Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, if a receiver bobbles a fair catch attempt, the ball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,601

So, if a receiver bobbles a fair catch attempt, the ball

Sep 26, 2015, 9:09 PM

apparently has to hit the ground before the kicking team can recover it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, if a receiver bobbles a fair catch attempt, the ball

Sep 26, 2015, 9:14 PM

just looked it up. that's the rule. news to me too.

yes - you can't touch the player or ball until

Sep 26, 2015, 9:14 PM

the ball hits the ground - if you do, it is fair catch interference. He has the right to the ball as long as it is in the air.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, we got called for it last year if you recall

Sep 26, 2015, 9:21 PM

against usuck on the short kickoff. Refs called it right.

PR can still catch it even if he bobbles it...

Sep 26, 2015, 9:21 PM

so the fair catch signal is still valid. Obviously, he can no longer can catch it after the ball hits the ground.

yep. that's always been the rule***

Sep 26, 2015, 9:25 PM

Re: So, if a receiver bobbles a fair catch attempt, the ball

Sep 26, 2015, 9:51 PM

So what happens when the receiving player bobbles the fair catch and the ball lands in the hands of the kicking team without ever touching the ground?

So why not bobble the ball all the way to the endzone.***

Sep 26, 2015, 9:56 PM

Can't advance the ball after a fair catch.***

Sep 26, 2015, 10:08 PM

Yes I am aware of this.

Sep 27, 2015, 2:44 AM

I have also watched this game called football before. My question should have been stated more clearly. What prevents a player (other than the fact that it is outright dumb) from intentionally bobbling a ball forward. He could bobble a fair catch forward into an opposing player intentionally for the extra 15 yd penalty. Or even hypothetically bobble it forward say 75 yds or so until he is in the endzone and then "make the catch". Therefore not breaking the very well known rule of not advancing a fair catch. Fair catch is placed at the spot of the "catch" and not the spot where he signals fair catch. Yes I know this is all ridiculously hpothetical, but I was just wondering.

Good question. It's illegal batting.

Sep 27, 2015, 11:59 AM

If there's a loose ball (bad snap, muffed punt, fumble, etc), you can't intentionally kick it. You also can't bat it toward the other team's goal line. So if there's a fumble, and your team *intentionally* punches the ball toward the other team's endzone, that's a penalty.

The same logic applies to someone who muffs a punt intentionally and bats the ball (bobbles it, as you say) all the way down the field for a touchdown. You have scored a goofy TD that's going to get called back.

(However, if you were so inclined, you could bat the ball backwards to your OWN endzone.)

That's why when there's a bad snap, the kicker can shovel the ball backwards out of the endzone. That's just a backwards pass. You're allowed to do that unless you're trying to kill the clock, which is akin to intentional grounding and is a penalty. You shouldn't KICK the ball out of the endzone unless the ball is already in the endzone. If you kick the ball out of the endzone when the ball is on the two yard line, the other team would just take the penalty (assuming it was 4th down): loss of down, half the distance to the goal, other team takes over on your 1.

Thanks Mojo...

Sep 27, 2015, 12:11 PM

But in other words... It's only illegal if you get caught.??. I am thinking of a new trick play.

Good actors needed.***

Sep 27, 2015, 12:13 PM

Bad rule! Once the ball is touched, it should be fair game

Sep 27, 2015, 12:28 PM

Just like pass interference goes out the window once the pass is tipped.

I can see how there has to be a rule that the ball can't be touched until the guy calling fair catch has a chance to field it ... we lost a great on-sides kick against SCAR last season because we violated this rule.

But, it's hard to understand why the kicking team should get a "do-over" once they've muffed their initial fair catch opportunity without any interference.

Just seems like an ill-conceived rule that needs to be looked at.

When it happened, both members of the TV announcing team thought the call was blown just like most of us and the poor Vandy player.

The call was right, but the rule is wrong.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,601
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic