Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Someone explain the onside kick to me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Someone explain the onside kick to me

Jan 12, 2016, 8:57 AM

Obviously the rule is different than anyone thought if the play was in fact legal. And I get the reference to the rule. B

But if those are the rules what rule change was implemented a few years ago that made kickers start having to drive it in the ground to get it to pop up. why doesn't this apply here. It's not the fair catch so what else could it be?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: Someone explain the onside kick to me

Jan 12, 2016, 9:01 AM

You kick into the ground to take away the option to fair catch the ball. If the nearest Clemson player signaled for a fair catch, the Alabama player could not have touched the ball until it hit the ground.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they kicked it straight in the air, ball never touched the ground***

Jan 12, 2016, 9:03 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they kicked it straight in the air, ball never touched the ground***

Jan 12, 2016, 9:10 AM

We never signaled fair catch therefore the Bama recovery was legal. Please learn the rules queenie.

null

you should study as well, no fair catch is required

Jan 12, 2016, 10:55 AM

fair catch or not the receiver has the same right to the ball. Based on actually looking at the rule, the problem is we didnt have anyone in the zipcode to be impeded. Rule specifically says receiving team has to be in a position to resonably be able to catch the ball, and we were not in that position.

Jan 12, 2016, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Someone explain the onside kick to me ]

The problem was we were so far out of position that no one was close enough to make or signal for a fair catch. After 10 yards, it is a live ball. That play was brilliantly executed.

Jan 12, 2016, 9:09 AM

The ball does not have to touch the ground. If there is a player from the receiving team calling for a fair catch or attempting to field the kick, he must be given that opportunity. But, unlike a punt, it is a live ball.

yes it does have to touch the ground, seen that happen plenty of times..

Jan 12, 2016, 9:12 AM

throughout the years and a penalty flag is thrown each time

You're wrong***

Jan 12, 2016, 9:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You're wrong***

Jan 12, 2016, 10:00 AM

As usual

null

Re: yes it does have to touch the ground, seen that happen plenty of times..

Jan 12, 2016, 10:24 AM [ in reply to yes it does have to touch the ground, seen that happen plenty of times.. ]

sorry Tigerking, but you are incorrect.

Not being mean, just saying.

Bama was offsides and the ball has to touch the ground before a defender can recover...

Jan 12, 2016, 9:03 AM

Cheating refs plain and simple

Re: Bama was offsides and the ball has to touch the ground before a defender can recover...

Jan 12, 2016, 9:11 AM

The ball doesnt have to touch the ground.

null

Re: Bama was offsides and the ball has to touch the ground before a defender can recover...

Jan 12, 2016, 9:19 AM

Clemson blew it by not signaling for a fair catch!

They were not offsides, and it doesn't have to touch the

Jan 12, 2016, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Bama was offsides and the ball has to touch the ground before a defender can recover... ]

ground if it goes beyond 10 yards and nobody calls for a fair catch. You're just wrong, but hey that's never stopped you before

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 12, 2016, 9:05 AM

See the post "Onside Kick- Interference with opportunity to catch"

Jan 12, 2016, 9:16 AM

Blame it on the special teams coach. If Clemson's defender (Kearse?) signaled for a fair catch, then Clemson would have received the ball plus 15 yards for interference by bama.

Fair Catch

1. The member of the receiving team must raise one arm a full length above his head and wave it from side to side while kick is in flight. (Failure to give proper sign: receivers’ ball five yards behind spot of signal.) Note: It is legal for the receiver to shield his eyes from the sun by raising one hand no higher than the helmet.

2. No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.

3. A player who signals for a fair catch is not required to catch the ball. However, if a player signals for a fair catch, he may not block or initiate contact with any player on the kicking team until the ball touches a player. Penalty: snap 15 yards.

4. If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.

Jan 12, 2016, 10:59 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1545483&tstart=0

Not just my OP, but a lot of good comments/insights in the thread.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic