander, just a particularly clever holographic projection that Clemson's engineering department whipped up that stays glued to its wide receiver so tightly the QB believes there isn't room enough to slip a sheet of paper, much less a pass, in there. Kind of an existential question: can a player with zero highlight film - of any kind - be drafted in the first round? We may find out. Jayron Kearse is also just a mutant...he can ballhawk, he can hit, he can cover, and he's 6'4" and glides around like an outsized corner. Safeties are not ordinarily a high-round draft commodity; Kearse will be.

Conventional wisdom should have held - when you lose out on uber-blue-chip prospects like Robert Nkimdiche and then Carl Lawson to SEC bagmen, and then graduate two seniors with NFL potential in Corey Crawford and Tavarres Barnes - that you're going to have a hole there, but that actually did not appear to be the case. Kevin Dodd looked very strong and Ebenezer Okundeko might have looked even stronger...if anybody actually blocked Ebo yesterday, I didn't see it. Ebo assuredly made a Statement yesterday. He can set the edge, he can speed-rush, he can swim and counter inside. He will make a great deal of money doing all that professionally some day. On the weakside, Shaq Lawson is, well, Shaq Lawson and while he played surprisingly sparingly other than maybe that Mackenzie Alexander Holographic Corner still looked like arguably the top player on the defense. I was also happy with what I saw of DJ Reader at DT; he's emerged as a full-on hoss. Also was very, very happy with our strongside/nickel situation - Wiggins and O'Daniel are live wires, fly around the field, hit like trucks, and can run and cover. I was also reasonably impressed by our corners opposite Alexander, especially Tankersley. None of them are The Hologram, but there's some good size and more than a bit of athleticism on the back end. Ben Boulware had a quiet outing, by his usual car-crash standards, but it also looked like he was getting caught in the wash more than he was used to because his DT's weren't covering him like we're used to seeing.

So we have some answers.

WHERE WE STILL GOT NEEDS....
Other than Reader, I wasn't super-impressed with what I saw from our DT's, which is a concern. I think the 2-deep there is very much going to remain a work in progress through the first few games of the season. Scott Pagano looks like he can deadlift a tank but I saw him getting stood up a lot and not getting a ton of penetration, so the jury is still out there. Carlos Watkins seemed quiet for the most part. Albert Huggins did show some ability to penetrate when moved inside and could factor sooner rather than later unless some vets emerge, but that's a work-in-progress...I also saw Huggins get rooted out and roller-skated a couple times. Jabril Robinson is another guy the jury's still out on...looks the part, but nobody's remotely confusing him with Grady Jarrett yet. Weakside end behind Lawson is another concern...as one of my buddies commented, the biggest problem with replacing Vic Beasley with Shaq Lawson, is that Shaq Lawson can't back up Shaq Lawson. None of the potentials in line for that spot put their name up in lights yesterday...well, other than Ebo, who could well wind up backing up both positions. The young LB's - Joseph, Rodgers, Williams, and especially Chad Smith - bound around, show athletic potential, and very much look the part, and there were times you'd see them flash the gap and arrive with intent and plant someone and leave you feeling that all was well with the world...and then there were other times when they, predictably, zigged instead of zagged, busted an assignment or got trucked on a tackle - I watched CJ Davidson carry a couple of rather surprised-looking newbs into the end zone at one point, and The Gallman kind of waded through the LB's like a kaiju from Pacific Rim cruising up the Miracle Mile. Ugly. At which point I really started feeling melancholy about Tony Steward and especially Stephone Anthony again. So we're going to have some teething pains.

The biggest difference I saw, between this year's D and last year's, is that that overall level of supreme confidence and flawless relentless put-the-screws-to-you execution just isn't there yet. Last year was 11 great players backed up by 11 more great-to-good players. This year...well. There's just a whole lot more squiggles and question marks and white-out dribbled all over the depth chart, and it looks like there will be for awhile yet. They aren't...sloppy, and there looks like there's a fair bit of physical talent - there's certainly some guys out there who look like they might well become legit football players - but the whole isn't equaling the sum of the parts yet. I don't think we're in any danger of reverting to 2011 Orange Bowl form, but we also aren't going to be the #1 defense in college football next year either. I definite got the impression that keyboard commandos who are fond of invective like "great teams don't rebuild, they RELOAD!" might find themselves somewhat stressed the first month or so of the season; to my mind the biggest question is what these guys are looking like in midseason.

Dunno how much this review is really worth, since it mostly comes back as various shades of "work in progress" and "grade incomplete"...as you'd expect from a unit in the Spring that just lost so many critical components. I definitely walked away with the definite sense that we're going to need to win some shootouts early, especially against the likes of Louisville in Week 3.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spring Game Thoughts - Defense (not so long...also late)

Apr 13, 2015, 3:23 AM

First,mthank you for taking the time to share this with all of us. It is much appreciated.

Also, I agree... by week 3 we are going to need to be settling in as a team. And a tough three week stretch that will kick off. But as a bit of a challenge, I am really intrigued by BV's vocal endorsement of this bunch on defense. He has never seemed the kind to blow smoke or even offer the normal coach speak, so his seeming confidence compels me to be curiously optimistic about the defense. There will definitely be growing pains, but I think we are gonna be fine. Just a hunch.

Anywho, thanks again for your insights from the spring game!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks again for your efforts. I suppose this will be one of

Apr 13, 2015, 6:28 AM

those times when a leader will have to earn his pay.

And in BV I have complete confidence....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2015, 6:41 AM

Good observations, but with split squads it's tough to gauge. I do believe we'll have to score some points, and it appears we have that covered. Also, this year we have the good fortune of opening with two games against teams that aren't Georgia. We'll be fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

If your major concern is DT

Apr 13, 2015, 6:41 AM

We'll be more than fine. If Okundeko becomes a disruptive force, our defense is going to be strong again

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: If your major concern is DT

Apr 13, 2015, 6:50 AM

The way I see it, our offense is going to be hard to stop, putting pressure on other teams to keep up. I think this will play into the hands of the NO FLY ZONE and take the pressure OFF our run defense. Its going to be a fun year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If your major concern is DT

Apr 13, 2015, 7:55 AM

We will be, not only just fine, I bet we will be very impressive on both sides of the ball. I can see with our Offense scoring early and often, opponents will have to air it out much more, and our pass D and rush should be very capable. I see the defense being very good, and our team being very solid and balanced. Good things are in our future. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2015, 7:18 AM

Another great read, I thank you for this. I'm hoping the ease of the first two games will allow the team to find itself and settle into those roles hopefully in time for that third game. Stephone Anthony has greatness in him, he'll be ok.

Yeah we don't have enough depth yet on D to split them up

Apr 13, 2015, 8:17 AM

The starting 11 will be more then fine imo. It's the backups we have to let grow up. Also Goodson didn't play and having him beside Boulware will be a huge boon. Also I can't wait for Mark Fields and Christian Wilkins to get on campus. Both will avoid a RS and both are impact players that will immediately help from a depth standpoint.

Re: Yeah we don't have enough depth yet on D to split them up

Apr 13, 2015, 8:34 AM

One more point. In a spring game, coaches see a lot more than the fans.. Besides, by now they are tired of hitting their teammates. Most spring games when I was a manager showed nothing. Come fall when the starting positions are finally up for grabs and they know they will soon get to hit someone else, it will be different. Enjoy downtime.

Apr 13, 2015, 8:59 AM

Dunno how much this review is really worth, since it mostly comes back as various shades of "work in progress" and "grade incomplete"...as you'd expect from a unit in the Spring that just lost so many critical components. I definitely walked away with the definite sense that we're going to need to win some shootouts early, especially against the likes of Louisville in Week 3.

here is what that is worth. zeeeeeeeero. you got all of that by watching a scrimmage huh. with no replays and no tv coverage. you must be some kind of talent scout. chances are we will not be the best d in the country but there is plenty of talent on that side of the ball. and wilkins and a couple more guys are not even there. but if you have minions that hang on every word of that drivel, congrats. you do write very well.

Apr 13, 2015, 9:08 AM

WHAT IF THE ASSUMPTION IS ALREADY THAT THE SPRING GAME PROVIDES MINIMAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR REAL EVALUATION AND THAT WE SHOULD TAKE QUOZZEL'S EVALUATIONS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT?

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

You misspelled "GRADE OF SLAW".***

Apr 13, 2015, 9:32 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 13, 2015, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Spring Game Thoughts - Defense (not so long...also late) ]

deroberts: I get your point and agree but believe you're being a little too harsh on the writer. no question this year's D will not equal last year's. However, from what I saw on offense I'd say--good luck stopping the tigers in 2015 which means that even with some drop off in our D, we will still be laying the wood to most teams. If this D gets respectable sooner than later, who the he... is going to stop us. My answer is simple, no one!! Go Tigers--ALL THE WAY IN 2015!!!

Apr 13, 2015, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Spring Game Thoughts - Defense (not so long...also late) ]

Serious question. Do you have aspergers?

^^^ misspelled A$$ Purger ^^^***

Apr 13, 2015, 9:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2015, 11:45 AM

I appreciate your eval. Much like our Head Coach, I usually don't evaluate the Spring Game. Reason? Well it is a "bi-polar" situation. Take the 2014 Spring Game. Last year, we were worried about how awful the offensive line looked against our defense. Going into the game, Coach said, and I paraphrase, "you won't see a drop off from our first 11 to our second 11 on defense." What did we NOT see? A difference between the first and second defense. And we saw not many answers from our offense. How did the season go? 10-3, a walk around Death Valley Thanksgiving weekend, a blowout of Oklahoma, near win verses FSU, and "collapse" against UGa in the 4th, and three pick 6's separated a win in Atlanta. So if you are asking me am I worried about our defense from the Spring Game performance? Not all that much.

They are some areas that need to be addressed but it just seems to me that clearly our offense will be mind boggling to most that have to play against us. And that was without Deshaun Watson pulling the trigger. I would also venture to think, listening on the radio, that the speed at which the plays were being put in against our defense and executed was as fast as an AR-15 could dislodge bullets from the magazine through the casing and out of the barrel of the gun. Now unless I see Oregon on the schedule, I am not concerned with teams moving the plays that quickly.

My biggest concern isn't the pass rush. It is run defense, and again we have a stable of running backs that sound like teams will hate more than our WRs next year, but given their totals from Saturday, we must be able to stop that before we worry about QB pressure. That was our niche last year. The defense's ability to make teams throw on mixed downs because 1st and 10 became 2nd and 9 or 11 and sometimes more yards lost after first down. And your concern there is mine. I didn't hear it and according to your evaluation, you didn't see it. Now, that could just mean that that O-line will be moving walls for Wayne and company to splice through much like "the Hoggs" of the 1980's Washington Redskins teams. Or it could be the "mixed teams" situation, or it could be that we need more work with the interior.

Our answers to all your questions will come after Fall versus Wofford. They run that "Wing-T" style offense. If they look good and stop it, I won't worry too much about Louisville. If they are still gaps or lapses, I will definitely be concerned. Still, all in all, I am still ALL IN with my Tigers!

Apr 14, 2015, 2:46 AM

I would prefer we ran at M4 paces. Pew pew pew insted of pew, you feel me?

Apr 13, 2015, 9:12 PM

quozzel I think you have a sharp eye and I appreciate your insights and work. Well Done! I agree, the D is a work in progress but I'm heartened that we were playing split teams. The starging D will be far stronger and coming out of fall camp I feel sorry for App. State and Wofford. Their teeth will have been cut and we'll have another top five D!

Go Tigers!

Apr 13, 2015, 9:50 PM

It's called a Post, not a 3 page report. I'm sure Dabo and co. Sit up at night, thinking about your concerns

Apr 13, 2015, 10:12 PM

Thanks again Q, and +1 to you sir...your observations are much appreciated, and much better than reading posts from the Jack Leggett and Brad Brownell dumpers. I agree wholeheartedly with your critique. At this point in the offseason, in conjunction with a depleted front 7 and and split spring game defenders, it's tough to gauge an outlook on 2015. No one is expecting us to live up to the hype of the 2014 D, and rightfully so, but we have recruited well, and our guys got plenty of experience reps last season. I expect nothing less than a top 20 D. The main thing is finding leadership and managing to gel as a unit. With the 2014 leaders only 4 months removed we can expect this, but summer skills and drills and fall camp will provide those leaders an opportunity to develop this group the way we need them to...with DS and BV and company coaching hard, I expect nothing less. Couple that with hungry players like Mack, Jayron, Shaq, Goodson, Wiggins, Johnson, Boulware, Reader and Watkins all potentially looking to make a name for themselves and make that jump to the next level, we will see several leaders step up by fall. With all of that said, I see all positions being just fine. Obviously we have more experience in the back 7, and that will only help a DL that may be lacking. Keep in mind our DL was great last year, but the secondary helped the cause more than you think. BV's scheme relies on S, CB and LB blitzes and stunts to set the edge, stop the run and disguise coverages. We can expect the same this year, and that will only help the DL get pressure. Make no mistake, we are very talented and experienced on the DL with Reader, Pagano, Watkins, Dodd and Lawson. Add in RS's Yeargin, Aiken, Ogundeko, Robinson and newcomers Wilkins, Ferrell, Johnson, Bryant and Davis and I'm sure by week 3 we can find a very, very talented 2 deep that would not surprise me to see us in the top 10 defensively by seasons end. Just my opinion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic