Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So now that it's ACC tourney time...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,189

So now that it's ACC tourney time...

May 17, 2015, 1:26 PM

Obviously, we know the conference tournament hasn't been too kind to us after the switch from double elimination brackets to pool play after our tourney win in 2006 (10-14 since, only 3 winning records in pool play, & those 3 times we lost out the tiebreaker to play in the final). So bad juju is coming head to head with a late season surge & NCAA hopes are in the balance. Also gotta take into account that whether anyone will say it out loud or not, Jack Leggett is most likely coaching for his job.

So my question to you gents & ladies is what do you think needs to take place in Durham for us to make a regional?

Me: Given we got Louisville, FSU, and NC/VT in pool play, I think 3-0 and making it to the finals puts us on the right side of the bubble come selection time. 2-1 is iffy, but think if the 2 are over UL & FSU, we are in better shape than today. Anything below that, regional hopes are done & JL's hot seat becomes a volcano.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So now that it's ACC tourney time...

May 17, 2015, 2:21 PM

I think we can all agree that first and foremost a winning record within our pool is a must to be in consideration for an NCAA Regional bid,whether it be 2-1 or 3-0.Anything below 2-1 then we're sweating big time come Monday Selection Day and probably a real good bet of not making a Regional period.I personally think that with the sweep of Florida State this weekend and just making it to the championship game will get the Tigers in a Regional.One thing we can all be happy about though is that the Tigers are playing some pretty good Baseball at the right time coming into the postseason and feel good that there is a positive vibe among the team after a really good week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2015, 2:46 PM

I follow the guys at D1 Baseball pretty closely and they do projections for regionals every week. After this weekends sweep of FSU we finished 16-13 in the ACC and a 7-4 record vs. Top 25 teams. Our RPI is up to 56 and according to those guys over there with that conference record and record vs ranked teams, plus fresh sweep of FSU at their place, they said we are going to sneak into a regional. I think if we just go 2-1 in the ACC tourney especially if 1 of those 2 wins are Louisville, I think we get in. 3-0 would probably safely put us in and we all know winning the ACC would be automatic. With the vibe and confidence going around the club right now if we happen to beat Louisville I wouldn't be surprised if we win the tourney. However Miami is hotter than us right now. If I'm Leggett, Erwin starts the FSU game Wednesday after what he did to them Friday and let Crownover get Louisville Thursday and Long the VT/UNC winner Friday.

May 17, 2015, 3:37 PM

I am definitely no head coach just a fan so I could be wrong and it could work out nicely in the end what you are saying but personally I don't know about starting Erwin over Crownover for the Wednesday FSU game.I've just seen too many times in tournament play a team will start their second Pitcher in the Pitching rotation and opt to rest their ace Pitcher on the first day and things not work out then the opposing team will Pitch their number one guy and they just gain all kinds of momentum throughout the game with him possibly throwing a gem of a game.With that said whatever happens with the starting Pitching for that first game I trust Jack and Pep will make the right decision and things will turn out just the way we want it to and the Tigers will go on from there and win the tournament.

Message was edited by: HORRY TIGER 2®

May 17, 2015, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: So now that it's ACC tourney time... ]

Rjoye, I like your starting rotation strategy. Zach only threw 73 pitches on Friday because of the rain. 5 days rest would probably work. I doubt the coaches would do it, but I could see advantages for sure. Zach is certainly a nightmare pitcher for FSU's style of play - though I doubt FSU's looking forward to Crown either :)

If all are ready to go, pitch your best in game one.

May 17, 2015, 5:01 PM

Getting cute too often bites you in the a$$.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,189
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic