Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Social Media questions and thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 306

Social Media questions and thoughts

Nov 13, 2020, 5:03 PM

Who besides me believe that soon we'll all be divided by social media?

Republicans on mewe and parler.

Dems on Fb and Twitter?

And who else believes eventually FB will be like MySpace, a thing of the past?

(Don't any of you youngsters who haven't seen time pass things by say it won't happen lol)

I created a Parler page for ##### and giggles, it is ALL Trump from what I've seen so far. Way too early retirement has me bored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Social Media questions and thoughts

Nov 13, 2020, 5:04 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2020, 5:15 PM

I don't think we will.

The problem with Parler and its ilk is that the folks they attract tend to, shall we say, Jethro up the neighborhood. It's one thing to be an advocate of completely unchecked, utterly free speech...quite another to realize you've literally got neo-Nazis, Proud Boys, QAnon conspiracy theorists, and 50 other sub-species of weirdo all around you. It's exactly what got the likes of 4chan-turned-8chan-turned-8kun into trouble, and why reddit just finally said "fukkit" and started zapping all that junk...because those folks are crazy and you just can't maintain any sort of community, much less a civilization, with them doing what they want.

Because they will literally start plotting mass shootings, bombings, and kidnappings of Michigan governors.

Utterly unchecked free speech is great...in theory. The reality is there's bad, hate-filled folks out there and if you allow them to do what they want they metastasize like cancer and start doing all manner of janky stuff.

Parler's going to discover what all the others who tried it realized - you let the crazy rumble, it gets even crazier. Twitter and FB and the like were pretty much just doing the bare bones minimum they needed to do to preserve the civilization that provides them with their clicks and ad revenue; it's just not a good business model to let your customers burn the store down even if they want to.

And nobody rational will go near that platform, which renders it largely useless for business and government.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2020, 5:47 PM

I feel the same way about people on Twitter and Facebook. They just burn real stores down.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm amazed Facebook has made it as long as it has.

Nov 13, 2020, 6:08 PM

Had it stayed its original, core user group, it would have been the next myspace.

I've yet to see anything net-positive come from it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 306
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic