Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why look past wins & losses if a team has two top ten wins?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 905

Why look past wins & losses if a team has two top ten wins?

Dec 3, 2015, 5:12 PM

Why look at the SOS against the top 30 or whatever ESPiN is selling this week? Why not look at just the top 25 or look at all 128? Heck, it's not a big deal so throw in the 125 FCS teams too.

The FPI and BCS formulas are computer models which generate statistics.

Here, " Statistics is the theory and application of mathematics to the scientific method including hypothesis generation, experimental design, sampling, data collection, data summarization, estimation, prediction and inference from those results to the population from which the experimental sample was drawn. This article lists statisticians who have been instrumental in the development of theoretical and applied statistics."

If you have any experience with statistics you'd know that a larger sample generates a more accurate stat.

Instead of ESPiN FPI or SOS of the top 30 lets look at Strength of Hype:

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somewhere along the line, or many lines, you lost me...***

Dec 3, 2015, 5:14 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Somewhere along the line, or many lines, you lost me...***

Dec 3, 2015, 5:15 PM

There's something special about understand the how behind Stats. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2015, 5:30 PM

Let me run that thru the flux capacitor and see what it says

Dec 3, 2015, 5:57 PM

> Let me run that thru the flux capacitor and see what
> it says

Someone doesn't know what a flux capacitor does...

Re: Why look past wins & losses if a team has two top ten wins?

Dec 3, 2015, 5:16 PM

Farggin jabroni's

Dood...

Dec 3, 2015, 5:19 PM

That hurt my brain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Why look past wins & losses if a team has two top ten wins?

Dec 3, 2015, 6:16 PM

Like you said, it has everything to do with the SEC! It owns ESPN and pretty much all of College Football's media interests. The 2014 Pre-season rankings were not much different, like the Coots at #9 to start their 7-6 season. Bet the Ole Ball Sac thought he was going to be happy at his job for a while. It will take a decade of no natty's for the SEC to even get away from the stereotype the media has placed on the SEC as being the best conference.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, let me make this much more complicated for complainers.

Dec 3, 2015, 8:46 PM

You need to know how much grain a railroad car can transport without exceeding the safe weight limit.

You don't want to fill the car and weight but you know how many cubic feet, yards, or inches the car holds. You can't weigh one cubic foot of grain and do the math. You have to weigh every many cubic feet of grain from many different parts of your storage. They all won't weigh the same due to moisture or dryness because some is exposed to the surface and some isn't.

You take a sample of grain from different locations in your storage facility and do the math to find the average weight of a cubic foot of your grain. Surely to heysus you can do that.

That's almost exactly what ESPiN's formula does except that they don't weigh grain from all locations of their grain. They include 30 because it's exactly the sample that makes Alabama look like the best team in the FPI formula.

They can put the railroad car on a scale and start filling it with grain until it reaches the limit allowed by safety or the law.

Replies: 8
| visibility 905
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic