Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some optimism...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,570

Some optimism...

Jun 26, 2020, 10:27 PM

NASCAR is back ...MLS is back...NBA is back... MLB almost back....

Why can’t CFB come back?

I think it will - but honestly - I don’t see them opening up stadiums...

I say we will have CFB...
Save your ticket and tailgate money and get a nice big screen.. because I think it will be CFB without fans in the stands...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some optimism...

Jun 26, 2020, 10:32 PM

Soccer is back in Europe as well..
Professional golf is back here in the US also..

I’m sure there’s more I can’t think of...

Jun 26, 2020, 10:33 PM

I like your optimism, for the most part. I’m hoping for a “tad” bit more.

Those aren't back yet

Jun 26, 2020, 10:34 PM

Just scheduled to be back. I'm not going to be confident until I see the teams on the field/court for baseball, mls and NBA.

European soccer leagues have been a return success so far and hopefully the American team sports can follow suit

Re: Those aren't back yet

Jun 28, 2020, 12:29 PM

The EU countries have strong political leadership and have done a great job flattening their Covid-19 curves, allowing their sports to reopen safely. We have an egotistical, totally unethical, pathologically lying, white nationalist, dictator want-to-be who cares about nothing but his re-election. Thus our sports are in doubt and everything else in the country is going the way of Germany in the early thirties. My thanks to all the idiots who voted for Fat Orange Donny.

Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

Jun 26, 2020, 11:00 PM

Professional leagues are completely different animals from CFB. There are political and ethical concerns about putting unpaid collegians at risk that don't apply the same way to pros. CFB doesn't have vast resources like the NBA & MLB.

Lastly, CFB is a huge, very diverse patchwork unlike the pro leagues.

Those are some reasons. I want CFB to happen but it looks shaky right now with COVID-19 flaming out of control. Here in Texas it's insane right now.

Jun 26, 2020, 11:01 PM

Insane due to the bars there being closed?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 12:26 AM

Where in Texas are you?
I’m in Houston...
It was completely foolish to re-open bars..

The average age of those testing positive has shifted from 50 to 40 years old....

That tells me a lot of younger people are getting it, in order to shift the average so much ...

Not hard to figure ... bars re-open .. younger people congregate and get drunk ...exercise poor judgement ...COVID19spikes... entirely predictable ...

The only bright side is that hopefully it equates to less fatalities...

To be honest - life hasn’t changed much for me
... I have small children and don’t hit the bars ...
I worked from home before COVID..
Social distancing from non family has been pretty easy..

For that reason- I’m probably not the best point of reference...
But it doesn’t feel insane ... I know the numbers are up - I also believe it’s relatively easy to understand why...

Jun 27, 2020, 12:31 AM

I think the bars being re-opened is a critical point of reference.. and one reason I don’t see fans at games ..
Tailgating is just one giant bar scene in some ways...

I have close relatives in Sugar Land, who have another

Jun 27, 2020, 4:55 AM

home in Palacios on Matagorda Bay, where they have remained due to the outbreak in the Houston area.

Their daughter and her family have been spending most of their time there, also, but at least they have swimming and fishing to enjoy. Pierce relatives in the same area (Palacios, Blessing and Bay City) are avoiding Houston at all costs, also.

What a far different scenario now than when I was there this time last year, attending a cousin's wedding and visiting,

Stay safe and best wishes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Some optimism... ]

Missouri City (hence the username).

Abbott really blew it. Never should have blocked local elected officials from making local decisions. He was more concerned about staying close to you-know-who than anything else.

At least he admitted his mistake but we are paying for it big time.

I don't drink. Most dangerous thing I do is go to church. Lol! I

Jun 28, 2020, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Some optimism... ]

Young people are going to congregate. If not in bars then in their homes or elsewhere. Young people, who this virus has little to no impact on, getting it was inevitable and not actually a huge negative. Unless we place everyone under house arrest it will spread. All we can do is try to react accordingly and keep the folks who are truly at risk (60 and over) out of harms way. Don't forget that roughly 60 million people caught the swine flu so thinking we will put on our masks and keep this one from ever spreading through the population was optimistic, but naive. CDC just announced they think roughly 25 million have already had this virus so that means the mortality rate is much lower than we feared. Also good news.

Jun 27, 2020, 10:34 AM

How do we save the small businesses from going under. I would think a large part of their yearly income is made during football season. If there are no fans, no tailgating, ticket sales, concession sales, little need for a lot of security etc... where will that needed revenue come from? The only way I see this as workable without fans is to charge every one who watched the game on TV a ticket price. The price would be lower than a ticket. A price would have to be calculated so that we can split the revenue between small businesses, local stores, the AD at Clemson and others who sincerely rely on that home game revenue.

Then as a team how do you get motivated playing in an empty stadium. I would think that would very difficult. You can pipe in crowd noise but looking up at 70,000 plus empty seats would be tuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 9:13 PM

This would be the equivalent of switching CFB games from free TV on ESPN/Fox/CBS/etc to pay per view.

Impossible to implement for the 2020 season.

Jun 28, 2020, 4:14 PM

I was guessing Missouri City based on your name...
I’ve been in Houston area nearly 20 years now.. doubtful I’ll ever leave .. my Wife is from
here.. she’s open to living here in Texas or South Carolina ...

Stay safe!

Yes - Abbott definitely blew it...
Bars are back closed again now and Harris County is back on mandatory masks...

In response to the local businesses in Clemson. ... their only hope is probably grass roots efforts ..it’s too late to implement formal measures I think ..

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,570
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic