Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Quarterback Controversy?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

New Story: Quarterback Controversy?

Nov 15, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quarterback Controversy?

Has the loss of Deshaun Watson and the ineffectiveness of senior Cole Stoudt led to third-stringer Nick Schuessler getting a look as the starter for next week's home game against Georgia St.? Clemson's coaches weigh in. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya think!?!?!?!?***

Nov 15, 2014, 5:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the media business, we call this kind of story 'filler'

Nov 15, 2014, 5:33 PM

Intended only for filling an empty news hole.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont think its too much of a controversy

Nov 15, 2014, 5:35 PM

Looks to be pretty clear cut to me. Schussler is the only available qb that can complete a pass (to the guys on offense, anyways)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dont think its too much of a controversy

Nov 15, 2014, 6:25 PM

Good point! I know the OC is trying to defend Cole but, talking about the last four games doesn't cover the atrocious performance from today. We all love Cole but, today he was terrible...to say the least. The 3rd string QB should get his shot next week. I don't think he can be any worse. Besides, GA St is the best time to try the kid because we know whose after GA St.

Re: I dont think its too much of a controversy

Nov 16, 2014, 12:08 AM

Pretty #### terrible performance from Stoudt. Can't remember a worse performance from a Clemson QB. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe FSU can lend us Macguire for the next couple weeks (shame that it would be an improvement...) I can't believe how much Stoudt has regressed since last year. GT Defense 14, Clemson 6

Re: New Story: Quarterback Controversy?

Nov 15, 2014, 5:47 PM

Our D has led us to the victories

No Controversy

Nov 15, 2014, 5:51 PM

Stoudt sucks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won those four games IN SPITE OF Cole!!!!!***

Nov 15, 2014, 5:57 PM

So who threw the passes that set up FGs and TDs?

Nov 15, 2014, 6:00 PM

Pretty sure it was Cole

defense won those games.fact***

Nov 15, 2014, 7:00 PM

Re: So who threw the passes that set up FGs and TDs?

Nov 15, 2014, 8:14 PM [ in reply to So who threw the passes that set up FGs and TDs? ]

HE HAS THROWN MORE INTs THAN TDs MORON. FOR ONE THING HE DOES GOOD, HE DOES 2 BAD. HE IS TERRIBLE, FLAT OUT TERRIBLE.

Nov 15, 2014, 11:43 PM [ in reply to So who threw the passes that set up FGs and TDs? ]

Your an idiot!

Nov 15, 2014, 11:44 PM

Cole sucks! His time is over

Nov 16, 2014, 7:01 AM [ in reply to So who threw the passes that set up FGs and TDs? ]

The defense won those games. The offense was pretty much ineffective for those entire games.

I would have named Nick the starter before the handshake

Nov 15, 2014, 6:00 PM

Good lord, with a week of practice this 40 year old could go 3-11 with 3 INTs. I can definitely throw a screen pass. I would think a backup D-1 QB off any team could perform better than Cole did today.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:05 PM

Nick should start the last two games this year and any bowl game. He needs to get the experience since he will be here next year and Cole won't. Depending on Deshaun's health and the play of the freshmen QB's coming in next year, Nick will more than likely be the backup QB next year.

Schuessler

Nov 15, 2014, 6:06 PM

He didn't get a chance to run the offense because GT blitzed on every play, really?

So I guess that's the way to beat Clemson with him then.
They weren't playing nice.

Things aren't looking good from here on out, 2014.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:08 PM

do you think we can get Chad Kelly back????

Nov 15, 2014, 6:12 PM

You can't beat South Carolina with third string qb...plain and simple

well...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:18 PM

first: Thank you Cole Stoudt for stepping in and getting us some wins

Second: Stoudt is the best of a very $hitty QB pool

third: This team is NOT good. they barley beat teams that everybody else is handling easily.

fourth: our coaches are WAY over their heads and should be unemployed, with the exception of BV who should take over. Dabo and Chad can go pound sand, they suck as much as our quarterbacks do!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: well...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:24 PM

I'll have to disagree on one of the points I don't think cole is the best we got at this point nick completed more passes same yards in 2 drives cole couldn't complete 4 passes all game unless you count completions to the other team

Re: well...

Nov 15, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to well... ]

Really? Your fourth pt is your actual opinion? It's not a joke?

Amazing that you are a Clemson fan. Wow.

3 and out Stoudt

Nov 15, 2014, 6:31 PM

Dig a hole Cole, Blowout Stoudt, Rout Stoudt. Stoudt stares down one receiver, doesn't have the ability to go through progressions, has minimal mobility, can't hit a wide open reciever in the flat, and tends to panick. I think that mostly covers it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:43 PM

I would give nick the reps this week ad start him Saturday. Our D got us the wins. Bottom line. Cole struggled through 4 games just making enough to beat bad teams. This is not exceptable. Without help we will loose to the coots again. I love our coaches and players , but another loss to Carolina at clemson is not an option. Better do something, quick!

Nov 15, 2014, 8:18 PM

If we lose to Carolina again, Dabo needs to be canned. Cannot have 6 in a row to them, especially with how they look this year.

David, at least you could give me some acknowledgement

Nov 15, 2014, 6:44 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1408906&tstart=140

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol at this line

Nov 15, 2014, 7:00 PM

"won the starting job back in April and we have to get back to that level and execute the base offense.”

cole was handed the starting job back in april due to favoritism** fixed it for chad.anyone with a brain knows there is no way in t his world that cole actually beat out watson in a qb competition

Re: lol at this line

Nov 16, 2014, 7:04 AM

I think it's clear that Dabo was behind Cole. Chad never would have recruited him or played him.

im sorry dabo but cole could have bamas o line..

Nov 15, 2014, 7:02 PM

and he would still suck..just as you told us he gives us a better chance to win than watson..your blind loyalty is a liability to the team

Dabo is Stuburn

Nov 15, 2014, 7:07 PM

Dabo has been in charge of the QB situation. That's more evident now than ever. Stoudt missed the open receivers on every pass. He never reads the defense. NEVER. Dabo also gets in their faces too much. He needs to let the coordinator do his job. You can tell the players don't want to listen to him by the look on their faces.

Nov 15, 2014, 7:29 PM

Mark mays and old cocky himself lou holtz nailed it at halftime by saying, the fact that our quarterback situation is so pathetic right now is a direct result of our coaching staff with lack of preparation and recruiting in that position. A couple of games ago the announcers on espn made the most ridiculous comment I think I have heard by saying that this is the best job of coaching morris has done since he has been at clemson???? Wonder what they were smoking.... if he is such a great coach then why does the offense look so bad when watson is not playing??? Agreed one player should never make this much difference on how a team plays week in and week out. Not a great coaching job if you ask me....

Nov 15, 2014, 8:36 PM

Only Lou said it...

But remember Richt transferred and Chad k was kicked off team.

Dums#$T Lou also said recruit better people bc chad k was kicked off.

Seriously...this from a usuck homer of secriminal league and 9 lives Garcia school.

Seriously? Cole couldn't start for my local HS team.***

Nov 15, 2014, 7:30 PM

Screw Calford.

Nov 15, 2014, 8:02 PM

Makes me glad we have Zerrick and Tucker next year to add some dual threat depth!!!!

Nov 15, 2014, 8:34 PM

We're all frustrated and emotional right now. Which makes it easy to blame everyone. Our coaches are doing a good job. We moved the ball well enough along with great D to win today. I admire Stoudt In many ways but sorry to say this game's on his shoulders. Although he hasn't been great, much of the criticism toward him has been one sided. But today, he was terrible.

Going forward without Watson, we may have to rely on Stoudt anyway because of his experience. With hope he'll pull it together. He has shown he has the skills to compete. But I'd have Schusseler ready to go at the first sign Cole starts to stumble. Our problems run deeper than bad QB play, but I think much of it has just been a series of unfortunate circumstances. Dabo's building the right kind've program to compete at the top and his staff has shown they can utilize good talent. We're just having to weather a storm no one saw coming right now.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quarterback Controversy?

Nov 15, 2014, 8:42 PM

Next year with tucker and Kelly sitting back there waiting I do worry as much. But if Watson's out? Well I haven't been as nervous since caravan protection duty in mogadishu. Cole hey thank you for being there but we need a new sniper. You not hitting the shot you have to to protect the team. If nick looks bad in practice? Well as any of us that have played , know. Some guys are just better when it counts. Your time nick. , make the shot! It keeps your team safe

Nov 15, 2014, 10:34 PM

Just going to lay it out there. The previous wins by Cole were painful to watch! I almost had to invest in Tagamet. I felt almost like we lost after watching a Stoudt win. It was hard to explain. I'm not questioning his character, or toughness. It's his lack of athleticism. I've seen better QB's never play division one. I played against a female QB in JV football with a better arm. How was he ever named "starter"?! Schussler's arm is so much stronger. My question is who does Cole have dirt on?! Did Cliff donate a truck load of cash?!
On to play calling/offense. We have much better than average receivers. A shallow, less than physical o-line. We have an elite tight end. We are shallow at QB, and RB. Why in Gods name would 40% of your plays be runs up the middle?! A blind monkey can see we can't have a physical run game with current personnel. Watson has been injury prone the last two years. He has missed more games than he played. He is too thin to run him 40 times a game. He needs to gain 15-20lbs before leaning on him as a work horse in the run game. Which, btw we have in Tyshon Dye who never plays! With the limitations we have, our strengths are still strong enough to lean on! You have to plan your game around your personnel. Not what you want the gameplan to be. Jet sweeps, bubble screens, wheel routes, screen passes, verticals attack, crossing patterns, etc., etc., etc. Set up the run, with the pass. Then, lean on the run game in the 4th when our pace has the defense gasping. Common sense should dictate that! I guarantee there are many teams in the top 25 that would kill for our skill players! Instead, we run a playbook that has Rob Spence written all over it. Is it arrogance?! I have never seen so much talent wasted! Leggett should be breaking records! Scott & Williams are beasts! Dye has major potential. Yet we run an undersized Gallman, Stoudt, or Watson up the gut behind a thin line. Over, and over. I thought Chad was a genius. I have never been so baffled! How can someone that smart not see the obvious?! This is easily the most frustrating season I can remember. I have been following every season since Coach Ford took over closely. I watched games with my Father in the 70's, but didn't understand the game as well. The next closest would be when Hatfield took a NC caliber team 10-2. I will always love my Tigers! But, Man! This is a painful stretch to watch!
Watson: Get with the nutrition program, carb load, protein load. Then load more! Pump a lot of weights! Gain 20lbs of weight! And please, PLEASE don't be the glass cannon I think you are! Your mind, arm, and skills are second to none! Put some insulation on that body & the injuries will be fewer & further between!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 8:20 AM

Largely agree...Watson is true freshman-did he have injuries as a HS senior? I thought Nick looked bad, but he probably had zero reps with first team at practice. Cole's problem is mental now. He's better physically than yesterday.

Someone posted Dabo is stubborn. Seems true to me as well.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:25 AM

This is what happens when you play daddy ball at the D1 level

It IS on Cole. Two pick six's changed he game completely.

Nov 16, 2014, 12:12 PM

Dabo is not being honest with us or himself if he really believes tha.

Nov 16, 2014, 12:14 PM

Why is no one talking about the real problem? No offense line a lot of injures but this is a big problem we have not had good offensive lineman in a long,long,long time need a great O line coach at Clemson Not A High School Coach and not some one from Furman we CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS

Nov 16, 2014, 12:15 PM

Absolute worst performance of a.Tiger QB in the 45 years of Clemson Football that I have been to and watched. Cole ,in my opinion, knows that this season is it. He will not move on to the NFL, so it seems that he is just going thru the motions to end the season the same way it was after the GA. game, completely shell shocked. Watson is out for rest of season, you have Nick and the transfer, bench Cole and work the crap out of.the.remaining 2 and start the better of the 2. Nick should get all first team snaps this week and GA State will be a good test for him. As far as USC game, if Nick proved he can run the Offense in the GA. State game, he starts against USC. He is our backup next season, so game experience this year is great for next season.

Nov 16, 2014, 7:48 PM

Good idea-let's do it. Somebody tell Chad.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic