Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, call me crazy, but is King THAT good?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

So, call me crazy, but is King THAT good?

Oct 6, 2020, 12:20 AM

I get it, he makes plays, he is athletic and has a live arm. But here is the thing. He made his rep against AAC or whatever conference Houston is in. I'm not trying to be funny, but CUSA, AAC are all kinda interchangeable to me. Oh, yeah, he also made his rep against Oklahomas defense his first year. Thats right.. OK LA HOLLLMA! Call me when they play defense there. Not since Switzer left. So.. IS he that good? I mean, they beat down FSU who was last seen giving up plays to Zerrick Cooper, remember him? So.. is he an improvement over anything they have had since 2002? Probably. I just get the feeling he is more Marcus Vick than Mike. Good, but not Great. Go Tigers.

Message was edited by: jarheadtiger®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, call me crazy, but is King THAT good?

Oct 6, 2020, 12:31 AM

I’m wondering the same. He has had poor competition but he definitely is a spark plug. Before our game Saturday I would’ve thought we would easily shut him down. Now, not so sure. Hopefully BV will get the troops back in good form and settle any doubts about our defense. I think we rise to the occasion but not without a challenge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on what I’ve seen he can’t throw a deep ball

Oct 6, 2020, 12:46 AM

He’s pretty accurate 15 yards or less.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 1:16 AM

My worry would be his running, especially on 3rd down. Also the dink and dunk. Pressure him, but with containment. I’d expect some exotic blitzes as the defensive playbook opens up....a little at least.

Oct 6, 2020, 7:07 AM

I think this is it right here. His legs are really what is troublesome. I also think we have probably been pretty stale with the play calling saving it up for this spot here. So we shall see!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 6:17 AM

If UVA's QB can run on the Tigers, King will certainly get his yards.

Our D line, especially or Defensive ends, will have to step up their game big time compared to last Saturday night.

Oct 6, 2020, 11:28 AM

And this is my concern as well.

Oct 6, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: So, call me crazy, but is King THAT good? ]

Maybe, just maybe, that was BVs plan. Kinda like SC a few years back. Give up some of those plays knowing the game was in hand, and hide the true defense for bigger games later down the road. Trust in Venables!

Oct 6, 2020, 7:27 PM

Lol. You think BV intentionally gave up all those plays against USuCk in 2018?

That is good stuff.

D'eriq King Is Pass First! Don't Be Fooled

Oct 6, 2020, 7:54 PM

Whoever it was that said he would panic if his first read is taken away clearly has not seen him play. He isn't just your typical "athlete" playing QB. He is a QB first!
I know BV knows better - thank goodness!
You have to prepare for a kid that is pass first. Career completion % of 62.5% to compare our Heisman Trophy contender(should be winner if it was my choice) career completion percent is 66.2% King has 7, 239 career total yards. 8, 547 is what Trevor has. Keeping in mind he didn't have the WR group he has now at Miami. His only flaw was being 5'11 and "stereotyped" as a athlete playing QB. People wanted him to play DB at bigger schools but he answered the call that was burning in him to play QB. In 2018 they were talking about this kid for Heisman.
So, whoever said that, you don't know what you don't know I guess! But, this kid can pass with accuracy! This season with better WR's he is passing it at 67%. Brennan Armstrong ( UVA QB ) who hit some timely passes on us is only a 54.5% passer this year! But, most would agree he gave us trouble.

As Quozzel said though - Miami does not have the veteran/Big 10 like OL that UVA has either! Though Miami has better skill players!

In short, King is as good as advertised, but Miami won't get far with him either on his back or running for his life "in a contained" pocket!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D'eriq King Is Pass First! Don't Be Fooled

Oct 6, 2020, 8:08 PM

You completely get it sir!

This should be King's worst game of the season because of D-line but he's still (IMO) the 3rd best offensive player in the conference after TL and ETN.

Re: D'eriq King Is Pass First! Don't Be Fooled

Oct 6, 2020, 8:15 PM

MoCity said:

You completely get it sir!

This should be King's worst game of the season because of D-line but he's still (IMO) the 3rd best offensive player in the conference after TL and ETN.

I would put Sam Howell above King at this point; but they are interchangeable at 3 and 4. And, yep, I agree with you. This kid can play the Quarter Back position well!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well i don't think anyone is saying he's Mike Vick

Oct 6, 2020, 11:37 AM

If he were Mike Vick the line wouldn't have opened above 2 TDs and i would be ALOT more worried about losing Saturday.

I think King is good though. He might end up being the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league this year depending on whether or not Sam Howell can shake off his slow start.

Oct 6, 2020, 2:03 PM

He is decent...Deep ball leaves a lot o be desired. The key to beating him is to make him make bad decisions. Make him have to make reads..Take away his initial target and he will panic and try to buy the time with his feet. He is very athletic but his pocket presence is awful.

Defensively...like another poster said...Blitz with containment...Rush the edges to keep him inside and collapse the pocket...We want him trying to escape between the tackles to where the LBs can clean it up...I think the DEs will be key in this game..Foster, Henry, Murphy, and Mascoll need to set the edge with containment...Try not to get to happy and leave their assignment in pursuit of King...thats when he will get to the edge and hurt you...

Offensively...Ladson needs to emerge as a threat this game because the Miami secondary is a tick below from being awful. This is definitely an area that Tony Scott can exploit...He has got to be licking his chops at this...I think we will throw the ball a lot more often this game because of the opportunities that will be presented.

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Oct 6, 2020, 2:11 PM

I watched his highlights against UAB and found a few against FSU. He's legit. As others have mentioned, his RB-like capabilities are a real threat. He's quick with decisions, so that can be good or bad for us. The main uncertainty in my opinion is the quality of defenses that they have played so far. Afraid it may be a back and forth scoring event. Hopefully, someone has some insight on Miami's other positions as I have no clue. How's their OL, DL, WR, and overall Defense?

Oct 6, 2020, 4:17 PM

They're better defenses than you think. Only 74 teams have played so far, but all three of their opponents have top 50 defenses. UAB seems a legit G5 team with a top 30 defense. Obviously nothing on Clemson's defense, but better than you expect by Florida State and Louisville's records.

Oct 6, 2020, 2:39 PM

He's pretty durn good, based on what I've seen. He's certainly a more dangerous version of the guy we just got done playing with UVA - highly mobile, can create and get out of trouble and do damage with his feet, and has enough arm to hurt you.

Difference is, his O-line is not nearly as good. King is going to get some yards and he's a heckuva player but he is going to get chased and hit a lot more often than UVA's QB did.

Miami does not have the line play UVA did, though their skill is better.

Oct 6, 2020, 3:55 PM

He's good. Class of 2016 so he's experienced. Enrolled at Houston for 3 years, transferred to Miami this year.

In 2016, ESPN had him as a 4 star, 247 had him as 3 star. We offered him out of high school although he was a little undersized.

Good arm, very quick on the run. He's a good dual-threat QB but Miami's O line isn't going to save him from Brent Venables ravenous defense.

Tigers by 23.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

shhh...

Oct 6, 2020, 4:03 PM

you are ruining the hype

Our DL has been relying on true freshmen with talent, but

Oct 6, 2020, 5:00 PM

no experience.

This week we get the experience back.

Trust me. Yes he is.

Oct 6, 2020, 6:47 PM

King played HS ball down the street from where I live. I watched him quite a bit at UH. Most of you have no idea.

King is indeed a dynamic runner but he is a pass-first QB that is also accurate. So forget the Michael Vick comparison.

The key is our D-line must pressure him (in a contained way) or we are in trouble. If given time, he will carve us up. Gotta make him release quick and also jam receivers.

King is on his way to fulfilling my preseason prediction he is the 3rd best offensive player in the conference after our two studs (or maybe just the 3rd best player on either side).

I expect we'll get plenty of pressure on him because Miami's O-line isn't that good.

Their RB Cam'Ron Harris is dangerous and capable of breaking off big plays.

Bottom line: Our offense should roll and Miami won't be able to keep up. I expect them to score somewhere in the high 20s.

Re: Trust me. Yes he is.

Oct 6, 2020, 6:54 PM

If he were that good he would as good as Mitch Tribisky. HTH.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 7:00 PM

You are crazy if you think he isn't that good. If you have watched him play much you would know. When I heard he was going to Miami I knew he would make them a much better team than they were. Dude is a baller.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic