Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So does anyone feel different about expanding to 8 teams?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

So does anyone feel different about expanding to 8 teams?

Dec 31, 2018, 1:23 PM

Would the results be any different? The additional game would be entertaining, I would attend.

An additional game against strong competition could lead to more injuries at the end of a long season. The two teams in the final might not be the best teams due to an injury early on. The top two QB's go down early on and UGA and OSU play for the Natty? Worse yet, UCF and ND play in the final? Do we really want to see that?

The players wouldn't have a break from Thanksgiving on. The off week for someone like Alabama last year would give an even more advantage.

Home game in the first round? I doubt the schools get to keep a lot of the money. Add another fan cross country trip.

I thought 8 sounded fun. I don't think so anymore.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just more added costs for fans. They should keep it at 4 but

Dec 31, 2018, 1:25 PM

have teams 1 and 2 host the game at their home stadium splitting tickets 50/50 for both teams. Costs are adding up for Clemson and Bama fans having to travel all over the country for 2 playoff games a year. They're killing the college atmosphere at these games.

Re: So does anyone feel different about expanding to 8 teams?

Dec 31, 2018, 1:29 PM

No, not until there are 5 major undefeateds left after conference championship games. I'm personally in favor of reducing the number to 2. This is the first year two undefeateds have met in a semifinal, and to me three major undefeateds is the only reason to even have 4 teams, which is pretty rare.

The most important function of the Playoff was to end...

Dec 31, 2018, 1:45 PM

the years of ESPiN pushing an obvious loser into the path of the SEC champion. The next priority was to determine which team was a true national champion. The third and least important goal was to find the four best teams.

In this system the BCS goal will always be met. The Playoff Committee has four guesses with which to find the National Championship. The best team has to prove itself twice. A reasonable person would know that at least two of those goals was met. The third is insignificant if the first two are met.

Should UGA have been in the playoff? No, no one gets a do-over. If you can't get past a team you don't deserve another shot. If we start creating rematches to the regular season and the CCGs next we'll have to go to the best of three, then the best of five then the best of seven.

Perhaps we should expand but if we do where is the cutoff point? If it goes to 6 and three SEC teams don't make it ESPiN will want 8. No matter what the PO system does ESPiN will want one more SEC team to be included until the entire conference is included.

That's the entire story as I see it. Others are welcome to question or correct my assessment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most important function of the Playoff was to end...

Dec 31, 2018, 1:56 PM

It stops when every team in FBS team has a clear path to winning the national title by going out on the field and winning. When that’s not enough the system needs to change.

Dec 31, 2018, 1:55 PM

Never have wanted it. I havent changed a bit on that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still want the expansion. Mind not changed.***

Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say 6.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 PM

Power 5 conference champs plus one wildcard. Give #1 and 2 a bye.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I say 6.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:23 PM

A six team playoff, only makes it harder for 3 &4 to advance. Besides who else DESERVED to be in. This year it would have been 0310 st and do-over dawgs. I don't see either of those teams adding anything to the playoffs.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:29 PM

Bowl expansions have been such a hit, let's just use them for the playoffs. Do away w/reg. season games and just start w/bowl games playoffs for natty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic