Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So a first down is going to buy a defense another 90
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,282

So a first down is going to buy a defense another 90

Sep 5, 2014, 8:49 PM

seconds of rest at minimum, whereas putting the brakes on a HUNH offense is going to buy only 40 seconds tops over 3 plays, and disrupting the normal pace and practice rhythm at the same time.

If you practice at a fast HUNH pace and build your offense around this, I see all kinds of problems created when you try to step off the gas to buy some time extra time for whatever reason. If an offense doesn't get a first down, are the 30-40 extra seconds over 3 plays you're saving really worth it? Running out a clock at the end of the game is one thing, but from a "buy some time" strategy, it's inherently flawed.

The playcalling itself is one thing. You can still minimize risk with safer calls, but pulling back on the tempo just doesn't add up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are going to lose to SCS tomorrow if you don't...

Sep 5, 2014, 8:50 PM

focus, lou.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So a first down is going to buy a defense another 90

Sep 5, 2014, 9:42 PM

Correct, except when three and outs occur in succession....yep, that may be a problem

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So a first down is going to buy a defense another 90

Sep 5, 2014, 9:47 PM

You can regularly watch Alabama, Stanford, LSU use up 1/2 a quarter on one drive. They do not do it with tempo.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,282
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic