Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spring Breakers in Florida
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Spring Breakers in Florida

Mar 17, 2020, 7:37 PM

Selfish
Definitely some of the blame is on the parents.
TheGov., needs to take responsibility for this too. Ridiculous folks aren’t taking this more seriously, am I overreacting?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spring Breakers in Florida

Mar 17, 2020, 7:45 PM

No, not overreacting. If all this saves one precious life for another day, then it will have been worth. And as Dr. B exclaimed, hopefully this sets a precedent on what we can set as a new norm during all times... Hence we'll stem even more unnecessary deaths due to other strains of viruses. Time for people to wake up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 8:27 PM

We’ve come a long way from Live Free or Die, that’s for sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

For sure: we ended slavery, gave women the vote,

Mar 17, 2020, 11:10 PM

.etc. BTW, the original quote is "Live Free or Die (if you are a free white landowner)"

Mar 17, 2020, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Spring Breakers in Florida ]

I figured it would be easy, they could have just played video games all day. Who knew.??. Really just shows how selfish we’ve become.

Mar 17, 2020, 7:47 PM

youngsters do not care. I hope they leave our beaches soon.

Mar 17, 2020, 7:48 PM

where's the red tide when you need it.

Especially with Florida having a very large elderly population.

Mar 17, 2020, 8:31 PM

Exactly! Don’t any of these kids have grandparents, geez.

The worst part is that they come from all over to Florida

And will go all over the country when they go back home

Re: The worst part is that they come from all over to Florida

Mar 17, 2020, 7:50 PM

exactly.

Re: The worst part is that they come from all over to Florida

Mar 17, 2020, 7:53 PM

Too bad the beaches, if normal,would be a perfect place because of the heat and sun ultraviolet rays kill virus and salt water bacteria. we would have a picnic by ourselves away from anyone else.

not overreacting based on current situation, but I do have one question

Mar 17, 2020, 7:50 PM

For some insight into people’s thinking. The Flu has a vaccine, but still killed over 20,000 last years flu season. Is that a number we as a country are fine with? Should we treat the flu the same and not risk giving it to the susceptible, or would that impact our lives too much to self quarantine every flu season to save a life? Just curious on public perception of the new flu type virus to the current.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not overreacting based on current situation, but I do have one question

Mar 17, 2020, 7:54 PM

this potential; to kill 2 million

I understand the potential, and I think the country is doing the right thing

Mar 17, 2020, 7:58 PM

But there are a lot of comments noting that the basis is that if you could save one life you do your part. Just curious why that thinking goes out of the window in a lesser circumstance. So I guess the answer is yes, 20,000 deaths is acceptable?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Up front I agree with the all the precautions we are taking

Mar 18, 2020, 7:27 AM

right now to combat COVID-19 because we don't really know how deadly this disease can be. So far, COVID-19 has shown to be much easier to spread with a higher rate of infection per exposure than the flu and I think that is the main driving force behind all these shut-down, stay at home measures.

You do make a good point about the "if you could save one life" cliche that is over used and in most cases is a cheap appeal to emotion. If we stopped allowing tobacco and alcohol consumption - we could save at least one life. If we banned high sodium and fatty fast foods - we could save at least one life. If we stopped driving cars - we could save at least one life. These are just a few of the things we could do that would "save just one life" - so why aren't we doing it?

The truth is that a certain amount of "death" is acceptable and expected if we are going to live in a free modern society where people are allowed to make choices. So I usually don't buy any argument whose main premise is "if just one life is saved it is worth it". The real question is: At what point does the number of "deaths" from something become unacceptable and require changes in behavior or limits on our freedom?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry 57,000 deaths last year

Mar 17, 2020, 8:07 PM [ in reply to not overreacting based on current situation, but I do have one question ]

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/04/us-flu-still-elevated-dropping-deaths-high-57000

Re: Sorry 57,000 deaths last year

Mar 17, 2020, 8:16 PM

Yes. Dr. B is hoping it will translate into a new normal. No one takes it serious and most of the ones that don't take it seriously are the employers themselves... The people that can afford to stay at home but think their prissy buts are too important to the company to stay home when they're sick... Or the guys that go to bars thinking a beer will help their fever.

Sorry, I've long had a pet peeve over peeps coming to work sick. At this day and time, it's too easy to shelter at home and check email if you are sick.

Hoping this wakes people up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not overreacting based on current situation, but I do have one question

Mar 17, 2020, 8:36 PM [ in reply to not overreacting based on current situation, but I do have one question ]

If anything, I hope this is really a wake up call MoneyMike. I totally understand how bad the different strains of flu can be. Years back my 1 yr old son tested positive for h1n1. Thank God he survived it. Both my youngest boys battled the flu. We all have to do better.

Mar 17, 2020, 8:18 PM

Exactly how is the government responsible for idiots not following advice? We aren't under martial law.

they could have officially closed the beaches***

Mar 17, 2020, 8:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Spring Breakers in Florida ]

Apparently we should be. But Trump is “Literally Hitler.” So, a dilemma.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 17, 2020, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Spring Breakers in Florida ]

Florida is a known spring break destination. Governor DeSantis did some very good things, closing bars and Restaurants for 30 days. This is Spring season. I think it would have been better to just shut the beaches down, just my opinion. It wouldn’t have hurt the situation.
Sometimes we gotta save the idiots from themselves to save others.

Mar 18, 2020, 11:50 AM

"Sometimes we gotta save the idiots from themselves to save others.

Thank you, Chairman Mao.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Spring Breakers in Florida ]

We will be in 2 weeks...The bars and restaurants first...Then the gubbmint padlocks the gas stations...See how far you can go on 20 gal.

Mar 17, 2020, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Spring Breakers in Florida ]

We are interested in saving people who might come into contact with idiots.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes Overreacting***

Mar 17, 2020, 9:32 PM

Mar 17, 2020, 11:11 PM

I had to go to Home Depot to get some items to fix one of my horse fences. What I noticed was that the place was almost empty actually more people working than shopping. While there I followed all the precautions and when I left, I disinfected my hands.

My next stop was to pick up grain for the horses and it was the same - more workers than customers.

Although, there were very few people in the stores, I observed high school and college aged students everywhere on the road. They are out and about, hanging with their friends and doing what that age does now. We and they may have been better off if they had stayed in clean, disenfected schools rather than being out and going every where.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Place blame on hotels not giving refunds.

Mar 18, 2020, 3:38 AM

I tried to cancel a trip in June and was basically told "tough ####"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 11:37 AM

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/09/why-flu-vaccines-so-often-fail

If flights/hotels are already paid for - it's hard to just

Mar 18, 2020, 11:55 AM

"eat" that investment.

That said - I do get the vibe from my 19-year-old son and his friends that it's only killing old people, so why do we care? (They haven't said that out loud - but that's just the feeling I get when talking with them...)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic