Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful

Oct 14, 2015, 2:37 PM

Don't stone me, but I'm not the biggest Dabo fan. Admittedly, the WV loss and the 5 straight to the chickens caused me to waver, but I've come along way since 2011.

And even I can proudly say there is a HUGE difference between Dabo and Tommy. Dabo doesn't wilt in the face of difficulty. He doesn't dwell on the past- good or bad. And most importantly, he believes in Clemson 100%.

I respect Tommy. He cleaned the program, spearheaded facility improvements, and increases graduation rates. He is a fine human being. He just wasn't a great football coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful

Oct 14, 2015, 2:44 PM

I know I'll get killed for this, but I would argue that we don't have the current success we have without foundational work by Tommy, which goes beyond the hiring of Dabo. I think Tommy deserves more praise than derision, but I know I'm probably alone in that regard. Clemson standards improved under his reign, but he wasn't able to take that next step. All said, I'd say he was a good coach at Clemson.

Fire away!

I believe all of that is fair to say***

Oct 14, 2015, 2:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you know, that's pretty smrt

Oct 14, 2015, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful ]

i can follow that.

but kinda like the job world, results are all that matter.

there is a quote in the pistol pete movie that says something along the lines of "it all comes down to the win/loss column"

And that is why he's gone. Luckily for us,

Oct 14, 2015, 3:15 PM

the trigger was pulled quick enough the good Tommy did wasn't wasted. Luckily for us, we got a guy who seems to be the right guy and at the very least, will adapt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not really

Oct 14, 2015, 3:53 PM [ in reply to you know, that's pretty smrt ]

"Results are all that matters"

I agree with this sentiment, but in the business world often those results are not "wins" and "losses" as discreet events but rather cultural changes and leadership that help transform an organization into a healthier entity. Some folks do very very well at that transformation but have ceilings as to the level they can take an org. The are respected for their ability to lead to that point and are sought for that skill set.

I think Bowden falls into that category. He managed us into the right direction. And for that I shake his hand and wish him well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2015, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful ]

I've always thought Tommy couldn't do what Dabo's done but Dabo probably couldn't have done what Tommy did. I also think Tommy's desire was to eventually settle back into a CEO type role and never had the staff to do it which ultimately cost him his job.

Oct 14, 2015, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful ]

I'm with you... I appreciate what Tommy did for Clemson and view him as a successful part of the Clemson family. How much better have any other Clemson coaches faired that sets our standard so high that we should look down our noses at the job Bowden did here? During hi tenure weren't we consistently ranked right where our investments said we should be?

Right on. And if anyone was around for the Tommy West years

Oct 14, 2015, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful ]

They wouldn't complain so much about Tommy Bowden. If you think he was bad, he got us out of the doldrums and back to actually being able to recruit and having the resources to do so. Too much CTB hate on this board for some reason. Next to Terry Don Phillips, you can probably thank Tommy for where we are today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: Right on. And if anyone was around for the Tommy West years

Oct 15, 2015, 2:59 PM

I think attheesso is actually Tommy Bowden...

Crump <3 $EC

I think you nailed it. IMO without TB's input into our football

Oct 15, 2015, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Sometimes I think Tommy Bowden has no clue why he wasn't successful ]

Program and the solid foundation he left for Dabo to build on I don't think we would be having the success we are having now. I will go a step further and say if TB had the same financial resources that Dabo has especially to hire better assistant coaches he may have achieved much more success.

TB was smart enough to put people like Dabo in positions were they could succeed. If TB had Chad Mortis type money he could have hired a much better OC.

How quickly some forget what positive contributions TB made to Clemson Football!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Before all is said and done, Dabo will go down as the

Oct 14, 2015, 2:46 PM

greatest Clemson coach EVER.

null

He's well on his way !***

Oct 14, 2015, 2:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Before all is said and done, Dabo will go down as the

Oct 14, 2015, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Before all is said and done, Dabo will go down as the ]

it is going to be hard to displace Ford and Howard, but Dabo has a chance this year to win 10 or more games five years in a row. Dabo needs to win more than one National Championship. To me; Dabo is already #2 behind Ford.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you ever wondered why nobody interviews Tommy

Oct 14, 2015, 2:48 PM

for their head coach opening? He's not really that good of a coach that's why !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he knows he isn't cut out for big time college

Oct 14, 2015, 3:19 PM

football. He left here with plenty to leave his kids and that isn't to mention what Bobby has for them. They are all set up. He could go back to a Tulane level school, but really no reason to? Now Jeff, what is he doing these days? Did his brothers' work keep him from getting a big time job?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would he want to ? He has plenty of bank - has a job

Oct 14, 2015, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Have you ever wondered why nobody interviews Tommy ]

that pays pretty well, I imagine, and gets him out of the house 2 or 3 days a week . . . and he has 4 days off a week.

AND he doesn't have to court 16 and 17 year olds & their families in order to keep his paycheck coming in . . . with crazy travel, social mediaing, phone calls, etc.

The grind of recruiting is what does in most of these guys at the college level that aren't cut out for it . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Bowdens problem wa that he was stubborn and inconsistent.

Oct 14, 2015, 2:48 PM

He refused for years to have a dedicated special teams coach and it cost us 2-3 games.

He also treated games differently. I can't speak to his practices or game prep because I wasn't there, but he would always have a different availability to the media and attitude in interviews for the big games vs. the normal contests. But the play-calling was always more creative for bigger games and I imagine the focus was greater too. That led to his tenure creating the "C" word.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Bowdens problem wa that he was stubborn and inconsistent.

Oct 14, 2015, 3:28 PM

The bottom line is when it was third and eight Bowden called a five yard pass ,., That's what I remember most ,., The Alabama opener was hurtful to my health .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2015, 3:38 PM

Why do you say he has no clue? Just curious.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Does anybody who's unsuccessful

Oct 14, 2015, 3:53 PM

really know why? I tend to blame others.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic