Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's talk Vinyl and Record Players. I have some vinyl from
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Let's talk Vinyl and Record Players. I have some vinyl from

Oct 30, 2020, 9:42 AM

my time in Clemson where we hosted late night dance parties in D Square using used vinyl purchased from Manifest/Black Dog or the other record store that was upstairs near Sloan Street Tap room or something like that. ANyways, I have a standalone record player/CD/Radio/Tape player that sucks. The sound is really crappy. I started buying new vinyl and now I need a better player to pump my tunes. Those of you with vinyl setups, what are you using? I assume I need an expensive turntable with expensive speakers, but we are taking baby steps here.

Side note, new vinyl purchases:

Widespread Panic - WOOD Box Set
Widespread Panic - Live at ACL (Orange Splatter Vinyl)
Widespread Panic - Bombs & Butterflies
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds
Sturgill Simpson - Cuttin' Grass (Green & Yellow Vinyl)
Shovels & Rope - By Blood (Red Vinyl)

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nerd***

Oct 30, 2020, 9:43 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not seeing that in my search. Can you provide

Oct 30, 2020, 9:44 AM

DDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ NNNNNNNNNUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ a chin to rest on?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should be moderately painful to be this hipster.***

Oct 30, 2020, 9:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There should be risk with it. Like, you become a hipster

Oct 30, 2020, 10:42 AM

and there's a 42% chance your rectum prolapses.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's extremely painful, like the ring in LOTR made the

Oct 30, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to It should be moderately painful to be this hipster.*** ]

wearer pay a hefty price.

Like if you decide to sous vide, you must make do with an electric cooktop and man-made countertops.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got my old technics turntable

Oct 30, 2020, 9:47 AM

If you have a more modern amp, check and make sure it has a phono input. If not, you'll need to get a preamp. (Don't mess with the built in preamps that some new turntables come with---they'll let you play your tunes, but the sound levels suck)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife's got a lot of records and I bought her one of these

Oct 30, 2020, 9:52 AM

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATLP60RED&ref=PLA&omid=103&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=CSE&utm_item=ATLP60RED

Connects through RCA inputs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My turntable is fine, but the

Oct 30, 2020, 9:52 AM

receiver I've got has too much carbo built up or something. I either need to find a different old receiver or scrap the big speaker idea and go back to my sound bar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sony turntable with Bluetooth.......

Oct 30, 2020, 10:01 AM

Connects to my Bose speakers. Great.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's my plan

Oct 30, 2020, 10:27 AM

currently don't have a record player, but my strategy:
1 - get a sick record player
1note: my dad told me it's all about the needle (and the spoooooooooooooooon) so that's where imma start.
2 - get Sonos Amp with HDMI input to plug into record player
3 - have the headiest, purest jams throughout entire estate.

in srs tho...looking to get a turn table my self. already have the sonos infrastructure throughout the house

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Low tech, bottom line answer, as it appears to me:

Oct 30, 2020, 10:37 AM

Go with Murcie's idea unless you happen to know that your current amp and speakers can already get more sound than that, in which case another $100 to $150 is an easy fidelity upgrade. IE, if you have a Yamaha and vintage Advents, maybe spend a bit more, but if its bookshelves, Murcie's turntable looks like a great deal. Great find by him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're going to have to smoke a metric ton of weed

Oct 30, 2020, 10:49 AM

to listen to all that ####, so really, it won't matter what the sound quality is.

I bet if I looked in my parents attic they have a 1981 Emerson all in once 8 track/cassette/turntable/ AM/FM stereo with 3' tall boxed, blown 8 ohm, 6" speakers. That'll all sound GREAT with your musical selections. It can be yours for $7.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as old's cool as I am about most things, I ain't going back

Oct 30, 2020, 11:00 AM

to vinyl and a turntable. I'm leaving my old turntable and remaining vinyl albums in the basement, cause I can't figure out what to do with them.

BTW, since you like to buy albums based on the vinyl color, search our Dave Mason's 1970 classic, with the "marble splash vinyl", commonly referred to as the vomit album.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVE-MASON-ALONE-TOGETHER-Marble-Splash-Vinyl-1970-LP-Blue-Thumb-BTS-19/254761911217?hash=item3b50fe43b1:g:H5wAAOSwIlhfm1Dm

Leon piano here. Dave could rilly wah wah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsyXWIBGgQ&list=PLITWtxIzxzjMmL-4ye-sMsQI1JOQiBRHM&index=4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Papa G does not understand the love of vinyl

Oct 30, 2020, 12:20 PM

but Papa G remembers ruining a LP with one scratch of the needle - and snap crackle and pop all the time. Maybe new vinyl is better?

That being said, I would rather drive a stick if given the choice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snap crackle and pop, now yous speakin Obed's language

Oct 30, 2020, 12:21 PM

dawg....unnnnnghhhhh!

Old Slac replaced the belt on his old old old

Oct 30, 2020, 12:49 PM

Technics turntable and got it back workin. Tried pluggin it in to FIL old Marantz so I could be super cool hipster ####...but nogo and can't find anyone to repair the Marantz. $50 pre-amp and plugged into the Onkyo and BOOM went the dynamite.

Mrs. Old Slac's folks had an awesome vinyl collection...favorite find so far? Atlanta Rhythm Section baby!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No eye deer. But lil'APM got into vinyl and APM had some of

Oct 30, 2020, 1:02 PM

his old LP records in storage. It definitely upped APM's hip dad bona fides when lil'APM saw APM's original Never Mind the Bullocks and London Callings. Not to mention his Hendrix, Doors, Zep, and Pink Floyd LPs. First new vinyl lil'APM bought was some Pink Floyd. #proud. Also, that sh* t is expensive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic