Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something that bothers me about our fundamentals....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Something that bothers me about our fundamentals....

May 31, 2015, 10:31 AM

is the lack of them in hitting. I've only watched the last 2 games and wasn't trying to be a critic or a coach. After watching a few innings, I couldn't help but wonder why our hitters are allowed so much freedom in their hitting styles - specifically, their stance at the plate. What I saw without looking for it was hitters in all sorts of contorted positions - some with a wide open stance, some with no weight on the front foot, some waving the bat all over the place pre-pitch, some pointing at the fences, some trying to hit the low inside pitch like a golf ball (I suppose in hopes that it goes out) and some too concerned with how they look on the follow-through. I couldn't see the other fundamentals in their locations within the batter's box well enough to comment, but I suspect they need some help there as well.

Also, too many of them seemed to be looking for "their" pitch, instead of hitting the ball where it's pitched and taking a cut at anything in the strike zone. This is exactly what Pepperdine did right and in my opinion, why they beat us. The only time we seemed to go after a pitcher was when we had their starter on the ropes - it was like the green light bulb went off in their heads and they started getting aggressive. As soon as we saw a new pitcher, we went back to looking at pitches instead of swinging at them. Hopefully, the taken pitches weren't at the call of the coaches.

I haven't watched enough of our games to say for sure, but it definitely appeared to me that in addition to a lack of good pitching (exception of Crownover), we also have a deficit in hitting fundamentals.

Also, I think we passed up and opportunity for a double-steal with runners on first and second late in the game.

Just my opinion - and yes, I was taught to play small ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something that bothers me about our fundamentals....

Jun 1, 2015, 3:39 PM

Did you also notice, and especially in the Pepperdine game, that both opposing coaches had studied each of our hitters likes and desires with pitches, such as if a particular player especially likes fastballs, he got breaking stuff? Same with other pitches. This is good coaching technique. Why did we not do this with the pitches our pitchers gave to each of their batters? At NCAA's you have to do this and our coaches did not! We need to clean house and upgrade this coaching staff right now!!!!

Jun 1, 2015, 4:01 PM

Please stop posting stuff you know nothing about! You look foolish.

Jun 1, 2015, 7:00 PM

Come on man, he watched two games and has all the answers. Should be the highest paid scout of allll time.

IMO

Jun 1, 2015, 7:55 PM

the stance, pre-pitch mannerisms, etc. aren't that big of a deal. On the macro side our offense is productive, it's just pressure situations where it seems to be flawed. If the stance, etc. were an issue we would have problems all the time on offense. Go watch even a minor league game and you'll see a different batting stance and pre-pitch mannerisms for each batter that comes to the plate. Think Nomar Garciaparra or Julio Franco.

My train of thought when I was coaching was as long as they were fundamentally strong when the pitch arrived I wasn't going to worry about the stance/mannerisms before it did. Making a change for esthetics sake could cause more serious fundamental problems that end up really screwing up a player.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic