»
Topic: Somehow, I imagine the taxpayer will pay for players in
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 2, 2019 7:07 PM by: dsgriff®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 7  

Somehow, I imagine the taxpayer will pay for players in

[1]
Posted: Oct 2, 2019 2:24 PM

the end.

CA passes pay to play. Microsoft adopts UC Berkley and pays the players, Electronic Arts grabs up USC, and Disney backs UCLA, etc, etc.. Oregon thinks it's great and joins CA so that Nike can own Oregon University.
Fresno State, Portland University, Loyola Marymount and Santa Clara are left with the local Chevy dealers for sponsorship and cannot afford the arms race, so they threaten to drop football(or basketball).
There is a general outrage that players across CA are having their scholarships dropped because of the pay disparity and lack of ability to pay.

Of course some CA lawmaker suggests a "salary cap" to make all schools equal again, but the added expense is already there and the teams return to facilities and amenities arms races that were previously used for recruiting. Some schools still can't keep up.

Lawmaker number 2 decides that to pay all the players in the state, a bill would be introduced to make sure everybody is funded. If the University can't raise the revenue, there will be a fund set up to assist. Of course that has to be funded through public means.....more taxes.

2020 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Somehow, I imagine the taxpayer will pay for players in

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 4:50 PM

Nike already owns Oregon and I'm sure Disney owns one too.

2020 purple level member

So welcome to Naturally Fresh University?

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 5:23 PM

We have an away game in November against Darla Moore University.

2020 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

[1]
Posted: Oct 2, 2019 6:02 PM

Based on the California bill the only universities effected are ones that have rights deals exceeding $10M, which would be Cal, UCLA, Stanford, and USC.

The players going to the small schools won't get anything.

2020 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Thanks

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 7:04 PM

First new information I have seen on this all day. That is an interesting wrinkle.

[1]
Posted: Oct 2, 2019 6:55 PM

Bob Brooks was a Clemson Alum. We could have the Hooters Rally Cats.

^^^ this man is thinking +1***

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 6:59 PM

Almost went with Hooters University in my post above

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 7:07 PM

But felt sure that would insult someone’s sensibilities and would blow back on me. What a world, right?

And Hooters relies heavily on orange. I could get behind a sponsorship deal like this.

Replies: 7  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 2020 Season tickets - Section T, JJ, Seats 5 & 7. TWO LOWER LEVEL SEATS TOGETHER. $1950.00 FOR PA...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
772 people have read this post