Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter

Aug 22, 2018, 8:16 AM

Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter

Kelly Bryant, Clemson’s incumbent starting quarterback, walked off the practice field at Jervey Meadows after Tuesday’s practice with his trademark smile and a bundle of dance moves for the assembled media. That was a far cry from the downcast Bryant that met with the media after his lackluster performance in the spring game.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow the hush over the crowd is deafening

Aug 22, 2018, 8:36 AM

This tells you what? Trevor Lawrence like all incoming Freshman QB's needs time to get the playbook down before he's thrust into the spotlight. All coaches will tell you they would rather not throw a true freshman into game one if they don't have to. We all know TL has the God given intangibles and skills to be the best in the country so you can deduce that its the inner workings of the offense and play calls that he's still is learning. KB has been at this for a while and thats the easy part for him. Its the intangibles and skill set that he's working on.

My guess is TLaw will be fully integrated and ready around game 4 similar to DW4. He needs a little bit of game experience, some film to analyze, and a couple real successes on the the field for confidence and then he'll be ready. And then the real competition will emerge b/t he and KB.

Re: wow the hush over the crowd is deafening

Aug 22, 2018, 8:39 AM

Actually, coaches have been quoted as saying TL is AHEAD of where DW was in their development timelines.

So, based upon what they say (if you believe them), we will know sooner than game 4.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:45 AM

But Kelly Bryant is a much better QB than Cole Stoudt.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:55 AM

KB is the starter right now. He has looked better in practice. Yes, TL is already and going to be the starter eventually this season. KB appears more poised in the pocket. TL can sling it but a watched our corners pick off more passes from TL than KB. BTW, all the hype around Justyn Ross is legit. He looks like Mike Williams as a sophomore even though he has only been on campus for less than two months.

Same thing that I’ve heard...

Aug 22, 2018, 10:04 AM

In reference to TL’s INTs in practice. Gotta chill with trying to fire it into tight windows. He’s got elite talent and will grow into a dynamic QB for us, but it’s clear as day who the team is behind right now. They all gravitate to KB.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: wow the hush over the crowd is deafening ]

It is to be expected that TL turns the ball over more frequently than KB. If you had the choice of starting 2016 Deshaun (with his picks) or 2018 KB, are you telling me you'd start KB?
I doubt it.
Well, that's not the decision Dabo has to make, because it will take some game snaps (against worse defenses!) for TL to approach Deshaun's readiness. But when he's there, who would you start?

If there's ever been a defense that could erase a growing QB's mistakes, it will be wearing orange this fall.

Well, sort of, but not exactly.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: wow the hush over the crowd is deafening ]

Dabo said TL was way ahead of where DW was strictly from a PHYSICAL standpoint. He made it clear that it was yet to be determined where TL was from a mental standpoint and how well he would handle the transition to the college level and learn the offense and all of that.

He’s just way ahead of Deshaun from a physical standpoint,” Swinney said. “We’ll see where he is mentally and how he transitions and all that once he gets here and we start coaching. I don’t think that you really know that until you start coaching a guy, but he’s been well prepared, well groomed.”

I believe Dabo when he says that KB is the #1 guy at QB until somebody dethrones him. I also believe Dabo when he says the competition is real at QB and it's close enough that he has not wanted to name a starter yet (I don't believe it's just coach-speak). I believe Dabo when he says that competition will continue all year, and the QB(s) who gives us the best chance to win will play when the game is on the line.

TL is obviously ridiculously talented, and I have no doubt that he will be an outstanding QB at Clemson; maybe the best we've ever had. I would not be shocked if he starts from day one, or if he starts early. Having said that, I won't be surprised if KB starts every game either. I don't think it's a given that TL will start by game 4 or at any point this season, nor should it be. The bottom line is that we are in great, great shape at QB, and I can't understand for the life of me why all Clemson fans can't embrace that and be happy about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Well, sort of, but not exactly.

Aug 22, 2018, 10:20 AM

I think most of it has to do with how last season ended. The Bama game left a bad taste in all of our mouths. The teams that beat Bama have to pass the ball very well. You don’t try to out muscle Bama. You throw the ball accurately, run the ball enough to keep them honest, and for the most part your defense has to handle there run game. It doesn’t help that this whole battle reminds most of DW vs Stoud and that season didn’t turn out as well as it could have. I just hope the coaches really are honest with themselves and the team and play the QB who can execute the offense the best while using all of the weapons on offense. Luckily Furman is up first so both QBs will get playing time.

Message was edited by: Clemson_country89®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ST

Aug 22, 2018, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Well, sort of, but not exactly. ]

Did you miss the Bama and Spring game? I doubt it. The skill difference between KB and TL is pronounced. It’s natural for any coach to gravitate to a senior who is well respected and works hard. That said, I hope to see Dabo get TL ready with the playbook and game experience as Saban did with Tua last year. It paid off for Bama. Clemson coaches did not ready the backups last season ... the outcome was a high ceiling based on team talent but a ceiling nonetheless for 2017 team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 8:55 AM [ in reply to wow the hush over the crowd is deafening ]

For reference this time last year KB was named starter outright by the staff. This year they are waiting until game week before releasing the depth chart

That tells me this battle is a whole lot closer than people think. A 4 year guy is being severely challenged by an 18 year old kid that has yet to play a college down. TL's time is coming and it is going to be a lot sooner than you think. TL is going to play and play a lot this year

I have never said less.

Aug 22, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to wow the hush over the crowd is deafening ]

I don't think it will be as quick as DW taking Cole's job but it will surely come.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 7:29 PM [ in reply to wow the hush over the crowd is deafening ]

i must see this playbook...it has it's own zip code

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter

Aug 22, 2018, 9:04 AM

Maybe I don't look at this the same as everyone else but in my opinion we don't need KB to be Dan Marino this year, just need him to be a little better on timing, hit a few deep balls a game and properly execute his reads. If he can do that he will be absolutely lights out in our offense. One thing that will help him immensely is some tight end help.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:28 AM

If KB improves half as much between '17 and '18 as he did between '16 and '17, this "controversy" dies and we will be where we belong in the National Champ game.

Aug 22, 2018, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter ]

Maybe I don't look at this the same as everyone else but in my opinion we don't need KB to be Dan Marino this year, just need him to be a little better on timing, hit a few deep balls a game and properly execute his reads. If he can do that he will be absolutely lights out in our offense. One thing that will help him immensely is some tight end help.

Dabo will only start tl if it is crystal clear he is better. If it's close kb gets it.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:29 AM

KB will start the 1st game & TL will get his share of series. But, KB will have a very very short leash & it won’t take many miscues before he is pulled for TL. When that happens TL won’t look back. How long will that take? It remains to be seen.

replace TL with HJ

Aug 22, 2018, 10:44 AM

and this is the same post as last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: replace TL with HJ

Aug 22, 2018, 12:03 PM

If you are going to replace TL with HJ, replace KB with ZC too...that's where that was being said mostly...and well, were they wrong?
https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Bolt/Hunter-Johnson-edges-Zerrick-Cooper-for-No-2-QB-spot--110853491/

Hunter had never played in a spread offense....had a huge learning curve. Do you recall Dabo saying HJ has been playing in an offense like Clemson's, doing pretty much everything Clemson has done since 9th grade...like he has all throughout the fall with TL? yeah, me neither. People were clamoring for HJ to be the #2 more than the #1.

Aug 22, 2018, 12:18 PM

It was clear one looked much better on the field, given minimal playing time, eventually the coaches capitulated to that observation

Aug 22, 2018, 2:26 PM

Problem was the timing...they didn't finally come to the decision until near the last few games of the year. By then, Cooper had already lost to Syracuse, while Hunter kept the bench warm for the whole game. If the decision was made when it seemed to be apparent (WF game, which was the second game that both played in that Hunter outperformed Cooper...and WF did end up 3rd in the Atlantic last year), they possibly could have went a different route and avoided the one regular season loss they took. Could have still lost it too, but hard to know with them never giving Hunter a single snap.

Aug 22, 2018, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter ]

Why does it seem to me that very few on here have KB2’s back. He is the starter right now and he alone could lead us back to the CFP. It’s as if you want him to or are hoping he fails quick so TL comes in like some savior and is the best thing football has ever seen. TL’s time will come, maybe this season, maybe not, but This is KB’s senior season, his last ride at clemson, so let’s stand behind our guy while he is here because we may miss him once he’s gone. Go tigers!

Aug 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

Because you read every post that doesn't put him on a complete pedestal as a knock instead of as people discussing improvement spots he has to focus on. It's okay, not many fans are used to seeing what it's like having the #1 overall QB to be rated higher than most in the last 20 years quickly coming in and passing 4 QB's (Isreal, Cooper, Johnson, and Brice) to hit to the #2 spot in just a few months time frame before spring ended. You're not used to seeing a QB that did okay, not elite (okay but could improve some things and get better, but had a good run at a playoff) have to be under pressure to be better than okay the next year or could be QB #5 passed...step his game up very fast. Clemson hasn't been used to getting QB's like this often, so it's new territory for some to figure out how to grasp it.

It's natural ..

Aug 22, 2018, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter ]

..for a fanbase to be very excited about a player that's hyped up to the level that TLaw has been.

It was the same with Cole Stoudt. All we had heard was DW4 being one of the most talented QB's Clemson has every had.. and now it's the exact same story again.

Granted, KB is better than Stoudt. I think it all lies with this: Each players' ceiling.

Even if we could assume that KB is a better game manager and gives Clemson a better chance of winning, we all KNOW that TLaw's ceiling is much higher. That alone creates A LOT of wishful thinking in a fanbase... We all know TLaw "could be", but is he there yet? Well, who knows.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter ]

I couldn`t agree more. I`m as excited as the next guy to see TL in some real game action, but KB is a proven commodity with plenty of talent and a heap of experience. By all accounts he is much improved from last year and is hitting just as many downfield throws in practice as Trevor, if not more. Let`s not be so quick to brush KB aside in favor of the young buck. Bryant is the best leader for the offense at this time and plenty capable of reaching and winning the national championship game. TL can bring home the 2018-19 trophy. :)

Aug 22, 2018, 10:54 PM

How do we really know that, though. The coaches interviews? You don't think they'd actually come out and blast him and call him out to the media if he wasn't making the throws at times, do you? That's never been their style. They'd do what they are now... Say it's all QB's on mistakes, and refer to Trevor's as "freshman mistakes", tell you mainly about the good ones, not so much talk about the bad. They'll get down on him in the practices, not to the media.

KB hasn't done anything to lose the shot not playing in games yet, so he'd still have it and would have to do better to earn to keep it, until TL gets more experience. But they aren't going to tell the media if he's missing half his passes, or still missing the deep balls... They say whatever they have to in order to keep things within the team... First off isn't telling local media every mistake he makes. They make the practices off limits to the media in spots for a reason...so they aren't going to tell them everything when they are done either.

But otherwise, again, it's just practices. It has to translate to the field to matter. Cooper was also a great practice guy.... Game though, he was eventually beat by Hunter Johnson. Hopefully, it translates. We'll know in a few weeks.

And to those making a big deal on the TE throws, you did notice they said they weren't against the defense either, right? As in these were throws not done in action?

Not my qb!

Aug 22, 2018, 9:38 AM

!

Re: Not my qb!

Aug 22, 2018, 9:41 AM

Yeah your QB is still in middle school.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:51 AM

The QB the coaches select for the season or game-to-game should he everyone's QB if you are a true Tiger Fan. I thought Hunter Johnson was the guy but when the competition got stiff, he vanished. I leave it up to the coaches.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*snickers at the guy that doesn't figure out the "vanishing" was caused by Trevor Lawrence quickly passing him in the spring. Don't know many top-recruited QB's that'd stick around a program to be 3rd string if a #1 overall rated true freshman just beat you.

I COULDN'T CARE LESS who our QB is....

Aug 22, 2018, 9:50 AM

.... the coaches will play the one who gives us the best chance to win. Nuff Said.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

wait..which coaches? the ones who get paid or the Internet coaches

Aug 22, 2018, 10:47 AM

who are never wrong. it makes a difference

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 22, 2018, 9:57 AM

I don't really believe there are that many people that actually think TL will start over KB in game 1, or even games 2-6. I think a lot of us just think TL will gradually take the reins late in the season and be available for the ACCCG and the playoffs. That's what I think anyway. For me - KB deserves to start game 1 without hesitation. He's earned it and should get it. JMO though.

^ ding ding....we have a winner.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter ]

Im fine with KB starting...but get the other guys ready to play

Didn't do that last year...why else start KB vs cuse

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB waited his turn and put in the hours to earn this. I'm

Aug 22, 2018, 10:49 AM

pulling for #2 and but I'm also pulling for Trevor!! In other words, I'm pulling for the team and not just for the individual. We > me as our local HS coach puts it to his players. No adversity, no BS or hidden agendas. Just plain facts. Kelly Bryant has a couple of years of additional sweat equity and therefore, all other things being equal, deserves to start the first game. How each qb performs with the reps given will determine where we go from there but please pull for the team and not just for the individuals. Such behavior results in division among the team and that is one of the best ways I know for this team to self-implode.

GO TIGERS!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB waited his turn and put in the hours to earn this. I'm

Aug 22, 2018, 8:33 PM

Exactly....couldn’t have said it better myself !!! KB led the team to better year than all predictions for 2017. Trust the coaches to put best players on the field and TL and CB will have their chance. The future of Tiger Football is bright indeed. Enjoy the ride boys !!!

You know Clemson was favored in every game

Aug 22, 2018, 11:55 PM

last year? The team was loaded. Why do I keep reading they did better than predictions? The team was favored in every regular season game and lost to last place SYR.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 10:50 AM

Kelly deserves to be the starter. He was a sufficient quarterback who led a team to the CFP. There are 126 other teams who wish they could've had themselves a Kelly Bryant. Is he the best quarterback on the roster? No, Trevor is and that's clear. However, as another poster pointed out, with the talent this team has, much like last year, Kelly doesn't need to be an elite quarterback. If he's a game manager and doesn't turn the ball over, this Clemson team will run the table all the way to the Playoff. Also, the coaches have said that Kelly has made marked improvement in the passing game. If this translates to games, we'll see a better Kelly Bryant...a quarterback who already led a team to the Playoff. The only difference this year is now we have a college-ready, once-in-a-generation quarterback waiting to take over at any moment. Kelly gets injured? In goes Trevor. Need to shake up the game because Kelly isn't playing well/the offense isn't clicking? Plug in Trevor. Last year we had 2 solid qb's (Cooper and HJ), but were obviously not ready to push Kelly. Trevor is. However, Kelly has earned the right to start until something catastrophic happens. Trevor is the better QB, but Kelly is the better option right now to keep the team chemistry high and this Clemson train rolling. If Kelly struggles and is hurting the team, you have the best quarterback maybe in the country ready to back him up. Not to mention Chase Brice also lurking the sidelines...

Aug 22, 2018, 10:59 AM

What has he done to make the coaches feel he will not have another collapse like he did in the Alabama game?

Aug 22, 2018, 11:51 AM

Alabama game wasn't him collapsing as much as it was the O-Line collapsing. His deep ball issues didn't help the matter to back them off the line, but that wasn't on Kelly for the most part.

Re: Bama game isn't on Kelly

Aug 22, 2018, 5:24 PM

Really? Normally i agree with you, but not here.

Not sure what you were watching.

Kelly was totally unprepared, and didn't even find the nerve to put up a fight. Only offensive player who played to win was Deon, (no, not even Renfrow) and all you "happy-to-be-here" fans wanna make him the scapegoat because of his one bad drop.

Careful Kelly had to be told at halftime to give his teammates a chance to make plays, then followed that instruction by jamming a pass into a nonexistent window and costing us the game.

Carefree Kelly was unprepared, then Careful Kelly was incapable of adjusting to the way the game was being played.

Now that he can't skylark through camp and still keep his job, he is being required to 'win the rep', so he is now becoming the QB he could have been last year. I've always said that Trevor's presence would be good for Kelly's play because Dabo won't let him squander possessions this year. Every play counts. Just as he is 'doing whatever he has to' to remain the starter, imagine if he had had to last year.

There is no shame in what I'm saying. If we were all bosses, we'd love to have conscientious, careful employees like 2017 KB. But now he is taking complete ownership. I've been very impressed with his approach this season. However, it remains to be seen if he can improve enough to win a natty.

Aug 22, 2018, 6:47 PM

What I watched in that game was what I saw throughout the season...the right side of the line getting misdirected and biting on the wrong guy (particularly between Maverick Morris and Sean Pollard), eventually letting a guy through before Kelly could get much chance. He'd have had to snap the ball off pretty fast to get it out. Not saying that he didn't have some issues himself at times, plus Cain dropping the pass, Travis Etienne getting knocked out early, then Higgings knocked out as well...but I saw what you read in this:
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article192660964.html

Aug 22, 2018, 7:21 PM

Not sure what you meant by "saw what you read in this", because i don't read State so i didn't plagiarize, but I'm not gonna be sensitive or butthurt because players and coaches admitted to a State reporter what i thought was obvious.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I think the lack of continuity on the OL hurt us sometimes, and it wasn't due to injury but simply rotation (unless i missed something). I have even wondered if we deliberately sandbagged at times in 2017 in order to have depth available for a 2018-2019 championship run. However, i was more disappointed in Falcinelli, both his low snaps and inability to even delay the Payne train from blowing up plays repeatedly. But yet the coaches never seemed to give him double team help, and nobody rotates with Justin. Didn't understand some playcalling, either, running plays out of risky formations that resulted in TFLs. Not sure why you go into a CFP game without giving your QB the freedom to check out of bad plays or to call timeout. That's why i

Aug 22, 2018, 7:30 PM

Wonder why Kelly wasn't better prepared. Was it more on the coaches than Kelly? I mean, he had finals to study for; they didn't. Were they spoiled by Deshaun the preparation fiend? Did they get so bigheaded that they thought they could play an entire game vs. Bama and never make a bad play, formation or personnel call that Kelly would have to fix?

Anyway, i dunno. I just hope we get back there and have a better approach this time. And i hope we're not #1.

Aug 22, 2018, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama game isn't on Kelly ]

Wonder why Kelly wasn't better prepared. Was it more on the coaches than Kelly? I mean, he had finals to study for; they didn't. Were they spoiled by Deshaun the preparation fiend? Did they get so bigheaded that they thought they could play an entire game vs. Bama and never make a bad play, formation or personnel call that Kelly would have to fix?

Anyway, i dunno. I just hope we get back there and have a better approach this time. And i hope we're not #1.

Aug 22, 2018, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama game isn't on Kelly ]

i was meaning what I saw the same thing that article describes:
I'll copy.paste for ease:

Clemson’s offensive line was no match for Alabama’s front

The Tigers’ offensive line was whipped all night as Clemson allowed nine tackles for loss and five sacks. Clemson averaged 1.9 yards per carry, and in addition to the five sacks, Kelly Bryant was hit on several other plays. The Tigers were forced to be one dimensional, passing the ball 36 times, while running backs combined for only 13 carries.

“We knew we were going to be tested. That’s the strength of their team is their defensive front. We knew they were going to come out with their hair on fire, and it was going to be a lot like last year. We were going to have to weather the storm,” co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott said. “We tried to establish some tempo, and we weren’t able to do that. And then once those guys get locked in, put their hands down, screw their cleats in the dirt and come after your quarterback and you’ve got to throw it, that gives them the advantage.”

Kelly Bryant shouldn’t be judged on his numbers

Clemson’s junior quarterback struggled, but the rest of the offense deserves plenty of blame as well. Receivers Deon Cain and Hunter Renfrow had balls go off their hands, the Tigers had no running game, and on one of Bryant’s two interceptions he was hit as he threw. Bryant still had a strong season overall in leading Clemson to the ACC championship and back to the College Football Playoff.

Disagree

Aug 23, 2018, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant says he feels like he is the starter ]

Neither Clemson nor Bama coaches showed any respect for Clemson QB vertical passes - it was a fait accompli that Bama could blitz every play with no repercussions. Fromm made Bama pay in championship game before Kirby got conservative.

Aug 22, 2018, 11:42 AM

KB I love you man and I hope I’m wrong but you better get use to situation package playing.
I just hope that your attitude stays good because we will need you but just not as a every down QB.
Goal line plays and Lots of wildcats .
The OCs need to get creative with KBs skills and TLs arm the Tiger O can be unstoppable.

Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant is a first class guy and...

Aug 22, 2018, 11:48 AM

a fine representative of Clemson University. In a month or so when TL takes the starting job KB will stand like a man and dawn the mantle of honor of a true team player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Kelly Bryant is a first class guy and...

Aug 22, 2018, 12:20 PM

I don't doubt that, he has proven nothing but class. When he has to yield, it will be to a better qb and he will acknowledge his faith in coaches and team

The question is not about his body language today...

Aug 22, 2018, 1:07 PM

it will be how he handles himself during a game if he has a bad play or if he's having a bad day. In the Bama game and spring games when things went bad, his body language was one of defeat and things got worse. Leaders have to know how to handle adversity. His idol SCam Newton is the same way. KB needs to be able to LEAD the team at the end of a game when necessary (that does not mean him running the ball ever play).

I'm more of a fan of the humble leader like DW. When I see KB dancing around, it makes me wonder if he's masking his insecurity or confidence.

Re: The question is not about his body language today...

Aug 22, 2018, 1:12 PM

His dances in games 1-13 were beautifully choreographed. His game 14 dance looks like he had two left feet. 'Bama had something to do with it. So did the rest of the Clemson offense.

Re: The question is not about his body language today...

Aug 22, 2018, 5:16 PM [ in reply to The question is not about his body language today... ]

I completely agree. Great post.

In other breaking news, water is wet.

Aug 22, 2018, 2:15 PM

Spot the ball!

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: In other breaking news, water is wet.

Aug 22, 2018, 3:59 PM

^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^

10 DAYS!!!!!!!!

Somebody needs to say this...

Aug 22, 2018, 4:26 PM

It's not about Kelly Bryant... it's not about Trevor Lawrence... it's not about Chase Brice... it's about the Clemson Tigers!

Either TL or CB is the future of the program... KB is a senior. I'm thankful that we have KB, as he can take the pressure off either TL or CB... Relax... one of those two guys will be the Clemson quarterback going forward. I'm thankful that they won't be forced into a starting role too soon.

KB got us to the playoffs last year, but he couldn't get us over the hump. Was it all his fault... #### no! The Sugar bowl was all about field position in the first half... that determined the outcome.

So, can we all just relax and enjoy the progression of either CB or TL toward the starting role... and be happy that we have a senior qb who got us to the playoffs?

How about we root for Clemson, instead of a certain jersey number...

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's right. Kelly is a fine QB and we should be thankful

Aug 22, 2018, 5:00 PM

we have him and can bring along our freshmen at the right place. If TL is good enough, he will eventually get the job. If we struggle, he will get his shot.

Re: Somebody needs to say this...

Aug 22, 2018, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Somebody needs to say this... ]

THat is what I have been saying all along. Cheer for the players the coaches put on the field!

GO TIGERS!!!!! 10 DAYS!!!!!

Aug 22, 2018, 6:56 PM

Don't think any of us won't be...
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Armchair-QBs---How-about-a-truce-for-Tigernet-23872055#23872055

You know, people can discuss player improvement spots but yet still cheer them on (hoping to see the improvement) when they take the field. Not really much different from people discussing Etienne needing to improve blocking, or TE's needing to step up...except people aren't trying to place them on the same pedestals they are KB.

Aug 22, 2018, 7:24 PM

My earlier post on another article:

Just to be clear. I do not have a favorite between KB and TL. I will be in my seat in Death Valley cheering as hard as I can for whoever the coaches put on the field. I believe deciding who plays is the coaches’ jobs and I have faith in Dabo and Co. and will support them fully. I also believe my job as a fan is to support whoever they put on the field by helping create the best environment possible in DV.

And I have said that several times through the summer. I will loudly support whoever the coaches put on the field!!

GO TIGERS!!!!! 10 DAYS!!!!

Aug 22, 2018, 7:37 PM

Yep, I saw that.. No need to announce it. Just don't assume others that talk about it won't be cheering whomever it is. Regardless, both are Tigers. I myself just have been looking at where improvements need to be to get there and win it... Whether it be KB or TL.

Aug 22, 2018, 7:59 PM

At the end of the day we are all on the same team. You are always reasonable in your comments. I do worry about some others simply because I had the unfortunate displeasure of sitting near someone who booed Kelly and loudly called for his replacement during a game last year. He was also vocal in his displeasure with the coordinators and their play calling and personnel decisions. I just hope we don’t end up hearing a lot of that again this year. This is why I am so insistent about positive support especially in DV. And I just believe life is too short to be negative. We have the opportunity to support a great football team. I plan to enjoy every second of it.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:27 PM

Agreed. Never liked people booing the players. Regardless of feelings of who someone may want to see get a try, none of them deserve booing. The only time I boo is the refs (some of them deserve it...Dwayne Heydt, I'm looking your way), or if something happens like the chicken fight way back.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:49 PM

Oh yeah. I’ve been known to boo bad officiating. That’s all part of showing support for the Tigers. I am so excited about this season. I was a sophomore in 1981 and enjoyed that season immensely. Unfortunately the job I got after graduation caused me to move out of the area for many years. Moved back in 2014 and have not missed a home or postseason game since and have a goal to not miss another home game as long as I live.

Why would he think otherwise?

Aug 22, 2018, 9:02 PM

The coaches have been praising him like no one else since Spring camp. So...

GO TIGERS!!

TL should get most of the snaps against Furman

Aug 23, 2018, 6:30 PM

We need to break him in before we go to A&M

KB will not do well against A&M.

TL is much better,

Look what Georgia did and they are in the SEC.

TL is much higher rated than both of their freshmen QBs.

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic