Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson and the BCS: Start Praying Tigers Fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,766

Clemson and the BCS: Start Praying Tigers Fans

Oct 29, 2012, 4:09 AM

Contrary to what many seem to be saying on here, 11-1 is far from a guarantee for a BCS at-large. In fact, Clemson's at-large chances are very bad right now. Clemson fans should be rooting even harder than they normally would for an FSU loss because that's about the only way we're getting in right now. At-large hopes are a long shot at best.

http://tshq.co/2012/10/clemson-and-the-bcs-start-praying-tigers-fans/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't see how could Boise State a Non-BCS

Oct 29, 2012, 4:41 AM

team would be taken over a BCS team such as Clemson with 11-1 record. Broncos will not bring as many fans to Sugar bowl as Clemson fans. So as far as money goes, Clemson vs Georgia/Florida/LSU in Sugar Bowl is far more attractive option than same schools against Boise State.

Re: i don't see how could Boise State a Non-BCS

Oct 29, 2012, 6:28 AM

Their conference, becomes an automatic qualifier if:

1. They have a team ranked in the top 16 of the BCS

2. And the automatic quailifer from one of the big 6 power conferences is ranked below them.

So. If Boise gets to 16, and either Big 10 or Big East champ is 17 or less they are in. It is very likely that the Big 10 champ will have 3+ losses or that Louisville will not finish undefeated. Both senarios will probably yield a team that is ranked very low in the BCS ranking. When Michigan lost this weekend, that hurt us..

So why does Oklahoma go ahead of us if they are behind us

Oct 29, 2012, 4:51 AM

exactly?

If they lose another game and we win out that's a 11-1 vs. 9-3 with us being ranked higher.

Not to mention I believe Oklahoma will lose another game, either to Oklahoma State or West Virginia.

As in the article you say that Stanford plays Oregon (loss), and Oregon State (win). Oregon State plays Oregon and Stanford (both losses). That means both teams fall below us as well, Stanford already is and Oregon State is 2 above us. Also interesting from the Pac-12 is that if USC loses to Oregon this weekend, Arizona controls their destiny in getting to the Pac-12 CG.

I think you are also discounting the fact that we are ranked 13th right now, and winning out means beating a sure top-10 ranked South Carolina team, which would put us easily in the top 10.

If these scenarios play out, we would be ahead of the 2nd place Pac-12, Big 12, Big East, and Big 10 teams with a better record then all of them, and a fan base that travels very well.

I don't think we are as out to dry as you think we are.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So why does Oklahoma go ahead of us if they are behind us

Oct 29, 2012, 6:50 AM

I think you are putting to much faith in the BCS rankings to assure us of a spot in the BCS games. If you are not in the top 6 in the BCS, you are not guranteed a spot..

I think you also need to consider this. IF, FSU is the ACC champ, the orange bowl is not an option for us. I dont think they look to see a rematch of a game already played. So now we have 8 spots left in the BCS.

2 of those spots are going to the best 2. One spot in the Rose bowl is going to the Big 10 winner. Right now, If Oregon wins out, that places K State in the Fiesta. The Sugar Bowl, then has the first selection, in picking its replacement since the SEC champ is no longer on the table. I think they can pick who ever they want. I think they pick Notre Dame, UGA, or FL.

If Notre Dame is not selected for the Sugar, then they definately go to the Fiesta. The rose bowl wants a big 10, pac 12 game. If Oregon state only has 2 losses, they probably go.

That leaves 2 spots left. 1 in the Sugar Bowl, and 1 in the orange bowl. The big east has to go to one of them. If Boise qualifies. They are in and we are out. If Boise does not make it, we are hoping that we get picked over the #2 Big 12 team for the Sugar Bowl.

With the recent loses in the Big 12, that is looking better. But we need that conference to keep tanking.

Why does Oregon jump K-State and ND?***

Oct 29, 2012, 7:21 AM

2 words and a number: Virginia Tech 2011

Oct 29, 2012, 7:19 AM [ in reply to So why does Oklahoma go ahead of us if they are behind us ]

The Sugar Bowl took VT over several teams with better records.

VT was 11-2, they only lost to us before Bowl Season.***

Oct 29, 2012, 7:22 AM

Re: 2 words and a number: Virginia Tech 2011

Oct 29, 2012, 1:42 PM [ in reply to 2 words and a number: Virginia Tech 2011 ]

There was no non-AQ auto bid last season which gave the ACC a much greater chance. Easier for VT to beat out one of two major conference at large possibilities over one.

Poor article...

Oct 29, 2012, 4:56 AM

There are a few scenarios where Clemson would miss, but not many. There's no way BCS bowls would take 2-loss teams like West Virginia or Texas Tech over Clemson. The relevant Pac 12 North teams will all probably lose to Oregon still, and USC will get a 3rd loss unless they beat Oregon twice.

If it ends up being an Oregon vs. Alabama BCS game, Oklahoma is basically screwed because their only hope would be to go to the Rose Bowl since the other bowls have teams OU already played or their spots are filled. The Sugar Bowl would get 1st replacement pick, and they'd take Notre Dame in a heartbeat. The Fiesta Bowl would have Kansas State as the Big 12 tie-in. The Orange Bowl would be stuck with FSU and Boise. My guess is the Rose Bowl would take the SEC #2 with their replacement pick since no Pac 12 teams are that attractive, and they haven't had the classic Big 10 vs Pac 10 all that often in recent years (the matchup wasn't set up in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, or 2011).

I think Louisville will play FSU in the Orange Bowl.***

Oct 29, 2012, 8:34 AM

Re: Poor article...

Oct 29, 2012, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Poor article... ]

Texas Tech was noted as the least likely of the Big 12 teams to go over Clemson. West Virginia is a very attractive option to the BCS and has always delivered when they've qualified as the Big East champ. If WVU goes 10-2 they'd go before Clemson.

Orange Bowl would not be filled under the scenario you described. If Oregon-Alabama played for title you'd have:

Fiesta- KState
Rose- Big Ten Champ (lets say Nebraska since they're currently highest)
Sugar- Empty
Orange- FSU

Sugar as you said takes ND in all likelihood. Next would be Rose. Even if Rose does pass on a PAC-12 team if they're eligible for replacement, they're not taking Louisville or Boise, so who they taking? Clemson?

ESPECIALLY if Nebraska does win the Big Ten as they're currently the highest ranked team, BCS execs would LOVE a Nebraska-Oklahoma game after their history vs one another. The only reasonable alternative would be a 2nd PAC-12 team if they qualify.

Then last two bids go to Boise and Louisville with Sugar taking UF/LSU/UGA.

Go lay an egg somewhere else chicken boy***

Oct 29, 2012, 5:09 AM

yall act like

Oct 29, 2012, 6:36 AM

You have already beat USC. I wouldnt count your chickens bf they hatch. Yes UT threw some around on us but their OL is light years ahead of Clemsons. Yes Lattimore is out but Connor Shaw threw for 350 and we still ran for 150 on a D that is very comparable to Clemsons. It should be a great game but I would worry about USC bf u worry about BCS.

Re: yall act like

Oct 29, 2012, 6:46 AM

Why are y'all on Tigernet so early in the AM? Go on to cootville.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Home game for y'all and we aren't the same team as two

Oct 29, 2012, 7:23 AM [ in reply to yall act like ]

years ago.

Since I have long preferred to take one game at a time,

Oct 29, 2012, 7:25 AM

at this point in time I prefer to be more concerned with our remaining opponents, than worried about bowl games. We'll play where invited, which a large number of schools will envy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

im not going to pray over sports results***

Oct 29, 2012, 1:43 PM

Re: im not going to pray over sports results***

Oct 29, 2012, 1:50 PM

You should pray for a sarcasm detector then.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,766
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic