Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell was taken to the wood shed last night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Brownell was taken to the wood shed last night

Jan 24, 2018, 12:05 PM

You can say we shouldn't have expected to win anyway or spin it however you want but that is reality. It was a well contested game in the first half, Virginia made the adjustments and we didn't...simple as that. It happens. Dabo took a whooping and was subsequently shown by Saban a week later when to go with the highly touted freshman.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell didn't lose, the entire team lost

Jan 24, 2018, 12:08 PM

It was more of an execution problem than adjustments. 19 turnovers were too much to overcome. The turnover out of a timeout is a perfect example. CBB can draw up a perfect play, but if the players are sloppy and throw the ball away, and don't execute, that's on them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The Clemson basketball program lost to the UVA

Jan 24, 2018, 12:12 PM

basketball program.

Not really that shocking, if you look at all the factors.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell = Bowden***

Jan 24, 2018, 12:13 PM

A great glimpse into the psyche of short-tempered fans.

Jan 24, 2018, 12:19 PM

When things don't meet personal expectations, Coach = Bowden

When another fan isn't as angry, Fan = accepting mediocrity

Wash, rinse and repeat.

So his overall 8 years here has not been mediocre?!***

Jan 24, 2018, 12:28 PM

Re: So his overall 8 years here has not been mediocre?!***

Jan 24, 2018, 12:55 PM

It's been 8 years already? My how time flies.

Re: A great glimpse into the psyche of short-tempered fans.

Jan 24, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to A great glimpse into the psyche of short-tempered fans. ]

I'm not sure when you became Brad's great defender but the Bowden comparison has always been an idiotic one. Brad has failed to even make the post-season 4 out of his 7 years here. That is the equivalent of not being bowl eligible. Brad has accomplished nothing compared to Tommy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you cannot compare making a bowl to making the tourney....

Jan 24, 2018, 1:10 PM

there are 337 eligible ncaa tourney teams in basketball... 68 make the tournament. that means only 20% of eligible teams make it. even less than that when you consider almost half of those are automatic qualifiers.

in football, there are 128 bowl eligible teams... 80 of those make a bowl. that means 62.5% of teams make a bowl.

THATS NOT EVEN A CLOSE COMPARISON.

To add to it, there are literally teams with LOSING records that make a bowl. In basketball, you have to be roughly 20-10 (and you can cite teams like the coots who won 23 a few years ago and were left out).

That is all!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you cannot compare making a bowl to making the tourney....

Jan 24, 2018, 3:12 PM

I didn’t. I compared it to no postseason. Not even the NIT and that is a fair comparison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still not a fair comparison. Even including NIT, less than

Jan 27, 2018, 7:36 PM

30% of teams make the post-season, whereas two thirds of football teams play in a bowl game. So...it is over TWICE as hard to make the Big Dance or NIT, as it is to make a bowl game!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

April 23, 2010

Jan 24, 2018, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: A great glimpse into the psyche of short-tempered fans. ]

Is when I became a brad supporter.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'm not doing it because I want to defend Brad Brownell,

Jan 24, 2018, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: A great glimpse into the psyche of short-tempered fans. ]

I'm just pointing out that people generally do not have reasonable expectations. Clemson basketball, historically has been mediocre at best. We have been to the Sweet 16 only three in our entire history right?

In the last 25 years, we have been to the tourney 7 times. In the 25 years before that...4 times. Our first 17 coaches never even made it to the NCAA national tourney. Heck, Cliff Ellis only made the tournament 3 times his whole career here, and that was awesome!

The last two coaches who seemed to elevate us beyond our mediocre history, Rick Barnes and Oliver Purnell, bailed on us.

What do you want? Who do you think we can hire? Clemson basketball is Wake Forest football. I'm happy with this season, and the UVA game didn't change that.

Re: I'm not doing it because I want to defend Brad Brownell,

Jan 24, 2018, 3:18 PM

I don’t know. The fanbase, at least as reflected here, has made it abdunantly clear they don’t give a ####, so maybe this is the best we’re gonna do. But we did make the tournament 4 years in a row before managing only 2 NITs in the next 6. So I think we had pretty clear, empirical evidence that we can do better. But people seem to want to reinvision history to frame Brownell in a better light. Even if we finish strong, make the tourney, and pick up a win or two - there is little reason to believe Brownell is not gonna revert to the mean.

I definitely give a ****. I'm just happy about this season

Jan 25, 2018, 10:30 AM

up until this point. And I don't necessarily believe, at this particular point, that firing Brad Brownell will improve the program over the next 5 years. Maybe it would, but things are going much better than usual for Clemson basketball right now. Any time you fire a coach that is performing better than the historical average,(with no obvious target to replace him) I think you are more than likely putting your program at a disadvantage.

Re: I'm not doing it because I want to defend Brad Brownell,

Jan 24, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I'm not doing it because I want to defend Brad Brownell, ]

Why am I not shocked that viztiz and Jhop83® are magically showing up today for the first time all year.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

We're waiting for a Bowden still maybe. Then we find a Dabo.

Jan 24, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Brownell = Bowden*** ]

Anyway, we're like the Milwaukee Brewers in baseball trying to win a championship. The best players don't want to play there when they can go to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. I like the direction CBB has us going in though. I see the improvement with recruits. I would ike to see what he does over the 2 seasons following this one. He is upgrading talent.

Re: Brownell = Bowden***

Jan 24, 2018, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Brownell = Bowden*** ]

I really like Brownell but we were a constant top 25 team with Bowden in football. Brownell has not come close to the success Bowden had.

That's mean

Jan 25, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Brownell = Bowden*** ]

Bowden took over a struggling program and got us to 7-9 wins every year.

Brownlee took over a perennial conference team and turned us into this.

Re: Brownell was taken to the wood shed last night

Jan 24, 2018, 12:29 PM

so many idiots, so little time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: taken to the wood shed - What year is this ??

Jan 24, 2018, 12:38 PM

I lose track...

Jan 24, 2018, 12:55 PM

Since Bennett(UVA) and Brownell(CU) has been in the ACC, both teams have been consistently good defensive teams. I don't think Clemson was as good defensively last year, but most years this has been the case. Bennett knows they can win a slugfest (50's even 40's game). UVA hit the outside shot in the second half and Clemson did not. That's the game. It wasn't like UVA went off for a ton of points, but they took care of the ball and knocked down some shots. UVA does that to teams. I'll take good defense before offense any day. You know you are going to be in every ball game with good defense. There are nights when shots are not falling, but defense gives you a chance.

Can you and others drop the whole "put in the freshman"

Jan 24, 2018, 2:09 PM

thing? Just because Bama put in Tua and miraculously won the game in no way, shape, or form provides any evidence that it would have altered the outcome of our game at all.

You could actually make a case that we would have been beaten worse if we had put in Johnson, as evidenced by how he played in mop up duty over the course of the year against P5 teams, let alone one of the top defenses in the country.

Now that that is out of the way, you also cannot blame the whole game on coaching when UVA has a considerable talent advantage on us and also is one of the best defensive (if not the best) teams in the nation. It's just simply ludicrous for you to put 100% of the blame on 1 coach based on the results.

However, I'm not sure why we should expect something different from you, you rarely change or alter your drivel you continuously post.

Re: Can you and others drop the whole "put in the freshman"

Jan 24, 2018, 5:13 PM

Lack of talent is not an excuse in year 8. It’s also Brownells job to recruit.

Our last coach had us consistently winning in the ACC and making the tourney every year in much less than 8 seasons.

Re: Can you and others drop the whole "put in the freshman"

Jan 25, 2018, 10:44 AM

I never said lack of talent, I said that UVA's talent was clearly better. That can be represented with facts and statistics.

Our last coach also had us routinely dropping ### games and struggled in the majority of tournaments (both ACC and NCAA) and when he left he didn't exactly leave a "star-studded" team.

The ACC was also down during those years, so we took advantage of those times when we put together that streak. I mean we only won 10 games in the ACC ONE TIME so no, we were not "consistently winning" it was just that other teams were not winning as much.

Revisionist history is all that is.

Jan 24, 2018, 4:11 PM

Congrats on one of your first bball posts of the year.

Another great fan.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Please tell me you didn't just compare Brownlee to Dabo

Jan 25, 2018, 10:36 AM

Please tell me you're smarter than that.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic